EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #31
GPA_Coyote

ChernobylKitten

I was born without any arms, legs, or even a head. While I do have facial features, they sprout from the human torso that is me, leaving me effectively paralized - a chest with face in it.

Through plucky determination and an infalliable spirit I overcame. I learned to move by rolling myself, potato like, to any destination I wanted to travel. I was a free spirit, and the restraints of my own limitations were never going to hold me down.

One day while wearing my favorite white and black checked torso wrapping, I was enjoying a leisurely roll through the part when I stopped to lay on my back and stare at the summer sky.

Little did I know that I had stopped in the middle of a soccer field during practice. Oblivious to the world around me as I picked out a Torso-Princess in the white clouds that graced the sky above, the sounds of the soccer game melted into the back ground...

...until I was kicked.

I never saw my assailant as I was mistaken for the ball, and as I was sent flying the world spun around me. Luckily in my travels I had spent sometime training with a gymnist, and instinct took over.

I tucked and rolled, landing with a heavily bounce as I continued down the street, bouncing off car hoods and mailboxes before finally coming to rest in front of the local electronics store.

Dazed, hurt, and scared I looked up to get my bearings - and that's when my life changed.

The software store window had a poster for EverQuest II displayed in the window, and the artwork - and promise of adventure and fun - drew me in, and I immediately rolled inside to purchase a copy.

I never regretted it.

Sure, I have to play with a pencil in my mouth, used for depressing keys, but in a world where I am a limited person, a human torso...

...I can be a gallant knight or a fiercesome warrior...

And that people..is how I got into gaming.

GPA_Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #32
Wytie

Mouse Betrayer!

GPA_Coyote wrote:

I was born without any arms, legs, or even a head. While I do have facial features, they sprout from the human torso that is me, leaving me effectively paralized - a chest with face in it.

Through plucky determination and an infalliable spirit I overcame. I learned to move by rolling myself, potato like, to any destination I wanted to travel. I was a free spirit, and the restraints of my own limitations were never going to hold me down.

One day while wearing my favorite white and black checked torso wrapping, I was enjoying a leisurely roll through the part when I stopped to lay on my back and stare at the summer sky.

Little did I know that I had stopped in the middle of a soccer field during practice. Oblivious to the world around me as I picked out a Torso-Princess in the white clouds that graced the sky above, the sounds of the soccer game melted into the back ground...

...until I was kicked.

I never saw my assailant as I was mistaken for the ball, and as I was sent flying the world spun around me. Luckily in my travels I had spent sometime training with a gymnist, and instinct took over.

I tucked and rolled, landing with a heavily bounce as I continued down the street, bouncing off car hoods and mailboxes before finally coming to rest in front of the local electronics store.

Dazed, hurt, and scared I looked up to get my bearings - and that's when my life changed.

The software store window had a poster for EverQuest II displayed in the window, and the artwork - and promise of adventure and fun - drew me in, and I immediately rolled inside to purchase a copy.

I never regretted it.

Sure, I have to play with a pencil in my mouth, used for depressing keys, but in a world where I am a limited person, a human torso...

...I can be a gallant knight or a fiercesome warrior...

And that people..is how I got into gaming.

Thats the funniest thing i heard all day SMILEY
Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #33
GPA_Coyote

ChernobylKitten

Wytie wrote:

I'm glad my pain amuses you. I've learned to over come...

You see,

In 1972 I was part of a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime we didn't commit. We promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, we survive as a group of Gnome Berserkers in EverQuest 2. If you have a problem with a quest, if no one else can help with a quest, and if I'm actually ON, maybe you can hire - The Coyote.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #34
Bratface

