EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Swashbuckler
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Buckeye

Loremaster

Let's hear your strats for beating the Pit Champion in Splitpaw.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:56 AM   #2
Ba

Well, generally this guys is a defiler (all 8 times for me), which means low parry, and low chance to riposte.

Being a long casting caster, you have plenty of interrupts (flash of steel, razor edge, cheap shot, disheartening guile) to screw his casting.

That said, avoiding his melee and interrupting him and using bow attacks whenever possible is the best way to do this, good poison is also recommended. I can do this w/o potions but if you need it get it.

(Very hard level 57 champion is still pretty easy, loot is not worth it tho)

Message Edited by Bato on 07-03-2005 12:03 AM

Virene - 50 Swashbuckler - 50 Alchemist - Fallen Disciple
Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Styl

I personally find this hard to believe. 

I'm a 50 swash.  I have full Fabled Armor.  I have my prismatic, and another fabled pierce weapon.  I have 9 master spells, and the rest are all adept 3.  I self buff to about 250 agi, and about 220 str.  I used player crafted poisens, a sta / str potion, a AC increase potion, a HP increase potion, and a magic dmg shiled potion.  I mez'd, backstab.  I stun backstab.  I kited.  I did everything within my ability to beat this guy.  Best I did was get him to 5% out of about 7 tries. 

Btw. this was the hard version also.  Couldn't even get to him on the very hard.

Styl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
Ba

well... (Thanks Mad Marty)

Message Edited by Bato on 07-13-2005 02:50 PM

Old 07-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Dark_Sun

Loremaster

Finished him from third try.

Used stiffle poison, since he doted me a lot first 2 times. Also used Inspired Daring to riposte his hits. Every 30 seconds i mezzed him and used Brazen Thrust. After Brazen Thrust i snared him, runed away and used Friged Blast. Then melee again.

In the end i think it was pure luck i beat him... had only 3% hp left =)

Very hard mob, requires all skills we have and a lot of luck.
Dark_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
mike367

Nice fight to those who beat him, I still need to max out my bow at lvl 50 lol.
mike367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #7
Meryddian

Loremaster

(Anyone know the HTML to resize pics?)

If you don't have a program like Photoshop on your computer, go to your "Paint" program (you will likely have it under Start > Programs > Accessories; if it's not there poke around in the folders within Accessories to find it).

Once you have your picture open within Paint, go to Image > Stretch/Skew. About 60% should be enough to make it fit onto boards w/out having to scroll.

Melime Darkstryder 85 SK/ Xiantia DarkFlyght 80 inq/ Sinikka Eversings 80 troub/ GUK

Meryddian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
Ba

I know how to resize the picture itself... was looking for html code that does it

Old 07-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
Triccer

Loremaster

Well ok the best I got him so far was him out of power and 17% health after a heal, me oop and dead... Without use of any fancy stuff like rare poisons or fabled items. Actually I was wearing a PGT and a shield. Think there's a good chance of beating him with a lil luck even without good equipment. SMILEY
Triccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:05 AM   #10
Styl

Shields must make more difference then I thought.  I duel wield every time I fight him.  Seems like the people using shields are doing much better.  Might have to try that next time.
Styl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #11
Darchon6

Loremaster

Using ancient combine longsword and uktrl's round shield of stealth, I deal more dps than my prismatic / vicious sai combo.  one handed weapons seem to proc more often than dual wield. /shrug.  Plus I get the extra avoidance and block rate, which help out a ton.  By doing a combination of bow kiting and combat arts to interrupt his spells, I defeated the pit champion with 40% hp to spare.

Self buffed, I'm 4237 hp, 2217 mitigation.  w/ 225 str, 260 agi, 175 sta.  (master 1 self buffs, elixer of reflectoin used)

The key is to not spend the whole fight tanking him, else you'll die a painful death SMILEY

Koldsteel Sinslayer
50 swashbuckler
Clan Lynx
Steamfont server

90 Assassin

Tyranny

Oasis
Darchon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:26 AM   #12
Peileii

Loremaster

Maybe I'm doing something disturbingly wrong, but...

I can't get past Phosm Strongbend.  I've gotten him down to about 15% on my best try, but sometimes he's barely past 50 before I get plastered.  I've tried everything... Bladeweaver, AGI ring, Bubbling blood poison, heal potion, stun/backstab, mez/HO/backstab, gnoll master strike, Artful Finesse, Daring Advance... What am I doing wrong?  This guy's special attacks are really doing a number on me.

