EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Guide Events
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #91
Leety
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Voodoo

Loremaster

Squeecha wrote:

Sounds like it's been a good while since you were in.

It was last year.  Right around Fan Faire.  I think in my training they said the new guild hall was only a few weeks old, if that helps you place the time better.  I notice that you hint that it is now different, but how?  Or is it a super secret what you offer the customer base?

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

You must not be looking hard enough. I've done probably 15-20 or more guide quests, a little under half of which were ones I found out about through the AB guide thread and the rest I found out either by being lucky and being in the zone when they were being run (maybe 10% max) or through other players saying that a quest was being run (often in crafting chat).

They're there, but you have to look for them and, to some extent, be lucky.

I am a rather recent transplant to AB, my old server was just a little too dead for my tastes (I work nights, so play early morning hours, mainly).

Leety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #92
Mairlianaxx

Guide

You asked how the guide program has changed, let me see if I can help a little bit (and without breaking any rules)!

1st: You mentioned quests. For EQII in the beginning the selection was very limited due to it being a new game, but over the past year multiple new quests have been added and there's all different sorts of quest to choose from and a lot of them can be run by 1+ guides. Domino is great! She's helped with new rewards, illusions, and quests for us and so a lot of them have improved. As for levels, that too has changed. While some of the same old quests exist, there are quests for all different levels and zones, some that are level specific, and others that are for any level. As for quest approval, yes it might take a bit of time especially if it requires developer time. Since we're a team of volunteers we don't have access to all of the same things developers or even GMs do.

2nd: Zonewide hints and getting interest. There have been ways to get interest added to policy, taking into consideration the guild halls you mentioned. However, if there are players already in the zone where the quest is being held who come to respond to the quest those methods aren't usually used. That may be frustrating from a players perspective cause they want to run every event they can, but we don't want to spam the players who just aren't interested. So it can take luck and being in the right place at the right time to find us!

3rd: Zones. Unfortunately zone restrictions still apply. SOE dictates what zones we can and cannot go to. There's usually a reason for this and the reasons vary by zone.

4th: Guides online. A lot of the time guides are hidden on their quest avatars. I can personally tell you this past week alone I ran 4 different quests and appeared twice as my guide persona. That may not be as much as other guides or it may be more than other guides. But the minimum is 4 roleplay sessions or 1 quest. How much extra time gets put into the program depends on the individual and WILL vary based on their real life duties. We are volunteers after all. *smiles*

I hope I helped... even if only a little. I love love love being a guide and have been one on EQ1 and EQ2 since 2006 or so and have seen the many changes that have taken place.

Nektulos Server

To Apply to the Guide Program & For Guide news and information: http://forums.station.sony.com/station/forums/list.m?category_id=44
Mairlianaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #93
Azron

Apprentice

Zenadina wrote:

Clicked on your link and get "There is a problem with this website's security certificate"

If i go past that the first page asks for my station name, password and email. The the address up top in bright red text. Sorry but that is as far as i got before leaving the site, way to scary

I also got the website security warning and anandoned the link immediately -- not a good way to recruit new people

Azron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #94
Squeecha

Senior Guide

Well, I could say that it's safe all day, but the certificate is up to the folks at SOE to correct, or at least make not-selfsigned.

But, if you want to do the application via email, check out the SOE Station forums. Naylie has put the application there that folks can copy and email to her.

http://forums.station.sony.com/stat..._id=11500014198 

Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #95
Kromulok

Loremaster

so i went to apply today. The certificate warning didn't bother me. You know what did? You know what made me not apply?

Station name:
NOTE: This is your Station login name.
Station Password:
NOTE: This is your Station login password.
Current Email:
NOTE: This is the email that you currently use. If it is not the same as the one attached to your account, please visit www.station.sony.com and update your account information.

SOE has said for years - SOE WILL NEVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR PASSWORD.

Yet here you do. No thanks. I am not risking typing in my password on a site that has certificate security warnings. Chances are this site could be hacked and key logged.

You want guides? Fix the process.

Kromulok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #96
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Kromulok wrote:

SOE has said for years - SOE WILL NEVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR PASSWORD.

Yet here you do. No thanks. I am not risking typing in my password on a site that has certificate security warnings. Chances are this site could be hacked and key logged.

You want guides? Fix the process.

SOE never asks for your password in email or in other communication. They ask for your password all the time when you try to log in to a website -- that is no different.

