EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > General Beta Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Beee

I just switched off the beta buff and did some solo zones without merc.

Running from one named to the next without killing adds (a lot of them break, so who cares) takes less than 5 minutes for some zones.

eg Xalgozian Stronghold [solo] 2:50 but i'm sure it can be done faster

Traveling from zone to zone needs more time than some zones themself.

Having some hard (advanced) solo zones with better loot would be nice, otherwise the solo instances will get booring very fast Smile
Beee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Skixxxx

i couldnt agree more
Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
captainbeatty451

Problem with this is, fabled Nizara advanced solo and SK are currently the most difficult solo dungeons on live. For my healer, they are easy but take at least a little while to kill certain things. For example the x4 mob that you bring down to normal level after clicking the summon circle. I always have to do the yellow screen add kill on my healer. Switch to my lesser geared but still 6k potency necro or ranger, and everything dies within a few skill casts. I know some people who have trouble in Nizara solo because they are not up to par with gear yet. These people will find the new dungeons somewhat challenging for sure.

Now, think of it from the perspective of someone who is coming into the new content without devastation strike(or whatever 7mil- proc you want to put here) on a paladin or healer class. If my 8k potency healer with 3 proc weapons burns through the dungeons easily but not SUPER fast on the bosses, what is it going to feel like to someone with 4k potency and no procs yet? For them, the progression in those dungeons will feel great, because from what I've seen, weapons with procs drop. So the first few times in there will feel like kind of a grind or a challenge if you will, but after a few runs, they will feel nice progression through the drops.

So, just like when I started this game in AoM, where my healers and tanks took a long time to make it through dungeons that my dps class could fly through, the solo dungeons have to be scaled fairly easy to account for a HUGE range of gear and class abilities. Think back for a moment to how quickly a healer was able to make it through solo zones in ToT prior to procs and then once they got sacrificial staff (most peoples' first big proc weapon). It was a HUGE difference for me. Went from kinda sorta fun to actually really fun. And then once higher potency and devastation strike were thrown into the mix, I actually love soloing on my templar.

So, I agree that they felt pretty easy on my heroic and ethereal geared templar with 3 proc weapons. But so does every other advanced solo dungeon, including the most current/hardest ones. And on my dps classes who are less geared with no ethereal items and at least 2k less potency, the current hardest dungeons are even easier. But you have to keep in mind that true solo players will not have the kind of gear that a heroic player will have, and the dungeons can't lock out people from playing the most basic aspect of the game.

Let's also compare heroic nizara for a moment, while I brought up the subject of content blocking players. There is no reason that a person in the best advanced solo gear available can't do a heroic dungeon. Isn't advanced solo supposed to be the gateway to heroic? Well, definitely not when we're talking about heroic Nizara. People I talk to want a mix of heroic and raid gear to feel comfortable in Nizara, and I honestly feel that is ridiculous and puts a fairly firm barrier up to those who want to play all current content available to them minus raids. Why is it that people who find tepid depths laughably easy in a group of 2 well-geared, skilled players are destroyed in heroic Nizara in a group of 3 well geared skillful players? So, I would hate to see this become the case for solo content. "ooops, sorry. You don't have some heroic gear? well, you can't do the solo dungeon. have fun playing another game."

I do agree it could be scaled slightly harder for the bosses that don't have a script that slows the fight down, like the matching color guy. Trash feels appropriate.

Yikes, nothing for me is easy to answer in 2 sentences about this game. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Bardonio

people complain when the content is too difficult, things get a nerf. people complain when the content is too simple, things stay the same. unless the winds of change bless Norrath when KA goes live, deal with the game as it was meant to be played, YOUR WAY. Adding an advanced solo challenge mode would be an easy fix for those solo people in an MMORPG. But then again, this is only my opinion and doesn't add up to much.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Nkito

I agree having advanced solo's actually be "advanced" would be wonderful. I've thought this every expansion but it never does happen, or even "challenge" molo if there needs to be a new label (there doesn't).

Regular solo's I would expect to walk through in a couple minutes, having the adv solo's in addition is a great opportunity to make something noticeably more difficult.

