EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
ffd700

Lord

So I was browsing ZAM and stumbled across this aITEM -1228372299 -1301438762:Maj'dul Illumination Crate/a, which I assume is going on the Marketplace soon, and it got me wondering why doesn't Maj'Dul have it's own city festival.

It would be a great way (non-SC) to get some more Maj'Dul themed items, either housing or clothing related.

Aside from Qeynos and Freeport, Maj'Dul is the only other city that actually feels like a city, and I think it's long overdue for some attention.

ffd700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Tallithia

Lord

I would guess that it would be a major lag fest.  And a lag fest in an area thats already a pain to get around in....

Be Careful what you ask for. You may get what you want but at what cost?
Tallithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
scruffylookin

Loremaster

In lore, didn't Nights of the Dead originate in Maj Dul? I've always been surprised that it didn't have festivities related to that event.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Eugam

Loremaster

Maj'Dul is level 50 and festivals are usually in tier 1 areas. This probably is the only reason.

Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
Sennyu

Loremaster

maj'Dul has always seemed like to big and detailed of a city to be just some random level 50 city, maybe its about time that its revamped to be more noobie friendly.. Maybe going as far as to make it one of the starting cities though I doubt that they would do that as I think they are trying to funnel people into the 3 newer starting areas as is.

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of shakesphere. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true. - Robert Wilensky
Sennyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Eugam

Loremaster

Sennyu wrote:

maj'Dul has always seemed like to big and detailed of a city to be just some random level 50 city, maybe its about time that its revamped to be more noobie friendly.. Maybe going as far as to make it one of the starting cities though I doubt that they would do that as I think they are trying to funnel people into the 3 newer starting areas as is.

That would remove the character of the city. Its dangerous when doing faction and its dangerous when the Orcs are on pub crawl. Maj'Dul is unique. Its a city and a zone at once. Its has named "overland" updates and even epic "overland" updates in it. just as common aggro mobs.

For now they are proably busy revamping Qeynos and Freeport.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
mikbove

Loremaster

I would defo be up for a Maj'Dul city market.  Collections could give you a mini Sha'hir guard to go in your house.  

As for the markets location, well if I remember right all markets are usually based outside the actual hosting city, therefore I see no reason why it couldn't be placed on the Sinking Sands docks for example.  That area is relatively safe for noobs, with the exception of the crocs.  collection shinies could be found dotted along the shoreline.  I think another reason it might look quite cool is because it would feel like a seaside promenade, as in what you might see on a typical British seaside resort.  

mikbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Eugam

Loremaster

mikbove wrote:

I would defo be up for a Maj'Dul city market.  Collections could give you a mini Sha'hir guard to go in your house.  

As for the markets location, well if I remember right all markets are usually based outside the actual hosting city, therefore I see no reason why it couldn't be placed on the Sinking Sands docks for example.  That area is relatively safe for noobs, with the exception of the crocs.  collection shinies could be found dotted along the shoreline.  I think another reason it might look quite cool is because it would feel like a seaside promenade, as in what you might see on a typical British seaside resort.  

If they have the resources they just could raise another island without aggro and add a carpet. Good place for beach parties and bbq SMILEY

Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
mikbove

Loremaster

Eugam wrote:

mikbove wrote:

If they have the resources they just could raise another island without aggro and add a carpet. Good place for beach parties and bbq

LOL yeps and have fireworks, lots of fireworks SMILEY  Personally I think would work fine outside of the city, not to mention some great opportunities to be had for getting house stuff that fits in with Maj Dul housing.  

mikbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
gourdon

Loremaster

The Maj'Dul city festival could be run on the Sinking Sands docks.  This would be consistent with most of the other festivals which don't take place in the cities anyway.  A Sinking Sands aether race might be fun if it uses the sea caves near the Eye of Anuk.

I am generally in favor of Maj'Dul being treated more like a real city.  I have a rather consistent desire to spend more time there, but find very little reason to.  The new tower prestige home could have been placed at the entrance to the Tower of the Moon instead of just throwing it into the Qeynos/Freeport clusters that are starting to become unwieldy.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Nrgy

Lord

Seven does not divide into twelve .. sorry

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
Gladiolus

Loremaster

Nrgy wrote:

Seven does not divide into twelve .. sorry

That's the only good reason for having another market.

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Hisvet

Loremaster

Its too long now to wait for your city festival to come around again.

They should have them at the beginning AND end of each month perhaps reducing the days it runs.  Waiting half a real life year to get some tiles again is really painful esp as with the housing boards a LOT more people are decorating and having things to decorate.  Couple that with the large amount of housing available and its a nightmare.  Can't keep up on supplies for them.

