EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Zones and Population
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

In Poet's Palace: Return there is a MOB named "Gutrom the Guardian" who resides on the top floor. Unlike the rest of the MOBs in that zone, he was not content to let me steamroll him at level 90 without taking a hit. He decided to pay me back for slaughtering his buddies by absolutely obliterating me. I couldn't even get him down to 90%, the longest I lasted was 42 seconds. Why, you may ask?

Fury of the Djinn, that's why.

Fury of the Djinn deals 8,419 points of focus damage (meaning it cannot be mitigated). It does not appear to be resistable, it isn't a spell so it cannot be interrupted, and he managed to hit me with it through Tsunami AND Bob and Weave at the same time, so I'm pretty sure it can't be avoided, either. The worst part? It does not appear to be on any kind of timer at all. In one fight he used it on me twice within 4 seconds.

Oh, and did I mention that he also has an attack that fully drains your power? That one is unresistable, too.

Has this MOB always done this? I honestly cannot understand how a level 60 raid force during Deserts of Flame could ever have killed a MOB that procs 8.5k nukes seemingly at-will. Is there a trick to this guy? I tried a number of things, including not using CAs or item procs (in case it was some sort of scripted counter-attack or somesuch), I tried lowering my HP to see if the damage was percentage-based (it isn't, even with 3,000 fewer hit points I still ate the full 8,419 damage), and I even attempted pulling him into other nearby rooms and fighting him in the water nearby. Nothing worked. The attack's range appears to be long enough to reach across the reasonably small room he in found in, so kiting seems to be impossible as well.

Honestly, I am at a loss. Have any of you killed this MOB in recent years? If so, how did you do it? I can solo nearly every MOB in DoF (I even got Djinn Master down to 50% before I decided it wasn't worth the effort to setup all the instruments again), and even T7 epics like Tarinax in Deathtoll. This guy beats them all. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Sleap
Server: Befallen
Guild: Elysian Storm

Loremaster

I just did Poets Palace access to gain access to lvl 4 for my trouby's epic update.. which named is this you speak of? I cleared all floors with no problems... with my SK mentored down to 60, and mobs on last floor are orange con at that lvl.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Ambrin
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati

Loremaster

He's talking about Poet's Palace: The Return, which is a T6 raid zone. The heroic dungeon of the same name is rather easy, just really annoying with the doors on the 3rd floor. As for the name in question, about the best I can suggest is to take along more people. For example, in the heroic Kurns Tower the second name has a curse that during its 10s duration will take away about 90% of my health. This curse is also random / not on a timer and has no obvious trigger mechanism. The result is that I cannot solo the mob, but I can easily kill it with a group.

I wasn't around for DoF, but it might have been the case where you would have been required to bring along a couple of fighters to pick up agro while your other ones have been one shotted. It could also behave more like the curse from Gynok that would kill pretty much one-shot any tank if they weren't properly buffed / warded when it actually hit.

The best I can really suggest is find someone who remembers how to do the mob, or bring along a healer who can help you kill the mob.

Ambrin - 92 Monk / 92 Tailor / 320 AA

Ambryn - 92 Dirge / 320 AA

Visjeer - 92 Necromancer

Oryn - 90 Inquisitor
Ambrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
yadlajoi

Loremaster

need to get a fabled ring drop of trash to prevent that focus dmg. used to be progression c0ckblock but it didnt prevent us to clear all DoF without a ring of the djinn drop during the whole expansion.

yadlajoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Yimway

Loremaster

yadlajoi wrote:

need to get a fabled ring drop of trash to prevent that focus dmg. used to be progression c0ckblock but it didnt prevent us to clear all DoF without a ring of the djinn drop during the whole expansion.

This.

And what you ran into is just bad game design (percent based focus hits).

Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
EQPrime

Loremaster

Pretty sure the ring blocked the power drain too...

Arbre - Warden/Sage
Flippyfloppies - OP SK
Amplify - Troubadour

Slege
Mistmoore
EQPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Ahh, I see. Well, that makes sense then (in a "[Removed for Content] were they thinking?!?" kind of way). I guess I'll need to mentor down and farm some of the trash MOBs until I get that ring. Thanks for the info, guys!

I just wish I had known that before I wasted 4 hours clearing that whole darn zone full of MOBs with 1.5 million HP each and that randomly stoneskin all the time... Ugh...