EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-02-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
BRave

He talked about it and then said something like... "How Pathetic! What's next? No need to ever get up from playing...we're gonna hook IV's up to our arms and just keep on playing."
BRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
Coops1

/pizza is a joke
Coops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
Fragzzt

Loremaster

mmmmm pizza... The world's most perfect food!!

Fragzzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Shoot2Wou

General

yeah, i laughed.. but then i remembered i used it a few times. :smileysad:
Shoot2Wou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
Dolf Goodchee

SOE must be loving that primetime free advertising.

Level 26 Alchemist
(Bah, who needs facial hair!)
Dolf Goodchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #6
Pheliac

Loremaster

So /pizza has been mentioned on Jay Leno, cnn and yahoo. That's worth $$ to SOE, and it means more people to group with on my server, and SOE will have more cash to spend on fixing bugs / adding content.

/shrug  I can live with that. Don't see why people are 'leaving the game' because of this. Grow up.

Still want a /[Removed for Content] comand though. :smileywink:
Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
HeiligHangranate

Fansite Staff

I imagine that when telephones were invented, people were saying, "You mean you can call on the phone to order a pizza?  Why that's ridiculous!  In my day, we used to trudge 12 miles through the snow to get our pizza, uphill, both ways!"
Old 03-03-2005, 12:24 AM   #8
Rori

BRavens wrote:He talked about it and then said something like... "How Pathetic! What's next? No need to ever get up from playing...we're gonna hook IV's up to our arms and just keep on playing."
This is part of whats really turned me off from EQ2. Their commercializing the game in a way thats, really inappropriate. I remember when Anarchy Online had Alienware billboards in its cities. People got really upset about them, dunno if they ever patched them out. But /pizza is just bad. Yup the advertising is good for SOE, but basically shows how "bubblegum" the game is how slapstick the community is since... well, no one has a problem with it it seems.
Rori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
Rori

Pheliac wrote:
So /pizza has been mentioned on Jay Leno, cnn and yahoo. That's worth $$ to SOE, and it means more people to group with on my server, and SOE will have more cash to spend on fixing bugs / adding content.
/shrug I can live with that. Don't see why people are 'leaving the game' because of this. Grow up.

Grow up? LOL I've already done that. Maybe the developers and the community could "grow up" and not put such useless commands in the game. Maybe they could be fixing some of the many bugs that plague the game instead of /pizza, /[Removed for Content], /poop commands. Maybe they should actually encourage their player base that real life does count and you should walk away from the computer every now and again.Instead of telling us to grow up, how about getting some perspective. /pizza makes EQ2 look like a joke. But then again, it is now, and Jay Leno proved that.

Message Edited by Rorina on 03-02-2005 11:28 AM

Rori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:34 AM   #10
LordTwist

Rorina wrote:

BRavens wrote:
He talked about it and then said something like...

"How Pathetic! What's next? No need to ever get up from playing...we're gonna hook IV's up to our arms and just keep on playing."

This is part of whats really turned me off from EQ2. Their commercializing the game in a way thats, really inappropriate. I remember when Anarchy Online had Alienware billboards in its cities. People got really upset about them, dunno if they ever patched them out. But /pizza is just bad. Yup the advertising is good for SOE, but basically shows how "bubblegum" the game is how slapstick the community is since... well, no one has a problem with it it seems.

Don't be stupid. They didn't put Pizza hut billboards all over the game, they added a command you never have to see or even acknowledge is there. It's not something that is in your face all the time. It is a gimmick that SOE created and put together for it's customers. I have yet to see any advertising in the game other then the starting loading screen for Dell and Nvida. OMG I run an ATI I'm not going to play this game!!! AAAHHHHHH I'm going to WoW you [Removed for Content]! Shut up and play the game, not the politics. If your going to abandon something due to advertising you might as well dig a hole to live in, but use your hands because this shovel was brought to you be OSH your hardware place. Oh take off you Nikes, and your Levi's don't forget your billabong shirt. You might want to sell your Chevrolet too. If really look at all these items you will see advertising. So get over it, live with it. In fact start your own advertising. I'm am!  I can't wait until they allow us to make guild Logo's in the game! I'[, gonna make a got pizza one just for all these guys that complain about it.
LordTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:37 AM   #11
LordTwist

Rorina wrote:

Pheliac wrote:
/shrug I can live with that. Don't see why people are 'leaving the game' because of this. Grow up.

