EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Tavern > Norrathian Homeshow
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
Jazabelle
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Homes and Tomes

Loremaster

I love collecting books. You might even say I'm a bibliophile. But when a bibliophile runs out of space in her house, what is she to do? Build a library, of course! The first version of the Library came into existence because of precisely that reason. While building my Kelethin home, I ran out of room. I could either shelve most of my books and never add another book or item to my house, or I could move my library into a new house, and fill up my house with knicknacks. I chose the latter option.

The Library version 1.0's lobby:

Approximately two months later (after I'd shelved all the books), the lack of real windows in the library annoyed me enough that I tore it down, and then rebuilt it again. That resulted in Library 2.0.

The Library version 2.0's lobby:

That library lasted for almost a year and a half. However, there were always little things that irritated me about it. The walls didn't line up as well as I wanted them to. You couldn't go outside the building. Each floor was a different height. I left it alone, despite all of that. For one, any time I mentioned redoing the library, I was jumped on by irate bibliophiles. Second, it took me weeks to sort, catalog, and shelve all of the books. The thought of doing it again quickly convinced me to leave it alone.

Then the Vale house was introduced. There are other library themed prestige houses. We have the Personal Library and the Arcane Academy. However, neither of them are unique, because they're pre-generated. Plus, the Library has been a tower for longer than those homes have existed. The Vale house was the perfect answer to the problem of rebuilding the Library. It's an island with character, unlike the Tenebrous island (don't get me wrong, I love the TT house. But it's very...bland. A perfect blank slate). It's a prestige house, so it's rent free--and that's a good thing, because I periodically forget to pay the rent on my houses. I took one look at the Vale house, and I decided it was high time to redo the library. We'd had building blocks and new tiles introduced. When both versions 1 and 2 were built, the only tiles that existed were cityfest tiles and the tinkered tiles. Now we have crafted tiles and building blocks!

For the first day or so, I left the old library alone. I bought the Vale house, and I began to build the tower.

Originally I went with 10 floors, just like in Library v2.0. The problem with that was that the Vale house's item limit is much lower than the Kelethin house. Additionally, it takes more items to build a house you can run around the exterior of, rather than just building so you only see the interior. By the time I'd built all 10 floors, I had approximately a hundred items left for interior decorations and the books that count towards the item count. That wouldn't do at all.

So I trimmed it down to 7 floors. That meant that I had to combine a couple of floors, and remove some floors altogether. The Lounge went away, as did the Rare Books floor. Luckily, Rare Books were just duplicates of books on other floors, just versions that are no longer obtainable in-game. Mythoi was added to "Notables and Mortals." Lastly, I moved "Chronicles" from "Chronicles, Cultures, and Hobbies," to join Mythoi. Floor IV will be pretty crowded, but it makes it easier for me to catalog the books--sometimes it's hard to tell which of those four catagories a book should fall under. By putting them all on a floor together, I neatly sidestep the problem!

I: Lobby

II: Adventurer Authored Tomes

III: Cultures, Lands, and Beasts

IV: Mythoi, Notables, and Mortals

V: Chronicles, Memoirs, and Hobbies

VI: Lecture Hall

VII: Observatory

The new lobby, south side. Pizazz thought I should switch the patterns of the floor and ceiling. While I agree with him, and think the star floor would look awesome, it just wouldn't be possible without rebuilding the entire tower. The tower floors and ceilings are rolled at an angle of 0.5, which means there's a difference of approximately 0.1 along the Z axis between the exterior of the room and the interior. Every piece of furniture was placed with this difference in mind. Furniture near the center of the room is 0.1 lower than furniture near the exterior, and all furniture is angled either 0.5 or -0.5 to keep the illusion that the floor is flat.

The new lobby, north side:

Closeup of the directory. Spelling with books is a PITA!:

Of course, once I finished the tower structure and the lobby, that meant I had to get started on decorating the interior of the tower. Then of course, I had to shelve the books. To do that, I had to destroy the old library, since none of the books belong to the character Library, and a lot of them are no-trade. I had to pack up the house and send the contents to the new library. Then I had to remove every item that wasn't a book from the moving crate, and move it back to the old library. Nearly a thousand items later, I was finally ready to start shelving books...

