EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Starbuck1771

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 59
Default

We have had the same GH's for some time now isn't it time for some new ones. Maybe a Guild owned island or a desert palace or some such. Maybe a prestige guild hall with no upkeep. /Discuss!

Starbuck1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Rahatmattata

Loremaster
Rahatmattata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,232
Default

sure, why not.

__________________


A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

I do not like the idea of no upkeep.

Guild halls are for guilds, they should require resources to maintain, such resources that it woulud be difficult for one player, or even a small group of players to maintain.

The game benefits from having people together in larger groups.  Studies demonstrate that the more tied into community players are in a game, the longer their retention with it.  Offering free halls isn't the best way to encourage players to flock together in larger numbers.

Sure, many people will respond its my game, I want it my way, and I don't like or have time, or whatever.  It doesn't really change the truth that players more engaged with game communities at any level have a higher retention rate.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
TorrynWoodsrunner

Fansite Staff
TorrynWoodsrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 185
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

I do not like the idea of no upkeep.

Guild halls are for guilds, they should require resources to maintain, such resources that it woulud be difficult for one player, or even a small group of players to maintain.

The game benefits from having people together in larger groups.  Studies demonstrate that the more tied into community players are in a game, the longer their retention with it.  Offering free halls isn't the best way to encourage players to flock together in larger numbers.

Sure, many people will respond its my game, I want it my way, and I don't like or have time, or whatever.  It doesn't really change the truth that players more engaged with game communities at any level have a higher retention rate.

First, I'd like to respectfully disagree with you. I'm not saying you're outright wrong, I just look at it from a different perspective. I'd also be interested in these studies you're referring to.

Here's my perspective on the Guild Hall situation, from my perspective as a Guildmaster of what was one of the larger and more active RP guilds on Antonia Bayle:

Yes, large groups are a benefit. But inevitably, over time, guilds lose people. Games lose people. We're watching it happen. Moonshadows has dwindled to a skeleton crew thanks to attrition caused by many factors, one of which was the hacking debacle that shut the game down for almost two months. Many of our guildies never came back. And we're not the only guild this happened to.

Those of us who remain work very hard in order to keep up maintenance on our T3 guild hall. A hall we earned. A hall we have no itention of giving up. We put a lot of time, effort, and pride into decorating it. Fitting it with amenities. And everything else.

We're trying to get more people in the guild to build up our roster again. But that's hard when there's very little traffic through the game itself, and most of what exists are the die-hards rather than new players. These aren't studies, this is actual fact. Traffic is down. And things like SOEmote aren't going to bring people flocking in, or flocking back.

Do I want free guild halls? No. Free guild halls offer no incentive. However, I -would- like to see status items lower guild hall status cost. Perhaps reducing status as low as 10% of normal, without eliminating status cost completely. Let's face it, coin is easy to get even if your guild is a guild of one. Status, that's hard to accumulate, especially when you consider that people want to spend status on themselves as well as dump it into GH escrow.

I'd love to see new guild halls, or new options to allow us to change the base decor of the existing ones. But the overall Guild Hall system needs tweaking as well, and I'd rather see that happen before adding to an existing problem.

TorrynWoodsrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Cloudrat

Tester
Cloudrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,560
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Do I want free guild halls? No. Free guild halls offer no incentive. However, I -would- like to see status items lower guild hall status cost. Perhaps reducing status as low as 10% of normal, without eliminating status cost completely. Let's face it, coin is easy to get even if your guild is a guild of one. Status, that's hard to accumulate, especially when you consider that people want to spend status on themselves as well as dump it into GH escrow.

I can accumulate status faster than coin so......not a relavent reason to lower status.

__________________
Cloudrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Marnus
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Tandros os Thol
Rank: Archduke

Loremaster
Marnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 275
Default

Prestige guild halls would be nice. I would also like to see-and im surprised they havent done this already-guild "perks" like in other games. Like better exp at a certain guild level, summoned banker, higher coin drop, etc.

Marnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Chronus1

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 253
Default

New guild halls simply for the reason of an excellent one time plat sink could be very good and an opportunity to dump several hundred thousand plat out of every server. Extra perks/amenities could be cool though I don't particularly like those... I would like to see the return of some of the dropped buff clickies (they were from Avatars way back then right?).
__________________
Chronus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Mixxit
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
Mixxit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 465
Default

there is a t4 guild hall i saw it in the files when we could use the viewer it is the t3 but has a massive basement underneith in place of the dock and has about 15 rooms in it it's pretty nice

__________________
---------------

Alluvial, Order of Thunder @ Antonia Bayle

Maintainer of Lore of Norrath

Need lore? EQ Timeline

Mixxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
TheSpin

Loremaster
TheSpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,587
Default

Without addressing some of the greater issues that pertain to guilds,  I can say that I absolutely disagree with offering rent-free guildhalls, but I totally agree with the idea of adding some nice new guildhalls to the game.  Doesn't matter to me if they come from the marketplace or not.  In fact, I think one good way new guild halls could be added would be to allow multiple people to contribute to their purchase via a special type of currency only available in the marketplace.  It would take some special coding to avoid abuse or fraud, but it would give prestige guild halls the potential to be profitable enough to design them.

TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Perrigrin
Server: Crushbone
Guild: The Shire
Rank: Village Elder

Loremaster
Perrigrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 178
Default

I don't think I would like to see rent-free prestige halls. Guild halls are a privilege, not a right, and being as such they should need resources to maintain.

However, I would love to see some different styles of GH. Even halls from the different cities look quite similar to eachother. Maybe be able to model some after some of the prestige homes, like the Crag Estate, or the Halas Manor.

__________________
Gohzar
92 Troll Inquisitor

Perrigrin Tinkertock
92 Gnome Swashbuckler

Taeryyn Laethelyyn
92 High Elf Illusionist
Perrigrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
Illmarr

Loremaster
Illmarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,448
Default

Cloudrat wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Do I want free guild halls? No. Free guild halls offer no incentive. However, I -would- like to see status items lower guild hall status cost. Perhaps reducing status as low as 10% of normal, without eliminating status cost completely. Let's face it, coin is easy to get even if your guild is a guild of one. Status, that's hard to accumulate, especially when you consider that people want to spend status on themselves as well as dump it into GH escrow.

I can accumulate status faster than coin so......not a relavent reason to lower status.

I can accumulate gold faster than status, especially with no status being awarded for most of the current raids so.....a relavent reason to lower status. Your reasoning is about as silly as my rebuttal.

Climbing out of the muck, Yes to new Guild Halls, no to zero upkeep on them

Illmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Yes, large groups are a benefit. But inevitably, over time, guilds lose people. Games lose people. We're watching it happen. Moonshadows has dwindled to a skeleton crew thanks to attrition caused by many factors, one of which was the hacking debacle that shut the game down for almost two months. Many of our guildies never came back. And we're not the only guild this happened to.

Those of us who remain work very hard in order to keep up maintenance on our T3 guild hall. A hall we earned. A hall we have no itention of giving up. We put a lot of time, effort, and pride into decorating it. Fitting it with amenities. And everything else.

If you want to keep your top of the line, luxury privilage, continue to invest the effort to maintain the requirements. It is not like getting status or plat is hard.If it is too hard to maintain the requirements, downgrade to either of the lower tier halls. You have only "earned" the T3 guild hall, as long as you can continue to pay for it.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
Starbuck1771

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 59
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

I do not like the idea of no upkeep.

Guild halls are for guilds, they should require resources to maintain, such resources that it woulud be difficult for one player, or even a small group of players to maintain.

The game benefits from having people together in larger groups.  Studies demonstrate that the more tied into community players are in a game, the longer their retention with it.  Offering free halls isn't the best way to encourage players to flock together in larger numbers.

Sure, many people will respond its my game, I want it my way, and I don't like or have time, or whatever.  It doesn't really change the truth that players more engaged with game communities at any level have a higher retention rate.

I am talking just the rent. All other amenaties would still require status and plat to continue to rent.

Starbuck1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak
Rank: Colonel

Fansite Staff
Cyliena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,798
Default

Starbuck1771 wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

I do not like the idea of no upkeep.

Guild halls are for guilds, they should require resources to maintain, such resources that it woulud be difficult for one player, or even a small group of players to maintain.

I am talking just the rent. All other amenaties would still require status and plat to continue to rent.

I'd be game for that. Even if it were an item (akin to an item expander) that when applied removed the base upkeep cost of your hall.