Grow up? LOL I've already done that. Maybe the developers and the community could "grow up" and not put such useless commands in the game. Maybe they could be fixing some of the many bugs that plague the game instead of /pizza, /[Removed for Content], /poop commands. Maybe they should actually encourage their player base that real life does count and you should walk away from the computer every now and again.

Instead of telling us to grow up, how about getting some perspective. /pizza makes EQ2 look like a joke. But then again, it is now, and Jay Leno proved that.

It probablly took a programer 10 minutes to write the /pizza command. From what I understood it was written back in beta and they just felt why not add it now. They gave us something and you /[Removed for Content] /pooped on them now they may never do something for us again. /cry about it.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:44 AM   #12
Aera

Loremaster

Rorina wrote:

Pheliac wrote:

Grow up? LOL I've already done that. Maybe the developers and the community could "grow up" and not put such useless commands in the game. Maybe they could be fixing some of the many bugs that plague the game instead of /pizza, /[Removed for Content], /poop commands. Maybe they should actually encourage their player base that real life does count and you should walk away from the computer every now and again.

Instead of telling us to grow up, how about getting some perspective. /pizza makes EQ2 look like a joke. But then again, it is now, and Jay Leno proved that.

You obviously need to do it some more.  I'm not trying to single you out, I want to make a point.  Many people treat SOE (or any MMORPG company) as a one-man team.  "They need to do X instead of doing Y."  Does it ever occur to anyone that the EQ2 socials/chat/community team and the marketing people who probably worked with them to implement the /pizza command have absolutey nothing to do with bugs that may have to do with NPCs, graphics, and quests?  Geez.

I can't believe people are getting turned off to this game because of a command that lets you order pizza from in-game.  I also can't believe that people are also getting turned off to this game because the command is getting a lot of attention and, as a result, is getting mocked.   Guys, Leno gets paid to tell jokes and make fun of new news in the world.

Eventually it comes down to this: either play the game, suck it up, and let SOE advertise how they want to advertise, or cancel your account.  [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot]ing on the boards only causes people like me to [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] back.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:08 AM   #13
Kittypoo

Loremaster

Come on people, this is a game.  How many of you used to (or still do) joke about having a chair with cup holders, porta potty and a mini fridge?  I did...it's part of playing a game that never ends. 

/pizza probably started out as that type of joke and the developers or marketing department thought...."Hey, I bet the players would get a kick out of something like this......"  Little did they realise that some of the players have NO freaking sense of HUMOR !!! SMILEY

Oooooh.....an IV....../adds to my Christmas Wish List SMILEY

Old 03-03-2005, 01:14 AM   #14
Shadow_Lo

Rorina wrote:

BRavens wrote:
He talked about it and then said something like...

"How Pathetic! What's next? No need to ever get up from playing...we're gonna hook IV's up to our arms and just keep on playing."

Imagine that a FOR PROFIT company trying to make money off of advertising.  I have to finally say it to all the complainers........If you don't like the game, then don't play it.  I play this, SWG, and WoW.  I enjoy each, because they each are unique in gameplay and services.

These complaints are sometimes too melodramatic.  Not everything is perfect, and don't let a game get you all worked up. 

There are other events that will do that to you ie. watching your bud get blown up by an IED in Iraq.

So take a deep breath......

And order some pizza...............

Shadow (Live from Iraq)

ps We have Pizza Hut over here on post, but they don't deliver unfortunately SMILEY

Shadow_Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:28 AM   #15
44Dragon

Loremaster

Make sure Jay has a copy of the collectors edition.  How cool would it be to have him play from time to time.  I'm pretty sure if he did that he would never run out of joke material.  Then again, who else would get jokes that start off with:

I was hanging out in Black Burrow the other night, when some ranger shouted...

...Pogralien shouts "Will order you a pizza if you group with me!"

44Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:22 AM   #16
Daga

/freebeer

Mmmmm.  Freeee Beeeeerrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!:smileyhappy:

In memory of Grollerdabard
Daga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:37 AM   #17
LordTwist

Pheliac wrote:

/shrug  I can live with that. Don't see why people are 'leaving the game' because of this. Grow up.

