EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
Grimwell

Community Relations

The Community Team is working with CBS and to find people who have interesting stories about why they play online games.  For example do you log in to play with a loved one that is currently over seas?  Do you have any other unique reasons for playing?  We would like to hear from you.This is a continuance of the question from this thread, but has grown in magnitude. Original post in the old thread:"The reasons people play online games are as diverse as the people themselves. Some play as a hobby, some do it for community, some do it to stay in touch with friends and family members that live far away.

What are your reasons for playing? What keeps you coming back? Why do you choose the games and avatars you do? The Community Relations Management Team at SOE is collecting player stories today, January 4, 2007. Take a few minutes and tell us yours!"What's your story?
Grimwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 AM   #2
irish

Tester

I play because i enjoy the immersion in a fantasy world.Being terminally ill , taking a few hours out of the week and taking my mind off of things by immersing myself in a very enjoyable game does wonders for me.I also like the comaraderie of My guild and the social interaction.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
silvername

Loremaster

Ok. Here is my story. I play to get away from the so called real world. I play to attempt to enter a world with adventure, challenges, and magic. Things that either don’t exist in the real world, or may not be seen.  I enjoy adventure style challenges, but they are non existent in the real world. But in game they do exist. The only down side there is, there is no real challenge. There is no chance of death, or thrill of winning.

Online games in particular are nice, for real people play the game, making it like a story, that you must make. To be someone in a game that fights monsters and saves people. Magic, dragons, wizards, and swords. I often times wish and dream about living in a world like this. This is also why I enjoy Roleplay so much, to act and be someone else in a world like Norath. So you want to know why I play online games. I play them to get away from the truth. The truth that I may never find what I dream about, in this so called real world. This is my story, the reason I play online games.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
Thoral

Loremaster

When I created my first toon and started questing on the Isle of Refuge, I'd find myself thinking...I'll quit for the day once I complete all the quests on the Isle.Then, when I left the Isle, I'd think to myself...I'll quit for the day once I have enough cash to buy bags for all my slots.Then it was...I'll quit for the day once I finish revealing the entire map in Commonlands.Every single day, there's just one more thing I need to do.I play this game constantly because I always feel like there's something I haven't done yet that I want to do!
Thoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
Arinwulf

Loremaster

Playing EQ2 has allowed me  to establish a relationship with my nephew who lives up in Washington, (I live in California) and it allows, my nephew and my niece who only see each other in the summer to have some interaction during the rest of the year.  It also allows my brother and I who have busy schedules to spend time with each other on a regular basis. Its really a blast when we all can get on at the same time and play.

MMORPGs are the new television/ movie.  The game involves the player in the story pulling him or her into the milieu in a way that television and movies never could.

Arinwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:25 AM   #6
Trepan

Loremaster

Yup, one of the main reasons I play is to keep in touch with my friends I left behind 5 years ago when I moved 700+ miles away.    We've got people in the guild who have children over 1000 miles away, who are also in guild.   Its nice to see Mom and Daughter sign on and group up and run off to kill goblins while discussing the grandkids."chop-chop-chop  Suzie lost her first tooth today!  chop-chop-chop"  "dodge, nuke, whirl, spin Send me a picture!  *splat*  And THEN rez me!"The monthy fee is cheaper than any phone call of the duration of one night's play, and there's no way to get that much fun out of a telephone conversation.  Conference-call schmonference call.  24 person raid w/ ventrilo, baby!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
Maldian

Maldian's World

The reason why I started playing Everquest back in beta of EQLive is because my best friend was thinking about playing. Then after being a dedicated Everquest fanatic, I began networking across the world with other players and became great friends with them. Everquest gave me a world away from the real world. It gave me a chance to live reality in a fantasy world. Then when Everquest II was released in beta, I was selected to beta test it. Immediately, my attention was caught in a different way. The content and development of the game was more intriguing to me. I made even more friends and ended up being a community addict. Eventually that became my calling to work for websites across the Everquest II Community. My goal was to become more active in the world of Everquest II. Now that I am working for EQ2 Stratics website, I have a new set goal. One day, I hope to work for SOE directly and be even more involved in the Everquest II world. We may be in their world now... but without the fans of Everquest II.... there would be no Norrath.
Maldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
Ama

General

For a big story here's a link to something I posted in the "What's Your Story?" post. 