New amenities would be nice as well. We've guild level 62 and have already gotten everything we care about (aside from the standard bearer which is too costly for us to bother with). Add in a chronomage already--trust me, they don't increase city traffic.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Mixxit
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
Mixxit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 465
Default

would like to see more involvement in guild halls but not take away from the cities - possibly something like the diplomacy system from vanguard implemented into eq2 and revolving around guild buffs instead of racial buffs or something similar

this would give us a a nice opportunity for more lore to be involved and relationships between your guild and other city guilds whilst also giving guild wide bonuses

finally i would love for you to disable the guild hall music - i despise it with all my heart and i turn off the rest of the games music because of it - perhaps it's time for a guildhall jukebox ammenity

__________________
---------------

Alluvial, Order of Thunder @ Antonia Bayle

Maintainer of Lore of Norrath

Need lore? EQ Timeline

Mixxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant
SisterTheresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,250
Default

Though I cannot comment on some regards (as my guild on AB, Restoration is level 90 guild) I will say I do like the idea of more guild halls in the sense of atmosphere or location.

Making them rent free?  Eh ... I personally do not do tons of writs or anything like that so my status isn't alot, though we do have a few in our guild that accumulate the status quick.  And with having a T3 guildhall the cost is quite high.  And no, no one really wants to move back to the T2 though I do ... I crash alot >.>

__________________
SisterTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Those of us who remain work very hard in order to keep up maintenance on our T3 guild hall. A hall we earned. A hall we have no itention of giving up. We put a lot of time, effort, and pride into decorating it. Fitting it with amenities. And everything else.

We're trying to get more people in the guild to build up our roster again. But that's hard when there's very little traffic through the game itself, and most of what exists are the die-hards rather than new players. These aren't studies, this is actual fact. Traffic is down. And things like SOEmote aren't going to bring people flocking in, or flocking back.

I completely empathize with the challenges you are facing, I really do.   However, that is in my opiinion even more reason for the halls and amenities to remain expensve and if anything become more 'expensive' from a time investment standpoint.

Simply put, with attrition there are dozens and dozens of guilds just like yourself.  The game needs to put presure on the whole of you to find a way to get together.  To push you into giving up your silos and joining together into a new larger group of players.

Making things cheaper and easier to remain silo'd as you (and many others are) isn't the best solution for long term retention of players.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time
Rank: Member

Loremaster
Tylia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 757
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Those of us who remain work very hard in order to keep up maintenance on our T3 guild hall. A hall we earned. A hall we have no itention of giving up. We put a lot of time, effort, and pride into decorating it. Fitting it with amenities. And everything else.

We're trying to get more people in the guild to build up our roster again. But that's hard when there's very little traffic through the game itself, and most of what exists are the die-hards rather than new players. These aren't studies, this is actual fact. Traffic is down. And things like SOEmote aren't going to bring people flocking in, or flocking back.

I completely empathize with the challenges you are facing, I really do.   However, that is in my opiinion even more reason for the halls and amenities to remain expensve and if anything become more 'expensive' from a time investment standpoint.

Simply put, with attrition there are dozens and dozens of guilds just like yourself.  The game needs to put presure on the whole of you to find a way to get together.  To push you into giving up your silos and joining together into a new larger group of players.

Making things cheaper and easier to remain silo'd as you (and many others are) isn't the best solution for long term retention of players.

I disagree with you Ulrichvon.  My husband and I have a guild where we keep all of our alts.  A couple friends also have alts in our alt guild.  Our mains are in a raiding guild.  We like it that way, and we are in no way negatively affecting anyone else in the game by this set up.  Explain to me why the cost of the upkeep on our alt guild should become more "expensive" over time?  Why should we be forced to expand our little alt guild in to a "larger group of players"?

Our mains are in a raiding guild, with plenty of players.  Having all of our alts in our own alt guild allows us to "provide" for them on our own.  We don't use the raiding guild's resources when crafting.  We don't clog up the guild roster with a whole slew of alts.  We have the use of our alt guild bank to store and share items.  The hall is decorated the way we want it to be.  We are not faced with having to deal with guild "drama".  We don't have to worry about who we invite and if they are going to cause problems.  And we still spend plenty of time grouping, raiding, talking to, and communicating with members in the larger raiding guild.

You have given no sound reason as to why we (and others who have small guilds) should be "forced" to band together in to larger groups.

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

[email protected] wrote:

I disagree with you Ulrichvon.  My husband and I have a guild where we keep all of our alts.  A couple friends also have alts in our alt guild.  Our mains are in a raiding guild.  We like it that way, and we are in no way negatively affecting anyone else in the game by this set up.  Explain to me why the cost of the upkeep on our alt guild should become more "expensive" over time?  Why should we be forced to expand our little alt guild in to a "larger group of players"?