Peileii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #13
Mhyrr

General

I am a level 31 SB and the only way I can beat Phosm is to go all bow.  I stay out of his melee and run around and kill him with the bow.  I died to the next 2 even conned mobs.  All my gear is orange, and I have 2 orange poisons on my weapons.  Also, when I do the trial of Harclave, you know the one where you get the buff that supposedly makes you hard to kill, I almost die to group mobs and have to escape out.  Welcome to the most gimped class ever.
Mhyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #14
Mad Marty

Loremaster

or

You can set both height and width - but it you only set one the correct aspect ratio will be retained.

Mad Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #15
Vear

Loremaster

Nope and man is it frustrating. I'm lvl 31 w/ orange gear, adepts, and the best potions/poison I can buy and I have yet to even get to the Pit Master.  And this is even after the pit master revamp.  Somehow I dont think any dev even tried with a low level swashy during testing.  If there is a technique to do it with a low 30s character please share it. I want my little shroom buddy.
Vear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:29 PM   #16
Gyilok

Loremaster

you dont have to beat the champ to get the shroom, you can stop right before and get the prize
Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #17
Vear

Loremaster

Well I usually die on yellowtooth or the boar.  Just trying to figure out what I must be doing wrong.
Vear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:12 AM   #18
Dazzler_Twodir

At 46 Yellowtooth destroyed me.

Mentoring a 28 I got up to the second gnoll and was almost killed.

I used evac when it was appearant i was losing.

The swashuckler i was mentoring had weapons that will proc at his level mine won't do that while mentoring.

Now residing at 5 Erolissi Lane South Qeynos
Dazzler_Twodir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #19
Triccer

Loremaster

That's a simple matter of kiting.Yellowtooth is very tough if you try to melee him, sometimes it might work, somtimes not. If you try to melee Phosm you are facing an almost certain defeat. Get a nice long bow (such as a pristine imbued cedar long bow), get some playercrafted poisons, such as withering spirit as well as Turbulent Misery for a poison debuff and kite them. If you stick to pure kiting your hps will hardly get below 90% on both, Yellowtooth and Phosm. Get some cheaper arrows such as carbonite ones, turn on ranged autoattack, run backwards and keep facing the mob with as much camera distance as possible. Use Frigid Blast whenever it pops. If you want to stay unscratched, equip a good shield and a PGT while kiting. If they get low, you may as well close in to melee and finish them off to save some time.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #20
Syrano

Loremaster

At 50 on my first try I made it to the pit champ. Quit to get my little shroom and hogs head before the champ.  I have the best crafted armor, but I didn't kite once.  Yellowtooth/Phosm were close fights but both one.  On the second time through, Yellowtooth kicked my butt, primarily because I was practicing some strategies to try against the Pit Champ.  Clearly, they weren't good ideas SMILEY

Vestas Shadowdancer____________________
Swashbuckler of Oasis - Profile

Syrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:49 AM   #21
Liil

Loremaster

Peileii wrote:

Maybe I'm doing something disturbingly wrong, but...

I can't get past Phosm Strongbend.  I've gotten him down to about 15% on my best try, but sometimes he's barely past 50 before I get plastered.  I've tried everything... Bladeweaver, AGI ring, Bubbling blood poison, heal potion, stun/backstab, mez/HO/backstab, gnoll master strike, Artful Finesse, Daring Advance... What am I doing wrong?  This guy's special attacks are really doing a number on me.

I too am struggling here, it seems this event is just way too hard.  I've haven't even seen the Pit Champion yet, i'm also stuck on Phosm Strongbend.  I am no uber character by far.  I have regular gear and weapons (all white/Yellow), i have 1 master spell and the rest are adept 1's.  (Got the rubies for upgrades but i have serious issues finding jewelers - but thats a different issue...)

Is the event supposed to be this difficult for a class who is strongest from the back?  I constantly mez/stun to enable backstabbing, i use all my buffs, HO's and poisons. 
There is talk of using Shields and Bows as the main way to defeat these mobs.  I would have to change my whole strategy, my whole way of fighting.

