EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum > Warlock
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
Chuluinn

Loremaster

I have a lvl 15 warlock and would be grateful for any tips/hints as to how best to perform in p v p in cases where I see my opponent and in cases where I am hit first.   I am at a loss as to what action to perform first in both these instances and would be grateful for any advice.  Thank you.
Chuluinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
wajamacallit

Loremaster

As a 23 warlock and if I am hit first I run to the nearest zone.   The insane casting time's mean you will rarely get more that 1 or 2 spells of without being interupted. 
Old 04-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Uccel

note that im not on a PVP server, but heres how i would do it vs single targets.Hit with your ice based nuke. This is like, 2 second casting time, plus has a nice stun component. After that, i'd either hit them with the AE nuke stun, or devestation (when you get it....).Keeping your target stunned helps a lot, maybe throw your fear root on them after the stuns, but basically, hit em fast with your fastest stun (ice), then go to town.

i'm not the best, but im in the top two.
Uccel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
CPronger

Uccello wrote:note that im not on a PVP server, but heres how i would do it vs single targets.Hit with your ice based nuke. This is like, 2 second casting time, plus has a nice stun component. After that, i'd either hit them with the AE nuke stun, or devestation (when you get it....).Keeping your target stunned helps a lot, maybe throw your fear root on them after the stuns, but basically, hit em fast with your fastest stun (ice), then go to town.

No offense but you don't really know what you're talking about because you don't understand the ruleset in place on those servers.  You can't chain stun people because they get immunity from being stunned again for double the length of the first stun.

To the OP, I'd have a hard time giving you advice since you're at such a low level yet.  You don't have many of the tools that I use all the time at level 48.  My best advice to you is to start working on your subjugation now and get it maxed.  Root is your only stand-off spell and you can't afford to have it resisted constantly.  Make maxing subjugation your #1 priority starting now.

I'll tell you how I do things and you can take what you can from it or maybe just keep it in mind for when you're higher level.  If I get the drop on someone, the first thing I do is root them.  The reason I root them is because they are either going to try to rush you or try to run away.  You don't want either of those happening.  Use your AE root when you get it.  It has a slightly better chance of not breaking early.

Ok, now you have them rooted next thing you want to do is start debuffing them.  If you had the drop on them, you should be able to get Chaotic Maelstrom and maybe Aura of Darkness on them before they react.  A third debuff I've been using a lot when soloing lately is Curse of Emptiness.  It's kind of worthless for PvE but dropping 300-400 hps off a PvP target is nice and they don't even know they've been hit with it because their health bar won't move. 

By this time unless your target is a total [Removed for Content] or afk they are going to start trying to counterattack you.  If they are a caster, hit them with interference and then immediately start casting Netheros (does crushing damage which is great against cloth) then Nil Distortion.  If you got Aura of Darkness on them, Interference will hit for 200-300 since it's a DD.  Nil Distortion will just about finish them and if it doesn't, follow it up with Deter.  If they somehow managed to survive, finish them with a Soulflay.  Caster fights are often decided by who gets the first shot in so unless you screw up you should have this fight won. 

If the target is a melee, they can't do much to you except auto-attack with a ranged weapon.  That's not a big deal.  Go through the same debuff cycle as before.  After you get the debuffs on them, start casting your DoTs including Netheros.  Then start nuking.  Save Deter in case your root breaks.  You will need it then.  Most melees that I've fought with this strategy immediately try to run away if root breaks since they're usually half dead.  If they charge you, use Deter and then go to your fast casting stuff like Soulflay and Abysmal Fury (careful if there are mobs nearby). 

If your target is a ranger, your best bet after rooting them is to run away.  It takes a truly [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] ranger to lose a fight to an even con warlock 1v1 even if you get the jump on them.  They are built to kill casters and do especially well against warlocks because of our slow casting spells.  If you're not near a zoneline, don't bother running, they will find you.  Just toss your DoTs on them and move out of range while they tick away.  Netheros lasts 45 seconds so it can do a lot of damage to them if you have a good upgrade to it.  If they break root, they will try to rush you and cheap shot you.  Be ready for it.  Use Deter and reapply your DoTs and then sprint off.  If you're lucky, that may be enough or enough to make them want to evac.  Rangers are cowardly by nature (hehe) and they will always evac if there is any chance they might lose.

I really don't have any good strategies for when someone gets the jump on me.  We are almost helpless when that happens because all we have is root and once you're getting hit, it's [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] hard to get that off (I have 5 over cap on my focus and still get interrupted all the time).  Try to keep your head and get that root off.  It's really your only chance.