You're using the feature in a way it wasn't intended for in order to justify lower costs.

You admit everyone engaged in your 'guild' is already involved in some other larger community and this is an 'alt activity'.  Thats fine and good if you can afford the effort, but that is not a good arguement for making them cheaper.

Making them cheaper only provides incentive for those who are silo'd in these smaller, dwindling guilds that aren't just 'alting'.  My arguement, and there have been industry research that backs it up, is its healthier for the game to encourage and incentivize players to form community in game.  Guilding being the most accessable method in EQ2.

The cost works as a negative reinforcement to disuage players from being too spread out from one another.

Explain to me how we make your alt guilds cheaper and also provide incentive for small non-alt guilds to find and build larger communities?

I'm not saying SoE will change anything, I'm just saying a game that pushes players together and encourages them to build larger communities (more than 3-10 players together) results in longer retention of those players and ultimately a more successful game.  Guilds and their amenties can and are a motivation, they could be a larger motiviation if the costs of them were more difficult to be afforded by just a handful of players.

I recognize that might step on every couple in this game having an alt guild, but I would argue the overall health of the game is better off having more forces pushing people together than encouraging siloing.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
decator666

Champion
decator666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 160
Default

I agree we need more variety on guild hall looks.  I love the uncanny house and still use it for my apprentice quests.  I think the status cost and the prices are all fine as is.  It is challenging for me and my mom to raise the guild but it's also fun that way.  Some of us do not enjoy playing in big guilds as there is alot of times when you just would rather not be bothered because you are busy crafting or doing your own thing.  I don't consider that a bad thing in a game.

Not everybody is into socializing.  Even though this is an Multiplayer game, it doesn't mean it is not soloable.  The main reason we play these type of games is because of the ever expanding world and game play.  Offline games do not offer this so we play online games.

__________________
92 Provisioner

92 Carpenter

92 Weaponsmith

92 Woodworker

92 Tailor

92 Armorsmith

92 Scribe
decator666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time
Rank: Member

Loremaster
Tylia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 757
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I disagree with you Ulrichvon.  My husband and I have a guild where we keep all of our alts.  A couple friends also have alts in our alt guild.  Our mains are in a raiding guild.  We like it that way, and we are in no way negatively affecting anyone else in the game by this set up.  Explain to me why the cost of the upkeep on our alt guild should become more "expensive" over time?  Why should we be forced to expand our little alt guild in to a "larger group of players"?

You're using the feature in a way it wasn't intended for in order to justify lower costs.

You admit everyone engaged in your 'guild' is already involved in some other larger community and this is an 'alt activity'.  Thats fine and good if you can afford the effort, but that is not a good arguement for making them cheaper.

Making them cheaper only provides incentive for those who are silo'd in these smaller, dwindling guilds that aren't just 'alting'.  My arguement, and there have been industry research that backs it up, is its healthier for the game to encourage and incentivize players to form community in game.  Guilding being the most accessable method in EQ2.

The cost works as a negative reinforcement to disuage players from being too spread out from one another.

Explain to me how we make your alt guilds cheaper and also provide incentive for small non-alt guilds to find and build larger communities?

I'm not saying SoE will change anything, I'm just saying a game that pushes players together and encourages them to build larger communities (more than 3-10 players together) results in longer retention of those players and ultimately a more successful game.  Guilds and their amenties can and are a motivation, they could be a larger motiviation if the costs of them were more difficult to be afforded by just a handful of players.

I recognize that might step on every couple in this game having an alt guild, but I would argue the overall health of the game is better off having more forces pushing people together than encouraging siloing.

I am not asking for guild halls to be cheaper to maintain.  I just disagree completely with your logic that they should be made more expensive, simply to force a larger guild size.

I think that a lot of guilds are started because everyone wants to be the "chief" and not enough players are just happy being the "followers".  Forcing players to conform to a style of play that they are not happy with does not result in longer retention of players either.  SMILEY

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord
Koleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 713
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Those of us who remain work very hard in order to keep up maintenance on our T3 guild hall. A hall we earned. A hall we have no itention of giving up. We put a lot of time, effort, and pride into decorating it. Fitting it with amenities. And everything else.