While a /[Removed for Content] command could be interesting. Most of these people need a /hookup command, don't think they got their daily crackhead crack hit.

/beer

/doritos

/babysitter

/instagroup

/PGT

/GLS

/Manastone

/instalevel

/macrobotslayer

Old 03-03-2005, 02:42 AM   #18
LordTwist

On another note, I'm not a SOE or Pizza Hut employee but I think everyone for the idea of implemnting these type of idea should use that /pizza command this Friday. You think SOE would get a kick out of finding out there were thousands of /pizza orders placed on Friday. I think Pizza Hut employees might not like it but heck think of the money they will make!

So Everyone for the /pizza type ideas and want SOE to keep comming up with great new ideas like this then Friday night order pizza for dinner useing the /pizza command. Say about 6pm PST  would make most of the west coast home from work, and most of the east coast up and ready for a late night snack? MMMMMMMM PIZZA! Their new trio of Pepperoni sounds good!
Old 03-03-2005, 02:56 AM   #19
JanuHu

I'd like to recommend a few more ideas along this line:

/beer
/chinese
/bath
/laundry
/significantother (something to pass the time while you're stuck in a Tradeskill zone)
/toilet
/breath (you'd be amazed)
JanuHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:59 AM   #20
Coyt

Am I the only one who has had to log off the game to order pizza online for my wife and son on a saturday night ?
I think its kool, as long as we never see in game advertising , I say why not. Some day you will probly appreciate it when one of your group members that has a family that orders pizza once in a while doesnt have to log out to do it and 5 min wait turns in to 30 sec.
We only order pizza maybe once or twice a month but it is usualy on friday or saturday night while im playing. So I say kool idea.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:23 AM   #21
Sass

General

HeiligHangranate wrote:
I imagine that when telephones were invented, people were saying, "You mean you can call on the phone to order a pizza?  Why that's ridiculous!  In my day, we used to trudge 12 miles through the snow to get our pizza, uphill, both ways!"

rofl!! SMILEY
Old 03-03-2005, 03:35 AM   #22
Talo

For any of you who don't watch Cold Pizza in the morning on ESPN2, they talked about the /pizza command during thier headlines update this morning, and last week Cold Pizza had the slash /pizza command on the news crawl along the bottom.

One hundred years from now there will be a documentary on the History channel about how the /pizza command changed the world. :smileytongue:
Old 03-03-2005, 03:53 AM   #23
NocteBla

General

I don't see why people are so upset about this. There isn't any in-game ADVERTISING (like a billboard or talking NPC) for Pizza Hut. It's just a command you enter and you're thrown onto the order site for Pizza Hut. That's it.

Don't like it? Don't use it. You'll never know the difference.

If panties are in a twist because of the tiny little sign on the launchpad describing how /pizza works, well, get over it. Not much sense in putting something like this in and not explaining it. You only look at the launchpad for about 45 seconds anyway, unless it's a patch day.

Think about how many pizzas are consumed while playing EQII or any other MMO - hell, video games in general. It's only natural to a) take away the interruption of gameplay to order food and b) make some money (SOE is a business, you know) by implementing what had to be about 30 seconds of coding an internet shortcut into a in-game command.

If you're the type of person who's going to cancel their account(s) because they added a command involving another company, then good riddance. I would hate to see your posts when the next full expansion come out and they change something else.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:17 AM   #24
Jai

I'm not going to cancel my account, but this, along with seeing the direction they are taking this game and the name "everquest" compared to EQ1, I fear for the future.  With the eqplayers $$, the all access pass for the extra character slot $$, the adventure packs $$, and now the $$ they are raking in by showing our Overlord holding the Pizza Hut goods, it makes me sad and totally wrecks my emmersion.  Seriously, whenever I see lucan now I'm always going to think about him holding out the pizza.  They know the name is worth money and they are doing everything they can to squeeze every cent out of it.  Sure they are out to make $$ but once the focus is completely on that they will lose sight of the game.   I would not be surprised if we started to see ads in the game sometime in the near future... that is the direction they are headed.

