EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Nijia
Server: Vox

Loremaster

Could we be allowed to self mentor "on the road"?

Would it break the game in any way? I'm not too sure how?

It's just one those time sinks that doesn't seem to add much to the game.

Couldn't we at least have an expensive crafted potion or an expensive status item from the city merchant with a few charges?

Something to use once in a while but not to replace the chronomages.

Would it be a bad idea and why?
EDIT: Ok, so I guess maybe we don't want higher levels stealing all the nameds from low level zones when they pass by just to get however little more AA they can get easily. Having to run to the Timeless Chronomage may reduce that problem. Not sure if that makes much difference as if you had potions with limited charges you wouldn't want to waste them on a whim.
I'd just like to be able to self mentor when I realized I picked the wrong self mentor level and save running and zoning and loading all the time. :/
Nijia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Onurissa
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Order of Marr

Lord

People asked for chronomage in GH and they said no, as it was one reason for us to visit the cities, so i doubt they will give us a portable one then.

Onurissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Pixiewrath
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Aristocrats

Loremaster

I would like that too, or the ability to use chronomaging by mentoring self-mentored people so the entire group doesn't have to go and mentor before they do a dungeon.However, adding those two features could open up exploiting where people could just go to lvl 90 past the dungeon, reach a named, switch to chrono, kill the named, get the loot, un-chrono to the next named, kill it mentored, take loot, etc. I believe the reason there is no portable mentoring or self-mentoring mentoring is because they want us to play the entire dungeon, or at least half without grey mobs, and not just farm loots on the nameds. Sounds logical from a designing perspective.I prefer this way over  WoWs "kill and loot everything" way since this reduces farming and only gives the rewards to people that actually take the time to go through the entired dungeons at the appropriate (though while mentored, overpowered) levels. And I don't think there is anything wrong with current chronomaging since you should be rewarded and more powerful the more you play. Heard rumours from the devs that chronomaging is going to be changed to avoid this overpowered "mess". A mess I like.

Pixiewrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Nijia

Loremaster

That makes sense.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
ffd700

Lord

I wouldn't mind seeing an item with a set amount of charges, either tinkered and require current tier rare ore, or via the city merchant for a good amount of plat and status, that would chrono your whole group and or raid to a set level before you enter a zone.

( or a guild hall amenity for it but they already said no )

ffd700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

ffd700 wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing an item with a set amount of charges, either tinkered and require current tier rare ore, or via the city merchant for a good amount of plat and status, that would chrono your whole group and or raid to a set level before you enter a zone.

( or a guild hall amenity for it but they already said no )

That could work with a long reuse timer. However, to again avoid exploiting, it would only be usable outside the zone and/or it would make ALL team member's items used up. Because if multiple members have this item they can again use it like that, in turns, to toggle loots and chest drops on and off at will.The best solution would be to add chronomages or some chrono device outside the instances that change you to an appropriate level by clicking them, or that allow you to mentor like manually. Or give the choice to mentor the entire group as you enter the dungeon.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

Also, in the dungeon finder, they should allow mentoring upon entering the dungeon, to make the cross-server grouping smoother as well. If it goes cross-server that is. (Hope, hope, hope, hope. Bazaar is barren.)

Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Nijia

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

The best solution would be to add chronomages or some chrono device outside the instances that change you to an appropriate level by clicking them, or that allow you to mentor like manually. Or give the choice to mentor the entire group as you enter the dungeon.

That is a great idea. Should be a Chronomage Trainee or something in every town and hub of the major zones.

As for the Dungeon Finder hopefully they will not allow mentoring over a certain range of levels otherwise you'll end up with bored/AA farming level 90 all the time, which will trivialize all content for lower levels :/

Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

The best solution would be to add chronomages or some chrono device outside the instances that change you to an appropriate level by clicking them, or that allow you to mentor like manually. Or give the choice to mentor the entire group as you enter the dungeon.

That is a great idea. Should be a Chronomage Trainee or something in every town and hub of the major zones.

As for the Dungeon Finder hopefully they will not allow mentoring over a certain range of levels otherwise you'll end up with bored/AA farming level 90 all the time, which will trivialize all content for lower levels :/

Depends on how they implement it. Adding chrono level restrictions and "real level" restrictions could solve that problem. But for some dungeons it would be nice. For example Emerald Halls mentored at 90 or Shattered Stillness and so on.I think it should be decided by the group leader, really, if mentoring is allowed or only real levels are, and what range is allowed in those levels.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Elomort

Loremaster

AA farming exploit I fear.

I would prefer to see chronomages as an amenity for guildhalls and instead a limited portable writ giver in line with the necromantic box from paineel.

If you head out with the wrong mentor level you can get back to your hall pretty easily. Chronomages there make much more sense.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

would make a badass 8 year vet reward.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Cratoh

Loremaster

I cant see a single reason why this would be overpowered in any way.

As it stands anyone that wants to farm a dungeon for loot can so easily by pass trash, or just drag it all to named anyways. 

