EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #61
Necrotherian
Server: Najena
Guild: Forgotten Abyss

Loremaster

winawilde wrote:

This deal is pretty discriminatory, many people in small towns do not even have a GameStop store, making this offer very unfair.

Many people in small towns don't have stable home internet, either, so I'm not really sure what your point is.  Please clarify.

Also, I've lived in a town with a population of less than 500 people.  15 miles away, however, there was a larger town (about 50,000 people) with a mall.  How close is the nearest large town or city?

Necrotherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #62
Eliohia

Guardian

i live in a small town with no gamestop so i went to the big town closest to me and they called the other stores and all informed me that they no longer carry the cards so how the hell is that gonna work if they dont sell them anymore? lol

Co-Leader in Guild Divinity

Happy hunting!!
Eliohia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #63
Lempo

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

My point, if you wish to call it that, is that there is a system in place to determine which cards are from GameStop, and which aren't.  If you didn't buy it at a GameStop, it doesn't count for this promotion.

I suspect that the reason they are making the promotion specific to given store chains is to possibly convince those store chains to start carrying more of the cards in their stores, and also to highlight, one at a time, which store types carry them.  I could be wrong, since I don't work for SOE or GameStop.  (Or any of the other stores which carry the cards, for that matter.)  But, what I have posted above seems the most logical to me.

You pretty much summed it up, the card technology is called FastCard and is used by almost all games, gift cards for major dining chains etc. the parent company is InComm, the cards when activated identify where they were purchased and allow the companies that use them to get very specific marketing reports to determine where they were purchased, down to the zip code, the date the card was purchased (activated) and redeemed, pretty much everything that marketing directors want.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #64
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

anynamewilldo wrote:

Customers beware:

I called a gamestop store near me and spoke with Mike at gamestop Monmouth Mall in New Jersey (732) 935-9625).  He said they sell SONY game cards and have them in stock but they are not participating in any promotions (that he knew of) and that I will not get double cash.  

Lots of stuff in between. Snipped for brevity.

From an annual station pass customer x3 with current station balances around 10k on each account. 

I informed my gamestop manager buddies that there was a double SC promotion this weekend.

They said "Sweet! Stock up!"

I had no problem at all with my gamestop cards giving double station cash, even though the employees had not a clue there was a promo going on.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #65
Mohee

Lord

I went into my local gamestop yesterday, picked up a card and went to the counter. I asked the manager (that just happened to be working at the time) if I would for sure be getting double the points. He looked at me like I was stupid, said he has no idea and has never heard of such promotion, so I put the card away and walked out... 

I'm not risking it if no gamestop manager/employee has any idea if its true or not.

Sorry SOE, you lost out on my buy, again. I have a few friends that live in a different town who I just got into playing, and basically the same exact thing happend to them when they went into their Gamestop. So they wont be going gold for a while. They were going to pick up enough cards for a few months of Gold membership, AoD, and DoV. They aren't even sure they want to keep playing EQ2 anymore because of their lack of communication between stores and their promotions.

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #66
Ozblock

Loremaster

The bricks and mortar vendors dont know about the promo - and having purchased a card to check out the double Station Cash promo found that my SOE account hasn't heard of it either. I entered in code from a 1500 SC card (same type displayed on web page) and only recieved 1500 - not 3000 as promoted (date 25/02/12 5.15 pm PST). Friends account did the same. I tried raising this as a ticket with customer support but that didnt work either - not happy SOE - and I am not likely to repeat this type of purchase again.

Ozblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #67
akin99

Lord

Mohee wrote:

I went into my local gamestop yesterday, picked up a card and went to the counter. I asked the manager (that just happened to be working at the time) if I would for sure be getting double the points. He looked at me like I was stupid, said he has no idea and has never heard of such promotion, so I put the card away and walked out... 

I'm not risking it if no gamestop manager/employee has any idea if its true or not.

Sorry SOE, you lost out on my buy, again. I have a few friends that live in a different town who I just got into playing, and basically the same exact thing happend to them when they went into their Gamestop. So they wont be going gold for a while. They were going to pick up enough cards for a few months of Gold membership, AoD, and DoV. They aren't even sure they want to keep playing EQ2 anymore because of their lack of communication between stores and their promotions.

SOE has no control of gamestop. The promotions are done between SOE and the vendor. It is up to the vendor to inform their employees. Why you think SOE should or would be allowed to comunicate with the individual Gamestop employees is beyond me.