If I really had to say anything I play because I like the community, sense of adventure and exploration.  There's a really great rush taking down a powerful epicx4 monster for a quest recieving a reward for it.  That's why SWG really drew me in since there was no level system known.  It was always a gamble facing down red conned enemies and even more so in powerful areas like Death Watch Bunker.  Saying all of that the thing that keeps me playing EQ2 right now is the guild i'm in.  I feel a sense of responsibility since i'm one of the 3 leaders in it. 
Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #9
Marcula

Loremaster

I read about Everquest 2 in a magazine I read in a doctors office two years before its release. I thought to myself at the time..........looks interesting! I didn't think about it until I heard of its imminent release and at the time I was getting near the end of "Neverwinter Nights". (I kind of used the game as an excuse to put together a high end gaming computer which I keep upgraded haa ha)
       I talked to a collegue of mine who had a bit of interest in gaming and a few other people and convinced four people in total to give it a try. Three of us bought the collectors edition, the fourth the regular and away we went. When I first loaded the program and started playing my character I had pre-designed I was in awe.
      Of the original four of us we are down to two but we are still loving the game as much as the first day and after two years have barely dented the things to do. We have made a ton of friends in game and feel like we are a part of a larger world community of like minded players. We still get together with the original four and have night of laughter as we recall our early mistakes in game and the hours of chuckles they produced.

I use the game to meet new people from around the world and to have a place I can visit whenever I want and lose myself in a world of intrigue, fun, passion and excitement. There is no one to say what I can or can't do and having my Toon battle with another persons toon is awesome!! (PvP)

I have watched about 20 hours of television since the game released two years ago. The game made TV redundant for entertainment and I already used the internet for news.

- Sight -The visual impact was incredible....I still go visit some areas like Permafrost just to look around

- Sounds -I actually still get goosebumps everytime I bring another character to life and first hear the opening sounds of the music on the "Trial of the Isle".

- Heritage quests - I absolutely love doing heritage quests for the pure satisfaction of hearing the trumpets sound and know I just accomplished special and did some good for the Guild. I never played EQ1 so they are all new items to me.

- Signature quests - And not just signature quests but the ones that take forever to do and really make you feel good when you have slugged it through to finish. The Amulet of Ro, The Peacock......love them.

- Tradeskilling - I have ten characters...One of them is played by my 3 year old boy and another is played by my 8 year old daughter. I tradeskill with all of them and love the idea of having everything I have on my back being from the fruits of my labour.

- PvP - For the first year and a bit I played on Oasis doing PvE. It was so incredibly fun I didn't even think to try out PvP when it came out. Then one day my Guildy suggested we try it out for fun and on that day "Wanderingwilly" and "Whiskyjack" were born. We have never looked back and since then have deleted most of our old characters and created new ones on  Venekor. I have tried to go back to my high level characters on Oasis and play them.... but the game is not the same and the excitement is just not there. To be able to leave your character afk for an hour in TT and when you come back nothing is different (and you are still alive) just seems wrong now. I love having enemy that have leveled about the same pace as me who will try to kill me at every opportunity just as I try to kill them.

Keep up the incredible work......I for one will be playing EQ2 till you come out with EQ3 in the far distant future!!

Marcula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #10
EtoilePirate

Tester

I started when my then-boyfriend (who, yes, lived elsewhere: New York, to my Boston) let me create a character on his account.  I quickly got hooked.I suspect it probably qualifies as an addiction.   *grin*  After a week without, I feel... homesick.Alternatively, though... I have an MFA in Film Studies and hope someday to go back to school and get a PhD in the developing field of Game Studies.  The field and the dynamics fascinate me.  Every moment I'm logged in is research in practice.  Any time I play a game or read a forum, I'm quietly accumulating anecdotal evidence and ideas.  Sometimes in Test, someone will say something that makes me run for my notebook of half-written papers.The same way that a film scholar could sit down and write 3 pages off the top of her head about any movie she sees... well, that's how I am with games.  I study the advertising.  I study the culture.  I study the players.  (It's practically ethnography, writing about it all.)  Can't resist your life's work when you realize you've stumbled upon it, eh?  SMILEY

Message Edited by EtoilePB on 01-11-2007 06:50 PM

Nimari, Fury-at-Large

Test Server
EtoilePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 AM   #11
Savanja

Fansite Staff

I started playing so that I could spend more time with my husband and my brother.  They had picked up Ultima Online at release, and we spend nearly all of their free time playing, and I wanted to be a part of that.I keep playing because I found it fun and interesting.  There is a mild sense of accomplishment in creating and building a character like one does in a MMORPG, and watching that character progress.  Along with that, I loved the stories and the lore behind the fantasy genre of MMOs.  Always having been an avid reader, it was like playing inside a living and breathing book, and soon I found the joys of writing my own lore for my characters, as people had been doing for such a long time with table top RPGs.I'm pretty picky about what I will play.  I've tried so many MMOs, but I only stick with those that truly appeal to me, both with game and community.  EverQuest II had an amazing community, even long before launch, that captivated me from the beginning, and this community is a very large reason why I've stuck by EQ2 for so long.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Gethani

