EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Official News and Announcements
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #31
Boltor3

Loremaster

Rift headstart is the 24th.

Boltor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #32
hellfire

Loremaster

Teshra wrote:

Remann wrote:

Going to have to reschedule my vacation time now.  Well atleast we have heard something.

seriously?? you don't think servers will be coming up and down non-stop those first few days?? more power to ya.

They generally dont for a expantion..where have you been?

Summoner pets are 1/3 the dps of a summoner and yet our stats and modifiers do not affect them.Since a pet is 1/3 a summoners dps,a summoner receives 2/3 benefit from gear when compared to any other class.

SHARED STATS AND MODIFIERS ARE A MUST!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 08!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 09!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 10!

2011 and Finally we are Fixed!

/Rides off into the sunset
hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #33
Balmore

Loremaster

Boltor3 wrote:

Rift headstart is the 24th.

I wonder how this is going to affect EQ2's expansion... It's going to be fun to see how population is going to look like in EQ2. I guess may be returning players would make up for those who left to other things.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #34
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor

Loremaster

So little information of any form has been shared on DoV by $oE I can't say I've maintained any interest in it at all.

So little talk of it in game I'm thinking this will be the first expansion no one is going to rush to get.

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #35
NViDiaFReaK

Loremaster

So much negativity on these boards. I don't understand if its so bad why your still playing. I for one am looking forward to DoV. Are there changes being made I wont like I'm sure , there where changes I didn't like about the last expansion as well. But all in all I'm excited about DoV. I never played EQ1 so its all new to me. I never get the whole its not like I remember it line of thinking, we are 500 years after the 1st game. I'm sure there's lots of things Sony could have should have needed to do that they didn't. But guess what. Speak with your pocket book not your mouths. It does no good to whine and whine about something without doing anything yourself to promote change. I look forward to grinding out 400 more AA's Between my 8 toons. That last bit was sarcasm.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #36
Carpediem
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Azure Skies

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

So much negativity on these boards. I don't understand if its so bad why your still playing. I for one am looking forward to DoV. Are there changes being made I wont like I'm sure , there where changes I didn't like about the last expansion as well. But all in all I'm excited about DoV. I never played EQ1 so its all new to me. I never get the whole its not like I remember it line of thinking, we are 500 years after the 1st game. I'm sure there's lots of things Sony could have should have needed to do that they didn't. But guess what. Speak with your pocket book not your mouths. It does no good to whine and whine about something without doing anything yourself to promote change. I look forward to grinding out 400 more AA's Between my 8 toons. That last bit was sarcasm.

Nature of the beast. Give people something to complain about and they will.

Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:09 AM   #37
desinence

Loremaster

people often continue play due to friendships. Everyone came to EQ2 liking its overall concept and take on mmo's over others, and it is completely reasonable to be disgruntled about detached developers failing to live up to what should be the bare minimum... The overall feel many are getting is that this expansion is being rushed not to mention that it seems like its become a secondary focus to EQ2x and the Marketplace. Everything they seem to focus on now seems to be blatantly screaming for more money and the basics that should be included in an mmo just don't seem to be. I and my friends are expecting to be disappointed by Velious, and at this point, only reason we'll experience it is because TOR hasn't been yet released... This is the mutual feeling for many, whether it be Rift, TOR or another MMO... As it is, Guilds have already lost groups of people to Cataclysm, again, the migrations occur with groups of friends. We would love it if EQ2 would regain is self respect again, we'd definitely stay if it occurred as would many others, but from this past year we are expecting to be less than satisfied with the coming expac. The lack of hype also is heavily disconcerting, making it seem that a) not even the developers have a clue what the final product will look like, or b) the developers have no confidence in what they are producing, or c) all of the above.

So let it be straight, it isn't that we hate eq2, and its not just complaining to complain... its disappointment with EQ2's current direction or lack there of, plain and simple.

desinence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #38
Elwin
Server: Venekor
Guild: Blades of Honor

Loremaster

That's nice you're looking forward to DoV, not a lot of people are.

And as much as you like to view it as negativity I look at it as varying opinions.

And tbh people are speaking with their wallets, people are leaving in droves or hadn't you noticed that through your rose coloured glasses?  