I would like to hear some more comments on the strat to drop as well as the Pit Champion please SMILEY

Liil - Level 50 Swashbuckler

Message Edited by Liil on 07-17-2005 01:00 AM

Old 07-17-2005, 05:04 AM   #22
Triccer

Loremaster

First off, this event isn't easy by any means. I have yet to beat the champ in a fair fight myself. Don't get discouraged if you don't manage to kill the champion. There are very questionable ways of beating him easily (been discussed in the swashie world channel, wont post that here), so don't think he's easy just cause some people call him that and have beaten him with hardly any lost hps. Secondly, there is no loss in pride when you don't go toe to toe with every mob as a swashbuckler, you are a bow using scout with a superb attack like Frigid Blast and snares for a reason. SMILEY Both Yellowtooth and Phosm are strong fighters, with their interrupts, their evade rate and mitigation they make melee combat very hard. If you are lucky you will get hits in and your cheap shot backstab will work too. If you aren't you'll get blocked, parried and riposted all the time and when you try the stun+backstab they will interrupt your cheap shot, poison procs will break your stun and you don't stand perfectly aligned behind the mob. I find all the jumpy around stuff hardly gets you any advantage against strong melee mobs. Often enough the attacks you miss out on while trying to pull it off and failing make it worse than not doing anything at all. Another thing to be said is the power use you have when you use advanced tactics like mezzing plus brazen thrust. The mezz makes that move twice as costy. And the probability to land the follow up attacks to make it pay off are rather slim against fighter mobs. Sometimes it does pay off, but certainly not on a reliable basis. Additionaly, if you use damage poisons, there's a high chance of the whole mezzing getting screwed up. So your best bet is going ranged autoattack + Frigid Blast with high DoT Poisons as well as a poison resistance debuff poison and only occassionaly closing in for Uncanny Speed and Razor Edge. The only thing you do apart from that is launch a checkmate after a hit when it is up. If you have a shadow hex doll you can make things easier with that. And don't worry, it's really ok to kite, even as a swashie. SMILEY I have a lvl 39 swashie in my guild and she was getting increasingly frustrated when I told her to kite to beat the arena. She replied something along the lines of: 'I don't really feel like playing this char much anymore when I can't achieve the things I want to achieve without having to kite.' Luckily I could snatch her for a training lesson and now she's a happily kiting swashie who loves her class again. SMILEY
Old 07-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #23
Syrano

Loremaster

I resent having to kite, given that we have one, count it, one, bow attack. Besides the word "Swashbuckler" doesn't really inspire visions of arrow flinging. However, the option is available and frankly, one of the only garaunteed ways to win.  However, it is *so much* easier to win via kiting (if you know how to move around that space well, comes from years of learning how to kite in small places in EQ1) that the kiting approach borders on the absurd.  You should *not* be finishing the Pit Champion with almost full HP's, that means he poses no risk.  But that's exaclty what kiting does. However, it is within the realm of allowable by the skills we have and it does take some skill. Which is better than certain other means Triccer may have refered to. Can he be beaten by swashies? Yes. But he also demonstrates our single biggest weakness.  Our debuffs/interrupts are just not, well, as useful as they should be against a mob of this type.  We need something extra.  Either better avoidance (could risk being too good a tank), or better debuffs (risks being too powerful).  Or better, a mob scaled to Scout capabilities.  Or, if they want us to kite, give us more than one skill line in bow attacks. It's that or it demonstrates just what the flaws are in the current combat balance of classes. For the record, toe-to-toe, I have gotten the Pit Champion down to about %5 health.  He *is* beatable this way, but it takes a TON of luck and careful timing.  I ended up forcing myself to kite this bad boy a bit, just a bit, plus consume a fortunes worth of health potions.  My swashy pride wouldn't let me finish him with a bow SMILEY

Old 07-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #24
Liil

Loremaster

Triccer wrote:

I have a lvl 39 swashie in my guild and she was getting increasingly frustrated when I told her to kite to beat the arena. She replied something along the lines of: 'I don't really feel like playing this char much anymore when I can't achieve the things I want to achieve without having to kite.' Luckily I could snatch her for a training lesson and now she's a happily kiting swashie who loves her class again. SMILEY

Triccer, thank you for your post. I feel like your 39 swashie friend atm.  I love my class, if i was to start all over again, i'd still be a swashie, they possess all the skills i am looking for in a class.  I have never attempted kiting, but thats because i have never seen a swashie as a kiting class.  I am goin to get my ranged skill improved (it sux atm) then try it again. 

