EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
SteelPiston

Loremaster

Q:Veteran bonus? A: You’re going to have to level your characters to 95 to get vet bonus. Then it will stack.

Go to 33:50 to hear this. http://www.twitch.tv/soe/b/336263268

Old 10-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

Q:Veteran bonus? A: You’re going to have to level your characters to 95 to get vet bonus. Then it will stack.

Go to 33:50 to hear this. http://www.twitch.tv/soe/b/336263268

As it should be.The Veteran Bonus should already be 92, but SOE let that one slide.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
ZachSpastic

Loremaster

They didn't let anything slide. They're giving two 280AA tokens in the expansion, and will probably begin selling them in the Marketplace too; so now that roadblock can be cleared by everyone.

ZachSpastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
General_Info

Lord

ZachSpastic wrote:

They didn't let anything slide. They're giving two 280AA tokens in the expansion, and will probably begin selling them in the Marketplace too; so now that roadblock can be cleared by everyone.

I doubt they'll marketplace it. it's just a way for SOE to make money off non +280 players who ether dont have the time to grind or rushed to 90 and earned too little AA. Anyone buying the expansion just for the 2x 280 AA is a fool.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
Gilasil

Loremaster

ZachSpastic wrote:

Ok maybe I'm the last to know.  What's this about 280AA tokens?  Is that what it sounds like?  A token you can redeam on a character to give it 280AA?

Please please please tell me it ain't so.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

Gilasil wrote:

ZachSpastic wrote:

Ok maybe I'm the last to know.  What's this about 280AA tokens?  Is that what it sounds like?  A token you can redeam on a character to give it 280AA?

Please please please tell me it ain't so.

yup , 2 per account.

im guessing they are doing it to please the people that complain that its soooo hard to get 280 aa by the time you get to 90.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #7
Cloudrat

Tester

Here we go again, the gating of leveling based on AA  while tossing a couple tokens, at the  casuals who don't grind AA, in hopes of appeasing them after they lose their hard earned veteran bonus and can't get it back without leveling AAs on most of their toons.   I am not happy about this and will never again have max adventure bonus because of it. 

I have enjoyed having the bonus when I have to level a crafter enough to get adv faction with Bathezid to get my crafter's earring.  I have been around too long to enjoy grinding the crafter version of faction there

Sorry that my point of view and playstyle don't fit in the game the way it's supposed to be played

Old 10-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Kesstryl

Philosopher

I do not like the AA gate either, this just needs to be removed, let people level the way they want and gain AAs their own way, don't force people into a certain mold, it just makes the game more work and not fun.  The slider is there to give choice, but the AA gate takes away choice.

Also vets now have to buy an expansion to regain their vet bonuses?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Vidden

Loremaster

Are all accounts getting this? Or just people who buy the CE?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

Kesstryl wrote:

Also vets now have to buy an expansion to regain their vet bonuses?

well yes .  you cant get to 95 without the expansion, and thats whare ya need to be for the bonus.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

everyone, the level cap isnt going to be 92 anymore so the bonus will go to 95.

they should have made it 92 for the bonus when the cap went to 92, but they kept it at 90 to please the players.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Jrral

Loremaster

Kesstryl wrote:

I do not like the AA gate either, this just needs to be removed, let people level the way they want and gain AAs their own way, don't force people into a certain mold, it just makes the game more work and not fun.  The slider is there to give choice, but the AA gate takes away choice.

Do remember why they put that gate in: those AA abilities make a huge difference in your power level, and it was getting impossible to tune content to be both reasonably challenging for people with 320AA and easy enough to be doable by people with <200AA. The gate was there to help narrow the gap they had to tune the solo content for, so we wouldn't have a repeat of the RoK launch where solo players came in for the first time in their quest gear and mastercrafted and got one-shotted  by blue solo mobs tuned to stand up to someone in full EoF raid gear. The gate also means if you see someone at 92 you know they have enough AA to have all the abilities you expect of a level 92 character, they aren't sitting there with their end-line AA abilities missing because they don't have the points yet.