We're trying to get more people in the guild to build up our roster again. But that's hard when there's very little traffic through the game itself, and most of what exists are the die-hards rather than new players. These aren't studies, this is actual fact. Traffic is down. And things like SOEmote aren't going to bring people flocking in, or flocking back.

I completely empathize with the challenges you are facing, I really do.   However, that is in my opiinion even more reason for the halls and amenities to remain expensve and if anything become more 'expensive' from a time investment standpoint.

Simply put, with attrition there are dozens and dozens of guilds just like yourself.  The game needs to put presure on the whole of you to find a way to get together.  To push you into giving up your silos and joining together into a new larger group of players.

Making things cheaper and easier to remain silo'd as you (and many others are) isn't the best solution for long term retention of players.

I disagree with you Ulrichvon.  My husband and I have a guild where we keep all of our alts.  A couple friends also have alts in our alt guild.  Our mains are in a raiding guild.  We like it that way, and we are in no way negatively affecting anyone else in the game by this set up.  Explain to me why the cost of the upkeep on our alt guild should become more "expensive" over time?  Why should we be forced to expand our little alt guild in to a "larger group of players"?

Our mains are in a raiding guild, with plenty of players.  Having all of our alts in our own alt guild allows us to "provide" for them on our own.  We don't use the raiding guild's resources when crafting.  We don't clog up the guild roster with a whole slew of alts.  We have the use of our alt guild bank to store and share items.  The hall is decorated the way we want it to be.  We are not faced with having to deal with guild "drama".  We don't have to worry about who we invite and if they are going to cause problems.  And we still spend plenty of time grouping, raiding, talking to, and communicating with members in the larger raiding guild.

You have given no sound reason as to why we (and others who have small guilds) should be "forced" to band together in to larger groups. 

The agrument is that small groups of people (silo'ed) which have less interaction with other small groups of people are not conducive to the game's on-going community in a positive way.  It fractionalizes the community.  Everyone is doing thier own thing and each accomplishing less than they may if worked in conjunction.

Your issue as many folks' is that you have built the game world around yourself like a wall.  If Halls were truely something difficult to attain or cost more plat/status, making them more difficult to retain, the people would be more inclined (hearded like cattle) to work together for a common goal.

However, as it stands right now, a single (solo) player running through one of the zones conducive to that type of Plat + Status reward can easily pay the T3 upkeep for a week or a T2 for a month.  Status is far easier to earn than Plat or can even be purchased via plat, but neither are hard accquire.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
Gilasil

Loremaster
Gilasil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 907
Default

Don't make them cheaper.  Paying the rent shouldn't be all that difficult for a reasonably active guild with a few high end members.  If a guild can't afford a T3 hall anymore they should think about downgrading or merging with another guild.  We don't need one person guilds in T3 halls.

I wouldn't mind a wider variety of halls though.  Not the T3 which I consider over the top.  In fact almost all T3 halls I've seen weren't even close to fully utilized. 

More emphasis on T1 and T2 halls might be more appropriate.  Perhaps some T1s and T2s with all the amenities of a T3 and with appropriate cost.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #24
Atmu

Loremaster
Atmu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 253
Default

Cloudrat wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Do I want free guild halls? No. Free guild halls offer no incentive. However, I -would- like to see status items lower guild hall status cost. Perhaps reducing status as low as 10% of normal, without eliminating status cost completely. Let's face it, coin is easy to get even if your guild is a guild of one. Status, that's hard to accumulate, especially when you consider that people want to spend status on themselves as well as dump it into GH escrow.

I can accumulate status faster than coin so......not a relavent reason to lower status.

I don't know to what GH you are you reffering to but to get 455 000 plus each week is not easy. The coin is easy though.

Greetings Mu!

Atmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
bks6721

Loremaster
bks6721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,593
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

I do not like the idea of no upkeep.

Guild halls are for guilds, they should require resources to maintain, such resources that it woulud be difficult for one player, or even a small group of players to maintain.

The game benefits from having people together in larger groups.  Studies demonstrate that the more tied into community players are in a game, the longer their retention with it.  Offering free halls isn't the best way to encourage players to flock together in larger numbers.

