EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > General Beta Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
Maudit

Hello, I've been trying to log on the beta however when I select play, the game starts with music but screen stays black, no splash or anything. On my last try, this time full screen, it looked like I was on character select screen, cursor changed into a hand, as if I could rotate my character. Eventually, the sound/music got all strange... almost as if I was tuning in between radio stations on AM/FM.. Very weird... All this still on a completely black screen.

I'm not sure if I am missing something or if I did/doing something wrong..

Pre-order is done.
/Beta done on regular server.
Beta selected and installed.
Checked files for updates.

Tried logging on with that character selected and without, in order to go to character select. Both yielded the same result. Is there any cache I could clear? or something else I need to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mau.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
Cheesenabber

This was in the patch notes for live, don't knw if applies to beta or not :

"APPEARANCE CACHE
When the game client is started it reads various appearance related files into memory (from the app_cache files) into an appearance cache. To improve the visual quality of the game we need to add more art assets, which increases our memory footprint. This can cause issues for various users depending on their hardware setup and if they are running multiple programs, etc..

Players will now be able to use the client cvar “cl_use_app_cache 0” to turn off this appearance cache. This means all appearance assets normally read into memory will now be read directly from the hard drive as needed.

Enabling this setting will sacrifice performance for a smaller memory footprint and allow many players currently crashing (due to hitting memory limits) to enter into areas they could not before. In some cases these memory limits were even preventing login.

Usage:
1. Create “eq2.ini” file in root install directory, if you don’t already have one there.
2. Add this line to the ini file and save it, “cl_use_app_cache 0"

Just back up your eq2.ini files somewhere before changing anything
Old 10-12-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
Maudit

UPDATE

It appears sounds as if I am on, as I am hearing the music from the zone in which my character was when I did /beta, heard that I had mail even. Yet, the screen is still completely black...

I tried adding the cl_use_app_cache 0, thanks for that Cheesenabber btw..
Tried changing the resolution..
Setting lowest settings possible.
Changing sound to Dolby instead of the other one. As per another thread with similar issues.
Cleared the cache and various INI files as suggested in trouble shooting posts.

I am at a lost.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:49 AM   #4
Jamiss

Developer

Just double checking here real quick, did you try Validating Game Assets on the launcher?
Jamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #5
Errrorr

Try installing directx9 again, seen this with various guildies over the years and usually fixes this.
Errrorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
Maudit

I did and did it again to be sure.. Still blind (black screen) Frown Will try installing Dirextx9 as per Errrorr
Old 10-12-2016, 01:29 AM   #7
Hokus

If it makes you feel any better Maudit, I'm having exact same issue. Hope we find a resolution.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:34 AM   #8
Maudit

Thank you Errrorr, that did the trick!

In case it happens to anyone else: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35
Old 10-12-2016, 01:38 AM   #9
Maudit

Seems like Errrorr did Wink
Old 10-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #10
Anaranj

Thank you very much, Errrorr, Maudit, it also solved for me
Anaranj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:26 AM   #11
Chellema

I had this too. It was odd because it was only in the beta version. When I logged back over to live everything was fine. I eventually hit the default settings to reset graphics card and that fixed it for me.

N.B As an aside. I play on an imac so I don't usually post these bugs because they are outside the normal operating requirements for running the game.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
Dragoneyes Lionhair

I tried to reinstall directx 9 - it gives an error message and fails - I get sound, a black screen and the almost irresistable urge to tear my hair out. I want to play the beta, I want the rewards from it, but right now it's looking like no beta for me. I have validated assets no less than 3 times. The other stuff I saw mentioned I have zero idea how to do - so unless someone feels like helping the challenged, I guess I'm done.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #13
Grumpy_Warrior

Using Notepad, open a file called eq2_recent.ini in your main EverQuest II folder (or the main BetaServer folder if you are having the issue on Beta.) Look for this line:

r_shadow_type_option true

Delete the line if it exists, save the file and try logging in. I reliably get the black screen when the line is in the file (GPU shadow maps turned on), and reliably log in without problems when this line is not in the file.