EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #61
Zemulus

Loremaster

Video game playing may fulfill innate human need
By Anne Harding

Thu Jan 18, 12:52 PM ET

Playing video games can satisfy deep psychological needs and, at least in the short term, improve people's well-being, new research shows.

The more a game fulfilled a player's sense of independence, achievement and connectedness to others, the more likely he or she was to keep playing, Dr. Scott Rigby of Immersyve, a Florida-based virtual environment think tank, and colleagues from the University of Rochester in New York found. And the more fully a player's needs were satisfied, the better he felt after playing.

"We think this is really one of the first validated models of what is going on psychologically when people are playing video games," Rigby told Reuters Health in an interview. To date, he noted, research on video games has focused on their potentially harmful effects, such as promoting social isolation, addiction, and violence.

While the findings don't prove that "video games are always good for you," Rigby noted, they do help to provide a more balanced understanding of people's motivations for playing them. "We're trying to in some sense normalize how people look at video games, rather than seeing them as having some mystical power to addict."

In four studies reported in the journal Motivation and Emotion, Rigby and his colleagues sought to understand people's motivation for playing the games and the games' immediate effect on well-being.

In the first study, they had 89 people play a simple game involving jumping to different platforms. In the second phase, the researchers compared the experience of 50 people who played two 3-D adventure games, one very popular and one less so. In the third study, 58 people tried four different games, while in the fourth the researchers surveyed 730 members of an online gaming community who were experienced in playing "massively multiplayer online" games.

Players' enjoyment of games depended on whether the games made them feel competent and independent, and, in the case of multiplayer games, connected to other players. Players who enjoyed their experience showed increases in well-being, self-esteem, and vitality after playing, while those whose needs weren't satisfied reported lowered vitality and mood.

"Video games we think have tremendous potential to impact people, particularly today's video games which are incredibly rich and complex," Rigby said. "This creates very fertile ground psychologically."

Mastering challenges in video games can be a healthy way of coping when opportunities for feeling independent or competent are scarce in the real world, he argued.

"Video games in some ways are very good at satisfying these psychological needs," Rigby noted. "Often times real life is not as clear...real life often can make you feel ineffective."

SOURCE: Motivation and Emotion, December 2006

My own thoughts:
My wife, who HATES EQ with a passion sent this to me today. Our relationship is as solid as a rock. So much so that she even bought me EoF because she knows how much I enjoy Norrath. I found it curious then why she would do such a thing but in light of sending me this link ... could it be that she is finally beginning to understand what drives me to play.

I've been playing EQ since 2004 first in EQ1 and then EQ2. Leadership qualities that were undeveloped suddenly came rushing to the surface of consciousness when I took on more and more responsibilities - recruiter, officer and finally guild leader. Curiously enough, my professional life has followed the same track. When I discovered EQ I was working in a job I hated and wanted to get out of BADLY ... but had no plan to make a solid transition and finally ended up being unceremoniously "removed." But even as it was happening, my entire being breathed a deep sigh of relief.

I spent the next five and a half months on unemployment ... immersing myself in my role as a leader in EQ2. Two weeks before unemployment was scheduled to end ... I was directed to a small health and wellness company where I became a customer service representative. Now ... I'm VERY into health and wellness so was able to throw my whole self into the simplest of tasks ... but when more responsibilities came it felt like my leadership training in EQ2 prepared me to handle challenges and see opportunities ... not for myself ... but for the whole company.

In the last 18 months with this company ... I've had 3 raises & 2 promotions ... the last one being the most significant ... bringing to me to an income level I've never known. I'm being hailed as a key player in the company's future growth, being told that I have the respect & admiration of almost everyone. This is the same feeling I get from members of my own guild - not all but most. It is evident to me that all of the training, problem solving & and organization that I may have had within me ... was either awakened or further enhanced by the challenges that came to me as a quester, recruiter, officer & guild leader of a family style guild with strong raiding aspirations.

I submit this link and my testimonial so that you who read this can have a strong case against those who would choose to see you doing other things - to stop wasting your time and be more productive. EQ, when used correctly, can be a perfect training ground in how to deal with real life relationships and challenges. There is no difference between this virtual world and a flight simulator in its teaching capability. I and probably many others ... are living proof of that fact.