I don't think its /pizza in itself that has people all upset... its the direction the game is heading that causes their disappointment.  Personally I still want to see where it's going... but so far it seems pretty obvious.
Jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:17 AM   #25
jennlyle

Loremaster

Call me spoiled, but I actually wish that /pizza or ordering Adventure Packs as add-ons to EQ2 was even easier since SoE's already got our credit card information.  Why not be able to just order items, confirm your user password, and have them billed to the same credit card?  I can see and understand associated security concerns, but if those are adequately addressed, I'd enjoy the convenience.

Oh and for those who missed it...

jennlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:18 AM   #26
LordTwist

NocteBlanc wrote:
I don't see why people are so upset about this. There isn't any in-game ADVERTISING (like a billboard or talking NPC) for Pizza Hut. It's just a command you enter and you're thrown onto the order site for Pizza Hut. That's it.

This is brilliant! I'm logging on and build a ratonga anmed Chuck E'cheese! Or a Ratonga name Micky Mouse and advertise Disney vacation packages..., Oh Oh then a Kerra named Morris and advertise cat food...., Dang I can see all the money I can make now, i'll make a Half elf named Ronald McDonald and give him that cool clown hair, and make him a bard so I can have some of that clown looking armor...This is great, I'm going to go e-bay some advertiseing space on my account. BRB, AFK
Old 03-03-2005, 04:28 AM   #27
Holliday

I don't understand why everybody gets so worked up about it.  If you don't want to use the command, you obviously don't have to, and you will never see it........it doesn't affect you.  For those that do want to use the command, it's a convenience for them.  I haven't used the command...yet, but I'll be glad it's there if I ever decide to.  /shrug
Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:15 AM   #28
LordTwist

Heck with waiting until Friday. I'm useing the /pizza command tomorrow! I call on thee let your voice be heard tonight at 5:30pm PST and order your /pizza let SOE know we are behind them! Don't kill another orc/skeleton/gnoll/centaur/giant or any other roaming mob in Norrath until you have ordered your /pizza go forth forth young man and show them your power!

On a side note, I think everytime you order a large pizza you should get a voucher from /pizza hut to use in game to receive a stack of /pizza being a good midrange level food would be cool. And maybe an occasional rare piece of loot!

Message Edited by LordTwisted on 03-02-2005 04:31 PM

Old 03-03-2005, 05:53 AM   #29
Lonw

/pizza has singlehandedly made EQ2 the laughing stock of the mmorpg community. I was at a lan with soem old EQ1 buddies who now play WoW, and we were comparing games. When they began to use /pizza as a point of ridicule, I had no comeback.Seriously, how sad is a playerbase who NEEDS this command, and the game company that implements it.So has any web comic not made fun of /pizza yet?
Lonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:11 AM   #30
LordTwist

Lonwen wrote:
/pizza has singlehandedly made EQ2 the laughing stock of the mmorpg community.

I was at a lan with soem old EQ1 buddies who now play WoW, and we were comparing games. When they began to use /pizza as a point of ridicule, I had no comeback.

Seriously, how sad is a playerbase who NEEDS this command, and the game company that implements it.

So has any web comic not made fun of /pizza yet?

Yes single handedly? Pizza has no hands you FOOL! Maybe try.

/pizza has singleslicedly? Either way, just because you are not quick at wit does not mean WoW players have the uper hand. Tell them while they are picking up the phone to order pizza and their entire party is wiped out by the big bad mobs because he was AFK talking to some 16 year old pizza flipper, we were slaughtering mass mobs while ordering pizza with the /pizza command.

And i'm sorry but /pizza was not developed out of need, but out of ingenuity. You would laugh a slinky wouldn't you?

And as another point WoW is slightyly better cartoon then Dragons Lair. The playability is there..for atleast a couple months anyways. Everytime I look at a WoW movie I keep waiting for Shrek or Donkey to pop in and make some wise crack. Oh wait. There is a good slam.

WoW player: Heh heh, you like have a /pizza command, how stupid!

EQ2 player: Pixel studios does better graphics then WoW. And you have to call in your pizza!

Message Edited by LordTwisted on 03-02-200505:13 PM

Message Edited by LordTwisted on 03-02-2005 05:13 PM