Also, Maj'Dul has that area market as you zone in before crossing the bridge and going into the city proper.  It can safely be reached by Level 1's which is why they do things like put updates for Brewday and Erollisi Day there.

Hisvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
Valdaglerion

Loremaster

The Nights of the Dead festival being in Maj'Dul makes perfect sense and fits with the Lore. A city festival being held around the harbor of Sinking Sands might be ok as well.

As for any revamp of the city itself, please I beg you, No. The questlines which go through the DoF expansion are some of the most lore rich and well done questlines. Revamping this city would change what is so well done at this point. Getting a toon to level 50 can be done so quickly now it is not worth the risk of messing up major quest arcs and such rich story lines to allow noob toons in this area.

For the record I have successfully taken toons less than 10 adventuring level through Maj'Dul. You just have to watch for the kos thieves in the alley ways which I find is very on par for the lore of the city. Once you get faction going (which is more fun to do by handing off tokens to lower toons or buying them) its kinda fun to play street rat and see if you can avoid the kos guards of opposing factions while sneaking through the city from your faction house to the arenas...lol

Valdaglerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
Nrgy

Lord

Hisvet wrote:

Its too long now to wait for your city festival to come around again.

They should have them at the beginning AND end of each month perhaps reducing the days it runs.  Waiting half a real life year to get some tiles again is really painful esp as with the housing boards a LOT more people are decorating and having things to decorate.  Couple that with the large amount of housing available and its a nightmare.  Can't keep up on supplies for them.

Also, Maj'Dul has that area market as you zone in before crossing the bridge and going into the city proper.  It can safely be reached by Level 1's which is why they do things like put updates for Brewday and Erollisi Day there.

From a Decorators POV I agree with you ... 6 months is a long time.

From a Gold Farmers ingenuitive players (looking to make some dollars selling plat gold to buy new spells and armor) POV it is too short.

Its a pendulum when trying to force game play on others that don't share your specific agenda, it will swing against you as much as in your favor.  As well as other things, there are pieces of the game that some players will never be able to achieve.  Old quest rewards that no longer exist, Old WW event items that new players will never be able to get or Fanfair /claim No-Trade rewards that get sold to those that didn't attend.  I'd like to get many of the discontinued items in the game, like some of the paintings, but never will be able to.  Everyone needs to make their plat decorate with what they have avialable currently.

Following the same logic offered, make it easier for , I'd like raid mobs to hand over their armor without having to beat it off of them first.

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
d1anaw

Loremaster

Eugam wrote:

Maj'Dul is level 50 and festivals are usually in tier 1 areas. This probably is the only reason.

They could do it outside the gates where the carpet zones you in, or they could do it in that first area.

d1anaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
Brigh

Loremaster

Maj is not a starting city. Simple.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #18
ffd700

Lord

Brigh wrote:

Neither is Qeynos or Freeport anymore.  Why would that have a factor in it?

Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #19
Rijacki

Tester

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Brigh wrote:

Maj'dul is not now and never has been a starting city. All of the current city festivals are by those cities which are or were starting cities. They're also the only cities where you have your 'citizenship' and can have your "Call of" spell bound to. High faction (ally) with one of the three Maj'dul factions grats you the ability to own a house there, but you are still a citizen of one of the other 6.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #20
ffd700

Lord

Rijacki wrote:

Brigh wrote:

Maj'dul is not now and never has been a starting city. All of the current city festivals are by those cities which are or were starting cities. They're also the only cities where you have your 'citizenship' and can have your "Call of" spell bound to. High faction (ally) with one of the three Maj'dul factions grats you the ability to own a house there, but you are still a citizen of one of the other 6.

You can also get a "Call of Maj'Dul" spell.  I just don't see the logic in denying it a city festival because you cannot start a toon there, or because it's not one of the 6 with citizenship.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #21
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

Rijacki wrote:

Brigh wrote:

You can also get a "Call of Maj'Dul" spell.  I just don't see the logic in denying it a city festival because you cannot start a toon there, or because it's not one of the 6 with citizenship.

Personally I consider it both a player and adventure city.

Would love to have a festival in Maj'Dul. It doesn't have to be a part of the normal city festival rotation; maybe have two days out of the month (like Moonlights, except maybe the 10-11) every month (or every other month) for a festival there/in Sinking Sands. I'm sure the Far Seas Trading Company visits other places during the three weeks between festivals, right?

edit: Doesn't even have to be called a city festival--argument solved. SMILEY

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #22
Amitee

Loremaster

I would love to see a Maj'dul-themed city event. There's an open and safe area when you first zone in through the carpet. It's large enough to hold the fair. Having it at the docks would work near the tents.