Bought 4 cards turned them in for double points nice promo. Thanks SOE

akin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #68
Kitila

Loremaster

LOL this move by SOE makes me giggle, kinda like when they promised SWG players FREE ACCESS to SOE games if we resubbed for the final months of SWG but then they made all the dam games F2P anyway so they basically bait and switched scammed us and then wonder why people sued them. I concur with my fellows here though called every gamestop in a 50m radius and none of them heard of this promo, and only 1 out of 16 stores even carried SOE/SC cards. And that store was discontinuing them.... Fail SOE fail on so many levels. I didnt have any issue picking up my SWTOR 60 day card though and there wasnt even a gimmick for that....Just saying

Kitila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #69
Kuulei

Tester

winawilde wrote:

This deal is pretty discriminatory, many people in small towns do not even have a GameStop store, making this offer very unfair.

No gamestop, no walmart (closest that carries the cards, is 2 states away in Colorado), no CVS.  I have nothing in state I an go to for any type of station cash card 

I have to wait for days they have bonuses with credit cards, lol

Old 02-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #70
Necrotherian
Server: Najena
Guild: Forgotten Abyss

Loremaster

Ozblock wrote:

The bricks and mortar vendors dont know about the promo - and having purchased a card to check out the double Station Cash promo found that my SOE account hasn't heard of it either. I entered in code from a 1500 SC card (same type displayed on web page) and only recieved 1500 - not 3000 as promoted (date 25/02/12 5.15 pm PST). Friends account did the same. I tried raising this as a ticket with customer support but that didnt work either - not happy SOE - and I am not likely to repeat this type of purchase again.

Quick query.  Was it a brick and mortar GameStop?  Or was it one of the other vendors that also carry the card.

If the latter, only the cards purchased at GameStop stores count for this promotion.

If the former, I don't know what to tell you.  I bought four of them at a GameStop in central Texas (not even a big city - well....at least not what Texas calls a big city), and I was able to redeem them all for double value.

Necrotherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #71
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

why exactly does it matter that the employee had no clue about the promotion? Maybe they did nto read the weekly updates that ae sent out by corproate - SOE knows exaclty what cards are sold by what vendor though a identifcation number in the numeric sequence that you enter to claim the cash or activate the game card. The manager / employee on duty at the game stop that I picked mine up at did not even know they had they even carried the cards when I checked out. the only one that is losing out on the promotion is you and your friends.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #72
Questall
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: The Eternal

Lord

winawilde wrote:

Many people in small towns don't have stable home internet, either, so I'm not really sure what your point is.  Please clarify.

Also, I've lived in a town with a population of less than 500 people.  15 miles away, however, there was a larger town (about 50,000 people) with a mall.  How close is the nearest large town or city?

How about a whole country then? In Belgium there is no game stop whatsoever and all  the other game shops had to hand in the old SOE cards and arent selling anything anymore. That is pretty discriminatory, but i dont care anymore, as things are going EQ2 is burrying themselves already, so im not wasting any more time to even TRY and get a card

Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #73
Darkpit
Server: Unrest
Guild: Blood Talon

Loremaster

chardz wrote:

winawilde wrote:

How about a whole country then? In Belgium there is no game stop whatsoever and all  the other game shops had to hand in the old SOE cards and arent selling anything anymore. That is pretty discriminatory, but i dont care anymore, as things are going EQ2 is burrying themselves already, so im not wasting any more time to even TRY and get a card

i feel the same way, i cant get the cards either . the gamestop stores around me dont sell the cards anymore and haven't for some time. and i agree i think it is discriminating

Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #74
Finora

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

chardz wrote:

winawilde wrote:

i feel the same way, i cant get the cards either . the gamestop stores around me dont sell the cards anymore and haven't for some time. and i agree i think it is discriminating

No matter what kind of promotion they run, someone's going to be unhappy with it. When it was credit card only ones, there were people here moaning about having to have a credit card to get double station cash. When it was all cards, people moaned about the fact they couldn't use their credit cards or that there were no cards available immediately for them. This is nothing different. The game card only promotions are more a business move to get more stores to carry the cards that just happens to have side benefit to the players who can find the cards in the stores.

It's not  like they don't run all sorts of double SC promotions. You'll get your double cash from a credit card (or whatever it is you want) if you can be patient. I con't see why people are getting so very bent out of shape over it. There's nothing on the market I want so much that I'm going to lose my mind over it if I have to wait a bit (and just to note, I went to my local Gamestop & couldn't find anything but Playstation cards either so didn't get in on the promotion). So I'll just wait until I can use the Wal-Mart, Walgreens or credit card again.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #75
Trevynoae

Loremaster

I can say:

Here in Germany (Karlsruhe to be precise) - oh wonder (!) - I had no problem getting the cards and redeeming them for double the SC.

It hasn't been long ago that such things didn't work out well here. Usually because gamestop didn't have and SOE Game Cards.

(Needless to mention I did not use them for EQII but EQ.)

Trevynoae is offline   Reply With Quote