Loremaster

It started out innocently enough, I want to play a trick on my son's......My son's lived about 400 miles away from us, and the phone bills were getting really high since we liked to chat with each othere every day, so I traveled to them and built them a nice PC for emails and stuff......This went well for a while, btu then they stopped replying to my emails =(When I called them they would tell me that they were playing EQ (?) and that they hadn't had time to check their emails etc.....So then, as coincidence has it, I recieved an email offering me a week of this game called EverQuest from my SOE online thing I had from my Zelda days or something, I still don't remember why I was a member of the site....So I planned on making a toon and sneaking up on my sons' while they were playing and nagging them to read their mothers' emails!!!I thought it would be simple and fun, oh boy was I ever wrong about the simple part...First thing was picking a server!! I was already out of my element here, what in the world is a server? So I picked the one on the top of the list, thinking is was just a doorway type thing that would lead me to the same place as my sons somehow (noob I was)Bristlebane it was!! Then a character, oh my this is harder than I thought it would be... What's a Necromancer????So I threw a dart and made a character, don't remember what it was but it had my favorite name, then I "logged in" hoping to find my children and give them a scolding..../awestruck is all I can say about that experience....I landed in this tree place and proceeded to walk right off the edge and die... All new concepts for me..... I hunted for the reset button/option but couldn't find one, I was confused and unable to figure out how to get out of this tree city up in the air.... I would die and start over in the same place, over and over again.....But boy it was fun!!!I had to ruin my surprise and call my sons for help, they about fell out of their chairs laughing at my mishaps....In an event nothing short of miraculous I had landed on the same server as they were on, they promptly came to Kelethin to help me, all the while telling me how amazed they were to have me show up in game, to which I always replied "well if you would answer your email I wouldn't have to go to such lengths!".After they found me and took me out of the deadly city of Kelethin I began to enjoy the game, whacking at snakes (laughing at them *kicking* me), soon I had gained a level woo hoo!!Thats when I learned the word DING!I have learned much since then, my sons now play WoW, but I am here with my dearest friend I met back on BB in EQ1, we both 2box and have much fun adventuring, Although we came here because of the tradeskills and those are ruined now, we still stay with EQ2 because we have built something here, this is where we can span the miles between us and have fun together despite the geography between us.Well, that and the implied targetting I can't seem to find in any other game, great for 2boxers like us =)My entire family plays online games now, my daughter is a GM in another game and my sons play WoW and work in the gaming industry.Last but not least I believe this endeavor keeps my mind sharp and agile, which is important at my age =)That's my story, all because my sons didn't read their email...
Bratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #35
Marcula

Loremaster

I for one am so glad that Coyote had the opportunity to learn from Annie Sullivan. It brought tears to my eyes knowing that Annie was still alive and well, bringing joy to the eyes and ears of the Coyote. I would hesitate to guess that Annie had a majorly perfect [Removed for Content] job if her gazongas are lucious melons of delight........after all she is 141 years old this year. :smileytongue:

Marcula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #36
Kyriel

Loremaster

I guess for me, now, I play to make EQ2 videos! I don't raid, group, tradeskill or quest anymore... I pay $15  a month for my hobby of making EQ2 music videos =) 
This game is so beautiful, great emotes and best of all, facial expressions.

lol I'm a nerd and i love it =) =)
Old 01-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #37
Wytie

Mouse Betrayer!

GPA_Coyote wrote:

Wytie wrote:

I'm glad my pain amuses you. I've learned to over come...

You see,

In 1972 I was part of a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime we didn't commit. We promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, we survive as a group of Gnome Berserkers in EverQuest 2. If you have a problem with a quest, if no one else can help with a quest, and if I'm actually ON, maybe you can hire - The Coyote.

Well i bet i know one thing that would be funnier than your post....