Don't mind the mess. Eventually the books wind up on the shelves! Note the benches under the windows and in the center of the room, for people to sit on and chat. There are four floors that look identical to this--"Adventurer Authored Tomes," "Cultures, Lands, and Beasts," "Mythoi, Notables, and Mortals" and "Chronicles, Memoirs, and Hobbies."

I'm actually not finished shelving and cataloging the books. Because the catagories changed, I have to redo it all. However, since the structure is finished, I decided to post.

The Library has always been a spot I've envisioned as a roleplay location. I want people to be able to come here for their lore needs. Unfortunately, I'm horrible at advertising, so that hasn't happened. It doesn't help that I forget to pay the rent on the Kelethin library, as I mentioned. The benefit to the Vale house is that it doesn't matter how often I forget to pay rent since it doesn't need rent! I've promised myself that once I shelve the books in the Library, I'll advertise.

People are more than welcome to hold lectures or what have you in the Library, despite that all books haven't yet made it to the shelves. Stop by and engage in a little RP if you encounter another bibliophile here!

In the spirit of roleplay, v2.0 and now v3.0 have lecture halls. The stools can be sat upon with either /sit or /sitc. There are also benches scattered all over the island, but I didn't take screenshots of those.

Because the top floor of the tower is an observatory, the board to the side of the lectern is currently a star chart.

However, the back of the star chart is actually a blackboard. The rotating board makes it easy to switch from star chart to blackboard. Just be sure to take the chalk off of the edge before you do, or you may sling it into the eye of some unsuspecting student!

I was given the telescope as a birthday gift a couple of months ago. To be quite honest, I had no idea what to do with it, until I realized I had been calling the top floor of the Kelethin library an observatory. It made perfect sense to me that I should make the top floor of version 3.0 an actual observatory, complete with telescope!

The library isn't actually complete yet, since not all of the books are shelved. In fact, I've only managed to shelve up to H. I haven't even begun sorting them.

Once the books are all sorted, shelved, and catalogued, I'll be posting the library on the leaderboards for easy travel. At the moment, it's not up. It is open for visitors, however, at Library's Vale of Halfpint Delight in Freeport on the Antonia Bayle server. It can also be accessed through Library's Aerie Kolmas in Kelethin.

If you visit and would like to sign the guest book, please read the guest book (on the Library's counter) for more information.

Thank you for visiting!

Many thanks go out to "the usual crowd" for bearing with me and helping me to error check this monstrosity. You know who you are! I'd list you all, but there are so many of you, I don't want to risk offending anyone by forgetting your name. I couldn't have done this without all of you. <3

And for those who are curious, there are more screenshots on my Facebook page. EQIIShare makes it so easy to take them while I'm building...

Blog: Homes and Tomes

"I keep a can of Raid next to my bed in case there are drachnids. It is the only Raid gear I have." -- Elogrim
Jazabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Jazabelle

Loremaster

The following list is a list of books that the Norrathian Research Library is missing. If you're on Antonia Bayle, and you'd like to donate or sell me one of the books listed below, please contact Jazabelle. If you have books introduced to the game during the latest two expansions, I may need those as well. Unfortunately, BiblioNorrath.com is not currently being updated, so any books introduced to the game after May of last year (probably a bit earlier) aren't in its database.

Donors have their name and donation posted on the Donors wall. If you wish to remain anonymous, there's even a plaque for that! I honor all contributions, even if you wish to remain nameless.

After some consideration, I decided to move the list of books to my blog. It will be easier for me to keep track of what's been donated and what hasn't if I keep the list in one location. A single list is easier to update than several.

If you'd like to think about donating books to the library, the list of needed books is located here. There's also a book in game on the lobby counter, but the blog post will always be the most up-to-date.

"I keep a can of Raid next to my bed in case there are drachnids. It is the only Raid gear I have." -- Elogrim
Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

i love it, it look so much cleaner than your past old tower.

glass domed astronomy and telescope are perfect for that island.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
msgnomer

Loremaster

Hall of Fame: Help Feed the Dragons! (No, you won't be the food!)

Look for Poet's Dungeon: The Mad Poet's Release returning soon.

