EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Swashbuckler
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
Earl_Of_Bronze

Loremaster

Greetings fellow Swashies. It seems Norath shines on me as I found a Rhodium Cluster yesterday and am having it converted into ink for a tier 5 Adept 3 CA scroll. Well, as I am only 45, I am wondering if any higher level Swashies can answer this question: If you had only one level 40-50 skill to upgrade to Adept 3, which would it be? I am playing it conservative and assuming I won't find another. lol Many Thanks!
Earl_Of_Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #2

that would be Flurry of Blades imho

Atten, Swashbuckler of Drow
 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
Earl_Of_Bronze

Loremaster

I was thinking the same thing, however, I've read even at Adept3 it usally does not hit all 3 times. Anyone else have a recommendation?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:43 AM   #4
Ba

Earl_Of_Bronze wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, however, I've read even at Adept3 it usally does not hit all 3 times.

Anyone else have a recommendation?

it depends on where you attack from... from behind ALL your attacks (auto and CA) except flamboyant should hit 99% of the time to any non epic level 50 and below mob (at level 50)

and if you attack from in front, hope you got a good healer b/c that riposte will hurt

Virene - 50 Swashbuckler - 50 Alchemist - Fallen Disciple
Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:29 AM   #5
SmEaGoLLuM

General

The thing with Swashies is we require all our skills to impact our dps, whereas classes like assassins and sorceres can have 1 or 2 of their big hits upgraded and it would substantially upgrade their dps. So basically upgrading one instead of the other is not going to affect Swashies dps that much, but read on.

I would not upgrade flurry of blades as it does not do that much dps in itself. What I mean is, it is on a pretty long timer of 30 seconds and does so much dmg. Also if you solo and attack from the front, attacks like uncanny speed, flurry or arms/blades usually have its 2nd (3rd included) or 3rd strike parried, even if the mob is green. (One of the main reasons why we aren't a strong soloing class - which I don't mind) So yea, just some tips.

Me personally, I would upgrade Disheartening Guile as it is on a 10 second recast and does some nice dmg along with other stuff like reducing AC, agil and interrupts I believe. If you don't have master 1 cats paw, it would be wise to upgrade that as well as it also has some other nice attachments to the art. Whereas flurry only does dmg.

But I'm retired as of late, so best of luck my upcoming fellow Swashies.

SmEaGoLLuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:55 AM   #6

in the constraints set by the question Flurry of Blades still would be one of my top candidates - it may not be that great from the front but then again most other attacks you cant even do from the front in the first place, I would say I do anywhere between 250 to 800 dmg on the tripple attack and 2 out of 3 times all 3 attacks hit. I agree on Disheartening Guile though, if you dont have Captain Rohan's Kidney kick it is definitely worth upgrading.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
Gusta

Loremaster

Flurrey of Blades should be the first one you upgrade.

Flash of Steel is another good one to upgrade. Its the skill you will use the most in your higher lvls
Old 05-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #8
Earl_Of_Bronze

Loremaster

Thanks for all your input fellow Swashies. I haven't made up my mind at the moment but am leaning towards Flurry of Blades. As to Cat's Paw, that is a T4 rare, which fortunately I don't have to worry about at the moment. I definitely want to upgrade that next.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:04 AM   #9
Langel

Because of the lower power cost, the much lower recast time and the -Threat on it, I think you'll get a lot more mileage out of Flash of Steel than you do Flurry of Blades. At least that's what I did. Razor's Edge upgraded nicely too.
Langel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #10
AegisCrown

Loremaster

i personally would not go [Removed for Content] flurry of blade... long cast time chance to do no damage
Disheartening guile is good, 10 sec recast and has debuffs attached
Flash of steel is also goo for its quick recast
depending on how you play even brazen thrust would be very useful

EQ2 Flames - Swashbuckler
AegisCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #11
67thRig

I've been very lucky on my rare hunt, I've upgraded Flurry of blades and Cat's paw, now I'm thinking on upgrading flash of steel, but what about defensive spells are they even worth upgrading? and what about bootleg? is the moment still slow on adept3?

oh and one more thing, I would like to get an ebon weapon, since there are not alot of them on sale I cant really tell between their stats so what kind of weapon would you recommend me to get?

67thRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:26 PM   #12
Earl_Of_Bronze

Loremaster

I have an imbued Ebon Short Sword and like it alot. A Scout guildie has an imbued ebon crescent axe and he wishes he got something else. I recommend getting one slash and one pierce if you raid alot. Reason being, eventually you will get the Prismatic SwitchBlade, which is a slashing, so you will have the slashing part covered. Some epic named, like King Zalak, are immune to slashing so have all your bases covered. $.02
Old 06-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #13
Ba

67thRiggs wrote:

I've been very lucky on my rare hunt, I've upgraded Flurry of blades and Cat's paw, now I'm thinking on upgrading flash of steel, but what about defensive spells are they even worth upgrading? and what about bootleg? is the moment still slow on adept3?

oh and one more thing, I would like to get an ebon weapon, since there are not alot of them on sale I cant really tell between their stats so what kind of weapon would you recommend me to get?

I have all my offensive arts upgraded. You really shouldn't be tanking, so the defense buffs won't help too much. Buffs in general don't upgrade well anyway. Uncanny Speed, Cat's Paw, Dishearting Guile, Flurry of Blades, Frigid Blast (not sure how good adp3 is, i have master, which increased damage from adp1 by 200 total), Flamboyant Strike (master again, increased damage from adp1 by 100) are the ones you would get. Bootleg adept 3 will increase speed by 1%... not worth an opal IMO.

Now, a weapon, for a swashy? leafblade hands down. 2.1 (or was it 2.3) delay means more procs with our flurries. It is a piercing weapon, and used goes along with my old sword sword well (and still goes with my swiftblade well). If you use a shield like me, i would say the leafblade is still the best choice unless you get better 1h/dw fabled items. Do keep in mind leafblade is piercing, so it is best to have a slashing weapon handy (maybe ssoy, swiftblade, etc)

Virene - 50 Swashbuckler - 50 Alchemist - Fallen Disciple
Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #14
mike367

ATM I have master Razor Edge, and Cat's Paw.  I would really wait till you hit 50 to use that cluster.  You don't know what might come your way.  Personally, I waited to upgrade to see what was out there, and to do what you are doing now, getting some reccomendations.  I'm waiting to find a flurry of blades master, and it's really hard.  Nothing ever on the vendors, and I would play a ton of PP to get my hands on it.  In this retrospect, I would say that FoB is a pretty good bet to upgrade, simply because I only know one person world wide that has this spell. 

Really look for Cat's Paw Master, It can sometimes be sold for cheap, especially over in FP.  My Cat's Paw is hitting for a Max of 730 with debuffs and all also.  I'm not sure what our other backstab can be upgraded to, but having a hit that does that much is pretty satisfying.  Razor Edge is a little lower, around 550 damage, but with the stun it was a great purchase too.  47 is a pretty easy level to really start thinking, but I would just wait to see if you can get some Masters untill you hit lvl 50.

mike367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #15
Earl_Of_Bronze

Loremaster

Just my $.02, but... Why wait to 50 to upgrade your skills when the most use will have gone by? This will also impact how fast you level. I'd say upgrade the good ones as you get them. Besides, that's why we are here to give advice. An example, Cat's Paw and Brazen Thrust are so significant to a Swashy, get them upgraded as soon as you get can.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #16

mike36799 wrote:

ATM I have master Razor Edge, and Cat's Paw.  I would really wait till you hit 50 to use that cluster.  You don't know what might come your way.  Personally, I waited to upgrade to see what was out there, and to do what you are doing now, getting some reccomendations.  I'm waiting to find a flurry of blades master, and it's really hard.  Nothing ever on the vendors, and I would play a ton of PP to get my hands on it.  In this retrospect, I would say that FoB is a pretty good bet to upgrade, simply because I only know one person world wide that has this spell. 

Really look for Cat's Paw Master, It can sometimes be sold for cheap, especially over in FP.  My Cat's Paw is hitting for a Max of 730 with debuffs and all also.  I'm not sure what our other backstab can be upgraded to, but having a hit that does that much is pretty satisfying.  Razor Edge is a little lower, around 550 damage, but with the stun it was a great purchase too.  47 is a pretty easy level to really start thinking, but I would just wait to see if you can get some Masters untill you hit lvl 50.

I have Flurry of Blades Master, and know of one other swashbuckler on my server who has it as well, it is a nice upgrade, about 10% dmg increase compared to adept 3.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #17
Thelah

Upgrade straight damage ones first, uncanny speed, flurry of arms.  If you are at adept3 for flash of steel, for example, and your guildmate is at adept 1, his won't go through.
Thelah is offline   Reply With Quote