I was feeling deflated before, having died numerous times to this event.  I even mentored down to level 46 so the mobs would be green to me and i'd still get the credit, still did not complete.  But now, i'm gonna learn to kite and i'm gonna beat this event at level 50 if it kills me...  which it most probably will SMILEY

Liil - 50 Swashbuckler
GUK Server

for spelling purposes :smileywink:

Message Edited by Liil on 07-17-2005 10:27 AM

Old 07-17-2005, 08:05 PM   #25
Triccer

Loremaster

Err one more thing... SMILEY I didn't manage to kill the pit champion with kiting. When I tried to, his spells and occassional melee hits ate me. Kiting works like a charm against the melee mobs i.e. Yellowtooth and Phosm. Against the Champion the dps via kiting alone wont be enough to finish him quickly enough (at least in my case). If you want to win you will have to be lucky and interrupt his spells while scoring melee hits with Uncanny Speed, Flash of Steel, Razor Edge. Even Cheap Shot comes in very handy as an interrupt since it costs about 10 power. Kiting by no means allowed me to go out of the fight without dented hps, I ended up dead or escaping every single time. Again, I can't stress enough that this fight is highly dependant on luck. Scenario A: You kite him successfully, Frigid Blast and ranged autoattack hit and proc poison/gleaming strike. He tries to cast and you move in, interrupting him with flash of steel > Flamboyant Strike > Razor Edge and interrupting again > Uncanny Speed and all connect. You go ranged again etc. If that works all fight long you win. Scneario B: He nukes you while you kite, since he stopped moving while nuking the kiting didnt work out and he manages to smack you with melee attacks. Your Frigid Blast and ranged autoattack miss. You close in and he keeps pounding you not casting any spells. Your attacks dont connect, he wards himself once you go ranged again and sticks a few DoTs on you. You can be doing the exactly same thing twice and these are the possible outcomes. In scenario A you are at about 95% HPs and the champ at 65%. In scenario B you are at 60%, he is at 90%. One more thing: You don't get anything out of it but the sense of achievement. You don't even get an item that is of any use to scouts. That's not worth getting frustrated about, trust me. SMILEY
Old 07-17-2005, 08:57 PM   #26
Syrano

Loremaster

Well you do get one thing out of it.  If you are trying to solo your Shard stone, you must beat the pit champion.  So that's worth it if you don't have a group to rely on SMILEY

Old 07-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #27
Rilk

My main is a 45 Paladin.  I was just reading this thread because I have a 19 Swashbuckler that I was hoping to have try the Pit Champion when he levels.

I saw a couple of people asking about shields.  I'm not sure what the difference would be between using a one hander and round shield vs. dual wielding.

But as a Paladin, I can say that my tanking ability is *VERY* different when I use a one hander and kite shield vs. a two hander.  So much so, that the only time I ever use my 2HS is when another tank is in a group and I'm not tanking.  In EQ1 a shield was not significant.  In EQ2 a shield is definately significant.

The champion does seem to prefer to mele if you are close to him.  So if you are "tanking" him, a shield may make a real difference in your avoidance.  Although I can't say if the loss of dps would be worth the trade.

Anyway, I don't claim to know rogue strats.  But I thought that might help to answer people's questions about shields.

- Rilkar

Rilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #28
Draigo

Loremaster

/sigh  gave up on yellowtooth  after 7 failures, looks like I am going to get reacquainted in the fine are of kiting, thought I had said good bye to that in EQ1 with my reverse kiting necro SMILEY As has been posted the one good thing about the pit boss, it definately shows what actually needs balancing , hope it get's it

Putting the rat in Norrath

Draigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:46 PM   #29
SmEaGoLLuM

General

Yes a good round shield makes quite a big difference.
SmEaGoLLuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:10 PM   #30
Quazaris

Loremaster

After reading thru these post , I grabbed myself a Imbued Cedar Longbow and gave this another attempt.

The problem I had was this:

While kiting Phosm , My movement acts totally different. Normally I will hold the Run backward key down and tap or hold the left movement key to get my circles. But while doing this I reacts totally different than any other time I kited. Instead of running in circles My body changes direction when i tap the turn key.

I have tried this 3 times now and after the 1 try i thought it was me, waited and went back in , after the second attempt, did the same thing I figured it was time to test things out. On the 3rd try before starting the fight i went into attack mode,  used the same keys I always have to do my circles and had no problem, started the fight and same thing. Soon as I try to turn while moving backwards to do a circle while fighting him My body position changes and I am no longer facing the mob instead of run direction.

So what am I missing here? why would the combination of movement keys act differently than any other time?

Quazaris is offline   Reply With Quote