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

msgnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Aiana

Loremaster

Beautiful. I adored V2.0, but I think it was brilliant to create a standing building that people can enter and leave through. Amazing work as usual. And I love those floors/ceilings!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Aiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Kaian
Guild: Restoration

Loremaster

Oh, lovely!  It looks so spacious and light - I love the new directory board and the observatory dome.  Such lovely clean lines.

Jaz, I've found a few more books for you from your list - check your ingame email SMILEY

msgnomer wrote:

This thread did remind me of the book I made from you scavanger hunt some time ago...it's in a storage location somewhere....though the library hardly seems lacking in tomes.

Now there's a point - do you have a collection of all the clues from that hunt?  That would be a nice curiosity collection for one of the bookshelves!

Kaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
msgnomer

Loremaster

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Kaian
Guild: Restoration

Loremaster

It was as much a question to Jaz as you (not sure if she kept a copy of each individual book as she was making them) but obviously the full collected riddles would be wonderful as well!

I still keep my riddle book tucked into the cushions where it was originally placed, as a memento.  It was an event so worth commemorating.

Kaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
msgnomer

Loremaster

----------

Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Jazabelle

Loremaster

Why yes, I do believe the Norrathian Research Library has a shelf dedicated to the books, and even has all of the clues written up! (Blog post explaining the Housing Scavenger Hunt for those who are curious.)

If you'd like to see the books in their native habitat, just run on up to the second floor of the Library. The books are on the shelf right as you enter.

Edit to address compliments:

Thank you for the kind compliments! The Library was created this time around to try and capture that open feeling of the Vale island, while still maintaining a distinctly "library" feel. I hope I've managed that.

Version 2.0 will be put back up (minus the books on the shelves) once I'm happy with how far along shelving version 3.0 is. I've had a couple of requests for version 2.0 to stay. And since I still have a couple of plat left in upkeep for it, I figured I can pay it up as much as it will let me, and allow you guys to enjoy your "cliffs over Kelethin" fix SMILEY

Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
Celline-Layonaire

Loremaster

Wow that looks fantastic ^_^b

Celline-Layonaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Afista

Loremaster

Jaz, you create the most amazing places! I love that the library is a free standing building now. 6It wame out wonderful. And I just adore the blackboard.

Click Image for link to decorating consolidated works website

Consolidated Works Fourm Thread
Afista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
Gzelle

Loremaster

A new one?  Spectacular my friend!  I love the upgrades and that you can actually go outside now!  Really nice job!

Skitle, Gracy - AB
Gzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
Atmu

Loremaster

Hello Jaz,

I visited the new version and I really like it. Very clever to hide the portal in that little hut as I think as well it is just in the way where it is by default. Still I miss the old library =)

Greetings Mu!

Atmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
Piestro

Community Relations

Amazing.

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
Jasarina

Tester

Amazing! Can not wait to see it in person. I wish I had the patience to do something on this grand of a scale. 

Aileya, Reassi, Raelina, Kearina, Rheassi, Amalena, Arindra, Kealina, & Jeassi (Antonia Bayle)
Jasarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
Raferty

Guardian

Amazing work, beautiful as always. ... But now you need to go make a children's library

Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Amphibia

Loremaster

Another amazing piece of work, I kinda already said it in game but I wanted to post it too. The top floor is jawdropping! I don't even want to imagine how much work went into writing with those books, though...

Amphibia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #19
ajadams

Loremaster

wow! i can tell how much time you spent on this. holy cow! this is awesome

ajadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
Jazabelle

Loremaster

Thank you again for all of the kind compliments. The Library is the home that is nearest to my heart, as it combines my love of books with my love of housing.

For anyone interested in the making of the Library, or just wishing to watch it toured live, Jaedrian of PUG TV is taking a tour this Thursday evening (June 21st). I'm sure not all of his time will be spent touring the Library, as he usually does several homes each week, but I'll be on hand to answer any questions people might have about the Library in the chat room associated with the video, or "PUG pen" as he calls it.

As I said, I'm not sure what time he'll be doing the segment on the Library, but he usually starts broadcasting around 8:30 PM PST (10:30 PM CST, 11:30 PM EST). I can't guarantee the Library is first on the lineup, but it's on his list of places to visit Thursday night, and as I said, I'll be there to answer any questions.

I'm super excited, and hope to see people there!