Gaming Grannie

Here is a link to my story.GethaniGuild LeaderDeviance Unrest ServerOGR Staff
Gethani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
Dracor

General

This post will probably make some people wonder about it's validity, but I assure you that I am writing from complete honesty and sincerety. What I am about to say will be completely shocking for some people. It is something I don't often talk about because it is not usually well received, however, in light of the topic of conversation and the fact it is posted by an ops personnel, I feel this is an appropriate medium to share.Now, games in general are something I plain enjoy. They are fun, they are usually creative and they give me an opportunity to show off my "leet" skills when I can. (Or at least part extensive knowledge about subject matters of games since I tend to be somewhat A-type in learning about them).But as for online games, the reality is that I play online games in order to communicate and interact with people. But it goes deeper than that. Online games give me an opportunity to interact with people in a fashion real life denies me. Since the people online do not know me, do not see me and do not know my life style, I am anonymous user and I build my identity through the actions I take, the statements I make and the viewpoints I emphasize.What this is all leading to is that I usually choose to play and to role-play female gendered characters. Most people who play female characters do so to gain an edge over male players. It is the sex-appeal aspect.For me, it is completely psychological. In life, I am a 29 year old male. I have been married, divorced and I have two children. For a great part of my life, that is great and it is what make me -- me. But, I also never get the opportunity to play the part of the other role. That of women. And while a game can never really substitute for reality, I can at least get a bit of that by and through them.And I like it. Perhaps I am more female on the inside than many people feel comfortable with, but I like it. I revel in it when I am allowed. And online, when people cannot see me, they can only judge me, I am allowed.I have gone as far as using a voice changer when I played Dungeons and Dragons Online to even sound female. All but the most astute of players were fooled. I quite often got comments about how it was nice to hear 'another female gamer' since while not truly existant, they tend to be more of a rarity, especially in voice chat. But I always had to smile to myself when they would say that because in truth, I was not. I just had done my part of role playing well enough to fool them for real.Now, I don't stalk people, I don't try to dupe them and I don't try to deceive them on any matter other than my real life gender. But I enjoy pretending that I am female and receiving the comments, the questions, and the chatter that comes back at me when people believe I am female. I get that chance at being someone I am not in real life. And for me, I find that highly enjoyable.You cannot get me to play male characters. They are not what I enjoy nor what I feel suited to. In short, I enjoy pretending to be female far too much.Yes, that comment usually illicits all sorts of personal attacks and flames upon my character and some people feel even shocked and angered by my decision. And for those people, I can only offer an apology that my prescense upsets them so.Now, in EQ2 and other games where I group with the same group of people over and over, I use my regular voice on communications chat and I share my gender openly. In DDO and other games where voice chat is implemented but the people you group with are random, I use a voice changer. I act as female as I can, I do not tell people they are wrong when they talk to me in the female gender mannerisms and I even will answer questions from a female point of view when I have that opportunity.Some of my heroes have always been female. Joan of Arc, Anne Frank, and Queen Elizabeth are some people will recognize more easily. And when I play a female I am very careful not to allow the spread of negativity or sexist remarks, at least when I am able to stop it. To allow it would undermine everything I struggle to be.Women deserve more respect than that. And I would hope that any who knew what I did were only proud of that which I portray.But finally, to sum up, I enjoy it. I enjoy pretending when I can that I am female. Even if it is only a fantasy and even if it is only fleeting.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:22 AM   #14
EtoilePirate

Tester

Dracorat wrote:Yes, that comment usually illicits all sorts of personal attacks and flames upon my character and some people feel even shocked and angered by my decision. And for those people, I can only offer an apology that my prescense upsets them so.

Don't apologize.  It's their problem, not yours.

Nimari, Fury-at-Large

Test Server
EtoilePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:30 AM   #15
Taubin

Loremaster

A former roommate and I picked up EQ2 on a whim, we were sick of all of the other games we were playing at the time.  This, for me, was my first MMORPG, and I got hooked right off the bat.  The graphics, sounds, dynamics, and most of all, social aspect of the game were what really hooked me in.  For me, the game has become a release.  A way to get away from everything for a few hours at a time, and get to know other people.  I suffer from social anxiety disorder quite badly (although, you wouldn't be able to tell that from knowing me in game :smileywink: ), and this is one of the ways I can talk to other people and hang out without having an anxiety attack, which is also one of the reasons I keep playing.  I have met some really great people on the server I play on (Everfrost) and on the forums.  When I have a bad day at work, I can come home, log in, and forget the world around me. It's a great feeling.  I guess that's what really got me, the ability the game gave me to escape to a fantasy world and not worry about the real one, even if it is only for a few hours at a time :smileywink: .
Old 01-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #16
Calthine

