EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Tavern > Norrathian Homeshow
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Katttara

Lord

This is great they made windows...we have asked for them a long time. But they are charging us sc for them. We have asked for windows for so long...asked for craftable ones. Instead of answering that, they nickle and dime us for an idea we came up with and asked for, and then package and sell it to us.

I can understnad it being a company and needing to make money, though many if not most of us already pay a sub as I do, and have spent a fortune on sc items, now they are more often adding items we ask for to be crafting, and often think of ourselves.

A better solution would have been to have a few types for us to craft, and others in the shop. Like they did with building blocks...offer them for sale or to craft. That would have been more fair.

I am happy they finally answered our request...but I am unhappy that they took our idea and turn around to sell it to us.

There are other choices of games that allow us to decorate and build, things like minecraft etc. I wish that they would remember we make the choice to stay here and treat us better than to sell us the ideas we gave them.

I love the game, but this was just not right, in my humble opinion.

~Kat

And P.S. This makes me concerned that they will start to sell us the wishlist ideas. =(

Kat :@
Katttara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Barq Bandit

Loremaster

Where are you seeing news about window items on the Marketplace?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Balzamonn

Champion

On the community news of the forums. Can't figure out how to link with this phone or I would

Old 08-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Balzamonn

Champion

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=521838

Lol figured it out

Old 08-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Jexi
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Blackhawks

Loremaster

I saw them in marketplace. They look neat, but all I needed was some solid clear glass. I currently use the polished ice tiles as windows and every room of my home looks like it belongs in the bathroom. I want to craft the glass tiles by the way, or at least have them tacked onto the Halas festival. Anything I build with usually requires a lot of items and it wouldn't be feasible for me to buy a ton of SC items. I generally buy SC items to help me get through a dry spell when I lack furniture pieces, but not as a way to build a whole structure from it. I just can't afford buying mass quantities off SC. I splurged recently, but thats not the norm for me. SC helps keeps us afloat, I do appreciate it.

Jexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Deveryn
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Fourth Wall

Loremaster

There's only so much that can be offered for free. If you think about it, a person who plays the decorating side of the game really doesn't have to pay SOE one cent to get satisfaction. I don't think it's too unreasonable for them to charge for some items. Afterall, it costs them money to make the art assets.

If this helps keep the whole game going, I'm happy. As noted here (on Q11), they will start offering SC items in recipe books, so there will be some relief down the road.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Absyntheea
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Lost Boys

Loremaster

I'm fairly ticked that they put windows on SC too. They should at least go to city festivals.I can understand that they need to make money, but. like the OP said.. when they take things we ask to be player crafted and put them on  the marketplace, it makes for some negative feelings. Kind of like when they started the building blocks there. I would bet the stuff they are talking about taking from the marketplace and giving us recipies  is the old stuff that people rarely buy. :-/

Absyntheea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Azxira
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Starburst

Loremaster

I think it might end up like the building blocks.  Sell them for awhile on SC (lets them make some $$) and then give them to crafters and with a larger variety of materials. 

That being said.  I would like clear glass.

Az

Azxira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Afista

Loremaster

It's another "Building Block" situation all over again.

They'll make a bit of money on it first and then I fully anticipate them making some available to craft too in order to quiet the uprising that is about to stem from the decorating community :p Still frustrating none-the-less about community requested ideas going straight to SC first... But, since they game is F2P now I'm not suprised.

Let's just cross our fingers (or ready our carpenter's mallets! ) that they are craftable soon(tm).

Click Image for link to decorating consolidated works website

Consolidated Works Fourm Thread
Afista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Katttara

Lord

[Quote above] "There's only so much that can be offered for free. If you think about it, a person who plays the decorating side of the game really doesn't have to pay SOE one cent to get satisfaction. I don't think it's too unreasonable for them to charge for some items. Afterall, it costs them money to make the art assets."Actually, to a degree, I disagree about the getting satisfaction from decorating. It is satisfying for awhile, if you overlook the *numerous* housing bugs, such as vanishing items, which never seem to get fixed. But once you've done a lot, and used the items over and over, an aspect of freshness is needed, or people get bored.New materials make for fresh ideas and fresh construction. New items should be in the crafting/non-paying end as well as the shop. (Which is why I very much appreciated the building blocks!) Keeping things fresh keeps people playing the game. Keeping people playing the game, keeps the game alive for everyone who likes it. So in essence, there is the danger of driving people away. As far as the free part, for me that is completely moot. This game is not free for me, as I chose a sub. And, not only am I paying for six months in advance, but I have bought several expansions, lots of sc items already, and many prestige houses. I think I pay a whole lot of my share towards helping to support this game, as well as a whole lot more. Like hundreds in a year.So for me, and my opinion, and what I think is right, I do not think it right to take an idea this decorating community asked for, and turn around and then ask us to pay money for it, on top of the money we already pour into this game. At the very least, it should be offered both to crafters AND the SC shop. That way, people have both options. And that way, if you feel the need to support them with more money, you are free to.However, that all being said, if they offer these or other items as recipes, that could be a redeeming factor. But that depends on what they offer as recipes. I guess we will see. =)But overall, in my humble opinion, as I already said, I do think its unreasonable to ask for more money for items when I give so much already, as do others, AND, the part that bothers me most, is asking for money for something the decorating community thought of and input into the game. I could be wrong here, but it just sorta feels like a slap in the face.But, I am still here playing, so it means I do still like the game. And I don't want to be driven off. If I didn't care, I wouldn't say anything. I do care...so I can only hope they listen.To end these thoughts on a positive note, I will say I hope they do change quite a few sc items to recipes, or at least make things a bit more even in that sense. I await with hope and some optimism.~Kat

