EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Uandiiniu5

Loremaster

So I'm playing a dps class (between a necro and a swash atm) and I litteraly havent been playing this entire GU. I'm having serious trouble getting into pugs due to demandswith stats that I dont have,parses that I never use (if only because I never tinkered with any sort of "add ons") and the fact that it seems I need to reroll to something I dont even want to play.

I'm not entirely sure as to what to do here SMILEY sense I kind of rely on pugs to get anything done

Uandiiniu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

My recommendation would be to join a family or casual, grouping oriented guild that runs these dungeons together regularly, and get away from the PUGs and Parsers.  There are plenty of people out there, plenty of guilds out there, who would have you no matter what your class or parse is.

Quite frankly, I always find that kind of behavior to be obnoxious.  Find folks who don't do that, guild up with them, and group with them regularly. 

Grand Historian of The Archive of Ik
Dreyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Regolas

Loremaster

What server are you on and what times do you play? I find I can't get or even make a group often on my server when I play off peak. There's just not enough LFG. Are you 92 or still 90? I don't like grouping with L90s on current content as I feel they don't contribute enough. I almost always find it quicker to make a group than trying to find one to join though.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Uandiiniu5

Loremaster

im currently lvl 90,due to returning recently

I'm not even sure where to go :/

Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
Regolas

Loremaster

If you can't get groups till 92, self mentor to 80 and kill in kunark dungeons until you reach 92.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
Mermut

Loremaster

Uandiiniu5 wrote:

im currently lvl 90,due to returning recently

I'm not even sure where to go :/

Have you done the Withered Lands quests? They won't get you to 92, but they will get you a solid set of gear that will put in decent shape for grouping the current content.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

yeah and if you have less the 280 aas, then the WL quests will help with that as well. you can't level past 90 without 280 aa first.

necros and swashes can do pretty good in the damage department, but honestly swashies and brigs are feeling the hurt thanks to the new Beastlord. which packs usually more dps and has a bucketful of utility in it's 'defensive' stance.

necros though I find are still in good demand at least. but yeah, alot of folks want 92s. even though I think a 90 would be just fine, myself.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Uandiiniu5 wrote:

So I'm playing a dps class (between a necro and a swash atm) and I litteraly havent been playing this entire GU. I'm having serious trouble getting into pugs due to demandswith stats that I dont have,parses that I never use (if only because I never tinkered with any sort of "add ons") and the fact that it seems I need to reroll to something I dont even want to play.

I'm not entirely sure as to what to do here sense I kind of rely on pugs to get anything done

Get 280+ AAs.

Get to level 92.

Do the Withered Lands quests and Skyshrine Solo zones a few times (every 90 minutes) to get the 2 wrist pieces, head, gloves, and belt upgrades.

Look up other Necromancers or Swashbucklers on EQ2U and see how other people spend their AAs, what stats they have, what equipment they have, etc.

Install Advanced Combat Tracker.

ACT is a separate program that is easy to install and won't affect your copy of EQ2. It reads your EQ2 log file and tells you how much damage you are doing, with breakdowns to which spells/Combat Arts are doing the most damage, etc.

Yes, people can get overboard on demanding you have X amount of DPS or expecting high DPS on every fight. These people forget that this is a GAME and you're here to have fun. I think there is too much of that. However there's no harm in knowing whether you are being effective or not. Sometimes you just want to go Bowling. But after a while, if someone came up and gave you some advice that helped you bowl better, wouldn't that be a good thing? ACT will tell you which combat arts or spells do the most damage and give you instant feedback as you experiment and try different things to improve your DPS.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
ZUES

Loremaster

Regolas wrote:

If you can't get groups till 92, self mentor to 80 and kill in kunark dungeons until you reach 92.