Watching you try to play, that would be worth the hire fee SMILEY

Old 01-13-2007, 12:35 AM   #38
CireNamyn

Loremaster

There are actually two parts to my story. The reason I started playing and the reason I continue to play.I originally started playing Everquest 1 back in 2000 while I was in the Marines and stationed at CampPendleton. Anyone who has ever lived in the barracks on a Marine base will know that pretty much the only thing that happens off duty is lots and lots of drinking. Now, don't get me wrong. At first it's a boat load of fun. Hanging out with your buddies after work, talking about all the things that bored Marines will talk about, and drinking massive amounts of alcohol is a blast. After a month or two of that day in and day out it wore thin on me. At the time I was really into RPGs and RTSs and was looking to upgrade my system (I was just getting into doing my own work on my computers at the time). I went to the resident computer guy of the barracks (they all have one) and at the time he was playing this really cool looking game called EQ.It started out innocently enough. He would let me take over for his toon for a couple mins while he chatted on the phone or if he had to run to the store. Within a week of my first taste of EQ I went out and bought a copy and started what would be the beginning of many great times adventuring in Norrath. As soon as EQ2 came out I had to try it and I haven't look back once.I continue to play because of the person that EQ2 allows me to be in game. Even though I was in the military in RL I am a very quiet and reserved person. I'm that guy at the party that sits off to the side of the room drinking the beer that no one has heard of and watching the room. I really don't speak to many people and I have problems talking to people the first time I meet them. Shy to the point of painful I guess you could say. In game, however, I have always played a Guardian and am almost always the leader of whatever group I am in. I was a Guild leader on the Everfrost server until a recent merge to attempt to take on some Epic content and am the go-to guy for information about the game to all of my online friends. It seems like in game is the only place that people will shut up for a second and actually listen to what I am saying.It is a feeling that I just can't get in RL and I thank all of the people at SOE for providing a place that I can be a leader instead of just another guy.Shameless plug --- I would like to take this moment to announce that after starting my Guard main one week after the release of EQ2 that last night at approximately 11:00pm pacific time I hit level 70!! My first maxed out toon ever! Yay me!

Old 01-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #39
Aroumon

Loremaster

Here is why I play:

My heart punds as a lvl 75 dragon named Woushi aproaches for his final "lap" I take a deep breath as he trudges towards me. With each suprise and each tick of the mighty dragon's life my heart rate jumps up and down, every percent under 50 my heart beats twice as fast as it did before. Once you actully get "into the grove" you are one with your toon and one with the world of EverQuest. Every arrow that comes forth through my bow and into the scales of a mighty dragon feels better than the last. Just when I can't take the excitment anymore the dragon falls over dead and the fast pace heart beat turns into join and the biggest high that you can ever seem to get from a video game, for I am a ranger of Second Dawn, Slayers of the great dragon Woushi.

Nothing in this game feels better than taking down something that nobody else has before...nothing.

Aroumon Swiftshot
70 Ranger
Second Dawn

Message Edited by Aroumon on 01-12-2007 01:27 PM

Aroumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:15 AM   #40
kayfes

Loremaster

I play online games to avoid being harrased by the media.

DOH!
kayfes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:26 AM   #41
Lorenell

Loremaster

I have social anxiety disorder. I started off playing only with my husband and a few friends of his.
Joining a guild and working within the social structure of the game actually helped me feel more at ease with people in the real world.

In Everquest... if I feel uncomfortable about ANYTHING I can just turn it off and walk away. Eventually I learned that I didnt want to give up my play time just because someone made me uncomfortable. (sometimes they only had to talk to me to make me uncomfortable!)

Playing and learning how to deal with the uncomfortable situations that come up socially in EQ has taught me how to deal better with social situations in the real world. I have less panic attacks and enjoy social functions more. I still avoid going out if I can help it... but if I have to interact with other people I dont freeze up anymore.

Lorenell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:29 AM   #42
Wytie

Mouse Betrayer!

Lorenell wrote:

I have social anxiety disorder. I started off playing only with my husband and a few friends of his.
Joining a guild and working within the social structure of the game actually helped me feel more at ease with people in the real world.

In Everquest... if I feel uncomfortable about ANYTHING I can just turn it off and walk away. Eventually I learned that I didnt want to give up my play time just because someone made me uncomfortable. (sometimes they only had to talk to me to make me uncomfortable!)

Playing and learning how to deal with the uncomfortable situations that come up socially in EQ has taught me how to deal better with social situations in the real world. I have less panic attacks and enjoy social functions more. I still avoid going out if I can help it... but if I have to interact with other people I dont freeze up anymore.

I panic when i go LD SMILEY
Old 01-13-2007, 03:44 AM   #43
Lorenell

Loremaster

I used to... now I just get GGRRRR
Lorenell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:29 AM   #44
Dracor

General

Lorenell wrote:

Good for you!! Seriously (I mean no sarcasm).I like hearing people using MMOs to beat social phobias and that sort of thing. =)
Old 01-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #45
Isisalthea

Loremaster

What wonderful stories everyone has.  Mine is pretty simple.  I am a 60 year old woman who has always liked computer games but was afraid of the online world.  My son started playing and thought I might enjoy it.  At first I was sceptical, so I tried Guild wars, cause it was basically free and I could it check out s with out much expense.  Never did get the hang of chat there, but enjoyed the adventure, eventually got tired of being on my own though and decicded to join my son in EQ2.  I  started playing last Christmas and I am totally addicted.  Here I have found a whole group of wonderful friends and an enviroment that encourages me to interact with others in a very real way.  I love questing and want to do as many quests as I can.  My quest book is always full.