ZAM EQII

I never played RPG's before I met my husband, except for a couple of brief flirtations with D&D.  Originaly he got me EQ1 so we could play together (I'm sure it was really so I wouldn't complain how much time he spent in game!), but I rapidly fell for the escapism of "living" in a fantasy world.A couple years later I had my first child, and was unable to keep up with the Adventuring/Raiding side of the game.  I got very into tradeskilling because for the most part I didn't need in-game help to accomplish it.  We moved to Everquest 2 when it launched because we were unable play enough to keep up with the raid-oriented content of EQ1.Now I find I play as much for community as for the fantasy immersion.  On my server at lauch we had a strong community of stay-home parents, and on any given day you would find Qeynos_Crafting full of parenting advice as well as Tradeskill chat.  My personal community has broadened beyond "Mom's Anonymous" to include the Artisan community and the vocally passionate crowd on That Other Forum.  There are days when, stuck home with the kids and feeling cut off from the world, the game community has kept me on an even keel.  I've made some great friends who I'm in contact outside the game and one day might even meet face to face.  Specific to Everquest 2, I enjoy being able to have a role in the world (Artisan) even though I cannot be a hard-core adventurer or raider.  I love the people I play with and I love the Community that has grown around the game.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #17
kajirala

Lord

well ok here goes my story..

one of my dads friends at work suggested that my dad play this online game which was EQLive. Whenever my dad played i used to sit next to him and watch. After about a few months of watching my dad play EQlive i asked if i could make a character. I made a high elfn named Teresoas. I always ran around felwithe till i knew it like the back of my hand. This was when i was like 5 or 6. then i started adventuring. made it to level 30. Then i heard that they were making a sequel to everquest like when i was around 8 or 9. I beged my dad for it when it came out.....so a year after it came out i got it. i was only like 10 or 11. After that for like a month or 2 i had a Star Wars craze and i played SWG till the NGE... now i only log on to host events for my guild sinced im the only female ent in the guild. i came back to EQ2 after that. i then joined a guild..The Lost Heroes..and its a lot of fun...ive been in the guild for as long as i can remember. then i had another SWG craze for about a month. I then came back to EQ2 and this is were i am today.:smileyhappy: and im still very excited because i know this game will get better and im still with the Lost Heroes

it was a little bit more then how i became addicted to online roleplaying games but thats everything :smileytongue:

Message Edited by kajirala on 01-27-2007 06:29 AM

Old 01-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #18
Araxes

Loremaster

NOTE  [I'm writing this as if someone at CBS might read it -- not as a general post to this particular thread per se.]-----Although I've been playing video games since I was 8 years old (I'm 27 now) I had never played an online game until EQ2 came out.  I had read about online games like Ultima Online and of course seen the news coverage of the original EverQuest and so when all the hype for EQ2 started I thought "Now is as good a time as any!" and I jumped in.I was hesitant at first.  I had stupid thoughts go through my head like "What if I can't figure out how to chat with people?" or "What if I get killed and other players laugh at me?" or "What if I jsut can't understand what it is I am supposed to be doing!?"  But not long after I logged in I found that people were helpful and friendly.  I ran around working on "quests" (i.e. objectives that players' virtual characters need to accomplish in these types of games) and soon joined with a group of four or five other players to complete one particularly challenging objective.  After that ... I was hooked.Now as to the why I continue to play ... that's an easy one.  It combines the best aspects of things that I love -- books, movies, art -- and puts them into a medium that transforms into the ultimate escape -- a video game.  I work long days and often work more than 40 hours per week - my schedule is irregular and I have a lot of stress in my life each day.  Rather than going to a bar after work and spending money to get a hangover ... instead I come home -- make dinner, change, shower, relax a bit just like eveyrone else -- and then log in and catch up with my friends.  My original group of "regular online friends" as I call them were three players -- one from my home state of North Carolina and two from the West Coast.  We grouped together jsut about every night for 3 or 4 months.  Our sessions ranged from 1 - 3 hours depending on our time and what else we had going on.  No more than what you might spend in front of the TV or watching a movie.  And instead of solitary activity -- I was engaging - socializing - and achieving.  It sounds silly to say - but yes - coordinating these types of things in a virtual world is a lot more work than it sounds like it might be.  It's a really big deal -- and it does give some sense of accomplishment -- when you can say "I've done that quest - we completed it.  It was really hard."  So - some of the drive comes from gratification.Now - before you take that and twist it into "What's wrong with these people today?  Are they not gratified in their real lives?"  Let's put it into perspective.  What I am doing is not any different from someone who watches TV or reads a book or works on a hobby they are passionate about.  I am an in-shape, employed, ambitious individual.  And by and large the people who I know -- many co-workers -- who play these online games are in the same boat.  It's not about filling some kind of void -- it's not at all about being anti-social.  In fact the opposite.  It's an incredibly social environment and it demands a lot of working together in groups to get things done.  It's like going to see a great show and then going to dinner with 80 of your best friends and talking about for 2 hours after.  Except it takes place online - in a virtual world - and what you have in common is the love of the game, the love of video games in general, and your common bond in overcoming the challenges the game presents to you in all forms.What are those challenges?  Economic.  Do I want to buy this or that and how high should I sell it?  Will there be demand for this virtual item or that virtual item?  What's the current market value?  I could show it to my kids and say "Look -this is going to teach you about economies!"  They wouldn't have a clue what I meant but they would know exactly what it meant when that gold piece showed up in their virtual bank the next day!  Or.  I could have them watch Elmo.  Hmm.  Let's see ... spend quality time interacting with my child and teach him something at the same time?  Or sit him in front of the tube to watch a puppet.  Gee.There are also more physical challenges (albeit virtually physical ones!) such as defeating extremely challenging opponents ... putting a 24-man "raid" together to take down a dragone 20 times your character's size ... this is a lot of work and is extremely hard to coordinate ... but when you win - it creates a bond between the players that can be very strong - just as if you won a sports tournament or major playoff game in real life.  There are leaderboards for these sorts of things as well -- who has the best equipment, who's made the most discoveries, and so forth.  And then there are more simple things ... like decorating your online virtual home (as in EQ2).  Or creating your own items and selling them for virtual money to other players through the in-game broker system.  Or dueling another player to pass time.  Or joking around with your friends about nothing.  Or simply engaging in conversation in one of the public chat channels -- these are usually about some aspect of the game but also diverge into all areas.  And believe it or not ... there is not - in EQ2 - a whole lot of swearing or vulgarity.  Sure - there is some.  But not really more than you would hear if you went to a ballgame (in fact probably a whole lot less!) -- so the idea that there are creeps and weirdos just hanging out is misplaced, by and large.  The vast majority are normal people - teens through late adulthood - with some extremes - with normal lives.  It's a social drive first and foremost.  It's something you can have in common with a group of people from all over the world who you may not ever have anything else in common with -- or would not otherwise.  Secondly it's about accomplishment.  Thirdl - it's about interaction in real-life ... whether it's meeting other players or discussing it in public forums like this!Just like any other passion or interest that humans have ... this is no different. 

Message Edited by Vicontessa on 01-11-2007 07:27 PM

Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #19
Zilreed

Loremaster

Reposting this again from the original thread.   My hubby's comment is on that other thread though.  Should I have him repost it here too? I originally met my husband on the internet, through a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon or Domain or Dimension).  We had a roleplaying relationship between our characters and a couple of years later, we decided to start dating in real life and outside of the game.  We got married 11 months later.Shortly after my husband and I got married, he introduced me to Everquest 1.  It was at the time shortly after the Luclin expansion was released.  We both played on the Fironia Vie server, since it was the roleplaying server.  I created a Vah Shir Beastlord lady and he had his High Elf Wizard.  We roleplayed a strange romantic relationship between the two, even if they couldn't kiss or have kittens...Eventually, we stopped playing for a bit, and then the Everquest II game came out and I was interested in trying it.  My hubby got Everquest II for me for Valentine's Day of 2005.  I enjoy this more than any diamond or chocolate in the world.  We soon started playing EQ2 together.  I originally created a couple of characters, a Templar and a Paladin (and accidentally used my veteran painting rewards on the Templar before realizing that I couldn't have them back) and shortly deleted them.  I decided to create a Kerra Fury, who is the decendant of my Vah Shir character in EQ1.  I chose a Fury because they can turn into lions and also because, for roleplaying, I feel a Fury is as close to a class that relates to the Vah Shir and Beastlord ways as they can be.  No, my Vah Shir and my hubby's high elf wizard didn't mate...  The Vah Shir had kittens with another Vah Shir, but the high elf wizard adopted them and raised them with my Vah Shir.  My husband created the same high elf wizard in EQ2, since high elves can live hundreds of years.  My Kerra plays as the wizard's great, great, great, great, great, grandkitten where they eventually found each other in Qeynos after the Shattering. My husband and I have two accounts each, because we eventually filled our character slots up and we needed more.  Some of our other characters include:- A female half elf Defiler and a Dark Elf Necro-- who have a VERY intimate relationship together. - A couple of Ratongas (wizardess and Swashbuckler) who decided to become mates forever (husband and wife) that had betrayed Freeport to go to Qeynos (back when we had the original betrayal system where we had to kill 500 gnolls!).- A female Barbarian Warden and a male Human Bezerker who see each other from time to time and always end up flirting.  - and more...And for the record, I enjoy playing healer classes, especially druids!  At the end of September of 2005, we had a house fire.  We got out alive.  The kitchen was destroyed and as a result, we were forced to live in a residental inn untill the kitchen was made over.  We had our computers and an internet connection at the inn of course.   During the Halloween event of 2005, I decided to try to make an EQ2 video, called, "To Dance Among The Dead."  After releasing it to the public, it seemed to have been a huge success.  So now I continue to make EQ2 videos and my husband and I still play together.  We love all our characters and we enjoy roleplaying with them and seeing Norrath and its history and lore change over time.

Message Edited by Zilreed on 01-12-2007 03:41 AM

Zilreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #20
AngelsOfEmpathy

Loremaster

The reason i play everquest 2 is simple but complexed at the same time. I am mentally handicapped with over 20 diffrent things wrong with my mind and body insomnia, agrophobia, and social axiety to name a few so i am housebound. Everquest 2 is my way of staying in touch with the world that surrounds me that i can not reach. I have made long time friend through eq2 which i will never forget (hopefully :smileyhappySMILEY When your "locked-away" you have to use whats around you to keep you happy and entertained, eq2 has done this very well, as i spend many hours in this new world i have found. As i learn to move past all these issue one day, i will never forget what kept me going in the early days.

I also play with my best real life friend that lives a few states away from me , and my wife joins in when she gets bored with reading.

Awsome work sony, you are a life saver for those of use that have no other place to turn.

I play a male dark elf troubadour

Male - well, thats simple so am i

Dark elf - med build, great looking for a scout class

Troubadour - i love helping others as much as i can, and this class lends to that ALOT

Message Edited by AngelsOfEmpathy on 01-12-2007 01:51 AM

Message Edited by AngelsOfEmpathy on 01-12-2007 01:54 AM

AngelsOfEmpathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #21
Bleedingheart

Loremaster

A brief recap from the other thread.............

-The reason I play? It all started one night while lying in bed. Once I had dozed off I experienced a weird dream where I thought I was flying through clouds. All of a sudden a thunderous booming voice reverberated through my non-corporeal being that said just the following: Everquest 2!. Immediately after a bright light shone down upon me as if the very heavens parted to bestow all that is good and divine to me. Then without warning I began a frighteningly fast descent toward mother earth which left me screaming like a little girl the entire flight down. When I became aware of the fact that I was back in my fleshy constraints I noticed that my now awake self was flying through a wall ala Beverly Hills Ninja.

But alas, I was drawn to EQ2 after a migratory route that began with Everquest 1 shortly after the Ruins of Kunark was discovered. I played there until shortly after The Gates of Discord were opened to the masses where in which I had found myself traversing the lands of Vana'diel in Final Fantasy XI. After a brief stay I happened across a cave where inside I fell through a cosmic rift and found myself trapped in the World of Warcraft. After numerous battles and conquests I descended upon the City of Heroes and Villains intent on creating an empire in my own image. Growing restless due to no more challenges I left my empire there and found myself back in the wilds of Norrath in Everquest 2. There I was abducted....err kidnapped.....err invited! into the guild Deviance in which I am still in chains....err making a home! to this day

SHAMELESS PLUG: Oh and did I mention that Deviance is a great guild?

-You want MORE reasons as to why I play?!

OK!!:smileytongue:

1) I like the people that I have met while playing......honestly.....:smileyhappy:

2) It gives me something to do as I unwind from a really long day.

3) Overall the game is quite fun to play and offers various activities in which players can participate. One of my favorite past times is going to the annual gnome punt,pass and eating competions held in Freeport :smileyvery-happy:

4) They bribed me with a pair of Everquest 2 underoos that I can wear on my head during raids!!

5) Last but not least........cookies!!! :smileysurprised:

Bleedingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #22
Inqr

Loremaster

I was heavily involved in the Club scene here in NYC. Drinks, chemicals, strippers, ect. In my group we had the cars , the clothes and the money. We all tanned and hit the gym. I was living way too fast, and subsequent to an arrest I decided to relax a bit while I did not have my driver's license. I wound up playing AO for a year, SWG for a year and now EQ2 for 2 years. Some of the old group got married, others moved away. I found other outlets for debauchery. The internet can get you many things  ;  )
Inqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #23
Mizzkit

Why do I play?  It's an escape from the real world, I'm totally disabled with degenerative disk and joint disease, and for a while every day I'm a spry little gnome wizard or conjurer doing things I used to be able to do (riding horses), and able to be really active.  I've made many friends on the unrest server who I talk to daily as my little gnome goes about whatever task I've decided to do today.  It's nice to forget about pain for a while and to become immersed in a fantasy world.

Mizzgnomer lvl 70 wiz/Mizzcast Lvl 48 conj and growing proud members of The Elite Force lvl 30 guild

Mizzkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #24
wheelwinner.com

Loremaster

I told myself, "There is no way I will play Everquest 2". I only ment to try it out as a side game to playing Everquest 1. Once I started playing Everquest 2, I never went back to Everquest 1.

What I like about Everquest 2 are all the different kind of things to do besides grinding. And you can make your own games up too, like to see who can make 5 platium first from just selling harvested items on the broker. The possibilities for Everquest 2 are enormous, and I think the developers are running full board just keeping up with the major stuff.

What keeps me comming back are my quests, not the quests in the log, but the quest to be the best, to have the best gear, the most money, the most quests completed, to be the number one guild in the world. I can raid the same place over and over and it's never the same, because the people are never the same in raid. There always seems to be some kind of 'soap opera' going on which I get to sit back and laugh about.

I play with my mom, brother and aunt who all live in different states. We are the leader of our guild and it's fun to watch it grow.

Message Edited by wheelwinner.com on 01-12-2007 04:04 AM

Message Edited by wheelwinner.com on 01-12-2007 04:10 AM

wheelwinner.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #25
Stari

General

I have played EQ2 since launch, but my "reasons" have evolved over time.  Ultimately, I've always played EQ2 because it is a great outlet of escapeism.I stopped working over a year ago, and I stopped playing EQ2 for awhile because I didn't feel right playing a online game regularly while I was out of work.  My guild, however, wanted me back in the game and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  I can't tell you how good such gestures of being wanted around can make you feel and I eventually returned.  Although I am in my late 20s, I still live with my parents.  They seem to enjoy having me around.  I tend to pay a lot more creed to fate, because last September we discovered that my mother had a cancerous tumor in her esophagus.  Not long after that, I was living in a hotel with my mother just outside of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN while she underwent treatment.  I've been her primary caregiver while my father continues to work as much as he can.  My parents are in thier 60s, and as it turns out, they wouldn't have been able to get through this without my help.While living in a hotel room with my mother for a couple of months, I had a little free time when not taking care of her.   I brought my PC with me because the hotel had both wireless internet and in room DSL.   For the next couple months, the world of Norrath was the best escape for me.  When I wasn't pushing my mother around in a wheel chair, I was in EverQuest II.   When I wasn't hooking her up to a feeding pump because she has to take most of her food through a tube that goes straight to her small intestine, I was in EverQuest II.  The times that she could, thankfully, sleep because she wasn't in pain,  I was in EverQuest II.   I have no trouble actively taking care of my mother because there is no other option conceivable for me.  She took care of me all my life, I'll help take care of her now.    Its those occasions where you have pleanty of time to think, though... those are the hard times.   And I filled a lot of those times up in the game of EverQuest because its the only other place I could easily get to.  And thankfully, it's a pretty nice place to visit. Just before Christmas, we were able to come back home.   EQ2 is still performing much the same role for me.  Unfortunately, my ISP has odd packet-shaping policies over it's network or something, because it makes me go linkdead in the game about every 20 minutes.  But that doesn't bother me anymore.  I still enjoy my virtual visit.   At the end of the month, We'll be back at the Mayo.   If mom's treatments have gone well,. she'll be having a major operation to remove the affected portion of her esophagus.   I'll be gone for a couple more weeks and I likely wont have my PC with me this time.   It'll just be a short vacation from Norrath, I'm sure.  Because mom will still have a long road ahead for recovery and I intend to continue being her caregiver for as long as she needs.   I'll have to find a job again at some point too,  but I know I'll be back in Norrath many times along the way.You can't totally avoid reality, nor should you.  Life is much too precious to do so.  But I can't tell you how happy I am there is a game like EverQuest II because it helps make certain portions of life a bit easier to swallow.   So, if you see a Dwarf by the name of Aegir Rumbleforge running about, having a good time, there's a reason why the man behind the dwarf wants to have a good time.   And if he goes linkdead or AFK for awhile, know too that he'll be back before too long.   You can't keep a good Dwarf down.    And I don't intend to stay down either.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #26
GPA_Coyote

ChernobylKitten

My Original Story;

And my new...

Bare chested, my rippling pectorals glistened with sweat like the morning dew kissing a blossoming rose. Soft beads of honeyed perspiration trickled my chest, kissing my taut abdomen as I reached for a box that had managed until now, to avoid my eye.

"Esmerelda? What is this?" I asked, turning my head towards her in question and sending a ripple of motion through my wavy blonde hair. Holding up the small square of assembled cardboard, my eyes - sheened of the deepest blue, like an ocean wave longing for shore - locked on hers as she gave a melodic giggle.

"Oh Coyote, my well muscled stallion." She cooed with delight as I swept towards her, and the bed with renewed passion. "It is a game, you silly beast of a man." She purred as I brought my body closer to hers.

Esmerelda was everything a man could dream of, and the gods could envy. From her flowing main of silken hair, the color of heaven mixed with honeysuckle, to the generous swell of her bosom which heaved in anticipation as our bodied drew nearer.

"I've little time for games temptress." I growled against her warm skin, coaxing another giggle from deep within her perfect breast. I could feel her heart flutter like a caged bird as she moaned again, her pulse quickening.

"Gods yes." She whispered in husky tones brought on by swelling desire. "You have to try it." Esmerelda groaned against my ear.

I looked away as the sound of the ocean echoed in the distance behind us, an unseen breeze tossing my hair around me in a cascade of chaos.

"I...I..can't." I cried out in anguish, my inner turmoil boiling to the surface like an erupting volcano. "I...I don't have ..a...a computer." I wailed. Shame, embarrassment and guilt overwhelmed me as I looked away in angst, Esmerelda quickly sliding to my side.

"Shh..my love." She quieted my pain with a gentle shush as she pointed across the room where her ivory tower stood naked upon her desk. "You can use mine." She cooed, her eyes hinting at mischief as I looked between the equipment and the vision of perfection coiled around me.

I was nervous. For all my boasting and physical perfect, I had never done this. I had never touched such a device, and its contours and crevices while visually familiar, were alien to me.

But my dear sweet Esmerelda knew, and she took my disc firmly in her soft hands and with a feathery touch, gently placed it into her cd rom tray.

The earth moved.

I gasped in quiet surprise and unexpected excitement as the data loaded on her screen. The images came fast and furious, my eyes all but fluttering closed in sheer amazement as I installed EverQuest II on her computer.

"Faster!" She moaned, her voice deep with wanting and heavy with desire as she urged the computer to load the game with renewed frenzy. My fingers flew over her keyboard, as I grew more accustomed to the interface, and with an almost instinctual finesse, I signed in.

"Yes....y...YES!" She howled excitedly as the character creation window filled her screen and I pounded away at the keyboard like a man possessed.

With a final stroke of the board before me, I was in game. I was, finally, a man.

"Gods...how do you like it baby?" Esmerelda breathed as she leaned back in the plush armchair. I couldn't answer - I was consumed. Taken back by sights and sounds I had never seen, I was like a man possessed. I needed more, I wanted more, and my passions and lusts would not be so easily sated.

My lack of answering as I turned slightly away from her, my eyes fixed on the screen caused a slight smile to tug at the corners of her full, perfect lips.

"You know I would do anything for you.." She hinted coyly as she leaned in, her body once again close to mine.

"Anything?" I asked, never for an instance looking away from the digital bliss before me.

"Anything." She grinned, pulling a seductive draw on the word.

"Get me a soda and leave me alone woman, I'm trying to play." I growled slapping at her annoying touch as I fought a one up blue con bumblebee.

That was over two years ago, and she hasn't been back with my soda yet.

GPA_Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #27
jumpmaster12

Loremaster

My wife and I play so that we can do something together. Not having a lot of disposable income for going out all the time we find this to be an inexpensive way to relax and unwind while still spending time together. We have played together for almost 3 years now and in our opinion it has helped to strengthen our bond together.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #28
GPA_Coyote

ChernobylKitten

For those of you who know me, you'll know I'm rarely serious, but you don't know why....

At the age of nineteen months I came down with a fever and a childhood illness that devestated my small body.  I lived but I was left blind, deaf, and unable to speak. Unable to communicate with the world I had developed on my own over 60 different ways to sign and communicate with my family.

In desperate attempt to curb my unruly behavior and teach this poor blind and deaf child about the world around him that he could neither see or hear, my mother contacted the Perkins Insititue for the Blind who put her in contact with my mentor...and my best friend - Anne Sullivan.

Through her teachings I began to understand the world around me, and through her signings I learned the words "Video Games" "EverQuest" and "Huge Gazongas".

The more I learned of these things, the more I was drawn into their world. The little blind and deaf mute boy trapped in his own shell, could now leave it to become a level 65 Swashbuckler with his first piece of fabled gear.

I am Coyote. And that is my story.
GPA_Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #29
England

Loremaster

I play online games originally because they were a new form of exciting entertainment. Today, I play with either far-away dear  friends which I rarely see, and even a few hours a week with my two kids that are both in college  and we get to talk about what's happening in their lifes and what are they thinking.   A fun medium to stay in touch with one's social circle.
England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #30
Wytie

Mouse Betrayer!

I play cause i have no choice... I have  a problem that you have created my goals in RL is to level my toon, how screwd is that???

I can no longer waste my time with RL matters its nolonger improtant EQ2 has taken over my life....

Well except when my girl comes over then i dont need EQ2 hehehe

But other than, the selfcontrol i gain with her around, i still find myself thinking about something ingame related at some point.

EQ2 = nicotine (epic X4 red)