It will definitely result in complaints when not everyone can solo it and get the rewards but if everyone can do everything easily it loses all challenge and value. It becomes a daily maintenance chore instead of an engaging experience to build yourself up to overcoming eventually, not on day 1.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
captainbeatty451

I don't feel that it's about being easy for everyone. It's more a question of equity. Which is really tough to balance with how different the classes play at the solo level, on top of the varied gear. I do hope the drops in advanced solo zones in some regard reward your time there no matter your level of gear. For example, the meta advanced solo collection in Nizara is a very nice reward even for people who enjoy higher tiered content.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
captainbeatty451

server update caused double post.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
Tierisch

I agree completely. The thing is that folks, who just do a few solo dungeons and maybe muddle through an advanced solo, don't have anywhere NEAR 4k Potency. Heck, the level 100 bauble gets you gear that sits at 22 resolve and just under 2k potency.

It was easy enough getting geared up some once I started the KA questline, but before that it would have meant grouping for heroics or a lot of grinding (sorry I play to relax not to make myself even more crazy) to BUY better gear.

There were a few exception with items gleaned though both the adventure and tradeskill questline, which provided 7 resolve and 800+ Potency.

Things are a little easier on IoR since you can purchase some pretty nice items from the broker there but that's not possible on other servers.

That said, without at least 4k potency and around 100 resolve, those KA solo/advanced solos would be not nearly as easy as Bee made it seem. I did, however, notice a lack of distinction between solo and advanced solo. They seemed the same to me.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #9
CoLD MeTaL

Are you running the zones in full raid gear?

I assume everything will get a little hp/dmg boost when it hits live.
CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
captainbeatty451

I also realized that when I entered some of the advanced solo dungeons, I got a message saying that I received a beta buff or something along those lines that put me in a place where the dungeon would be more manageable. So this also hints that the dungeons may feel more difficult when it goes live. And that was on my 8k potency character with 3 ethereal pieces.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #11
CSP84

When you consider that your merc will increase in strength and healing/dps output over time in this expansion i would have thought that the zones would be a bit more difficult.
8 Solo and only 4 AS, they should have all been AS Zones in my opinion and some sort of progression in place. So that casual player can start in an easier zone and work their way up.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
Mermut

It would be nice if there was a merc worth using for my healers... I generally have to heal MORE if I run with a tank merc (for whatever reason they seem to require more healing then I do when I 'tank' in solo content), a healer merc is pointless and dps mercs do waaaaaay less dps then my worst geared healer...
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #13
CSP84

Did you try the new Ranger/Channeler Merc ? They did beef him up a lot.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
yondii

I to have been waiting to see harder casual content.
I understand that non-subscribers will miss out on a lot of gear due to the 'prestige' flag making these solo/adv solo dungeons a lot harder, but subscribers are the ones that pay you the money so tuning at least some of them around well geared players should be a must.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #15
Mermut

I haven't tried mercs in the beta, no. What kind of dps does it do?
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
Skixxxx

hm ... i didnt play my warden on live for over a year, and skipped ToT completely
came back for expansion, ran Zek questline and a few nizaras (solo) before i jumped into beta
so i had no gear from ethereal merchant, zero heroic/raid gear

i started beta with 5k pot and 66 resolve (selfbuffed P)

and it took me just a few days to finish beta quests and siq line (no tradeskill) and run a few KA solo dungeons to completely own any solo content with the armour i looted from quests and nameds ... without ascension buff im siiting on 7,6k pot and 146 resolve

so if would just solo (and "advanced" solo): the expansions would be done for me after 2 weeks, because there is no more challenge left

and i am into a REALLY casual playstyle
Old 10-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #17
Nkito

I know resolve has not been embraced by everyone and I've probably already suggested it's use for too many of these similar scenarios but at zone in why not have:

Solo (100 resolve)
Adv solo (150 resolve)
Challenge (200 resolve)

I pulled the (target resolve numbers) out of thin air but basically all 3 zones are identical except for resolve values of the mobs, and resolve value on the loot that drops. (maybe a neat proc or two from Challenge)

Challenge resolve would intentionally be kept higher than is possible to achieve with heroic and early raid drops. imo simple but worthwhile.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #18
CSP84

Interestingly there are doubly daily and weekly missions for Solo Content.1 for AS Zones and 1 for Solo Zones.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #19
CSP84