Yours Respectfully,
on the Befallen server

To have wisdom is to have WISe DOMinion over your world.
Zemulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #62
EliteHero

Loremaster

haha lol ty SMILEY
EliteHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 AM   #63
Magic

General

Nobody I know is playing this game.  I play it as an escape from the real world.  I don't have any disabilities or other valid reasons for playing games other than for my own personal enjoyment.  If anything, I let the game get in the way of real life because I'll often skip chores.  Then the house gets rather messy and the laundry pile can become a small mountain.  I just hope that it doesn't erupt before I can get to it!  SMILEY

My first  MMORPG was EQ1.  I switched to EQ2 the moment that it came out in my local the store (which was a day before the official launch so I was almost alone on the server).  EQ2 is much more to my liking.  Right now my new joy is the Fae race and always choose glide at level 10.  I enjoy running around every zone, regardless of its level relative to mine, to either uncover the map or to harvest raws.  I'm an explorer at heart and this game gives me many places to explore.

I play solo for several reasons but one of them is for the freedom to go anywhere anytime.  I'll spend a day doing the same thing over and over again, like killing the same mob types, harvesting raws, crafting, and what not.   That's usually boring to others.  I'm glad that this game supports solo play.

So that's my story in a nutshell.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #64
nimrodblack_EQ2

Seer

I went to College in New England
Entered the United States Marine Corps and served in California, Florida, and Okinawa Japan.
Took work in Washington DC area for about 3 years and then moved back to New England.

Just about everyone outside of family that I am close friends with is well outside of driving distance.  We keep contact via phone and email but neither of those things is quite like spending time with someone.  MMO's combined with a VoIP system...allow me to spend time with great friends while doing something together.

My best friend lives in California and I might only get to physcially see him once a year.  But we spend 3 hours a night talking and working on our characters.  Over the past year my wife knows my friend as good as I do.  Its like he is a neighbor.  

I don't lose a good friend because of geography.  Thats Priceless!

nimrodblack_EQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #65
Wubi

Loremaster

I mainly play EQ2 to help pay for things in real life.  From bills to iTunes to other online game subscriptions.  I keep coming back to EQ2 because its the only place that offers anything like the Station Exchange that I know of.  I'd love to see this aspect of gaming grow... with games that focused on a diverse economy, not just gameplay.

EQ2 also helps to keep me from thinking too much.  Its a good distraction.  Not all games provide this... some require lots of thought to succeed, such as all the math and skill dependencies involved in EVE.

I also play EQ2 because it has a very scalable graphics system.  I love to play on the lowest possible settings in all my games.  I am a fps junkie.  I also like to box/hydra where you play more than one character at a time, and games with high graphical and memory requirements do not lend well to that type of gameplay.  Some games cannot even be run twice on the same computer, tried that with Ryzom.

I'm also shy to an extreme and the longer I play, the more comfortable I get with talking to other people.

I keep playing online games because that is where the majority of my friends are from.  Maybe 10 gamer friends for every 1 real life friend.  Close friends too, people that share very personal experiences with me, and me them.  Anonimity helps here.

I play games because its safer than going out in the real world.  No cars to run over me, no people to mug me...

I play games because they are cheap interactive entertainment.  15 a month beats TV even.

I play games because I like to roleplay a gnome paladin at times.  Canyoubelieveiamtakingthetimeawayfromtinkeringtopo st?!
Wubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #66
Irr

General

Zemfira wrote:
I guess for me, now, I play to make EQ2 videos! I don't raid, group, tradeskill or quest anymore... I pay $15  a month for my hobby of making EQ2 music videos =) 
This game is so beautiful, great emotes and best of all, facial expressions.

lol I'm a nerd and i love it =) =)

I'm virtually the same way now.  I used to play because my girlfriend (now wife) played. 

She lived near Vancouver, and I live in Ohio.  We noticed each other in EQlive.  There was a spark.  That spark didn't ignite until EQ2.  I coerced her into playing EQ2 with me via e-mail.  Eventually she did, and there we picked up our online "love".   Today we are married, and have successfully applied for her Visa.  She moved to Ohio, and we're living happily ever after. 

While I still play EQ2, it's more of a creative outlet for me.  During our 5 years of playing, my friends and I have created huge back stories for our characters.  Their interactions, trials, and epic stories have made their way onto paper, and now into my machinima movies.  Right now I'm working on possibly the longest EQ2 Machinima ever made!  All this simply because I have an idea, and I just have to see it come to life. 

It's still great fun when we can get everyone on to play at once, but more often than not our jobs or bills get in the way of the fun time.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #67
TeljairZerker

Apprentice

I like to kill raid mobs.
TeljairZerker is offline   Reply With Quote