EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > General Beta Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #31
Kander

Developer

The tier 1 raid levels of Resolve have been set well below what you would need to raid minus a few members. We've done more tier 1 raid mobs in this expansion than ever before. Tier 2 there is some wiggle room. Plus there are some new changes to abilities to assist with death and resolve, etc.

Needing specific ascension classes for raids is something at the very end [Last 2 expansion mobs] and if it becomes a problem, it will get changed.

Maybe you should wait and try some of this stuff before blasting away with knee jerk reactions. Have you done any raid testing?
Kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #32
Talduke

I tend to agree with the 1-2 months per ascension class timeline. That gives returning players and new alts a much more reasonable expectation if they do want to get into raiding or other endgame activities. It is still a long time but at least it could be manageable for people who cant for whatever reason log in on a daily basis or have a long vacation coming up. Its not just Ascension classes that are time gated. its also the gear behind maxing 1 and all 4, your epic 2.0 and the abilities that are apparently going to have 2 tiers require another time gate or DBC to pass.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #33
Healsu

First off kander you and the Devs have done a fantastic job this expansion everything looks great and a lot of new content and a lot of "carrots" to chase but I agree with what most people are saying about the limits on leveling the accession classes. MMO are all about playing at your own pace and making bottle necks in leveling ascension classes seems wrong. I hope you have some better ways of earing scrolls or increasing the amount of xp needed per day per ascension class. I understand you don't want people to blow through everything in the first month but form the math iv seen a full year to earn all 4 ascension classes seems wrong.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #34
Kander

Developer

Right. It won't be a year. What it will be hasn't been decided yet.

See prior post.

Numbers are still being tweaked. They can also be tweaked on the fly [Live].

We also have plans for double Ascension XP type events, etc.

We do not intend for anyone to have a level 10 overnight. Let alone 4 of them overnight.

That said. Nothing is set in stone.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #35
Healsu

Thanks !
Old 11-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #36
Yahku

Sure, but with such a limiting concept, as a new player i won't be interested in starting a game which hardlimits me for months no matter how much time i spend and how much help from friends i get!
As someone considering creating a new character and maybe even taking it as the new main character, hardlimited months to catch up will probably surpress this idea in the beginning. Stick with the other char which maybe does not bring the fun anymore? Quit the game? Again i have to emphasize, i am not talking about me, i fear about major problems with new members/setup changes for all raidforces.

Sure, a new character should not beat the long played, fit mainchar in no time. But with plenty of efforts and support from a huge amount of assisting players, it should be able to catch up in a reasonable timespan. Equipping a new character with a raidforce already having most characters equipped is also not an overnight action, but can be done very fast though.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:01 AM   #37
Ellimist

This late in beta I kind of expected you would have it set in stone for testing. Changing this sort of thing in live is a classic knee jerk reaction. The players commenting here are trying to be constructive in feedback and get it right before it goes live so there doesn't have to be changes on live. Personally I like this ascension class idea but... get it balanced right before it goes live not after.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:40 AM   #38
Diveris

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining; the expansion is very well done. But the xp requirements and gating on gaining xp as it stands leaves me feeling a bit bummed about the expansion overall. It's seems like this expansion will be punishing for those who play for extended periods at a time. Everything has a lockout now, even exp.

Isn't gaining the xp itself the gate to leveling? I mean if the levels were 20 mil+ xp each I wouldn't complain. But gating the ability to earn experience just seems like a low blow. It feels like a tactic to force people to log in. Log in and play for the ability to earn exp? Earning exp should not be a reward. The reward comes after you finish earning it.

This along with a few other things this expansion feel like they belong in Aion, rather than eq2.

This process should be more eq2 like, finish quest line, unlock ascension class masters, level up classes. The way it stands now it will be messy for alts, and anyone who decides to return mid expansion. I don't know of anyone who enjoys logging in just to grind a daily (log in get scroll, hit SS, swap to alt repeat.).