This^

Also consider joining a different guild that is more active during your play times. Casual guilds are the prefered choice if you really want to do dungeons.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
SteelPiston

Loremaster

We desperately need Skyshrine solo missions to give 100 Faction a run. It's getting harder to find anyone to do faction runs now and it will be near impossible once CoE launches.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

We desperately need Skyshrine solo missions to give 100 Faction a run. It's getting harder to find anyone to do faction runs now and it will be near impossible once CoE launches.

When CoE launches, there will be no reason to have SS faction, so its not really a big deal.

That and 2 people and a couple of mercs can easily do the current faction stuff, I'm not sure solo is really needed.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Gilasil

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Do the Withered Lands quests and Skyshrine Solo zones a few times (every 90 minutes) to get the 2 wrist pieces, head, gloves, and belt upgrades.

My experience with the solo Skyshrine quests was the loot table was completely borked.  My scout ran them MANY times and just about never got anything I could use.  It got to be a running joke.  Lots of mage gear, some fighter gear, that was it.  When I finally did get something -- twice even -- it was the same exact thing.  Lore of course.

If they haven't fixed their loot table I would not consider that a viable option for gearing up unless you're one of the favored archetypes.

Someone else suggested getting into a good casual/family guild which ran SS regularly.  While I'm currently in such a guild, it took quite a few tries.  It's been my experience that most casual type guilds just don't do that on a regular basis.  Most say they love to group, but actions often don't live up to words.    Or their idea of grouping is occasionally going into some green dungeon and killing everything.

Or, to put it another way, you may have to try out several casual guilds before you find one which works.  If you find such a guild, make sure you support it to the hilt.  Run lots of writs, help out other members, etc.  Such guilds are rare and to be treasured.

The other suggestions are sound though.  If you're a DPS class it IS a good idea to have a rough idea of how much DPS you're doing. The withering lands quest are definately a good way to get your initial set of gear.  etc.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Regolas

Loremaster

Honestly, there's plenty to do at 90 prior to getting to skyshrine group content, most of which has been covered in here. But if the OP genuinely doesn't know what to do then here is a list. DOV1 faction: you need at least 10k faction from 4 factions in Great Divide and Eastern Wastes to be able to buy yellow adornments for your gear. The majority of this faction can be achieved through doing the solo timelines in these zones. Once those are done it can be a bit slow to gain additional faction through PQs, 18hr repeatable quests and the solo mission (which rewards + faction gems if done right). Once that's done you can solo/molo in older dungeons like in Kunark until you get to 92. The kunark dungeons are good because you only loose 11% xp for mentoring to 80 yet most mobs will be yellow and die quick, so the xp gain is good. You can also do the solo instances in skyshrine with a merc and repeat the solo mission in Thurg for the faction and the daily quests. Just doing all the repeatables once per day will take at least an hour of your playtime and the skyshrine solo can be reset after 90 mins, all the while spamming LFG to try and get a PUG in skyshrine. You can continue asking for groups while doing the mentored dungeons also. You may want to run the OoA dungeon in Moors of Ykesha once a day too for the plat chest that gives 7-15pp each time. Do it at mentored 80 and you'll get xp too.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
Uandiiniu5

Loremaster

Even if i did hit 92 and did all that was requested,im being told by a friend of mine that unless im pulling over 150k,I wont get groups period.

Its really discouraging that I'm based on -gear- rather then skill.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Regolas

Loremaster

That's not true as a general rule. Only elitists pull that stunt. If you're trying to do your maximum (ie not following half afk) then most folk are happy.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
Halo of G4

Loremaster

Most def join a casual guild. They wont kick you out for w/e your requirements are.

Skyshrine has a long gap between the solo and high end raid equipment though. Ranging from 110-178 stats if you stop at the SS EM raid content compared to previous expansions. So yeah, dps is a picky thing for a lot of people. Best start with tagging along with a group of people on contested skyshrine. Very easy content and most won't have a problem with a undergeared to tag along to gain equipment.