I would hate to see Maj'dul changed too. I like the different feel of the city and the danger element. It adds to immersion. And I have no issue with how long it takes for city festivals to come around again. Even though I've only been back 2-3 months now after 3 years away, I know it will take a bit to get everything I want.  It doesn't bother me, otherwise, I'd blow right through the content and have no use for it again.  Sort of like the Moonlight events. There's an unlimited quest you can do and get all the tokens you want. I did that and got everything I wanted within 2 months.  I should have paced myself on those. heh

Old 10-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #23
Gladiolus

Loremaster

There is already a Call of Ro which is in fact better than others because if you're Good you can't have a Call to Freeport, Gorowyn or Neriak and if you're Evil you can't have a Call to Qeynos, Kelethin or Halas; everyone can have a Call of Ro.

As for the markets, instead of having yet another market, Honest Ali's family could get on their camels and pitch a tent at the festivals of other cities, so bringing an exotic touch to their festivals, with their goods from far-off lands.

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #24
Deggials

Loremaster

Gladiolus wrote:

As for the markets, instead of having yet another market, Honest Ali's family could get on their camels and pitch a tent at the festivals of other cities, so bringing an exotic touch to their festivals, with their goods from far-off lands.

How about this.  Put qey and freeport festival at same time, Neriak and Kelethin at same time and Goroywn and Halas at same time, then we have a 3 month rotation and can add other cities like maj dul, erudin, kerra isle, grobb, tupta stuff (etc) into each festival time, so you are gaining more items to work for. There is still a lot of furniture stuff in just the first 4 expansions that arent in game that could be used.

Deggials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #25
Rijacki

Tester

Rijacki wrote:

Brigh wrote:

You wanted to know why Maj'Dul is different, what the logic is. Just because it doesn't match YOUR logic isn't why it's not what makes Maj'dul different than those cities.

The "Call of Ro" (to Maj'dul) is an ability you get when you earn the faction enough to do a quest to be allowed to become a -resident- (not citizen). You don't lose your real "Call to Home" spell when you get it because you don't lose your citizenship with one of the 6 Cities. (Call to Home used to be called 6 different things when it only allowed you to bind in ONE City but now you can bind in any of your faction.) If you betray from Kelethin to become a citizen of Freeport, you change your citizenship from one faction and city to the other. Even just changing citizenship from Kelethin to Qeynos, you do not retain citizenship with Kelethin when you become a citizen of Qeynos.

This is what makes the 6 cities different from Maj'dul.

But, I don't disagree that a -different- festival would be nice for Maj'dul or that it wouldn't be nice to have one of the holidays involve it more like Tinkerfest involves Steamfont.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #26
ffd700

Lord

Rijacki wrote:

You wanted to know why Maj'Dul is different, what the logic is. Just because it doesn't match YOUR logic isn't why it's not what makes Maj'dul different than those cities.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #27
Kynre

Loremaster

Gladiolus wrote:

There is already a Call of Ro which is in fact better than others because if you're Good you can't have a Call to Freeport, Gorowyn or Neriak and if you're Evil you can't have a Call to Qeynos, Kelethin or Halas; everyone can have a Call of Ro.

lol  he said pitch a tent...

Alisza: Arasai Inquisitor/Jeweler
Lieloo: Half Elf Monk/Tailor
Ellifae: Fae Ranger/Woodworker
Meybe: Arasai Warden/Provisioner
Ilbryth: High Elf Illusionist/Sage
Phyraun: Dark Elf Wizard/Carpenter
Kaennja High Elf Necomancer
Synifa Dark Elf BeastLord

UNREST [Eternal Shadows]
Kynre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #28
Kimber
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Rapture

Loremaster

I always thought of it as an Exile city since anyone and everyone can have a house there( I seem to remember reading this some place also)  Its supposed to be the place where your transactions with the other faction or unsavory types occure.  So I would say no it does not need a festival maybe some house items added to the repetable faction quests that you can choose similar to the repetable in Zek on the docks for the out fit would work though.

Guild Sickpuppies
Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #29
Valdaglerion

Loremaster

Gladiolus wrote:

Obtaining the Call of Ro requires a quest with kills that is mod level 50's if memory serves correctly. But yes, Maj Dul is truly the only nuetral city we have, Halas has a good slant, Gorowyn has an evil slant. There should really be a Call to Halas and Call to Gorowyn quest similar to that of Ro that any toon could get. 

Valdaglerion is offline   Reply With Quote