EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Warden
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Ozgood
Server: Vox
Guild: Paradox

Loremaster

PvP on this game is pretty quick.  Therefore, even though I like the firepower of cloth classes, I can't stand how they can basically be killed before you turn around.  My wife plays a Nuker speced Fury and I have been pondering for awhile for a good duo.  I started off as a SK (to level 24) and the lack of spike DPS, meant it was very hard for me to kill anything before it got away or killed me.  When my wife has to heal me, she can't heal her self very well or DPS.

So my thoughts are, and have been, a hybrid melee healer.  I love the idea of a Inq battle cleric, but still worry about being able to do enough spike damage to kill anyone.  I asked on their boards and got no response.  I thought a Defiler, AGI speced and INT speced would be tough to kill and make a nasty duo.  Still don't know about the DPS though, but based on what MOST people say, it is the lowest possibly in the game.  Which I find hard to believe.

Which leads me here.  I would think with their buffs, high MIT, fast casting heals, thorns, speed, CA and crit, AOE root and sword attack that heals, Wardens would be not only tough to beat, but able to do enough to lay out some people as well.  As I say this however, I don't see a lot of PvP Wardens running around with this spec.  Unfortunately, I do see a lot of Wardens though (I like to be kind of unique).

What is the downside here?  Is the CA melee Warden viable in PvP and small groups?  How would you rank them based on your knowledge:  Defiler, Inq, Warden all specced for melee on a PvP server?

Rhoellan Alts-Coercer

Jett Black-Dirge

Jiraiya Ero'Senin-Defiler

Blackrain Silvermoon-Warlock

Vox server

Proud member of Paradox
Ozgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Wershl

I am specced as a melee Warden on a PvP server and loving it. I am level 34 now and plan to be in this tier a while. I have 21AA in the EOF combat line and 4-4-4 in the KOS STR line so far. I think PvP is actually where this spec shines the most.

I started out as a Defiler and leveled to 32 but I found it lacking in PvP. My two biggest gripes were that I was unable to root or snare and people would just flee and the casting time of all my heals. I felt like there were many times in a group setting where one opponent could lock me down from casting a spell. 5 second cast time for the group ward was insane. I rarely had time to even attempt to do damage. I finally put points in the agi line to get the root CA and loved it. The root didn't last long and broke easily but I could always get it off between heals. I heard about the warden CAs and tried it out and fell in love.

With the Focus buff on our wolf form self buff and with single target heals that have half the casting time I am better able to get those spells off to keep my group alive. On top of that I can heal, heal, heal and then spend 4 seconds and dump a bunch of damage on someone and then get back to healing. This setup allows me to maintain my primary job (healing) while bringing alot more damage to the table. And if someone decides to run? That is my specialty!

To contrast the Warden with the Inquisitor I imagine the Inquisitor does slightly more damage with a melee setup (they get alot of buffs and more help in the KOS tree). Their heals are slower than a Warden and they don't have as much utility with root and snare but since your wife is a fury this may not be as big a deal.

But really, as a two person team I would think a healer and "something else" would be better. I love being in a balanced group in PvP. As a healer, having a good tank around in PvP is sooo nice and SKs get the ultimate "burst damage" ... Harm Touch. It always makes me giggle when I go to assist my tank and the target is already dead. I know the person on the other end is thinking "[expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]!?!"...
Wershl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
frostbane

Loremaster

Firstly let me say if your wife is a fury then you will have some buff stacking problems if you play a warden. 
On the other hand, both classes of druids bring some very powerful healing to any situation (a warden a bit more then a fury, especially in the group heal category!)

Wardens are pretty solid when it comes to keeping things on lock down with their roots. 

I play a warden on PvP and though i am not spec'd for melee i can oftentimes tear through 2 opposing players by myself (depending on thier class).  From what i have experienced of the melee line is that the damage is comprable to that of using spells, only your able to deal the damage much quicker due to the low cast times.  This makes the healing demand of your opponents higher since they need to heal faster! 

All in all a warden makes a great piece to a duo, but your honestly better off with an inquisitor solely for the diverse buff set...
frostbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:17 AM   #4
Dragonreal

General

have you considered a brigand? they have amazing debuffs, taunt/dispel, good damage, tracking, and a self mit buff plus a very very nice healer saver ability.
Dragonreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:38 AM   #5
Skivley101

Loremaster

As far as I know for fury warden buffs not stacking.....They are only the wisdom component of group buff....single target thorns  & spirit of the bat?

The single Hot & group Hot dont stack either.

I have duo'ed with fury PVE and was a very powerful combo with mele warden ,nuke based fury. .....PvP I can only imagine ????

But for dueling i find this strategy works against most mele classes........

Try rooting them as soon as possible and nuke them at a distance .....It lures them into a false sense of security thinking that if they get up close theyll win....Then they seem totally suprised by the amount of quick damage done once they'er in your face.

I have yet to beat a brigand though.....havent tried yet with the mele warden.....Still have bad memories from dueling the Uber brigand in my guild  :smileysad:

Message Edited by Skivley101 on 01-05-2007 01:39 PM

Old 01-06-2007, 03:03 AM   #6
Dragonreal

General

brigands are the anti-healer heh they can dispel just about ALL of your buffs in about a second with their taunt, so they stun you for idk 5-10s, dispel your buffs, and pwn you before you can even cast anything.Honestly, if not having enough damage was the op's problem, I really don't think taking up a healer class is going to help, regardless of how nice the melee lines are for us. I really think op should try a brig or mebbe a brawler if lack of damage was the issue with the tank classes they tried.

Message Edited by Dragonrealms on 01-05-2007 05:04 PM

Dragonreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:41 AM   #7
Skivley101

Loremaster

Yes ofcourse a mele damage class would do more damage duo ..... But the surviveability with 2 druids while still dealing some moderate damage would be nice.....Then picking up a mele damage class to form a trio would probably be pretty devastating and easy to come by.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:03 AM   #8
stargazer5678

Loremaster

Actually the SK/Fury duo is one of the best due to the fact that Fury buffs Int which increases SKs DPS from spells.
stargazer5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Crimson Dragon

Loremaster

the agility component of your group buff won't stack, nor will your heat/cold buff, or group mit buff (if the furys have one of those). in general, it takes whichever is buffing for more. since one is agi/wis and the other is agi/int, you will still get both wis and int, but will only get whichever amount of agi is greater.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:35 AM   #10
frostbane

Loremaster

Dragonrealms wrote:
brigands are the anti-healer heh they can dispel just about ALL of your buffs in about a second with their taunt, so they stun you for idk 5-10s, dispel your buffs, and pwn you before you can even cast anything.

Honestly, if not having enough damage was the op's problem, I really don't think taking up a healer class is going to help, regardless of how nice the melee lines are for us. I really think op should try a brig or mebbe a brawler if lack of damage was the issue with the tank classes they tried.

Message Edited by Dragonrealms on 01-05-2007 05:04 PM

When i engage a brigand i bust out ancient sylph right of the bat, and then i back off and start rooting.  Once i get them locked i'll do some nuking and wait for band of thugs...once that comes out i pop off serenity (STA AA final ability), root the thugs and go back to owning rooted brigand!
frostbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #11
xandez

Loremaster

erm... SK/Fury duo should be pretty decent... like someone said earlier, the firy buffs INT which increases the SK:s DPS. Its true thou, that SK is not very good against single targets (compared to multitarget encounters)... maybe this is why you dont feel its good in PvP. *shrug*Anyway, i would recommend the battlecleric with fury duo, because of the stacking issues... Nothing wrong with the melee warden thou, give it a try? SMILEY++Xan

xandez is offline   Reply With Quote