I started with a wizard, and oh the quests and sights and sounds of everything was amazing. There is so much to do and so little time,  did a lot of solo stuff with a few groups and gradually got the hang of it.  Joined a guild, left the guild wasn't the right fit, then found a whole group of people who I really enjoyed grouping and chatting with and there was no going back.   I have maxed out my account with 6 toons and am seriuosly thinking of starting another account soon.  I love all of my toons and don't think I could delete any of them.  I am amazed  at how different each one is, they take on their own personalities and allow me to act out parts of myself I have never explored before.  I love decorating my rooms, doing a little crafting and lots of adventuring.  I love interacting with my wonderful guild, we are a very chatty bunch, lol.  I  spend as much time in game as I do at work.  It is the first thing I do in the evening instead of the boobtube.  And if I don't run my errands first on weekends i have been known to spend all day and night playing cause there is always something more to do.  I must remind myself to get up and move around everyonce in a while.    But above all else is the social interaction and friends I have made since starting this wonderful life.   I love this game, I dream about it and read about it and spend time on the forums learning even more.  Thank the Gods for EQ2

Isisalthea Wizard, Enigma co-founder,  The Bazarre

Old 01-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #46
Quildi

This is my post from the old “Why do you play?” thread. It was a response to my wife’s post. (ZILREED) I am re-posting it as requested. I am making some additional comments as well. I will make the most important comment right now before I even go on.

***   IT is Dangerous to meet someone you know from the internet in real life. You should never agree to meet someone in person unless it is in public. You should ALWAYS be sure that several other people know where you are going, when you are going, and with whom you will be. This is true for both men and women. It does not matter how long you have known someone online, or how much you think you can trust them. If you are a minor, DO NOT meet someone without the approval and supervision of a parent or guardian. Be very cautious about giving out personal information or your home address to anyone over the Internet.  ***

With that said, here is my original post:

... I think that both my wife Zilreed and I find something that transcends beyond gaming in Everquest II. First through text MUDing, and now through MMORPGing in a world that bombards us with visual and audio details, we are able to explore IDEAS. We can try out wildly differing lives, philosophies, and have relationships not possible (or perhaps unadvisable) in real life. The consequences of our actions in game are virtual. Our characters feel no real pain, either emotional or physical. There are no real legal, social, or financial repercussions to the decisions that we make. We could always just walk away and never come back. Since that is not something either of us wants to have to do, we have to learn fit into some very alien social structures with wildly different morals and customs.

Through our characters, we have been able to date, fall in love, argue, argue some more, laugh, and cry over and over again in different ways. We have grown together both emotionally and spiritually. All too often, the impact of what happens in Norrath affects our real life feelings. Sometimes I desperately need a big dose of reality to escape from fantasy.

I haven’t learned anything about courage from Everquest II.* But I have learned a great deal about leadership, patience, and sensitivity to other’s feelings and emotions. The issue of sensitivity is particularly important to me. Not everyone understands the impact that his or her choice of words can have on a stranger sitting behind a computer 3000 miles away. These practical skills apply to every day life.

Let us get thousands of people from all over the world together, and tell them to be someone else for a while. We don’t care how old they are, or about their sex, creed, religion, or nationality. Make sure that in the new world they are not at the top of the food chain. Oh, and give them weapons and the ability to set each other on fire. Finally, remove death from the equation. Let us see how they get along now. I think that is what draws me to Everquest II.

Besides, if my wife is in Norrath, or anywhere else, I’ll be there too.

*This is an X-Files television show reference where a kid said something like: “I haven’t spent all these years playing Dungeons and Dragons ™ without learning something about Courage”

End first post

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There are other reasons I play Everquest II.

I am both a writer and an actor. (I am not saying that for the benefit of CBS. These are very real reasons that I play.) Online role-playing helps me create characters both on the stage and in my writing. The creative writing aspect first brought my wife and me together.