I don't like the gate, it means I have to juggle the XP/AA balance leveling alts up so I get enough AA during levels where I've got a lot of content, but I agree with the general reasons behind it and I'd rather not have the consequences of not having it.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Cloudrat

Tester

yohann koldheart wrote:

they should have made it 92 for the bonus when the cap went to 92, but they kept it at 90 to please the players.

They should have gated the prestige points instead of levels with the 280 AA now we are back in the same boat.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
General_Info

Lord

Cloudrat wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

They should have gated the prestige points instead of levels with the 280 AA now we are back in the same boat.

I agree but this is soe we are talking about. even if you dont have much vet bonus stacked it's still basically a reset.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
Illmarr

Loremaster

Cloudrat wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

What same boat are we back in? What does 280 AA have to do with raising the level to qualify for the vet bonus? It seems to me that some of you folks have become several steps removed from the point of this thread.

If you are complaining that you can no longer rush new toons to 90 with a nice fat vet bonus, all I can tell you was that when Sony raised the level cap to 92 they threw us all a bone and left the vet bonus level at 90, with the forewarning that it was not going to stay at 90 forever so enjoy it while it is there.

Your crafters will get the bonus back as soon as you level their crafting to 95. Nothing to do with adventure level. 280 AA not required. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it entirely possible to be a low level adventurer while getting faction for the Earring of the Solstice? I could have sworn I've seen people brag about having exactly that.

Illmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
Gilasil

Loremaster

280AA never was much of a roadblock for people who really played their character as opposed to look for the fastest way to 92.

This is getting ridiculous.  There's no investing in your character, nurturing it, working to build it up.  No.  Instead you PL to max in a few days, drink your AA potion bam you're there and as good as anyone who spent a year building up their character.  There's still the issue of gear but even now it's really just doing the WL quests and you're set.

Unfortunately I already preordered the expansion, but I will put my subscription on a month to month once it switches from platinum to gold next month.  It's starting to look like I'm going to have to find another way to spend my evenings besides playing EQ2.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Davngr1

Loremaster

as it should be but i still don't like the level cap being raised.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
Tigerr

Lord

ROFL at the people complaining. Just wow. The "its sooo hard" crowd complained so much that they decided to put in 2 free tokens to get to 280 AA?. Devs, really?. I really doubt i'll even be getting this expac, only reason why I might is so I don't disappoint guildies. What I don't understand is, why are people complaining about the 280 AA being a "gating" mechanism, what exactly is it "gating" for you?. Even if they let you be level 92 with 100 AA, you would then complain how easily you die in the new zones. So basically, they want level 92 to buy gear off broker for the stat inflation?. With 100 AA at level 92, you would still be limited on what you can kill. At level 90, you have access to the same groups/zones that level 92s are. Those solo instances you can do at level 90 ( if i remember right). Wont make any difference if you were 92 with 200 AA, you would get facerolled and then complain how hard the content is.
Tigerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
SteelPiston

Loremaster

It currently takes 1.45 million xp to get from level 91 to 92.

Say the next 3 levels are going to be 1.6, 1.8, and 2.0 million xp. That means that it would take nearly 4x the effort it took to get from level 91 to 92, to reach max 95 - if you still had 200% vet bonus. Grinding out level 95 is going to be no picnic without your 200% vet bonus.

Personally, I'm in no rush to hit level 95 unless there is a rocket powered super car mount that needs level 95 to use it. Every turtle eventually crosses the finish line.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
Cloudrat

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

Cloudrat wrote:

What same boat are we back in? What does 280 AA have to do with raising the level to qualify for the vet bonus? It seems to me that some of you folks have become several steps removed from the point of this thread.

If you are complaining that you can no longer rush new toons to 90 with a nice fat vet bonus, all I can tell you was that when Sony raised the level cap to 92 they threw us all a bone and left the vet bonus level at 90, with the forewarning that it was not going to stay at 90 forever so enjoy it while it is there.

Your crafters will get the bonus back as soon as you level their crafting to 95. Nothing to do with adventure level. 280 AA not required. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it entirely possible to be a low level adventurer while getting faction for the Earring of the Solstice? I could have sworn I've seen people brag about having exactly that.

I believe I wasn't clear enough for you to understand my perspective.