Interestingly there are double daily/weekly missions for Solo content. 1 for As Zones and 1 for Solo Zones.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:31 PM   #20
Buggabug

I can only speak for myself, but I like the zones they way they are currently. I'm not spending so much time in them that I want a vacation. They don't seem any easier than the adv solo ToT ones except less scripts. I've finished the sig line and been adding gear as I went, still only hit 153 resolve. It's very rare for me to run anything heroic and I don't expect to get heroic/raid type rewards for the content I do, but with the current experience there's some serious consideration going on about doing some heroic zones just to test the water.
Buggabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:16 PM   #21
CoLD MeTaL

That is 147 + 5 to 15, no where NEAR 200.
CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #22
Conifur

I agree with them being too easy. I should have to cast more then 3 spells to kill the name but that is about all I need. I just pull everything I can then AoE them down, they are not at all challenging. I use ToT as my baseline. Those AS were a challenge when it first came out; now I just roll through them but they were a challenge at the start. None of these fit that mold currently. I think a bit more tweaking on the upside would not hurt.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:28 AM   #23
Ratsle

Well the beta buff they have on you in your maintained window might be helping a little. But yea the solo's are a bit easy, but on the flipside the heroics are just brutal. Instead of doing a 30 min. group instance, it feels like a three hour raid.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 AM   #24
Ellimist

I kept disabling the beta buff and it got easier. I am almost purely a solo player these days. Most of my gear comes from shiny's and adv solo zones or from duo's in some content (Fabled varsoon for the robe). I do heroic zones occasionally with my guild. I also got the gear from the merchant for tokens.

I was thinking last night that the solo and adv solos are too easy. I do appreciate having the extra solo zones though. This is nice and the artwork is amazing. I hate zones that have slow scripts that artificially slow fights. I don't mind having scripts in general though to make it harder. (I.E. Scripts that allow you to keep pew pewing while you deal with the script) The only reason I've found to use gear from these zones though is to get resolve up. Nothing I found I would replace my current gear with at the moment because I've hit alot of caps. The next cap I'm going to try for in this expansion is CB.

If you are curious to what a solo player can do have a look at my character on EQ2u. Its not hard to get good gear. No ethereals either because I was slack about getting in groups during the event being solo and all.

I've hit 7K pot, 100 reuse, 100DC, 100rec and just under 2kCB and crit chance.

Really how do you up the level of gear in the game at the moment? The only way and what I think is happening looking at the beta is that they are introducing gear that has alot of resolve that is then required to do the heroics and raids but goes backwards with the other stats.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:43 AM   #25
Wurm

I really like the solo / advance zones I've been in. And while I personally think they could be a bit harder, I know for a fact that some classes and players will have a lot harder time with them as a ToT Heroic geared Paladin. I think they should be left as they are, the people looking for a challenge should get more than enough in the new Heroic zones.

My opinion of the the whole coming expac has been very positive so far, I like the zone artwork and the quest lines (both Adventurer and Tradeskiller) have been interesting so far.

And after restarting beta to see the changes made so far, I see a lot of positive progress being made in everything that has been fixed and or tweaked so far.
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #26
Nkito

Too late to edit, but if the above tiers would turn things into another "raid vs solo player" debate it could instead be applied as a dynamic resolve that scales.

Solo matches your resolve, Adv Solo raises everything X resolve higher than you and so on. The difficulty would be similar for players regardless of differences in gear.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #27
Moss

Well I just pick the new mercenary, level it 10 with the bubble and equip all the mercenary equipment I've looted doing the solo. I've just done a solo instance without casting a single spell. The mercenary was at 30-80M dps, killing all the trash and named in a few seconds.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #28
Beee

It's very easy to reach 200 resolve solo in this Beta (or Expansion) almost every item has 7 resolve... 21 Items x 7 resolve + own class buff
Old 10-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #29
Beee

Damn, cant calculate a few minutes before going to bed Wink
21x7 + ClassBuff + Mount = something around 160 which is a very easy reachable resolve value in this expansion for soloplayers
Old 10-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #30
CSP84

Something else to put into consideration is the Ascension Class. Even if some player level them slower than others, they will eventually be level 10 with new abilities increasing the dps.