Old 08-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Katttara

Lord

Agreed Afista...{{crossing my fingers}}

=)

Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Lizabethan

Philosopher

*shakes head sadly*

Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
Foretold
Server: Unrest_old
Guild: Rage

Loremaster

I knew as soon as I saw the postings for the new windows that the "slap in the face" postings would commence.

Relax.  We've seen this before. They will start on SC, then they will be added to city festivals/carpenter recipes.  It's not a "slap in the face".  They just want to make a few bucks off of it while it's hot and new, it's not a cause for melodrama.

I'm interested in seeing how they work.  Do they show on both sides of a wall, or do you have to buy two for that effect? I'm certain they're not see-through... Just paintings that look like windows... Or maybe I'm wrong.  I'll know as soon as I get home from work.

Foretold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Cyliena
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

This is why I refuse to contribute any more ideas, ever since they slapped me with a 3-eyed purple fish on the Marketplace.

I hope those of you who think they'll give some recipes to us as carpenters are correct. Remember though, that during the building block fiasco that it's being compared to, Domino was still around.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Cyliena

Fansite Staff

[email protected]_old wrote:

I'm interested in seeing how they work.  Do they show on both sides of a wall, or do you have to buy two for that effect? I'm certain they're not see-through... Just paintings that look like windows... Or maybe I'm wrong.  I'll know as soon as I get home from work.

Even though I'm annoyed with this, I did just buy one to test (the Palatial Stained Glass Window, 250SC). It has a solid back and is not see-through. It'll make a nice wall ornament but a terrible window.

edit: pic of front and back of it: http://twitpic.com/ap0y11/full

Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #16
Afista

Loremaster

Cyliena wrote:

Even though I'm annoyed with this, I did just buy one to test (the Palatial Stained Glass Window, 250SC). It has a solid back and is not see-through. It'll make a nice wall ornament but a terrible window.

That makes absolutely NO sense to be labeled as a window then. Maybe it's just a bug. It should definately be stained glass on both sides. Thanks for the image though. I would have been extremely ticked had I purchased one!

Click Image for link to decorating consolidated works website

Consolidated Works Fourm Thread
Afista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
Cyliena

Fansite Staff

Afista wrote:

Cyliena wrote:

That makes absolutely NO sense to be labeled as a window then. Maybe it's just a bug. It should definately be stained glass on both sides. Thanks for the image though. I would have been extremely ticked had I purchased one!

No problem. I'm assuming the other three are the same way, but in preview I can't spin them enough to see.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
Foretold
Server: Unrest_old
Guild: Rage

Loremaster

Cyliena wrote:

Well, that's a bummer.  Does it have any artificial light source, as though light were coming in through the window?  If not, its really just a glorified painting after all.

Foretold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
Kaian
Guild: Restoration

Loremaster

I knew a while ago that windows would be coming - a friend of mine knows someone who has access to the SOE offices and saw them in development, and I've been trying not to let the info out too prominently (along with another long-wished-for decorating item which hasn't been announced yet).

I didn't know that they would a) be SC (though I'm not surprised about this) and b) would, it seems, be solid-backed - which renders them pretty useless in my view.  No different to the stained glass ovals, in effect.

I could cope with these ones being SC: it's the solid backs that I'm deeply disappointed about.  I can cope with the SC factor because all of these windows are fancy styles, and I would hope and, [said with emphasis] expect that simpler ones would emerge later in the craftable carpenter recipes [heavy hint].

Solid backs will just prevent me buying them though.  They're simply not useful enough, and there's already pretty-enough styles (the aforementioned stained glass) if I want a patterned internal window in a building without an exterior.

Kaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
Cyliena

Fansite Staff

Cyliena wrote:

Well, that's a bummer.  Does it have any artificial light source, as though light were coming in through the window?  If not, its really just a glorified painting after all.

Nope, didn't notice a light source from the one I placed. No idea about the other three, I really don't want to pay them for windows but was morbidly curious about the back.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
Filly67

Loremaster

"Clearly" these are not windows they are pictures of windows.  As so often happens they took a good idea and broke it.  Ah...working as intended. 

Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #22
Nahdian

Loremaster

Well I was a dummie and bought one of each. Got a house I am working on and wanted to see how they would look. Then I found out they all had solid backs. Pretty darn useless and a waste of money . Nice wall decor , but thats all you can say for them. They could have made a fortune off me if they had simply put up a nice glass tile.  Guess the next time I will check out the forums first before buying anything. Well its back to ice tiles and mirrors for me.

Nahdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #23
Sharann
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Order of the Guiding Light

Loremaster

The decor windows on SC look nice but they do not exaclty fill the purpose we requested long ago, i.e. see-through glass tiles (square, triangle, round) and are quite expensive. I must be claustrophobic but I do not totally enjoy houses with fake windows. I like to be able to see through. Kelethin-style windows would have been nice as an example.

And please, do not sell on broker something we've been asking for such a long time as a craftable item. I would even be willing to have them available through grotto or frostfell but definitely not SC. Mounts, prestiges houses etc okay but it seems more and more items that should be available for crafting are going straight to SC.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #24
Barq Bandit

Loremaster

I bought several of the windows, and they came at the perfect time!  I was planning on doing a complete makeover of the Dojo prestige house to look a bit like a Qeynos house, as it's being used as an extension of one. The windows added the perfect touch.

I was a bit disappointed that they weren't like the ones in Qeynos homes, designed to change hue with the passage of time.  That would have been excellent.

Using them on a freestanding structure would be easy enough, even though you can't see through them. Would just require one be placed on either side of each wall.

I too would love to have clear glass building blocks!  Just like the ice ones, but with the clear glass texture.  That would be well recieved!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #25
Nibbill

Loremaster

I would rather craft the windows, but don't mind buying them....   What I don't like is the same problem....can't use them in a guild hall sigh...

Sassunach on Antonia Bayle
Nibbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #26
Avianna
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Ronin

Loremaster

All I have to say is that we all saw this coming when SC first came out. Now it is happening and people can't believe it.

Want to stop the marketplace from thriving? Only one way SOE will listen and that is thru the pocketbook! Stop buying SC and the market will crash and then we will see those things being added to the game rather than to the cash crop of SC.

I often see on the forums people asking for stuff to come out in SC and I can't help but think to myself, what an idiot. But we are halfway down this slope now so YOU make the choice to continue sliding by buying SC or to dig your heals in and climb back up and let SOE know that we do not want to be nickeled and dimed to death. New content belongs IN GAME not in the marketplace.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #27
Filly67

Loremaster

I have no issue with SC, just poorly planned products selling for SC. If you think we are halfway down the slope of SC you are wrong it is in full swing.  Many items would never even be developed if not for the chance to make money of them at least initally.  Such as many tiles, walls etc...  Of course if you don't like it you are right to speak with your wallet and not use it.  There are many items that start on SC store and end going to crafters so I don't see the big deal.  This is about commerce and many MMOs are way beyond EQ2 on that level.  SC does not affect individual gameplay you are free to continue on as you wish.  It is naive to think of this as anything but a business.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #28
StrainAsylum

Lord

KATTARA, I must agree.  I would have liked, say, 2-3 MODERATE STYLE window recipe for player crafting, with maybe 1-2 NICE (RARE) player crafted, and 1-2 EXTRA SPECIAL SC versions. 

Considering the fact that there are so few player crafted recipes for WL (except the endless VERSIONS of the tables and vases) and the materials are group or raid required, I'm not pleased with the direction Soe is heading.

If they continue this way, I may be finding another game   I love EQ2 (and my carpenter, esp), but they are more concerned with selling than with rewarding players' efforts.

Note:  I do like the different coloring on the dragon pillars, but the draconic bench and table look like half done graphics, not with clean, smooth graphics like the Kromzek stuff.

ARIANNA, I agree with you, as well.  I think there can be a BALANCE between player crafted and SC marketed, but only if there players refuse to buy SC stuff.  For now, I'll be making my windows in Layout Editor and they will use a LOT of item counts SMILEY  But they will be player made.

StrainAsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
StrainAsylum

Lord

LOL  Yup, these new windows are just "white" versions of the existing oval stained glass windows.  These LOOK as if they were transparent, but are not.  Otherwise, same thing.  Wall decor only.

StrainAsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
Jazabelle
Guild: Homes and Tomes

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I can cope with the SC factor because all of these windows are fancy styles, and I would hope and, [said with emphasis] expect that simpler ones would emerge later in the craftable carpenter recipes [heavy hint].

As I expected.

On the subject of the solid backs--it's understandable that they'd be plain. In a home interior, a double sided window would be useless. However, it would be nice if they'd give us two options--the current style, and another "double sided" style where they mirror the texture around to the back. Of course, if they did that, they lose out on having people buy two of each window from the Marketplace if they're building both an interior and exterior.

I'm not too upset about the lack of texture on the back, though. Two items to have a window versus six or ten is a vast improvement.

I'm still hoping they give us windows with clear panes of glass eventually. I don't even care if it has a frame or not (actually, I would prefer not, because not all walls are the same thickness), just that the glass is transparent or translucent, and doesn't block water/ice/sky effects.

Blog: Homes and Tomes

"I keep a can of Raid next to my bed in case there are drachnids. It is the only Raid gear I have." -- Elogrim
Jazabelle is offline   Reply With Quote