I have always loved text-based games and pen-and-paper role-playing games. These games require the use of your imagination. It is like stepping into a book, or in Everquest II’s case, stepping into a movie. MMORPG’s are an extension of the text-based world. Our characters are only cartoons until we bring life to them. With Everquest II, I can slip into another body and animate it. It is up to me to give it depth, emotion, and history in an existing fantasy world and culture. It is actually much harder to be a distinct individual in a world where everyone is either stereotypically beautiful, inhuman, or horrifically ugly. Being “In Character” is vitally important to me. It is what makes the experience worthwhile. I get absorbed temporarily in my character’s life.

Finally, I like exploring. If I cannot visit strange new worlds, a game is not much fun for me. We live in a time when television brings every corner of the world into our living rooms. There are few real “new frontiers” left in the real world, and even less that we will explore in my lifetime. Humanity seems to have an innate need to explore. For now, online gaming scratches that itch for me.

Quildion 1/12/2007

Old 01-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #47
Maldian

Maldian's World

Thank you Coyote for the amusement. I now have had to clean my desk up with cleaner and have had to replace my monitor (thank you warranty) due to me spewing Dr Pepper all over it. Also I had to quickly take a shower as I laughed so hard that I pee'd in my pants. Thank you again Coyote.... it is in gratitude that I thank you for helping me overcome the reality that I have to wear Depends for the rest of my life and drink from a straw.
Maldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #48
IgottaP

Loremaster

I originally started playing to keep in touch with friends and family while I was in the military.  Then I became part of a guild of some really cool people and their personalities and attitudes were the type that I felt I fit in with right away.  Now I am out of the military(disabled) :smileysad: and a stay at home dad, since I can not work anymore I spend my free time when not cleaning or taking care of the kids, cleaning up house in EQ2.  Its like the drug that the government has not found yet because in game I am perfectly healthy and can do anything anyone else can do and is a place to just forget about everything that is wrong or if I cant forget, take it out on the nearest mob.  Not much but thats my outtake and reason I play eq2 WAY to much
IgottaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #49
Jizno

Loremaster

I got into MMOs (EverQuest and EverQuest 2 in specific) for two reasons:1. The immersion factor is definitely there. After working a 9-5 Monday through Friday, it's nice to come home and feel absorbed into a whole new world and take my mind off of anything I might have "brought home" with me. (I work in customer service) But more importantly...2. I have one brother in Colorado and one in Kentucky, while my girlfriend and I are in Tennessee. We could all get together in one chat room and talk as a way of keeping in touch... or we could log on, group up and adventure together. This way we can go beyond just a regular chat - we can explore new places, work together to accomplish personal and group goals and still manage to have a few laughs as if we were all together in the same place. And in regards to my brother in Kentucky... I feel as if sharing our online experiences have actually brought us closer together over the past 4 years.

70 Templar

29 Weaponsmith
Jizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #50
xclassy

Loremaster

I'm disabled and sole caregiver at one time to both my parents in wheelchairs. My father was injured back in 1996  and saw these cool online games, something more then just playing cards with computer. He bought me computer only to find out that I didnt have system fast enough. So few years passes and so did he. But right before he passed he got my computer fast enough and collection addition of the game. Heart broken with his sudden passing. I just looked and pushed the game around for monthes. Before I broke the wrapper and installed it. He couldn't understand the games. Always trying to get me play. Since couldn't leave the house and needing to  be here for them all the time. One afternoon after coming home from doctor they told me my mother in which been in wheelchair for years. Now has first signs of oldtimers. She told me, your father was here. He be riding you for not even breaking down and trying it. After he when and got you the game. And I best figure it out. Because  like my father would say. In 5 years you will look back and say. It' wasn't that bad as it is now.

So I got online and learned the game. With the help of a few close friends that one that played the game. And another to start with me. So we both be learning the game together. Since he in the navy. He leaves and comes back. Shocked and exticted with my finds in the game and levels in which I had mastered while he was gone. And it fun because we made a guild in which others play together as a unit. And the other members or his family and close friends so we have pride in our little piece of the game that is called our own.