Sure, many people will respond its my game, I want it my way, and I don't like or have time, or whatever.  It doesn't really change the truth that players more engaged with game communities at any level have a higher retention rate.

the study i did showed that most large guilds have a rotating membership much more than very small guilds.  In the past, I've been in gullds of 200+ and they have completely disappeared.   Now, my guild of 3 has been doing fine in its 4th year straight.  Haven't lost a single member.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #26
bks6721

Loremaster
bks6721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,593
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

would like to see more involvement in guild halls but not take away from the cities - possibly something like the diplomacy system from vanguard implemented into eq2 and revolving around guild buffs instead of racial buffs or something similar

this would give us a a nice opportunity for more lore to be involved and relationships between your guild and other city guilds whilst also giving guild wide bonuses

finally i would love for you to disable the guild hall music - i despise it with all my heart and i turn off the rest of the games music because of it - perhaps it's time for a guildhall jukebox ammenity

rename the music files.   my guild hall music is Stairway to Heaven.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
bks6721

Loremaster
bks6721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,593
Default

Ulrichvon wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I disagree with you Ulrichvon.  My husband and I have a guild where we keep all of our alts.  A couple friends also have alts in our alt guild.  Our mains are in a raiding guild.  We like it that way, and we are in no way negatively affecting anyone else in the game by this set up.  Explain to me why the cost of the upkeep on our alt guild should become more "expensive" over time?  Why should we be forced to expand our little alt guild in to a "larger group of players"?

You're using the feature in a way it wasn't intended for in order to justify lower costs.

You admit everyone engaged in your 'guild' is already involved in some other larger community and this is an 'alt activity'.  Thats fine and good if you can afford the effort, but that is not a good arguement for making them cheaper.

Making them cheaper only provides incentive for those who are silo'd in these smaller, dwindling guilds that aren't just 'alting'.  My arguement, and there have been industry research that backs it up, is its healthier for the game to encourage and incentivize players to form community in game.  Guilding being the most accessable method in EQ2.

The cost works as a negative reinforcement to disuage players from being too spread out from one another.

Explain to me how we make your alt guilds cheaper and also provide incentive for small non-alt guilds to find and build larger communities?

I'm not saying SoE will change anything, I'm just saying a game that pushes players together and encourages them to build larger communities (more than 3-10 players together) results in longer retention of those players and ultimately a more successful game.  Guilds and their amenties can and are a motivation, they could be a larger motiviation if the costs of them were more difficult to be afforded by just a handful of players.

I recognize that might step on every couple in this game having an alt guild, but I would argue the overall health of the game is better off having more forces pushing people together than encouraging siloing.

if having 70+% of a solo guild players QUIT the game is considered healthy for the game then I'd agree with you 100%.  But, I don't think thats good for the game.

If people WANTED to be in larger guilds they would be.  

Perhaps there are FAR more players who enjoy small guilds over large guilds.  You telling me I should be in a large guild is as silly as me telling you that you should be in a solo guild.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #28
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

[email protected] wrote:

if having 70+% of a solo guild players QUIT the game is considered healthy for the game then I'd agree with you 100%.  But, I don't think thats good for the game.

If people WANTED to be in larger guilds they would be.  

Perhaps there are FAR more players who enjoy small guilds over large guilds.  You telling me I should be in a large guild is as silly as me telling you that you should be in a solo guild.

This however is one of these things that players percieve to want one way, but actual facts show those engaged in larger communities stay with a game longer.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #29
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord
Koleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 713
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Perhaps there are FAR more players who enjoy small guilds over large guilds.  You telling me I should be in a large guild is as silly as me telling you that you should be in a solo guild

I usually refer to that as "My House" ...

The point the OP was trying to make was that it would be cool to have a few more Hall layouts with a little more variety.  There is nothing wrong with that and it's something the game should add ever so often in a similar fashion they are adding more housing and dungeon maker layouts.  Everyone got hung up on the prestige with no upkeep.  It's still a good idea to have more variety.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
bks6721

Loremaster
bks6721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,593
Default

[email protected]_old wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Perhaps there are FAR more players who enjoy small guilds over large guilds.  You telling me I should be in a large guild is as silly as me telling you that you should be in a solo guild

I usually refer to that as "My House" ...

The point the OP was trying to make was that it would be cool to have a few more Hall layouts with a little more variety.  There is nothing wrong with that and it's something the game should add ever so often in a similar fashion they are adding more housing and dungeon maker layouts.  Everyone got hung up on the prestige with no upkeep.  It's still a good idea to have more variety.

agreed!  I'd love more choices in guild halls.  Some of the SC houses would make very nice guild halls.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:53 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.