EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Items and Equipment
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #31
Felshades

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

Sorry if this sounds Biassed, because yes I'm a fighter...

But guys.   Think about how it used to be?   We are getting 2x-3x the loot per mob than we used to get, and we are already getting loot crated.   Remember EOF's system of killing a mob and getting "Necromancer Gloves"... and you have no necromancer in guild?   I mean dude, you kill a easy-mode mob now and you can get 2 wrists and a ring, or 2 crates and a necklace...  even more for HM.  

What I'm saying  is that the method of gaining loot now is faster than it's ever been.   (Just stinks that the loot being gained is so boring, but that's a whole 'nother thread).  Rememeber that before you complain. It's 4 months in and you have some people that aren't 100% geared yet.   That's not exactly a travesty.  

It's not a travesty, no, but when you think about it, theres about half a year left on this expansion based on how they've been going over the past several years.

It shouldn't take the entire expansion cycle to gear your entire raid when they've been running since they could.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #32
Hennyo

Loremaster

I think if you were going to keep things the way it is with class drops, an ideal item spilt would be 4 parts tank, 7 parts healer, 6.5 parts scout, and 6.5 parts mage. It still favors fighters just enough, while matching the ratios of the other classes more accurately. Also for all the people saying you have to gear up tanks soo much is a load of bull. While having a tank in better gear does help, you can still take under geared tanks through stuff just as well as you can other classes. Also if anything at BEST you only need two highly geared tanks. So if you weighted tank loot to a 4 out 24 ratio, they would STILL be getting loot twice as fast as anyone else in raid. I think something like smart loot, or even just universal crates would make things much more fair, the increase in useable loot drops and the speed guilds can gear up, I can kinda understand why it isn't used. I would really like the devs to re look at this tho on the distribution end tho, as there is no raid ANYWHERE using a perfect mix of classes.
Hennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #33
Gungo

Loremaster

I wouldnt mind to see smart loot brought back into the game at least for the 7 armour peices. Since the game has gone heavily toward a gear based raid progression system. Weapons should all be in 1 giant crate unless they are supposed to be some rare drop.

of course even with this people will cry about jewerly being unfair.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #34
TheGeneral

Loremaster

We raid 4 days a week and kill mostly everything EM.  We still have scouts and Priests who are waiting on drops.  However all our fighters, alt fighters, mages, and alt mages are fully geared.  The drop rates are broken and brawler weapons need to be crated with the other fighter weapons.  I think I see Taltaaks staff of the pugilist selling in the loot channel twice a night.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #35
Hennyo

Loremaster

Also at the very least please do something about the jewelry pieces you get one of each time, like the second wrist piece. Considering how far through the content that piece is, could the mob at least drop two of them, or maybe just have it random if you get two earrings or two wrists, just something.
Hennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #36
Meirril

Loremaster

Just an odd thought. When creating new content how about making the raid loot a little customized based on the decisions of the raid?

Say you plan on introducing an encounter that you can raise the difficulty twice. Place 4 statues in the area and have it to where you can activate zero, one or two statues to change the difficulty level. Zero statues leaves the base encounter alone and you get the base loot table. Each statue represents a class archatype in the game and activating that statue guarentees at least one drop for that archatype off the tier 2 loot table. Activating two statues bumps the encounter to its highest level of difficulty and guarentees at least one tier 3 drop and one tier 2 drop (or two tier 3 drops) from the selected architypes.

That statues selected could modify what benifits the encounter gets, or it could be the same no matter which of the four statues are activated. The main point is giving the raid some control over which drops will appear. This way early attempts can focus on gearing tanks while later attempts focus more on everybody else.

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #37
Boli32

Loremaster

You want; no you *need* the tanks gearing fast - but at the same time after they are suitably geared you don't want to spend your time gearing fighter alts. I know it sounds boring but the only way to do this fairly is through unpackable objects which can be used by *any* class.

Irebound Leg Pattern- Unpack to find any suitable armour- Classes: all

Hallowed Neck pattern- Unpack to find any suitable neck piece- Classes: all

But that would that be dull and you can pretty much plan when you are going to get gear and bid in advance; if you keep to a regular sceduale you could even plan when your raid force will be fully geared out. so I am *not* in favour of that idea.

There *needs* to be a random element to the loot which drops, we all hope and pray items we wish *do* drop and are disappointed if say the 30th scout neck in a row drops; but at the same time priorities change... and do so rapidly.

Perhaps if there was a banner only the raid/group leader could place which "skewed" the drops in a zone. Normally its a 25% ratio for either healer/fighter/mage/scout loot but...

No banner:

- Fighter 10%- Mage 30%- Priest 30%- Scout 30%

Ancient Banner of Morning Breezes- Increases the chances your Priests will obtain magical items.   - Fighter 5%   - Mage 25%   - Priest 45%   - Scout 25%

Ancient Banner of the Furious Storm - Increases the chances your Scouts and Mages will obtain magical items.    - Fighter 5%   - Mage 40%   - Priest 15%   - Scout 40%

Ancient Banner of the Still Night - Increases the chances your Fighters will obtain magical items.    - Fighter 40%    - Mage 15%    - Priest 30%    - Scout 15%

Boli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #38
Lemilla
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Issari Laoris

Loremaster

There is a simple solution. Keep the drop chances as they are now (perhaps putting fighter weapons in a box), but slowly increase smartloot over time.

This will keep the progression rate of the top guilds in check, while helping out the slower guilds and the unlucky people a bit.

Lemilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:41 AM   #39
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Right, so let's say that SOE crates every single drop from a MOB. Pants_Boss_01 drops nothing but crates of pants from which you can choose any class's piece you need. In 3 months after the expansion drops, everybody in your guild is fully geared due to this awesomely efficient method of distributing loot.

... Then what?

Do you not understand that the entire point of randomized loot drops is to force you to waste time killing the same MOBs repeatedly until you get the items you need? SOE is entirely capable of implementing 100% smart loot and/or crating everything, but they don't. Why not? Because they realize, as veteran game designers, that what a player thinks they want from a game is not always what they REALLY want. You ask for more efficient loot distribution mechanics, but if you were to get them you'd soon start complaining about how you've now geared 3 different alts and can find no reason to even keep raiding.

If it wasn't fighter drops, there would be some other apparent flaw in the loot distributions that you'd then feel the need to complain about. It's not broken, it's working as intended. Don't blame SOE, blame B.F. Skinner.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #40
circusgirl

Loremaster

As a brawler MT, I am 100% in favor of crating brawler weapons with plate weapons.  I waited ages and ages for an offhand raid weapon as plate alts were geared out.  Of course, for every guild in my situation there was one where plate tanks were waiting while brawler drops were wasted or where scouts were waiting while fighter drops came, blah blah blah etc. etc.

That's the nature of random rewards.  It's random.  There are streaks.  Sometimes those streaks suck.  I'm still waiting for a single fighter charm to drop after literally months of nothing but priest, scout, and healer charms from the end boss in Rime.  That doesn't mean that the drop rate is messed up--it just means that we've been unlucky.  I'll get my charm eventually.  

Frankly, I think we should move more towards a situation where fighters are more than 12.5% of a raidforce.  I don't know how such a thing could be designed (more sister fights, yay!) , but I'm hoping that eventually things will move towards a situation where 4 fighters/raid (one in every group) is to be desired.  

Maybe they'll add in beastlords as a utility/buff class that uses brawler loot and is as desireable for raids as bards/chanters currently are, and people will want 3 in every raid, so that fighters could actually be 25% of a raid force.

circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote