EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
molinaro

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default

I'm on my bl with a templar merc in Deathfist Citadel.  Alchemist Yallesul charms me.

I check the icon and it says, 20 minutes remaining.

And now I'm down to 13 minutes remaining as I pick my nose.

My warder is apparently taking a nap.  He is not fighting anyone and won't take any commands.  His status is defend me and defend himself.

The merc is being nuked by the Alchemist and is in response, spamming heals on himself.  He is also in defend self and defend me mode. Yet he seems to think he is out of combat, so is getting fast power regen and staying at 100%.

So apparently, sitting here and picking my nose while I wait for a spell with a 20 minute duration to run out is the dev's idea of playing a game.

This could not be a stupider design.

And yes, I ended up waiting the entire 20 minutes.  I've never seen such a ridiculous thing in a game before.  Un freaking belieavable.

molinaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Mystfit

Loremaster
Mystfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,984
Default

Healer mers shoudl cure, that seems fair...

But, as far as being a stupid design....this used to be a game of groups SMILEY Groups did dungens and heroic content...it could easily be *assumed* one would travel with another person to deal with such things...That's not true so much any more...people solo more then ever or with mercs....duo. But, I think it's ok for the devs to be cut some slack for not having changed every heroic mob and every dungeon to be solo friendly.

Now, I've seen them go back and make things more small group friendly..as in the changes made to EH and it's charm, so I'm not against suggesting things that may need tweaks, but the design itself isn't flawed....it's perhaps not kept pace with where the game i going....

__________________
Mystfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Mohee

Lord
Mohee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
Default

Trust me, i've had this frustration before trying to solo this guy in the past with my conjuror (or with any class really). But you'll run into this kind of stuff sometimes when you're soloing "group" content.

But this is a group zone and is designed for at least 3 people or more. so bringing a friend or two with you will fix this problem.

Just be glad Emperor Fyst isn't a epic x2 anymore =P

edit: maybe try having only your warder and merc tank the mob? try that and see if you still get hit with the charm/mezz.

__________________


EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
molinaro

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default

Just to be clear on a few points...

- after waiting 20 minutes for the charm to wear off I easily killed him

- I would 100% have prefered to have been killed rather than being essentially locked out of the game for 20 minutes.

The problem is that the merc would not fight back.  My warder would not fight.  The merc would have easily been killed if the game did not for some bizzare reason give him out of combat health and power regen while he was being pounded on by the alchemist and by me for 20 minutes.

I guess this isn't so much a bad design as it is a bug with how mercs react when your character is charmed.

molinaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Axyrem

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 56
Default

if that is true then this is the most stupid online game design i have heared about. The game deisgner must have had forgotten to add a script for solo player attacks on this mob.

leave someone waiting 20 minutes in mmorpg´s is simply outrageous group content or not......

20mins ..... man really

Axyrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster
CoLD MeTaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,217
Default

molinaro wrote:

Just to be clear on a few points...

- after waiting 20 minutes for the charm to wear off I easily killed him

- I would 100% have prefered to have been killed rather than being essentially locked out of the game for 20 minutes.

The problem is that the merc would not fight back.  My warder would not fight.  The merc would have easily been killed if the game did not for some bizzare reason give him out of combat health and power regen while he was being pounded on by the alchemist and by me for 20 minutes.

I guess this isn't so much a bad design as it is a bug with how mercs react when your character is charmed.

That particular spell (iirc) was put in the game specifically to prevent people from solo-ing heroic content.  ie it's supposed to annoy you and encourage you to bring friends.

__________________


CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Onorem

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,155
Default

Axyrem wrote:

if that is true then this is the most stupid online game design i have heared about. The game deisgner must have had forgotten to add a script for solo player attacks on this mob.

leave someone waiting 20 minutes in mmorpg´s is simply outrageous group content or not......

20mins ..... man really

A 20 minute charm does seem overkill for any situation, but don't blame a designer for a mob in a 7 year old zone not reacting well to a solo player with hired bot help. Why should they have planned for solo attacks on content that wasn't designed to be soloed?

Sounds like they need to add a fix to mercs to keep them in combat when the owner is charmed.

__________________
_________________________________
"EQ2 is not a "free to play" game, so microtransactions are unlikely to ever have the "front seat" role that they have in F2P games" - SmokeJumper - 4/20/2010
Onorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Mohee

Lord
Mohee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
Default

Lets just change all group zones to solo

/sarcasm

__________________


EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster
CoLD MeTaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,217
Default

Mohee wrote:

Lets just change all group zones to solo

/sarcasm

no sarcasm, you might as well since no one will PuG anymore.

__________________


CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Mohee

Lord
Mohee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
Default

I've stated before in a few forums that discuss the Dungeon Finder, yes it can be extremely difficult to find a DF group or even a PuG using /lfg or chat channels. I think a primary reason for this is because of the major overhaul of the overland zones that made them all solo content. Solo Questing at a leisurely pace is literally 3-5 times faster experience than a fast paced dungeon crawling group. That alone turns people off from doing dungeons. The XP is horrible.

Another thing about most 20-89 Dungeons is the loot is horrible. There's still so many legendary/fabled loot that still has old crappy stats, you're better off wearing quested treasured gear. I can't speak for other servers, but I know on the Freeport server, not many Free/Silver players like doing dungeons because even if any good Legendary/Fabled gear drops, they cant use it without spending SC on unlockers. at between lvls 1-89, it's not worth it.

It really comes down to being SoE's fault for making the game WAY to solo friendly. Getting from 1-90 is a lot easier and faster than doing dungeons. And then a lot of people get frustrated when they hit 90 and start grouping because a lot of them have no idea how to play their character in a group situation. Then you have the veteran players who get frustrated because you have so many 90's joining groups that don't know how to play in a group situation. It's just down-right frustrating for almost everyone.

Your best bet is to try and find a good guild that actually groups up, helps eachother learn the game, and help eachother out in general. If you join a guild and they don't hardly talk, or group, or do anything, leave it!

__________________


EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Felshades

Loremaster
Felshades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,887
Default

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

molinaro wrote:

Just to be clear on a few points...

- after waiting 20 minutes for the charm to wear off I easily killed him

- I would 100% have prefered to have been killed rather than being essentially locked out of the game for 20 minutes.

The problem is that the merc would not fight back.  My warder would not fight.  The merc would have easily been killed if the game did not for some bizzare reason give him out of combat health and power regen while he was being pounded on by the alchemist and by me for 20 minutes.

I guess this isn't so much a bad design as it is a bug with how mercs react when your character is charmed.

That particular spell (iirc) was put in the game specifically to prevent people from solo-ing heroic content.  ie it's supposed to annoy you and encourage you to bring friends.

NO, that's why mandate was added.

I can solo that mob with the charm. It just requires me to not be at level.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #12
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis
Rank: Cavalier

Loremaster
Odys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,422
Default

Mohee wrote:

I've stated before in a few forums that discuss the Dungeon Finder, yes it can be extremely difficult to find a DF group or even a PuG using /lfg or chat channels. I think a primary reason for this is because of the major overhaul of the overland zones that made them all solo content. Solo Questing at a leisurely pace is literally 3-5 times faster experience than a fast paced dungeon crawling group. That alone turns people off from doing dungeons. The XP is horrible.

Another thing about most 20-89 Dungeons is the loot is horrible. There's still so many legendary/fabled loot that still has old crappy stats, you're better off wearing quested treasured gear. I can't speak for other servers, but I know on the Freeport server, not many Free/Silver players like doing dungeons because even if any good Legendary/Fabled gear drops, they cant use it without spending SC on unlockers. at between lvls 1-89, it's not worth it.

It really comes down to being SoE's fault for making the game WAY to solo friendly. Getting from 1-90 is a lot easier and faster than doing dungeons. And then a lot of people get frustrated when they hit 90 and start grouping because a lot of them have no idea how to play their character in a group situation. Then you have the veteran players who get frustrated because you have so many 90's joining groups that don't know how to play in a group situation. It's just down-right frustrating for almost everyone.

Your best bet is to try and find a good guild that actually groups up, helps eachother learn the game, and help eachother out in general. If you join a guild and they don't hardly talk, or group, or do anything, leave it!

Indeed soe invented the a new concept : the risk time reward.

It means that the product of your risk by your reward is constant, in other word doing risky content (dungeon) decrease your reward (xp, aa, looot per minute).

__________________
Odys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:18 AM   #13
Mascouti

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
Default

Felshades wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

molinaro wrote:

NO, that's why mandate was added.

I can solo that mob with the charm. It just requires me to not be at level

Key mobs, rare mobs are still easily soloable.  Probably any class can do it now since mercs was added.

__________________
Mascouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #14
Lasai

Loremaster
Lasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: my own basement
Posts: 1,295
Default

Axyrem wrote:

if that is true then this is the most stupid online game design i have heared about. The game deisgner must have had forgotten to add a script for solo player attacks on this mob.

leave someone waiting 20 minutes in mmorpg´s is simply outrageous group content or not......

20mins ..... man really

It was not designed as solo content...so why would you add solo scripts?

__________________
Never try to teach a pig to whistle. It only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

Lasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #15
Peogia

Loremaster
Peogia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 928
Default

molinaro wrote:

I'm on my bl with a templar merc in Deathfist Citadel.  Alchemist Yallesul charms me.

I check the icon and it says, 20 minutes remaining.

And now I'm down to 13 minutes remaining as I pick my nose.

My warder is apparently taking a nap.  He is not fighting anyone and won't take any commands.  His status is defend me and defend himself.

The merc is being nuked by the Alchemist and is in response, spamming heals on himself.  He is also in defend self and defend me mode. Yet he seems to think he is out of combat, so is getting fast power regen and staying at 100%.

So apparently, sitting here and picking my nose while I wait for a spell with a 20 minute duration to run out is the dev's idea of playing a game.

This could not be a stupider design.

And yes, I ended up waiting the entire 20 minutes.  I've never seen such a ridiculous thing in a game before.  Un freaking belieavable.

The only way to break the charm is to go linkdead log out and back in but you will need some one els or a box to hold the instance open for you or you will proble be locked out when u log back in

__________________
The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Peogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #16
Peogia

Loremaster
Peogia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 928
Default

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

molinaro wrote:

Just to be clear on a few points...

- after waiting 20 minutes for the charm to wear off I easily killed him

- I would 100% have prefered to have been killed rather than being essentially locked out of the game for 20 minutes.

The problem is that the merc would not fight back.  My warder would not fight.  The merc would have easily been killed if the game did not for some bizzare reason give him out of combat health and power regen while he was being pounded on by the alchemist and by me for 20 minutes.

I guess this isn't so much a bad design as it is a bug with how mercs react when your character is charmed.

That particular spell (iirc) was put in the game specifically to prevent people from solo-ing heroic content.  ie it's supposed to annoy you and encourage you to bring friends.

Why would a group change anything? if group wipes and your charmed its still a 20-minute wait either way not sure if priests can cure it don't always have one in all groups but going linkdead sure cures it well then run back and 1 shot the name

I will never forget leveling my pally there and being mt for a full group I got charmed by the name and killed every one several times that was a blast

__________________
The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Peogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #17
Brigh

Loremaster
Brigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,159
Default

ah the fine art of paying attention to spell casts and interrupting them...
__________________
Anything you can achieve through hard work, you can also just buy.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #18
daalberith

Lord
daalberith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 85
Default

Brigh wrote:

ah the fine art of paying attention to spell casts and interrupting them...

Pretty much. I solo'd him while he still conned with my BL a few days ago just fine. The Prince's chain fearing is what got me because it messed with my warder.

I've never had that charm last 20 minutes on any character I've solo'd DFC with, but that's besides the point. When the charm lands on you while soloing him the combat is broken. That means whatever pet(s) you have stop fighting. I would assume the same applies to mercs (I have yet to bother with them in this game). I don't know if that would stop them from trying to cure or not even if they could, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

__________________
"The only limitations to our potential are those boundaries which we refuse to cross."

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
daalberith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
Axyrem

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 56
Default

Lasai wrote:

Axyrem wrote:

if that is true then this is the most stupid online game design i have heared about. The game deisgner must have had forgotten to add a script for solo player attacks on this mob.

leave someone waiting 20 minutes in mmorpg´s is simply outrageous group content or not......

20mins ..... man really

It was not designed as solo content...so why would you add solo scripts?

simply because its possible to solo this content meanwhile. Better gear and higher levels open group and raid content to solo players sooner or later in every game.

SOE isnt flexible enough... maybe because EQ2 has blown up to much

Axyrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
Lasai

Loremaster
Lasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: my own basement
Posts: 1,295
Default

Axyrem wrote:

Lasai wrote:

Axyrem wrote:

if that is true then this is the most stupid online game design i have heared about. The game deisgner must have had forgotten to add a script for solo player attacks on this mob.

leave someone waiting 20 minutes in mmorpg´s is simply outrageous group content or not......

20mins ..... man really

It was not designed as solo content...so why would you add solo scripts?

simply because its possible to solo this content meanwhile. Better gear and higher levels open group and raid content to solo players sooner or later in every game.

SOE isnt flexible enough... maybe because EQ2 has blown up to much

I am a soloer.  I soloed when the world was full of linked heroics, soloed when every trash one up could see stealth.. on an assassin.   I like solo content, but that by NO MEANS gives me some right to expect that every group designed dungeon and script be revamped to accomodate my type of game.

Some scripts require groups.  Period.  Whether it be a charmer, or having to be in multiple places at the same time to click clickies or whatever.  Some scripts will never allow a merc to take the place of an actual player in a group, and I hope they never change that.

Solo content is good.  The attitude that we are somehow entitled to solo anything and everything.. not so good. 

__________________
Never try to teach a pig to whistle. It only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

Lasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #21
Mohee

Lord
Mohee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
Default

Try and solo the Djinn Master.

even at 90

Good luck! 

Post a vid =P

__________________


EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:11 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.