EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum > Warlock
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-11-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
Moraeulfthebla

does anyone not agree with me? why should a Level 50 Guardian have nearly the same mana pool as a level 50 Warlock. My brother is a 50th guardian and his mana pool is only a couple hundred short of mine at level 50 yet he has 4,000 more HPs than i do. Beyond using mana, Mages are virtually useless. All of our damage and abilities rely 100% on power, so why don't we have larger mana pools than melee classes? Mages NEED larger mana pool and it should be fixed because it IS a balance issue. Either give us fighter equivalent HPs or double our mana pools. Heck, guardians have triple our health pools!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:54 AM   #2
JohnnyScarecr

General

His "Mana" pool, which is a Power pool is based on Strength. Yours is based on Intelligence. That's why your pools are similiar. There isn't anything wrong with that, unless he starts casting your spells.
JohnnyScarecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
Kamikaz

General

I agree with the poster...  In a soloing aspect, I run out of power all the time and die because of it just facing Yellow mobs.  Why?  Because they have the chance to interrupt me every hit they make, making me utterly useless.  A different thing is on the quest "Training of the Shield" Trial 5, yes its a heritage quest for a shield, but I would like it and would like to help my guild by giving them the status points.  Anyway, a lvl 34 Pally was able to solo this easily.  Why?  Because he didn't have to rely on his power to do his damage and he had 2-3x my hp.  I went in there, same level, first time i did this, I died because only ONE of my spells was resisted.  Second time, I went in there, that spell landed (Btw, it was Paralyzing Fear, a binding/fear move) and i killed the other two mobs almost dieing, but ended up having only 200-300 power left over...  Now any Warlock knows this can kill a good amount of things, but not when the mob can resist or interrupt your main way of killing things, and main abilities for surviving.  The last mob ended up getting a ward up, and blocked my Dark Distortion, the move that woulda killed him, but ended up only draining my power pool to 0...

Even the pally said it was unfair.  Anyway, I'll stop my rant, but I believe we should either get more HP, or 2x the power...  No reason for a guardian to have the same power as a warlock.
Kamikaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
Solan Swiftfist

Loremaster

He needs power for special moves, taunt, etc. I think it should be close. Also, I don't care for them having a big power pool because the more he can taunt, the more we warlocks stay alive.
Solan Swiftfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:57 AM   #5
Max122

Loremaster

I agree with this or we should get a little more hit points so we can turn that into power. I realize they use power alot and i am glad everyone uses power instead of a stamina pool however what good are we with no power.  Even if we had a tad more hit points to convert would be better. Also give us a ranged slot with stats that would help right there.
Max122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #6
Moraeulfthebla

ok so if warriors need the mana for special abilities and they have similar power pools to us, then why don't we have similar hp point pools? we need hps too right, so we can survive when we get beat on and so we can turn hps into power. If u agree warriors should have similar power pools to mages, then u must agree that mages should have similar power pools to warriors. therefore, mage hp pools should be tripled so that we have similar hp pools as warriors. that way it would be balanced right?

Look here: I have the same stamina as a warrior of my exact same level (50) if we have the exact same stamina, why dont we both have similar hps? We should shouldnt we? my int. is about the same as his strength and our power pools are similar, so since our stamina is the same shouldnt our hps be the same? according to the 2 people disagreeing with me, they should be the same! but NO the warrior still has almost TRIPLE my HPs even though our stam is the same. this is obviously totally unbalanced. it's quite simple to understand what i'm trying to convey.

Message Edited by Moraeulftheblade on 01-11-2005 12:38 PM

Old 01-12-2005, 03:48 AM   #7
Brumba

It makes no sense for the tanks to have triple our hp and the same power.  Sure they use power for their taunts, specials, but it is the hps that enable them to tank just as it is outr power that enables us to cast.  To really balance the game they should eliminate power as a basis for our casting ability and go back to mana.  Remember power is also used for running, what does running have to do with casting.  if they go back to mana no one will complain that their power for taunts, specials, etc is less than our mana pool as they will be 2 seperate things.  Having a mana pool double to our current power pool will considerably increase the desirability of casters to groups as well as allow us to solo lvl appropriate mobs.
Brumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:02 AM   #8
!DotU!_{Voltron}

Loremaster

I'm not gonna rant about anything. The game is the way it is, just don't [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] to me when I run out of power and stand their watching every1 else fight the battle....
!DotU!_{Voltron} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #9
Raxe Sla

We should have as much power as they have HP
Raxe Sla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #10
SilentSam

Loremaster

Yeah this pretty much seems like a no-brainer.  Obviously since we are sacrificing all the HP we should be getting more power.  Until I saw this thread I never noticed that we didn't! 
from the lands of Faydark
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SilentSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #11
Dae

What makes me sad is that I have vaguely equivalent dps to the Bard I regularly group with. That is unless you count the first 30% of the mobs hp during which time I'm casting Freezing Whorl and Curse Of Darkness. By the time I actually get to nuke I'm fairly behind in the damage dealing. I then run out of power on an extended engagement and get to chain cast Painful Meditation every time it pops, nuke twice and then wait 15 seconds for it to pop again. All the while the melees are still doing significant dps.I'm hoping that getting 27 and Infinite Void will significantly boost my power regen (or at least return more power than it takes in hp).

Wormwood Hex - Ratonga! - [Warlock (50) / Tailor (50)]
Ponk Fury - Ratonga! - [Berserker (not 50)]
D Khar - Splitpaw Server
Dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
Solan Swiftfist

Loremaster

I agree with you Moraeulftheblade that if they have as much power, give us as much HP and just let the AC make up for us getting the crap beat out of us more then warriors. That way we can convert mana much more. It looks weird to see them have as much power as us because of special moves and taunts that use it. If they cut their power down, they would always be out of power and couldn't taunt other adds. If they gave us a lot more power then we could sit back and cast all day. A slight adjustment to our main spells mana cost or give us same HP as them would fix this issue.
Solan Swiftfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:55 PM   #13
DresdenMalicaster

Loremaster

They need HP like we need Power (our primary need).
They need Power like we need HP (secondary needs).

I don't think we need to nerf tanks, but rather buff casters. Casters should be the primary damage dealers in the game. As it stands now, we are behind several scout classes.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #14
Elfy

"His "Mana" pool, which is a Power pool is based on Strength. Yours is based on Intelligence. That's why your pools are similiar. There isn't anything wrong with that, unless he starts casting your spells."

Except for the fact that the Guardian tanks like a brick wall and has been shown to parse out (at the higher levels) at equal and sometimes better than a warlock/wizard.

At least the devs didn't waste time this time around in completely destroying balance like they did in EQL.  It took them a few years to over power melee, EQ2 did it in two months:smileywink:
Elfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #15
SeTSwi

you also have to count that spells cost more than abilites and that tanks can fight and be useful even when they have no power.  So we really should have  more power to compensate
SeTSwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:22 AM   #16
Brumba

they why when our stamina is not that much lower do we have so much less hps? 
Brumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #17
Os

Completely doesn't matter if a guardian has the same raw number of power points as a mage, the power is spent completely different. If your say, 30 points of power does 200 damage, and his offensive combat swing does 40 for the same amount of power then your *efficiency* is much higher than his. Aka your power to effectiveness is much higher than his. Why should you need a larger mana pool if the mana you use goes alot farther than the power he uses? Sure to balance your class they could triple the raw points of power you have, and just triple the cost per spell, but thats seems pointless.

All hit points are created equal, but not all power points are. That is why they have more hit points than you and seemingly a same amount of power.
Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:59 AM   #18
Qaman

Loremaster

>All hit points are created equal, but not all power points are. That is why they have more hit points than you and seemingly a same amount of power.

Actually, this is incorrect using much the same reasoning that you tried to use with the power pools. All hitpoints aren't created equal, tanks make *much* better use of them simply given higher defensive skills and higher AC. Following your example of why the power pools should be the same, it should directly  follow that the hp pools should be the same too. Or they should move their AC and defensive skills down to compensate for the fact they get a higher amount of hp, but thats seems pointless.
Qaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:49 AM   #19
Moraeulfthebla

I agree with Qaman. Tanks obviously use their HPs much more efficiently than we use our HPs yet they still have plenty more. If i get hit by X mob ill take 2000 damage but if my brother a 50 guardian gets hit by X mob he'll only takes about 500 damage. His HPs, much like our mana, is used more efficiently. Therefore, why shouldnt our power pool be scaled up like their HP pool is? we need more mana!
Old 01-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #20
Jequ

Hmm absolutely nowproblems with my power pool here. I got tons of power. What i really want is more damage than a scout calss can deal. They can take a beating, disarm, track and and and.. AND they do the same damage.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:29 AM   #21
Victicu

100% of our dmg comes from power...

while soloing its very very very hard to kill solo encounters that have multiple mobs...why? because i run out of power way too fast....

a melee has a base DPS with their weapons...a steady source of "free" DPS...since they have similar power pools they not only have this "free" DPS but can also blow through their combat arts, which are sadly very similar in damage to mage spells.

an example...the glacier bears in everfrost...somtimes they spawn as a bear and a cub...this is a solo encounter around lvl 47-48...

first i have to gather them close enough to ae root them...then i have to frantically nuke one of the bears as fast as i can to kill it before the root wears off...by the time i kill one bear im at around 20% power...root breaks...i have to use even more mana to root the other bear...i no longer have enough power to finish the other bear...so i have to yell for help and run

another example in everfrost...

i watch a monk of the same lvl solo ancient frostfins easily...green con double arrow up group mobs...i blow my entire power pool on one of these frostfins and can only burn it down to around 60% health...then when i run out of power i can no longer keep root up and they crushing blow me for 1300 dmg, which is over half of my hp bar.

i have adept 3 on N.Distortion and D.Pyre, so thats not the problem...the problem is the weak power pools, and weak spells of mages.