I have been here through the years  of expansions level cap raises and this is the first time a tier has been piecemealed out and gated.

There are plenty of precedents for not getting to use certain aa before reaching a certain level but never has anything but exp been the criteria for leveling. 

And yes  I am complaining that I won't be able to get the vet bonus to use for my alts that are not planning to ever get more adv AA  and yes there are crafting ways to  gain faction like a quest I can do once a day.  Excuse me for leveling my adv to 70 so I can do that same faction in 20 minutes and continue my crafting career.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
Kithica
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Rangers of Kithicor

Loremaster

I'd be happy to drop the whole AA system completely. 

Kithica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #22
Terrorpeutic

Elder

Being 92 alone does not mean much.  Since I mostly just play solo, my 92/320 toons are not raid ready.  I think SOE should have just put the AA info in the name (i.e., see aa in addition to lvl when hovering over a player's name), that way the group or raid leaders can invite/kick accordingly.  And they should have just raise max aa to spend on a prestige tab, which can have 280 aa req't to start just like the heroic tab.  Raise aa points by 100 if it should be that difficult to finish the prestige tab.  A lvl 85 crafter can get into WL by the normal way regardless of his/her adv. lvl., so I don't see the point of the aa gate.  I just hate to see the irregular xp per lvl, should be harder steadily as one level up.

Terrorpeutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #23
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

the whole point of the 'Gate' was explained. there is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference in power between someone with 280 and someone with 100 aa.

there are mobs that at 90 with 280 I can kill in three hits that a 90 with 100 aa can barely survive the fight.

and we went through this crap before in RoK. people in raid gear or even high end group, had no issues with RoK mobs. none. but people in quest gear, solo gear got eaten alive. why? becuase to make the mobs actually a threat to the decent geared player, it made it near impossible for anyone with less.

then will the huge amount of aa and super strong endpowers...a 280aa toon can destory things that are a lesser aaed toon can't touch.

so to balance the difference in power, they simple said okay, you all need this number of aa to progress. that way they can tune the content to everyone having x abilities of thier class. I think it turned out well.

and now that we're going to 95, yeah the vet bonus will only applie again once you hit 95. it should have went to 92 when we got to that level, but the devs said they'd keep it at 90, and warned that yes, it wasn't going to stay there. you were warned, so don't complain when the changes you were warned about come to pass.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 AM   #24
Leawyn

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

the whole point of the 'Gate' was explained. there is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference in power between someone with 280 and someone with 100 aa.

First off, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that the vet bonus is being rest to 95. This isn't new, its not like it hasn't happened before. Suck it up like we all have done in the past.

Now, in relation to the quote above, I can state with parse proof that the difference between a lvl 90 with 90ish AA and a lvl 90 with 225 AA is enormous. I happen to have two characters at 90, both in RyGorr gear and whatever other faction or Legendary stuff I could buy from the broker to fill the other slots. One only had 88 AA (she was lvl 70 when AA were introduced, and was only pushed to 90 for harvesting purposes), and the other was at 225. I took both into the solo Thurgadin instance for white shards. The character with only 88 AA (well she had 93 by the time she finished the zone...) is a Paladin, and took THREE minutes to kill the guy in the middle. She almost ran out of power. She had to continually heal herself through the fight to survive. She was in offensive stance so was doing the best dps she could without sacrificing survivability by going into Recklessness. She parsed just about 5k dps. The other, with 225 AA, is an assassin, so I know in somewhat equal gear, she obviously would parse better, but should be somewhat squishier. I expected "better" but not to the tune of more than 10x the dps. She parsed around 60k dps, and lost less than 25% of her health. I attribute the difference not only to class but also AA. If the pally had another 200 AA, the margin of difference would be more like 10k dps, not 55k dps.

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #25
Cloudrat

Tester

I am totally at a loss to understand how leveled toons with 0 aa interfere with anyone's gameplay.  I don't ask to be in your groups or raids.

Want to raise vet bonus level?  Then take the gate off and add 5 more levels and make it a whole tier.  Stop pretending this is how it should be, because for 8 years it hasn't been.