With that said, the full application is available at http://forums.station.sony.com/stat..._id=11500014198 and only asks for you to email your responses in. You do not have to log in to the guide application website at all, you can do the application there. You'll note it specifically asks you NOT to send your password in there. They don't want your password, the guide site just uses it to associate your application with your account (and verifies that it is you by logging you in).

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #97
Squeecha

Senior Guide

As Lord_Ebon said, it isn't asking for your password. It is asking for you to sign in, just as you must to post here or in order to log onto any SOE site as you. Nobody is asking you to send in your password.

But as they also said, and I did right before your post, there is also the option to email the application shown at http://forums.station.sony.com/stat..._id=11500014198 to SOE.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #98
Miznit

Loremaster

Well, I did it.  I submitted my app for the guide program a fe minutes ago.  I had a blast on the guide quest (at least I think it was a guide SMILEY ), and decided to give it a go.  Hope I get accepted!  I'll try to be patient, honest, I will!

Miznit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #99
Squeecha

Senior Guide

Yeps, patience is a virtue.. of course, nobody ever said I was virtuous eithers.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #100
Miznit

Loremaster

Just checked my email. I got a reply...I passed the first level of review!  That was prett quick, as I just applied yesterday!   Iknow my account is in good standing and everything there is good to go, so I should hear more soon-ish,  YIPPEEEEE!

Old 09-11-2010, 02:13 AM   #101
Alvane
Server: Unrest
Guild: Old Timer Guild

Loremaster

Ya... I talked with a guide in Frostfang Sea and decided to apply. But the certificate not valid thing kept popping up and I just wasn't going to take a chance. And I checked it through Mac and through Win 7. I tried to find out why it wasn't valid, but nothing showed up. Sorry.

If I do the email thing, I would have a totally separate email on gmail or yahoo or msn, just to be safe.

Alvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #102
Miznit

Loremaster

Well, I looked in my email a few minutes ago, and there was another email.  I read it, and sent back a reply.  I'm in!  I have to be scheduled for training, and have no clue what server I will be on, but I was selected to be in the guide program!  Yippee!!!

I Had expected a longer wait than this, but I'm glad it was (relatively) short.  See you in game (on some server, under a different name)!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #103
Brutalicus
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Dark Crusade

Loremaster

We need some guides for guide events over here on nagafen.  Pvpers need lovin too!

Brutalicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #104
Kain-UK

Loremaster

I've been considering doing this for a loooooooong time...

Maybe I need to consider it a bit more seriously. Are the activity requirements on the FAQ still accurate? (1 quest/4 sessions per week)

Elnan Tarmikos: 90/250 Shadowknight

Teion Orval: 90/250 Guardian
Kain-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #105
Squeecha

Senior Guide

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I've been considering doing this for a loooooooong time...

Maybe I need to consider it a bit more seriously. Are the activity requirements on the FAQ still accurate? (1 quest/4 sessions per week)

Yeps. That is still correct. : )

Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #106
Squeecha

Senior Guide

[email protected] wrote:

We need some guides for guide events over here on nagafen.  Pvpers need lovin too!

Well, that's somethings beyond the ability of just one Ratonga to change. If you has feedback about Guides and such, you are always more than welcome to email [email protected] with your kudos, problems, and suggestions.

Maybe they just figures that you all woulds scare us off?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #107
SoulFlyHeadBangr

Loremaster

I was a guide in the first public recruitment drive of the guide program.  Was a guide briefly on Guk server but had to leave shortly after due to real life issues.  I was told I could come back at any time.  What do I need to do to get reinstated?  I recently returned to EQ after a three year hiatus.  I regretted leaving the program and have been wanting to get back in for a long time now.  Any help would be appreciated.

SoulFlyHeadBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #108
Squeecha

Senior Guide

Check your PM's. SMILEY

Old 04-09-2011, 04:44 AM   #109
Hallowell
Guild: Chaos Legion

Lord

Hi all.

Been a while since there has been any action on this forum, I see..

Well - here is the deal. I had the same "thing" happening to me, like SoulFlyHeadBangr:

I used to be a Guide on Butcherblock and was only there briefly since I, due to getting carpal tunnel syndrome, had to leave.

Now I would love to come back again - I really miss the Guide Program and all those wonderful people in it. Oh, and the players too of course

What can I do to be reinstated?