But the wonderful thing is the friends and friendship that have been builded in the game seem to  drift over out the game into the real world.  Phone calls on Birthdays , cards in mail or emails, Pictures, Holidays. And close next to those you play with those you group with on quest together. I love puzzles and quest are nothing but puzzles to solve. With over 6,000+ quest in this game. graphs that my mother and everyone in the game can enjoy there is a little something for everyone in this game. We roleplay with others sometimes.  Pull pranks on each other but most of all we play well together.

Sometimes even when the day can't get any worst. Just come and play and unwind. But there is other side of the coin in this game. Can't sleep . Poof your online and next thing you know it's daylight major quest under your belt. And Opps! I been on here for 6 to 12 hours. Yep, your a Eq  addict. And first sign is when your strong enough to omit it.   

I'm a EQ  addict.   

Bazaar Server,  

Xclassy (Darkelf) 70 nec/43 Sage

Flamyr (Human) 70 ShadowKnight/70 weaponssmith

Louysa (Gnome) 53 Mystic/ 21 Tailor

Spytfire (Halfelf) 36 Wizard/20 Provisoner

Kittyen (Darkelf) 39 Inquister/ 20 Achimist

Enchantyd (Fey) 29 Fury/ 2 Artison

Lada 20 (Eridite)Fury/ 28 Provisoner

Ambyr 38 (Kerri) Brigard/ 40 Jeweler

Lillydew 62 (Eridite) Conjure/ 16 Outfitter

Flickyr (Halfelf) 8 Bruiser

Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 AM   #51
GPA_Coyote

ChernobylKitten

Maldian wrote:
Thank you Coyote for the amusement. I now have had to clean my desk up with cleaner and have had to replace my monitor (thank you warranty) due to me spewing Dr Pepper all over it. Also I had to quickly take a shower as I laughed so hard that I pee'd in my pants. Thank you again Coyote.... it is in gratitude that I thank you for helping me overcome the reality that I have to wear Depends for the rest of my life and drink from a straw.

Well come ON. I'm a TORSO with a *FACE*. How can CBS turn that down? That has Oprah special written ALL over it.

Because not only am I just a torso with a face, I've learned to OVERCOME.

I bet I get my own TV special.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #52
Prowla

Loremaster

A reason to play EQII; to distract one's mind.  I am a divorced Dad that has three kids (who live with thier mother). The divorce has long since passed. However, the time that I am away from my kids seems an eternity if I sit around and think too much.  So I game. I escape the loneliness and depressing state that any intelligent, caring person may endure.

In being a guild leader, it gives me an opportunity to nurture younger or less experienced players. It is satisfying to build morale and to help people out when they are trapped or failing to acheive goals. I also like to set a good leadership example for my guild mates. I play fair and I treat people with due respect. My character is alive!

In leading raids, it gives me the opportunity to maintain diligent thought. I make a decisive plan and practice patience in getting people to do thier part. It is hard work to keep everyone motivated and inspired to acheive an objective. Leading a successful encounter is very satisfying.

In being a former MARINE, I can set out on exotic adventures with a group of "highly trained", specifically skilled characters... encounter strange beings.. and we commence in kicking butt and taking "names".. and afterwards taking the bad guy's lunch money!

Seniram

Lucan D'Lere Server

Prowla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #53
Maca

General

For me, online gaming is all about the wonder. When I say wonder, I mean the excitement, adventure, and discovering something new. In a regular console game you are the hero, you are the one who is destined to save the world, or beat the other football team. However, in an online game, you are just another face, if you want to get something significant done, you have to team up with many other people. Stand shoulder to shoulder with them against something that is greater than you all, and defeat it. But even if you arent taking part in epic battles every day, you can still discover some wonder all on your own, if you come upon a treasure chest while you are out hunting, or if you defeat a tough opponent by yourself. You get a surge of accomplishment that no other game can provide. A regular game is designed to be beat, but an MMO is designed to beat you, its designed to push you down into the dirt and make you crawl your way up ever so slowly. Its a powerful experience, and at the end of the day, when you log out, and you are no longer in a world of dragons and magic, you still feel like a hero, because you made a difference no matter how slight for the greater good of all, you contributed to something that will never go away. And when you come back, day after day, and then you finally set your foot down first on a new road, that no one has travelled before you, youll feel it deep down in your heart, because you *are* a hero, you are a hero because you stood up, time after time, and you pushed past every obstacle, and youve earned your right and privlidge to be remembed, and thats the only thing that really matters, is that you are remembered.
Maca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #54
Coica

