EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #31
Proud_Silence

Loremaster

was fighting a named in SS with a buddy, at about 40% hp a group comes storming, rescue the mobs off me, run away with them to leash em, and the warlock spamming cataclysm at spawn spot grabbed aggro when they became aggro again. Me and my friend couldn't really believe what just happened.

Luckily they didn't have encounter-lock enabled ( neither did i when they peeled it off me), so i changed grp setting to lock encounters once engaged, rescued and did the same they just did and grabbed they re-spawned encounter, locked to my group. Worst part is they're from a rather decent guild on the server and see them joke around in chat channels often. They also seemed surprised about me asking them if they had mental disorders, so did they in fact believe they had every right to pull that stunt off ?

i used to have encounters i am fighting unlocked, because who knows, i might be close to dieing and someone strolls by and lends a helping hand. It's what i do at least. Now i got taught a lesson.

And in regards to previous posters saying back in eq1 there was more of an overall respect towards eachother, i can only aggree.

Bbecause you really just had one name for your toon, and if you ruined your fame you were in for some lonely nights. And that's where SoE's interest in making money clashes with what makes EQ liked by players. Name & Gender change potions. So simple, yet such a huge impact on how people behave.

Once the server knows you for the fool you are, just buy the (actually pretty cheap) name and/or gender change potions and you're ready for round 2 of acting like a hormone-flodded teenager.

Proud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #32
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

Peeling claimed mobs off you or trying to lag you out with fireworks or attempting to train mobs on you is poor sportsmanship.

I come from FFXI. Your character and name is pretty much permanant, but people were ruthless in that game. Contested named consisted of 3 - 5 guilds standing in a circle for the duration of a 3 hour pop window spamming instant cast abilities to claim the named when it popped. The hard part was the servers were in Japan, and half the time the named would spawn on us U.S. players already claimed by JP guilds. EQ2 is a walk in the park.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #33
Pieceof8

Loremaster

Good luck with this thread. I started a similar one a cpl weeks back over camping names for ethereal drops in WL. No matter what time of day you were on you would always see the same ppl camped at the same mob spawn point. This went on for days. I wanted the hive queen so after a cpl days of waiting I decided to take her. I egt this tell from the dude..."Didn't you see me standing there?" I said "Yes I did as you have been there for several days now." The guy called me a KS'er and cursed me out.

I thought that would go away when August was over but now with charms dropping looks like it will be another mnth. of the same. And of course what will drop in October? My complaint was how much hostility this drop event has caused. I'm thinking maybe they should put some code in that decreases the drop rate if you have killed that mob in x amount of hours.

Pieceof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
Merker

Lord

I like to moon campers. ;o)

Their reactions are quick and priceless!

"Spot taken dude!"

I usually don't even care about the Mob they are camping and need nothing. It's just funny how defensive peeps get. I am EQ1 oldschool as well and still find it pretty funny how rude they get if you just pass through the area. I am typically passing by several times and get called out for invading their camp when all i am doing is harvesting runs most of the time hehe. I'll just do some rude emote or something to get them riled. I never say anything, just an emote. ;o)

Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #35
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

There is camping in eq2?

You hit it first, you do 50% of the damage, its yours.  End of story.

That being said, courtesy dictates if you remain there and repeat that action, that when someone cries about a quest update after you kill it, simply invite them and set the loot option to leader only.

The only time I can recall camping anything was the weavemaster, and that was only cause the named spawned like 1:20 spawns.  That however was long removed from this game.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #36
Zygar

Loremaster

Pieceof8 wrote:

Good luck with this thread. I started a similar one a cpl weeks back over camping names for ethereal drops in WL. No matter what time of day you were on you would always see the same ppl camped at the same mob spawn point. This went on for days. I wanted the hive queen so after a cpl days of waiting I decided to take her. I egt this tell from the dude..."Didn't you see me standing there?" I said "Yes I did as you have been there for several days now." The guy called me a KS'er and cursed me out.

I thought that would go away when August was over but now with charms dropping looks like it will be another mnth. of the same. And of course what will drop in October? My complaint was how much hostility this drop event has caused. I'm thinking maybe they should put some code in that decreases the drop rate if you have killed that mob in x amount of hours.

And as was mentioned there if a person is camping a named for ethereals then they're an idiot. WL nameds have ~1 hour repop and ethereals drop from any mob that cons green or higher,  so killing more mobs (named or not) increases your chance of getting one. Sitting for an hour and waiting on a mob rather than killing hundreds is stupid if you're after an ethereal and not a drop. Nameds in WL were camped before the ethereals came out (way more when the zone was new and the drops were selling for over 500pp in some cases), and will be camped after they stop dropping (albeit at a lesser rate due to the higher level gear coming in Nov that will make their fableds worth a lot less).

92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #37
Elebu
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Ancient Prophecy

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Peeling claimed mobs off you or trying to lag you out with fireworks or attempting to train mobs on you is poor sportsmanship.