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Halo of G4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Regolas

Loremaster

I made a group after the patch yesterday in contested skyshrine (early morning for the bulk of the server) and ended up with a couple of L90s and a couple of L92s. The 92s, in a combination of WL gear and heroic gear, held their own fine. The 90s (brigand and bruiser) , with god knows how few AAs, were doing 1-5% of the total damage output of the group. The 92 tank and brigand did 80%+ of the damage and I added the remaining 10-15% even though I was the healer. Average DPS for the 92s was around 50-70k and the 90s around 3-5k. This has just reconfirmed why not to group with L90s in skyshrine. They bring absolutely nothing to the group and are just mooching xp. I would never impose myself on a group doing that, hence why I didn't start doing skyshrine on any of my toons until 92. If you're 92, you should be fine for grouping in contested and CD/Lyc instances. Once you've got most slots upgraded from there, you should be able to hold your own in ST and UD EM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
Regolas

Loremaster

Hah, just checked the L90s EQ2U profiles. The bruiser has 76% crit chance (so -35% in skyshrine) and 108 MA and 228AA The brigand has 136% crit chance (26% in skyshrine) and 96 MA and now 285AA, no doubt from the good mooching earlier. I should have checked before inviting. Be warned people, don't settle for second (or rather tenth) best.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #19
Davngr1

Loremaster

this is an established game and thus people expect you to know how to play effectively.  that along with the fact that the game is way harder then it was in the past.  

your course of action is to do solo quest or find friends that will help you reach an accepted level of performance. 

Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #20
Uandiiniu5

Loremaster

I'm on AB and i dont exactly have alot of friends anymore. They mostly left due to RL/other games

Though someone recomended that I just play a support class (or a healer),but its just a tough grind for me to go from 1-90 and get the several hundred aa again.

I'm not entirely sure were to go via casual guilds,however

Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
Regolas

Loremaster

Just do the WL quests and grind out to at least 91 in somewhere like sebilis, then LFG for skyshrine. Use the guild finder to locate a suitable guild. Just find one thays busy when you play. I tried to educate one of the L90s I grouped with yesterday who wanted to group with me again. They were 91 now but still wearing DoV1 gear (thurg stuff or PQ stuff). I said they really should do the WL quests to get the gear as their crit chance is at 26% in skyshrine (usually 136) and their MA at 100ish, so they're doing no damage. Their response was "well I did alright yesterday when we grouped" and "I have gear waiting for me at 92". No, you didn't do alright yesterday. A warden in healing spec keeping everyone alive did over FIVE times your DPS and you're a DPS class! . And if you're too lazy to do the WL quests and not willing to accept constructive criticism then I'm definitely not carrying you in my group.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
Kraeref

Champion

To OP: As Regolas pointed it's all about gear and adornments with optimal for your char aa speccs... but do not be discouraged.. as feldon and others proposed get to WL and do quests there. They are not hard and will give you nice gear rewards... but please adorn them.. And keep reforging stuff on your gear such as spell weapon whatever to something more useful for your class... Start with ma, attack speed or casting speed. For this check eq2wire for other chars in top guilds on your server. You might not have their gear but you can get an idea what they go for when they reforge, what kind of white adorn they use. To Regolas: Plz don't take offence in my comment to you, but maybe you were not that nice when you tried to TEACH your groupies how to play SMILEY Some ppl take hard any criticisms especially in annoyed voice and can get defensive SMILEY I am just guessing here..
Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #23
Kraeref

Champion

And forgot to add... go on internet and read about what casting order for your class is considered the best, rearrange icons on your hotbars accordingly to quick access and you are golden! SMILEY
Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #24
Regolas

Loremaster

You're probably right Kraeref, I tried to word it nicely and give recommendations and stuff but it still boils down to I won't group with you cus you suck!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #25
Terron

Loremaster

Davngr1 wrote:

this is an established game and thus people expect you to know how to play effectively.  that along with the fact that the game is way harder easier then it was in the past.  

your course of action is to do solo quest or find friends that will help you reach an accepted level of performance. 

Fixed that for you

Terron is offline   Reply With Quote