Loremaster

I like crayons. thats it. seriously. I like crayons.ok, thats not really it.Like almost everyone here I play for several reasons. Mostly the people involved. I love my guild and the people on my server, even if a small percentage are on /ignore :smileymad:I play the game for times like last night when I was camping mistmoore catacombs for the last two pages I needed for cloak of flames quest and a small chest dropped witht he group I was in and my heart started punding because its taken me three weeks to get to this point and sure enough its page 9. I got soo excited and let the group know I really needed it but someone else wanted it also and they won lottery. my heart dropped out of my chest but it was ok because they even felt bad for me and we rolled on. minutes later i got page 8 and minutes after that page 9 dropped AGAIN! I was so happy and the group let me have the page.  Moments like that make the game worth it. when my guild-mates call for help and I can go help them and know that they enjoy my company just as much as when I get excited when they come help me. the little jokes over guild chat and on our guild message board. I play because it keeps me inside and safe. its relitavely inexpensive compared to other things I could be doing. I play because I can keep up with the game thru message boards while I am at work :smileysurprised: I play so I can escape and become another 'persona' . gotta be careful about that though. I am lucky to have some super nice ladies in my guild and I KNOW they are females. in EQ 1 I roleplayed a lot with this female barbarian and soon found out that she was a he, a trucker. we ended up getting married in-game but it got kinda wierd when he called me at work while travelling thru town and wanted to hang out. I passed. I play not so much to brag about "leet gear" but to share in these 'virtual accomplishments' that supplement our real lives and seem to make some of us feel better about ourselves.  I live in a supportive housing with 7 other recovering alcoholics/addicts and the people in my guild have helped me in my real life recovery by showing me some things I maybe didnt know how to do before, or wasnt comfortable with. that comes thru in my real life. they bring me up when I am feeling down   and let me cheer them up sometimes as well. we share births of children and the ups and downs of life together. Some may say "its only a game" or " its not real" , but I say its much more than a game, and the people are deffinately real. when I turn off the game, those people still exist. and they like crayons. just like me :smileyhappy:
Old 01-17-2007, 02:51 AM   #55
Teh_Person

Loremaster

Alright, i don't think I've ever even posted, but I actually have something to say now, so why not? If you asked me why i played MMOs about 2 years ago, I think I would've said something like "because you get to make yourself the hero, instead of having it handed it to you." But I eventually met a girl on a MMO (yes, this seriously happens) and she's been my girlfriend well over a year and a half now. Yeah, it's kind of a wierd story, and we're both only 15, but it gave me a way to keep a long distance relationship alive, and was a lot better to see a person who can think and move, rather than a chat screen. I also met many other friends that have become dear RL friends. Think I know somebody from every continent accepting antarctica now. I've developed a lot of odd stories with my friends and my girlfriend over the last 2 years, and I think I can say the reason i love MMOs now is not because you make yourself the hero, but you make yourself the entire story, from beginning to end.
Teh_Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #56
DizzyGee