I come from FFXI. Your character and name is pretty much permanant, but people were ruthless in that game. Contested named consisted of 3 - 5 guilds standing in a circle for the duration of a 3 hour pop window spamming instant cast abilities to claim the named when it popped. The hard part was the servers were in Japan, and half the time the named would spawn on us U.S. players already claimed by JP guilds. EQ2 is a walk in the park.

Yeah, this.  EQ2 is "a walk in the park" indeed.

For some reason a couple friends and I thought it would be a smashing idea to move to a Japanese Ultima Online server (1of3 of them IIRC) when it started up a year after launch or whatever.

To say the Japanese (gamers) take gaming a bit more seriously than us is an understatement.  From contested zone/mob camping to PvP - pretty much anything goes apparently in Japan.

If Japanese guilds were still interested in EQ2, PoW would have been completely and utterly cleard and farmed by now by rotating raid groups and furthermore - were it contested (gasp!) - not one of us would have a piece of it.

EQ2 is dreamy!

Elebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #38
Hateeternal

Loremaster

Once again, a human abyss is opening up here...

Seriously, how self-righteous does one have to be to justify actions to themselves, where they are clearly just taking unfair advantage of other players.

I'm referring to the stealth guys who keep waiting in corners or run a little behind your group to jump your nameds while you are clearing the last trash.

No matter if that's allowed or tolerated or not punished by GMs or whatever... it's just unsocial behaviour.

Those people shouldn't ever be allowed to roam amongst normal people with common sense.

Ingame as well as IRL.

Just unbelievable... xD

SOE Schedule:

8:00: see what isn't broken yet and break it

10:00: ban players complaining about it on the board

11:00: implement stuff noone wants, that breaks other stuff

-repeat-
Hateeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #39
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

yes it is one thing for two groups working toward a named and clearing out mobs and racing toward the contested. you had that in EQ1 as well. usually with guilds racing to the contested raid mobs. that I don't see a huge issue with the idea of whomever gets the bowshot/ranged nuke first on that named gets him. whomever gets it first usually does get some grief from the other side...happened in Eq1 too. just in EQ1, normally the other group would wait, see how your faring, and if you were struggling, they might stick around to take it if you wiped. if not, they'd move on.

I don't find it acceptable to do the 'hide in stealth and follow the clearing group' thing. that I would consider 'kill stealing' your letting the other group do absolutely all the work, and then swiping the named. That's just in poor taste and there should be some kind of repercussion for it.

Camping/camp checks was something in EQ1 that worked nicely. certain mobs drop certain highly prized loot. if someone was camping a mob, a lot of times EQ1 players had no problem inviting others and even rotating people into/out of thier groups. you get the loot item, you drop group next person on the list gets invited for the next kill. worked great.

it just seems to me that the older EQ1 player has a lot more patience, and a lot more common courtesy then the common (especially in the FTP crowd I've noticed) Eq2 player, who seem to go by the idea of getting what they want in the easiest method no matter whom they step over or on in the process.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #40
Juggercap

Elder

[email protected] wrote:

I'm confused. Contested mobs were camped by 3-5 guilds consistently casting, but unfortunately the mob popped on the random US player for some reason? (Oh...because the servers are in Japan...?) What exactly is your point...other than FFXI has more intense camping...?

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #41
Deago

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

I remember when there were items in this game that were worth camping for...

^ this.

I am really wondering what contested soloable mob is worth camping?   lol

Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #42
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Deago wrote:

I am really wondering what contested soloable mob is worth camping? lol

I spent about an hour in Sebilis, waiting for a named for my epic weapon quest. Probably not quite the "camping" you're thinking of, tho SMILEY

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #43
Te'ana

Tester

feldon30 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

plowing trash entitles you to nothing. just because you are going the same way as me doesnt mean i should not contest you for pulls. dont be a sore loser. pull faster.

by all means make up all the fancy ettiquete rules you want. i will not play by them. if i see an unclaimed mob i want to pull i will pull it so you better beat me to it.that whole piece of legislation sigrfrida is trying to enact is completely silly and i would be looting the box by the time she sends the first tell. petitioning that you got out pulled in contested content is a complete waste of gm time and never results in punishment for the winner unless you get sucked into a crybaby match and start harrassing someone.

There is a difference between:

• Two different groups who are active within a contested dungeon and happening to overlap on different mobs.
  • You hanging back and seeing that my group is engaged with trash in the immediate vicinity of a named, WAITING until we've pulled all the trash, and THEN going straight for the named and killing it, and yelling out in /say or /shout "haha you suck!"

If you do the second, you bet I will report you for Disruptive Play. You can make up all the personal rules all you want, if you break the TOS, you're getting reported. It's not about the loot. It's about you pulling a named that you COULD NOT have pulled yourself at that moment if the room full of trash were not already occupied. If we hadn't been there, you would have had to proceed more slowly and carefully. To quote a certain public figure: You didn't do that. You didn't get there on your own. Someone else helped you do that.

Also, you're from Nagafen and this discussion is about PvE on a PvE server.

I agree with you Feldon. I hope you attend SOE Lve this year despite the  P7S1 affair so I can shake your hand.

Te'ana is offline   Reply With Quote