I got the impression that they actually wanted to make a profit off this game reading the transcripts.  Well that means including not excluding people. 

Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
Terron

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

Grinding out level 95 is going to be no picnic without your 200% vet bonus.

If you don't like grinding don't do it. EQ2 is a game. The point is to have fun.

Personally I don't find grinding or power levelling to be fun so I don't do them.

I also get more fun from the journey to cap than from  being at cap. I disabled the vet bonuses when they came out. I haven't used an xp potion for at least 5 years. I would be using something that gives unearned AA points, since earning them is fun.

Terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
Gaarysal
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Fist of the Empire

Loremaster

Cloudrat wrote:

I am totally at a loss to understand how leveled toons with 0 aa interfere with anyone's gameplay.  I don't ask to be in your groups or raids.

Want to raise vet bonus level?  Then take the gate off and add 5 more levels and make it a whole tier.  Stop pretending this is how it should be, because for 8 years it hasn't been.

I got the impression that they actually wanted to make a profit off this game reading the transcripts.  Well that means including not excluding people. 

That's great that you personally do not expect to group or raid with an underleveled character but there are plenty of others who do or try to and it always results in people getting angry/upset either because their healer can't heal, their tank can't tank, their buffers can't buff, their dps can't kill the mob, or the underleveled player whining that he got rejected/kicked from a group. This does not make for a fun and enjoyable experience for anyone involved. I'm glad SOE has introduced some minimum standards to do high level content because like it or not, most AA abilities are too important not to have at the high end content. You even get lucky enough to instantly level 2 characters to 280 AA.

They've also made it very clear that these small cap increases are the new normal which makes sense why they would bump the vet bonus. They also indicated AA will be a thing of the past with a move towards prestige points meaning grind 320 AA now and not have to worry about it for at least a year and even of they do raise, you'll have less to grind down the road.

As far as excluding people goes, this new content is aimed at people who are max level as are all expansions since EoF. As of Skyshrine, to reach max level you needed to pass the minimum bar of 280 AA, it is another requirement to level now just like XP. If you don't have 280 AA and haven't been inactive, you probably do not care about max level adventure content if you couldn't be bothered to level your toon fully.

Gaarysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

95 is where the vet bonus should go.  hey you got a free pass on 92.

I got all 28 of my chars to 92.  With the changes to mentoring and boxing xp I doubt 95 will happen.  but then i hardly play any more.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
Finora

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

That's great that you personally do not expect to group or raid with an underleveled character but there are plenty of others who do or try to and it always results in people getting angry/upset either because their healer can't heal, their tank can't tank, their buffers can't buff, their dps can't kill the mob, or the underleveled player whining that he got rejected/kicked from a group. This does not make for a fun and enjoyable experience for anyone involved. I'm glad SOE has introduced some minimum standards to do high level content because like it or not, most AA abilities are too important not to have at the high end content. You even get lucky enough to instantly level 2 characters to 280 AA.

Exactly this. And then you also get the people complaining about how the content is way way too hard (when in reality they just are way under geared/underleveled/underaa'd for said content).

There is so much content out there I really can't understand how people are getting so high with so few aa unless they just aren't trying at all or following the terrible advice of "level to 90 and then grind aa".

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #30
Cloudrat

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

Cloudrat wrote:

They've also made it very clear that these small cap increases are the new normal which makes sense why they would bump the vet bonus. They also indicated AA will be a thing of the past with a move towards prestige points meaning grind 320 AA now and not have to worry about it for at least a year and even of they do raise, you'll have less to grind down the road.

As far as excluding people goes, this new content is aimed at people who are max level as are all expansions since EoF. As of Skyshrine, to reach max level you needed to pass the minimum bar of 280 AA, it is another requirement to level now just like XP. If you don't have 280 AA and haven't been inactive, you probably do not care about max level adventure content if you couldn't be bothered to level your toon fully.

You are correct sir. I do not care about max level adventure content, because I know I am not able to parse high enough or play my toon well enough to be in a raid guild and I never will.  I still prefer getting through the adv levels to make the crafting and harvesting easier. I still prefer getting adv levels as quickly as possible to get it over with so that I can enjoy the aspects of the game that I do like.