EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Swashbuckler
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-14-2004, 09:33 PM   #1

so I leveled a swashbuckler up to lvl 20, got AQ2, bought some decent armor upgrades (mostly medium now), have a defense of 707 and using willow wood blade and subclass rapier and I am *STILL* getting my **mods 4 teh win!!1!** kicked by white cons in ST (or barely win). I'm using posion, try to get my HO's through, use cheapshot to get in a backstab or two. At the same time I see others soloing yellow cons at will seemingly w/o a problem. Am I missing something here or are swashbucklers sub par at soloing? SMILEY

Atten, Swashbuckler of Drow
 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
Arago

General

i dont know sounds like you should be fine when i was at 20 i could solo 21 and 22 solo mobs constantly. And now at 27 i can solo lvl 30 solo mobs, it is a close fight but i havent died yet to them. I would make sure that your buffed up and using poison it makes all the diff in the world.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
Kaff

Scouts in general are weaker soloers than other archetypes.One thing to point out, though -- 20 is a really crappy level for a soloist swashbuckler -- no big hit attacks and mobs get considerably tougher. Swathe does little to help soloing (though it's amazing at farming old grey quests, heheheh -- gather enough crap that can't hit you and you can crank out 1000 damage a hit for 25 power), since I find I can't really take on large groups of enemies, even if I kill them quickly through AE -- I just can't take the hits they all pile on me in the meantime.Shangai and flashy trick, however, are more helpful for single-target soloing. So see what it's like at 21, 22, or 24 -- should be better, I know I found it so.
Kaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
Griffinclaw

Loremaster

Ohhh and make sure you are using Fancy Footwork, before starting the battle,  it will give you a very nice edge
Griffinclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:10 PM   #5
Sitala

Loremaster

I am a lvl 21 swashbuckler I made it last night, and  I solo green and blue mob, for example I hunt near the Steppes tower in Antonica, and hunt the enraged wolves, kodiaks, giant bears (when they are blue white is to much) .there are some undead near the road down from the Gnoll Keep I believe it is called, I really dont have a prob soloing them, I am in a full suite of Carbonite chainmail armor, with a crabonite tribal spear and another piercing weapon, I cant remember what quest I got it from.

But as long as you take blue and greens you should be ok, it is slower of course but good if you just want to put around gathering  things and killing on the way.
Sitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:17 PM   #6
beaker1

Remember also that you are weaker early into a new level than you are later on. At 20.6 you will have 3 additional points in all of your skills which may not seem like much but I've noticed a pretty big difference when soloing. Otherwise, make sure you have app3 for all your main combat arts and are using the level 100 poisons. But as someone else pointed out, 20 is just a tough level all around. At 22 I was soloing white and yellow griffawns in TS with little to no problem.Also, when you get into the later stages of level 21, go solo the named squire in Stromhold who is level 18+. He drops a steel forged chainmail coat which is very nice (don't have exact stats at the moment) If you go through the second door on the left in the main entrance hall he is down a set of stairs that opens into a single room. With the exception of the named mobs that spawn on the chessboard, the rest of the stuff in this area will be grey to you.
beaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
Nymh_the_Da

To the top post...

Have you been using poisons?  If not...you are only inviting slow xp/boredom.

...a stack, on average, lasts me almost a week real time...and I average 6-7 hours of gaming per night.

Message Edited by Nymh_the_Dark on 12-15-2004 02:22 PM

Old 12-16-2004, 01:39 AM   #8
Naggyba

Yep, it's getting harder and harder. Scouts are really poor soloers, especially later on in levels. At 29, I find it really hard to solo for any decent XP. I see Shamans and others killing yellow con mobs with ease. I don't dare try or I get my butt handed to me (I have tried though).Even my 14 level Shaman is killing mobs I could only dream about at 14 and having a lot of health left over. No power but, least he doesn't even come close to death. Wards rock SMILEYIt gets harder and harder. Even con solo mobs I can do but, XP sucks at these levels. You barely even see the bar move. The Shaman I saw on Enchanted Lands were doing much tougher mobs.Even hard core tanks can solo better.Scouts are group oriented through and through. Give them a group that can keep the mobs back turned to them and they rock. My swashie can inflict some serious damage, as long as he has the mobs back. He doesn't do too bad tanking now and then on the easier stuff. Just don't give him a ^^ yellow or orange to tank or he sucks the healers dry. He only has 1500+ AC buffed.

Message Edited by Naggybait on 12-15-2004 03:41 PM

Naggyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:02 AM   #9
Traigus

Loremaster

I find I solo much better with the front loaded poisons. They do less damage overall, but since you tend to overwrite your poison a lot you get theat big spike a bunch.(Note doing this in a group is a good way to get pounded by an orange ^^ while the tank giggles at you after spaming all the taunts she has and it still is hitting you.)-T
Old 12-16-2004, 02:14 AM   #10
Erasm

General

I still have a harder time soloing blue lvl 20 mobs than I do yellow mobs ( im lvl 22). I seriously think something with mobs AT lvl 20 is messed up.

At 22, I have 80 agi  from my equipment and street smarts. I can melee green group mobs ( anything from groups of 7 to single ^^ mobs) without usig any abilities and finish with negligable hp gone. It gets me roughly 1% exp, with 0 risk. Even a named unique green mob ( non caster) cant get me in the yellow. Against a blue lvl 20 mob, I get in the yellow almost every time. Against a lvl 23 mob, I usually get in the yellow as well. About the same difficulty. That just cant be right.
Erasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:11 AM   #11

to the poster above asking about it,yes I'm using 100 skill poison (catacomb sludge right now), I am now 21.7 so I'm gonna try solo again tonight while LFG SMILEYDont get me wrong, I don't deliberately solo, I group whenever its possible. But sometimes LFG times can be long and I should be able to acomplish at least something on the side SMILEY

Atten, Swashbuckler of Drow
 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:37 AM   #12
Sonnyjim_Grumblestump

Loremaster

Also, don't forget that resists can play a role, and some creatures might have better inherant resists to your particular attacks (piercing?). You might want to take a wider sampling of creatures, if you havent already. Resists were never explained very well to the melee classes IMO. I know on refuge island, the casters got a quest to go kill goos, with strict instructions to use magic instead of physical attacks. If you ever tried to melee one of those [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] goos, they were MUCH tougher than they should have been if you had no macigal attacks. I suspect resists play a fair part at higher levels too. No hard numbers, but I find Yellow Antelope are soloable in TS, while yellow beetles are certainly not. There could be other factors too like AC, but I wouldnt be suprised if it turns out that beetles just have better inherant resists to piercing attacks as well.

Come one, come all -- Visit the League of the Ignoble Liver
"I'm not just drunk... I'm leading by example!"
Sonnyjim_Grumblestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:47 AM   #13
Naggyba

Speaking of resist. My level 20 poisons (skill 100) were starting ot have no effect on 31+ mobs. They were rarely ever going off. Once I hit 30 and got skill 150 poisons, it started having an impact again and effecting the mobs and procing. Makes a HUGE difference in soloing. I imagine it will be the same when I start fighting level 40 mobs.
Naggyba is offline   Reply With Quote