Sincerely

Jonas

Hallowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #110
Squeecha

Senior Guide

I IM'ed you toos! SMILEY

Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #111
Ilovecows
Guild: The Catalyst

Loremaster

I kind of understand why there are no guides on pvp servers... but wouldn't it be possible to make the guides immune to pvp so that people wouldn't be able to kill them?  I think that would work...

I hear a lot of cool stuff about guides and what not they do.  I remember on Nagafen we used to have GMs come to TD and such and give us candy on halloween.  It has been a long long time since anything like that has happened on Nagafen.

One of my favorite memories in the game was watching my guildie fight a gm 1v1 and win SMILEY  I have seen full groups attacking Kiara when she was doing the rat race on Nagafen, and they couldn't kill her SMILEY

I would want to be a guide, but i guess I have to wait and apply once I am 18.  Oh well :/

I AM ILOVECOWS! REMEMBER THAT BECAUSE I LOVE COWS. YOU SHOULD LOVE THEM TOO. COWS ARE AMAZING AND I DON'T SEE HOW ANYONE COULD POSSIBLY SAY THAT THEY AREN'T AMAZING. JUST LOOK AT THEIR NATURAL BEAUTY AND GRACE. THE AMAZINGNESS OF THESE ANIMALS ASTOUNDS ME EVERY TIME THAT I SEE THEM. DON'T HATE ON ME FOR THIS, BUT IF YOU DO NOT LOVE COWS, YOU ARE NOT A REAL PERSON.
Ilovecows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #112
Squeecha

Senior Guide

This is just my belief, and so I'll present it as such, but I somehow don't believe that the threat of the Guides being killed is that large a deterrent.

But, the constant possibility that the activities they participate in could be disrupted is probably a factor.

Since us Guides are largely creatures of a roleplay nature, if the local riddle contest (for example) turns into a gankfest between players, or if the riddle-giver can't even manage a complete sentence because someone is standing there attacking over and over... then it kinda negates the fun for some of those trying to participate in the contest.

However, again.. them decisions is up to folks far above my paygrade... assuming I got paid to begins with.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #113
Gumgan
Server: Unrest_old
Guild: Fabled

Lord

I've tried the links several times (using internet explorer), but it just keeps saying: Website can't load this.  Can a guide PM me the questions so I can send them to the e-mail?

Gumgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #114
Encanto

Senior Guide

[email protected]_old wrote:

I've tried the links several times (using internet explorer), but it just keeps saying: Website can't load this.  Can a guide PM me the questions so I can send them to the e-mail?

The original Guide Application site is currently down. To read about an alternate way to apply, please visit this thread on the SOE Community Forum: Guide Application Information

The questions you seek are located there.

A PM is on it's way to you with the same info. I am posting the information here for the benefit of others as well.

Cheers,

Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #115
Mairliana

Senior Guide

The original author of this thread (Pabinee) is no longer in the program. Twicket is an Apprentice Guide on Unrest and at this time cannot answer PMs. So if you've sent one to her and haven't gotten a response that is why. If you need questions answered I would be happy to assist and will try to check my PMs here more frequently or as Encanto stated in a previous post you can visit the Station forums to find out more information on the Guide program and how to apply. =)  

Old 06-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #116
Ziabis

Loremaster

May I get some info on recruitment as well please?

Ziabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #117
Ziabis

Loremaster

Also where do I find the guide postings for up coming events on Crushbone please?

Ziabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #118
Mairliana

Senior Guide

To apply to the program information can be found here: http://forums.station.sony.com/stat....m?forum_id=207

For Crushbone quest hints can go here: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=481206

Hope that helps!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #119
Dreamer451

Loremaster

I am interested, but nothing I have tried allows https://guide.station.sony.com/guideapp/faq.php to appear (IE, Firefox, different settings, etc.). I am hesitant to apply without knowing some more details.

Dreamer451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #120
Dreamer451

Loremaster

Encanto wrote:

[email protected]_old wrote:

The original Guide Application site is currently down. To read about an alternate way to apply, please visit this thread on the SOE Community Forum: Guide Application Information

The questions you seek are located there.

A PM is on it's way to you with the same info. I am posting the information here for the benefit of others as well.

Cheers,

Unfortunately, that URL does not bring up a page either. Maybe I am too tired ... or the SOE servers are ...

Dreamer451 is offline   Reply With Quote