Message Edited by CPronger44 on 04-09-200601:22 AM

CPronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
Tin

General

Im a wizard so my strategy is a little bit different. But I have a recommendation for what you can do Cpronger44 when you are jumped. Specifically by scout classes. This tactic can also be used on bruisers and shadow knights.Now this strategy requires a certain level of flexibility and not everyone can do it. The first thing you want to do is loosen up when you know there is pvp around. If you are tense or freaking out in anyway it will just make matters worse and may cause you to foul up. Most of them use a blur vision or knock down attack as their first move. Once your vision has cleared and you are ready to fight very quickly and precisely reach down with both your hands, and grab your ankles.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
mewo23

Loremaster

Nothing fun like seeing 1,000+ dmg hit on several freeporters in the area SMILEY
mewo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Windowlicker

Loremaster

I've pvp'd two people with my Warlock on a non-pvp server.  I won both fights.

The first was a warrior that started the duel with me.  The second was my girlfriends Inquisitor.  In both cases I didn't really feel like I was close to loosing.

I'm currently 48.

Rikko - 80 Berserker

Zahne - 80 Warlock
Windowlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #8
!DotU!_{Voltron}

Loremaster

Good tips...Thx
!DotU!_{Voltron} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #9
CPronger

Windowlicker wrote:

I've pvp'd two people with my Warlock on a non-pvp server.  I won both fights.

The first was a warrior that started the duel with me.  The second was my girlfriends Inquisitor.  In both cases I didn't really feel like I was close to loosing.

I'm currently 48.

That means exactly jack and crap on a pvp server man.  The rules are different.  I had a guildmate who has a 54 pve warlock (who's playing a brigand in pvp) tell me, "Just stack both your roots on the guy..."  Great strategy except you can't do it on a pvp server because they are immune to root after you put one on them.  That's why when your root breaks early you are screwed.

After getting my [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] handed to me twice by swashbucklers (one was blue, the other was orange) this morning while trying to harvest, my new advice to those that want to play a warlock is this:  Roll a conjurer or necro instead.  You'll be much happier.  Either that or plan on running with a group all the time. 

Warlocks just aren't good soloers.  Maybe things will be different when I get a few more levels and get Devastation and what not but right now, I find if I don't get the first shot in I lose.  I did manage to kick the crap out of a 45 fury this morning that attacked me though.  I guess they just get a big head from running around and owning everyone solo from 24-40 because I killed him while I had 2 mobs on me.  Anyway, warlocks really need a group and preferably one with a good tank in it because you are going to be the target in groups too.  Without a good taunter, you're going to find yourself running for your life a lot.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #10
CPronger

Tinen wrote:
Im a wizard so my strategy is a little bit different. But I have a recommendation for what you can do Cpronger44 when you are jumped. Specifically by scout classes. This tactic can also be used on bruisers and shadow knights.

Now this strategy requires a certain level of flexibility and not everyone can do it. The first thing you want to do is loosen up when you know there is pvp around. If you are tense or freaking out in anyway it will just make matters worse and may cause you to foul up. Most of them use a blur vision or knock down attack as their first move. Once your vision has cleared and you are ready to fight very quickly and precisely reach down with both your hands, and grab your ankles.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do.  I just stand there and hope that their satisfaction in killing me is lessened.  I know for myself it's not much fun when the target doesn't fight back or try to get away.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:12 AM   #11
Kaleyen

Loremaster

I recently started a Lock on Venekor, and my whole big idea is not to just focus on INT, but also HP/STA, my reasoning is that if I can take 2-3 hits then I can kill my target in 2-3 CAs

Kaleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Sluglord

Loremaster

I have a 39 'lock on Venekor. One thing I'll echo is that soloing is not a Warlock's strongpoint on a PvP server. I have a conjuror on AB and the switch to a 'lock was quite a shock. Luckily, I never solo, except when waiting for my normal group (my wife's Fury and our friend's Guardian) to show up. While you can win 1v1 as a Warlock, pretty much everything has to go well, or you have to face a really stupid player.

It's generally much better to attack than to defend in general on a PvP server, and that goes double IMO for Warlocks. Sloooow spells mean our reaction to getting jumped is crappy. Using butterfly totems seems to help see stealth and what I generally do if I see an attackable Freeporter stealthed near me is immediately go offensive and root, if the FP is not grouped. I figure he'll be on my butt in a second if I don't strike first, and rooting at least lets me start dumping curses and dots.

If I'm jumped I also try and root and run, to get some standoff range. If I'm jumped by more than one I usually do something different. As I usually can't run faster then the bad guys, I start dumping encounter AoE damage, on the theory that 1) I might get lucky and kill someone before I die, and 2) some other Qeynosian might come along and avenge me.

Warlocks work well in a group, though; with our Fury/Guardian/Warlock combo we do pretty well, especially when our Guardian's taunts keep the damage on him. The Fury's encounter AoE nuke isn't bad either, and a lot of PvPers have no clue how to fight as a group with a group.