I told my wife and sons about the system and they no longer want the expansion.

From a business standpoint, won't this limit the sale of xp potions and vials?
Diveris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #39
ZUES

Interesting.

Kander I think you misunderstood my reply as a complaint. It was not, it was concern. Not for myself or my guild, but for small guilds fighting recruitment and retention tooth & nail. It effects them. They can't fill a roster as it is.

Guild recruitment in EQ2 tends to flow toward guilds with past achievements. That's also true in each current expansion when someone is shopping for a guild. Players turn to http://progress.eq-raiders.com/ and check guild progress before submitting an application. While this may be great for larger guilds with an excellent history of clearing expansions, it does not boast well for guilds with little to no raid history.

My reply is for them. They are facing an inevitable and disastrous future. Players will show up, on time, be prepared and have their pride and ambition snuffed out while they get their butts handed to them. All because the guild simply cannot fill the last 5-7 slots. So not only do they not get the kill, but they have to call it a night because there's little to no content that they can complete with their current strength. To make matters worse, there is no X2 raid zone this expansion. So the existing players disband and leave the guild because they want to raid. Now the guild leader is forced to disband his/her guild and join a guild that can actually recruit enough people to meet the resolve requirement. This is fantastic news for large guilds. But I feel it will have a domino effect on the overall numbers we see on each server.

That's my prediction. I hope I'm wrong.

As to your final question, we are scheduled to raid with Gninja next week. We were among the last on his list.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #40
Kander

Developer

It will be fine. Chin up.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #41
Arieva

Question: Do you earn a Mythical ear for each ascension class when they get to 10 or just the first? If the ear is only awarded on the first fully leveled class it becomes crucial to pick the one you want to have up the majority of the time, first. If the abilities arent finalized by launch this makes this..difficult.
Arieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #42
Mercychalice

This, exactly. WTH is with the long reuse timers on items that are only worth while once a raid? I should be able to use a charm like that every 15 minutes. Not every four hours. The long reuse on that means I won't even bother with said charm, even if the ability on it is uber.
Mercychalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #43
Mercychalice

I see no reason why we have to suddenly start picking up scrolls to level in the first place. Why can't we just gain exp like we normally do via running around exploring things? I would much prefer that to having to remember if I went and got the scroll, and if I turned it on....

It's *yet another (...groans o_O )* temporary buff that I have to pay extra attention to maintain. I foresee many people camping out at the person who's going to be offering the scrolls, which means a cluster of congestion at that point. I am **really** hating this idea of limited exp. I understand wanting to create longevity in the game, but that kinda kills the interest in it for me, and a lot of other people I know.

This will force me to add a second /camp rotation that will take at least another hour outta my playing timeFrown -- one camp rotation to make sure I get my scrolls, and another just to make sure I get the daily. It's becoming very nit picky now, with needing to maintain tithe, deity buffs, trade skilling, my armor levels, my stats, now merc stats, the level of my skills, plus the level of the newly introduced skills, my normal buffs, the daily quests, and now suddenly and added trip just to make sure I even get my exp to begin with? It's starting to become a bit much on things to maintain.

Exp should be one of those things you get regardless, if you're doing the exploration and questing. Mad
Mercychalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #44
Morx

If DBG insist on having these scrolls for leveling up ascension classes I would suggest 3mil xp per scroll instead. Three times faster seems more reasonable.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #45
Kickya

I would prefer to see just 1 x bauble per day from class trainers and have others coming from solo / adv solo quests
Kickya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #46
kluxor

This is the the best suggestion i've seen so far. Not even just for the amount of xp gained, but also to keep players on for more than hour or two
Old 11-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #47
Entropy

Another QoL suggestion: please have the ascension masters give you 7 scrolls at a time, and reset the internal timer for that once weekly.

Logging in alts once per day just to stockpile scrolls for future grinding is going to detract from The Fun. Making it once per week helps a bit with that.