Loremaster

"You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here." -Infocom 1980 (Zork I)That's where it all started...Well, actually it may have started with the Choose Your Own Adventure books that I loved in my childhood, but that is where the computerized part of it came into play. I've always loved fantasy, and I've always loved computers. Ah, the good ol' days of the TI-99/4A (my first computer). It didn't come with games - it came with BASIC (a programming language I used to make my own first games). Then came the Apples and the Commodore 64s, the Ataris and the Coleco Visions.Eventually my father purchased his first IBM-compatible: a Leading Edge 386er computer that came with a floppy drive (at some point I had purchased a datasette recorder for my Texas Instruments) and even a hard drive with a whopping 20mb. The four colors were simply amazing (I think I even developed a rare allergic reaction to cyan and magenta). The quality of graphics at an all-time high. Well, actually, they sucked.What didn't suck were the text adventures, like those from the company Infocom, which brought out some of the most entertaining games I have ever played - and that without any graphics at all. I suppose I didn't find it all too difficult to become immersed in such games, as I already enjoyed playing the dice-and-paper-based fantasy role-playing games, D&D an AD&D. Either way, my love of fantasy, my interest in the new technology of the day, and being an avid reader fed into my involvement with computer adventure games.I remember when my best friend's dad finally bought the first modem in the neighborhood (can you say 1200 baud?) and we spent hours "surfing" the various BBSs that sprouted up. At that point I was connected with others, who shared my passion for such things. Companies like PC-Pursuit (the first public servers) introduced us to even more "l33t" groups of hackers, err... computer enthusiasts, like the Chaos Club in Germany.Around that time I graduated from High School and went on to the university - taking my dad's PC with me. During high school - and aside from popping countless quarters into the arcade machines - the games of choice for me (and many of my friends) came from the long and illustrious line of Ultima sequels. Ultima was unmatched in scope, something that I always craved, but with which I was seldom awarded. I still enjoy firing up the emulator now and again to enjoy those classics.I didn't play much during college (if you don't consider Flight Simulator a game), so I kind of missed the whole birth of online games. My younger brothers, however, gave rave reviews of the various games that were introduced, e.g., Ultima Online, which they claimed was one of the best games of all time (probably a bit biased by virtue of having me as an older brother).Toward the end of college I went to Europe with an exchange program offered by the university, met my wife there, fell in love, and have been living here ever since. After graduating from college here in Germany and being lucky enough to land a sweet (and yet cushy) job at the university, I found that I had a little more time to actually catch up on what I had missed - and there was a lot that I had missed out on.One of my younger brothers (now 32) got into one of the more (if not the most) popular online games and constantly attempted to persuade me to try it as well. I spent some time researching it (not like back in the day, when I would have just gone out and bought both) and, after reading many opinions on the matter and weighing my options, I decided to try the FREE TRIAL of EQ2 - that was back in October 2006, i.e., not all that long ago and well after the game was originally launched.I was immediately hooked. The graphics are simply amazing, the landscapes breathtaking. The plethora of choices in creating a character really did remind me of "rolling up" my wizard back in the days of AD&D. Interestingly, the majority of players still refer to the character customization as such. I don't think I'm the only one in my age-bracket playing: mid-thirties.Just like back in the day, I decided to roll up a wizard - the role I have always played and enjoyed the most (if only I could wave my hands around, mutter a few words, and have fireworks go off in real life). The wizard in EQ2 is exactly how a wizard should be: Deadly from afar and dead from up close. :smileywink:I love playing my character, I love the scope of the world (affectionately referred to as Norrath), I love the seemingly endless amount of quests ranging from funny and quick to extremely long and difficult, I love having my virtual abode and decorating it (one of the reasons I didn't go with the "other" game), and most of all I love the community that exists in this micro-cosmos. Being an American living in Europe I appreciate being able to log in to an American server and to converse and spend time with my fellow countrymen (and women). But I also enjoy meeting new people from around the globe who have at least one thing in common: the love of the game.That is why I play. :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by DizzyGee on 01-17-2007 08:17 AM

DizzyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #57
Arinwulf

Loremaster

It actually started when a couple of guys,  Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson developed a game called Chainmail which evolved into Dungeon and Dragons which beget every fantasy game that followed on paper or on a pc.

Message Edited by Arinwulf on 01-17-2007 10:49 AM

Arinwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:07 AM   #58
DizzyGee

Loremaster

Arinwulf wrote:

It actually started when a couple of guys,  Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson developed a game called Chainmail which evolved into Dungeon and Dragons which beget every fantasy game that followed on paper or on a pc.

Message Edited by Arinwulf on 01-17-200710:49 AM

I guess I should have said, "That's how it all started (for me)." :smileyvery-happy:
DizzyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #59
EliteHero

Loremaster

I play becuse of enojoyment even doh some servers are low on ppl. I play becuse its great fun.Also you if your in the world of everquest 2 just walk around slay a few monsters and make a new freind I play becuse sometimes its only way i can get the big stuff of my back.
EliteHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #60
GPA_Coyote

ChernobylKitten

EliteHero wrote:
I play becuse of enojoyment even doh some servers are low on ppl. I play becuse its great fun.Also you if your in the world of everquest 2 just walk around slay a few monsters and make a new freind I play becuse sometimes its only way i can get the big stuff of my back.

Winner. Hands down.