Oh, and use voice. I have a TeamSpeak server. That or Ventrilo, well worth the small investment. Talking > typing in PvP. By a country mile.

Carnifax
Warlock (39 currently) Venekor
Old 04-18-2006, 12:06 AM   #13
RSZ

Loremaster

Warlock in group pvp is a resonable threat, conjuror is still far better.

Solo? forget about it.

RSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #14
Xarov

I have a 70 Warlock in PvE and a 40 bruiser in PvP for one major reason , when you are 70 , a SMART melee pvper will go for str8 resist gear because with good resist gear your spells will = jack and crap.... Roomie of mine has a 70 Berserker with his elemental and noxious at 4800 avg and guess what he either outright resists or greatly decreases 70% of all nukes DoT's etc ....

So yeah i love my warlock in PvE but no way in hell will i play on in PvP

Xarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:33 PM   #15
pharacyde

Loremaster

Xarovix wrote:

I have a 70 Warlock in PvE and a 40 bruiser in PvP for one major reason , when you are 70 , a SMART melee pvper will go for str8 resist gear because with good resist gear your spells will = jack and crap.... Roomie of mine has a 70 Berserker with his elemental and noxious at 4800 avg and guess what he either outright resists or greatly decreases 70% of all nukes DoT's etc ....

So yeah i love my warlock in PvE but no way in hell will i play on in PvP

Well that's true for any kind of attack. You can upgrade any resist and mitigation too. I mean, any attack can be reduced or mitigated to almost nothing. The key of a warlock in pvp is their Out of ecnounter stuns (rift and null caress) adn their in encouter stuns (nebula and apocalypse). Group root ... They have nice utilisty for pvp if you think about it. It can realy mess up a grp. That's what is nice about a warlock in pvp. Anyway for soloing, you better run if you don't have the first move. But that's true for most classes except healers I guess.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #16
Mainoumi

Loremaster

I've soloed my Warlock on Nagafen to 35 and have a 1000 vs 200 record. We might suck later but up till now I have done quite well. The key is as stated previously , you need to make the battle not them. Don't take on groups unless your feeling cocky. Use all the tools at your disposal, butterfly totems, potions ect. Right now my cast lineup is Flashfreeze, Dark Distortion, Paralyzing Fear, Null Absolution, Noxios Bolt, Suffocating Breath and dark eminations. I own pretty much everyone yellow and below. Most of my deaths of course are to groups. Oh also I'm an old man so its not refelexes either but out thinking your opponents.

Message Edited by Mainoumi on 04-18-2006 01:30 PM

Mainoumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
wajamacallit

Loremaster

What do you think of the strategy of buffing AGI with Totems and Rings.   I am thinking that in PvP play concentrating on AGI and possibly WIS/STA.   I would let INT increase naturally off the other items.   My thinking is to increase my avoidance and buffs in an effort to reduce the number of interupts.   I appreciate that this may lead to a reduction in power but in the mostly short pvp ecounters power is not a problem and anyway being dead with excess power is useless.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #18
RSZ

Loremaster

wot4 wrote:
What do you think of the strategy of buffing AGI with Totems and Rings.   I am thinking that in PvP play concentrating on AGI and possibly WIS/STA.   I would let INT increase naturally off the other items.   My thinking is to increase my avoidance and buffs in an effort to reduce the number of interupts.   I appreciate that this may lead to a reduction in power but in the mostly short pvp ecounters power is not a problem and anyway being dead with excess power is useless.

Any thoughts?

May be a good strategy, the main problem I see is that while reducing interrupts you give up damage from INT, and if you need one less nuke to finish off your opponent, the AGI gain is null and void.

IMO, go with INT, AGI is not helping your avoidance to a sufficient extent.

RSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:45 PM   #19
Mainoumi

Loremaster

wot4 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Even though I havent tried your concept I cant imagine it would be worth the loss in int. My solo fights are determined by the massive amount of damage (yes massive, dont listen to the pvm crybabies here) I do BEFORE my opponent even touches me! So solo I would say deff not the right path to choose agi over int. I have had the pleasure of being part or some great groups and also battling some great ones but the fact is you are a prime target because your so delicious to all classes in a group fight. SMILEY Standing there and taking it is not a good idea regaurdless of how much agility you have because your made of PAPER.  When Im fighting I lead with my group stun and then group damage and take note of who the enemy mage is (at that point its usually easy to tell because your damage did the most to them). By this time thier scout is hunting you down, root him and run around to the other side of the fight and kill thier mage/healer or anyone low on hp, just get them dead fast. It really comes down to one simple thing, you have low hp and no armor and just cant survive being hit period.
Mainoumi is offline   Reply With Quote