Chronomentoring is like putting on a suit of god gear and just streaming through low content looting low level master chests all over the place.

Forum - 1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest

Censorship - deleting parts of publications or correspondence.

"Where there is official censorship it is a sign that speech is serious"
Cratoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Elf_Queen

Loremaster

Cratoh wrote:

Chronomentoring is like putting on a suit of god gear and just streaming through low content looting low level master chests all over the place.

That's exactly why it needs to be fixed and have it so when you mentor you are actually equivalent of that level! And so grouping with friends or a PUG is needed for dungeons, i dont think dungeons should be soloable at the right level.

I wouldn't like to see portable chronomancers just because if the name farming issue, not everyone even mentored can stream through a zone and get just the names. My mages can't anywho, they end up dying so its not worth it. People genuinly fighting in zones as a group would get rolled over by whoever needed those names for AA and could quickly get to them.

I like the idea though of a group chronomentor before you enter a zone, it is a pain to always have everyone go to the mentor and then meet up again its time wasting. But it would have to be a one-charge thing so you cant just undo it and keep redoing it as you get past trash mobs

Elf_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Arielle Nightshade

Loremaster

I actually like easy-mode leveling of alts, done by chrono-ing and crashing through dungeons.   After having leveled many characters to max level 'as intended'  I like the Autobahn approach to leveling a new one. 

When rolling through a contested dungeon, I always /who to see if there's someone there actually doing it.  If so, I leave them alone or go to an area deeper in the dungeon where either they probably won't be going based on level, or the mobs will have repop'd before they get there.  Anything else is amazingly rude, and that's where the problem is - not being able to do it.

I'd say if you were going to make mentoring tougher find a way to do it so chrono'd 90's can't lock down a contested zone (SoS? Locked down by one guild for months for AA spamming) without having to work at it.  Instanced zones..no big deal.  Masters and fabled items I may be getting from crashing through these places are not game breaking - they are not as valuable as you think.  Mostly used for transmute fodder and adorner leveling, with the product used on the lower level alt's gear.  I just get to do it for free, not having to spend hundreds of plat adorning a character that is going to grow out of the gear pretty quickly.

All this aside, I really really like the idea of a Guild Chronomagi and Tasker - maybe for max level guilds? I also agree a pocket one would be an amazing 8 year veteran reward.  It could have a 24 hr. timer if they think it's too op.  

If the idea is to keep me in town, it's not working.  I run in as fast as possible, chrono and leave.  Except for the data that said 'x number of people were in Q Harbor on Thursday', no one is socializing or hanging out there anymore like they used to, so if that's why they are there, that's just dumb! 

Arielle Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
Amanathia

Loremaster

I can't see any reason it would be exploitable if you couldn't use it or un-mentor while in an instance or dungeon.  But meh.

Honestly it's not that much work to run through your housing portal, chrono in town, run back through guild door, right?  I'd rather have real issues fixed, I do like having to travel to town for some things, makes the world more interesting.  Having it as a guild amenity at 90 might be neat though.

Amanathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
ffd700

Lord

Amanathia wrote:

Honestly it's not that much work to run through your housing portal, chrono in town, run back through guild door, right?...

True, but waiting on a raid's worth of people to navigate their routes and various zoning times, makes it take while.  For guilds that like running older content for fun anyway.

ffd700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #17
Notsovilepriest
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Ill Gotten Gain

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

would make a badass 8 year vet reward.

You mean 7 year vet reward? They still didn't really add one of those.

Inb4 "but that house!"

Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #18
sick720

Loremaster

"However, adding those two features could open up exploiting where people could just go to lvl 90 past the dungeon, reach a named, switch to chrono, kill the named, get the loot, un-chrono to the next named, kill it mentored, take loot, etc. I believe the reason there is no portable mentoring or self-mentoring mentoring is because they want us to play the entire dungeon, or at least half without grey mobs, and not just farm loots on the nameds. Sounds logical from a designing perspective."

if your level 90 you can do this regardless all the way up to say level 70ish dungeons (and if your geared well enough you can go higher) if you want to cherry pick nameds, you can do it very easily by just running past anything you dont want to kill. self mentored from 90 the mobs barely touch you so theres no worries about training though a zone.

sick720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #19
Pixiewrath

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

"However, adding those two features could open up exploiting where people could just go to lvl 90 past the dungeon, reach a named, switch to chrono, kill the named, get the loot, un-chrono to the next named, kill it mentored, take loot, etc. I believe the reason there is no portable mentoring or self-mentoring mentoring is because they want us to play the entire dungeon, or at least half without grey mobs, and not just farm loots on the nameds. Sounds logical from a designing perspective."

if your level 90 you can do this regardless all the way up to say level 70ish dungeons (and if your geared well enough you can go higher) if you want to cherry pick nameds, you can do it very easily by just running past anything you dont want to kill. self mentored from 90 the mobs barely touch you so theres no worries about training though a zone.

Healers and tanks maybe can survive that, but for mages it's not like that. Ofc depending on what dungeon it is also.