EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > General Tech Support Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Haaens

Loremaster

Hey folks, need some help with running EQ2 with Vista. First let me tell you my setup

Intel Quad Core Q6600 Processor - 2.6 gHz x4 - FSB - 1066 mHz - 3 gigs of ram - nVidia 8400 gs 256 MB ram - 640 GB SATA RAID - Running Windows Vista

Ok got a new PC and was excited about running EQ2 on it as I am a 3 year veteran and have been using basically the same setup since the beginning. However, I have been greatly disappointed. This is pretty much a clean system with not much else installed other than the basics like Office etc.  I can't really turn the graphics up and it hiccups every once while, especially while in a group.

Can anyone direct me as to either some tweaks or something to look at? I am running Comcast cable internet and I am hard wired, NOT using the wireless to reduce the lag.

THANKS!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Theramor-GoV

Loremaster

Unfortunately alot of the issues are because of the current EQ2 game engine.  It doesn't handle multi-cpus well and it also doesn't offload alot of graphic options to the video card.  Which means your quad-core is only running on the equivalent of one cylinder.But there are a couple of things you can do.First off, if there are any apps you run while playing EQ2 (Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Winamp, etc) you can change their affinity to another core, leaving core 0 open as much as possible.  You do that by launching the apps, then opening the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, and right clicking on each process and choose "Set Affinity" and uncheck any options for "Core 0".  Some people say that you should force the EQ2 app to another core, but it does use additional cores for threading, but very very few.  On my C2D setup, I do see the EQ2 app using the other core occasionally, but only a fraction of what it could use.  By forcing its affinity to one core, it will stop it from using those other cores.  This way you free up as much as you can from core 0 so that EQ2 can use it.Secondly, make sure your running EQ2 as an Administrator, by right clicking on EQ2.exe and choosing "Run As Administrator".  Off hand, I can't think of anything else....hopefully someone else will post here there ideas.T

Theramor-GoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Haaens

Loremaster

Thanks for the response.

I definitely do the "Run as an Admin" trick, however when I go to set affinity it just says "Unable to process/access denied." I am TOTALLY setup as the admin. Any clues on what I am doing wrong?

Yes you are right on the EQ2 engine and multi-core processors. I thought I was doing a good thing and upgrading, but at this point my 3 year old system was better at running the game.

I did hear a possible patch for EQ2 was coming to address and make us of Multi-core units?? Anyone confirm that?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Haaens wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I definitely do the "Run as an Admin" trick, however when I go to set affinity it just says "Unable to process/access denied." I am TOTALLY setup as the admin. Any clues on what I am doing wrong?

Yes you are right on the EQ2 engine and multi-core processors. I thought I was doing a good thing and upgrading, but at this point my 3 year old system was better at running the game.

I did hear a possible patch for EQ2 was coming to address and make us of Multi-core units?? Anyone confirm that?

Sounds like you are setting it at the wrong level, you need to set it from the patcher, not the game, if run through a launcher like eqmaps for the updates you need to set it at that level, it will roll down from the parent launcher to the application

There is not such theng as setup as administrator in Vista, the UAC prevents this.

the only patch the put out was for a single core affinity, if you are talking about a multi-core version, do a search there are numerous discussions on this, multi-core support is not a patch in upgrade.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Haaens

Loremaster

AHHHH Ok got it. I will do that first thing tonight and test it out. Never thought about trying it from the patcher. Thank you for the help all.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
Despak

Loremaster

nVidia 8400 gs 256 MB ram <--  Well untill you upgrade that you are stuck with minimal gaming ability I'm afraid.  At any resolution abover 1024x768 especially in a game like this you are screwed.
Despak is offline   Reply With Quote