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #39
NViDiaFReaK

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

And as much as you like to view it as negativity I look at it as varying opinions.

And tbh people are speaking with their wallets, people are leaving in droves or hadn't you noticed that through your rose coloured glasses?  

Is that what they call the red tinting on my shades.... /sarcasm off Believe it or not I'm pretty sure smed cash has given the development a bit more leeway in what they do. Is it a good thing remains to be seen. But people need to face that things change. Pricing models change. Our subscription price hasn't gone up in a while now. With inflation we should probably be around 17 and some change. Do I wish we would go back to monthly updates and have things like adventure packs you bet I do. But obviously from a business stand point that wasn't working. We need to work with what we got. I've played this game since launch. I've left for other games but they only hold my attention for so long. I always find my way back here to EQ2. To me that says something. To me there's far more being offered here than elsewhere. We all want to live in a perfect world but we don't. At the end of the day EQ2 is a business and if we want it to stick around then soe has to turn a profit. Its that easy. If they stop making money we stop having EQ2. Do we have to like it no that's our opinion but we should at least except it. The one thing I think above all else that smomejumper needs to do is put his money where his mouth is. Either make good on what he promised and said would be done or admit he was wrong. We where told the reason for no marketing in December was because of cataclysm well were 2 weeks into January cata has launched and we still have no marketing. .. that is fail in my eyes. We as a player base need to know what the projected path for our beloved game is. As far as seeing people leave in droves I haven't really noticed. All the people I know that have left, left because real life happened. Not because of some expansion sucks doomsday prophecy.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 AM   #40
desinence

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Is that what they call the red tinting on my shades.... /sarcasm off Believe it or not I'm pretty sure smed cash has given the development a bit more leeway in what they do. Is it a good thing remains to be seen. But people need to face that things change. Pricing models change. Our subscription price hasn't gone up in a while now. With inflation we should probably be around 17 and some change. Do I wish we would go back to monthly updates and have things like adventure packs you bet I do. But obviously from a business stand point that wasn't working. We need to work with what we got. I've played this game since launch. I've left for other games but they only hold my attention for so long. I always find my way back here to EQ2. To me that says something. To me there's far more being offered here than elsewhere. We all want to live in a perfect world but we don't. At the end of the day EQ2 is a business and if we want it to stick around then soe has to turn a profit. Its that easy. If they stop making money we stop having EQ2. Do we have to like it no that's our opinion but we should at least except it. The one thing I think above all else that smomejumper needs to do is put his money where his mouth is. Either make good on what he promised and said would be done or admit he was wrong. We where told the reason for no marketing in December was because of cataclysm well were 2 weeks into January cata has launched and we still have no marketing. .. that is fail in my eyes. We as a player base need to know what the projected path for our beloved game is. As far as seeing people leave in droves I haven't really noticed. All the people I know that have left, left because real life happened. Not because of some expansion sucks doomsday prophecy.

Its amazing other mmo's can manage on the $15(est.) a month without charging extra for every little feature, most of which should be included... As far as profits, when you calculate everything in, the truth is that making the game profitable is not the goal, but making the game more profitable while costing even less seems to have become SOE's goal. It reminds me of the oil companies that raise fuel prices because of off shore drilling restrictions despite how little fuel actually comes from the U.S. to begin with. Its a B.S. concept. Unfortunately for SOE is its competitors are not doing the same, and in the end, it is they who will profit. EQ2 with all its current money making gimmicks is well on its way to burning itself out. The will make short term progress financially at the price of greater long term profits.

p.s.

the real life excuse works great, no one tries to talk you out of quitting when you use it, its the clean no guilt excuse.

desinence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #41
dawy

Loremaster

Given the sheer lack of any real,new content in the last 12 months i fail utterly to see why some people cling grimly to the belief that the smed bucks is in any way shape or form going directly into this game,words fail me.

And lets be fair if the game was packed out surely merges wouldnt be needed would they?

dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #42
Dessellion4

Loremaster

Don't suppose the delay will give time to do the Splitpaw/Runnyeye merge?  I was getting worried that with a release of 8 Feb we were running out of time.  Asking for downtime seems a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas though.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #43
Mentin

Loremaster

It seems not only the EQ2 development team with Sony is reduced to a skeleton crew, but also the marketing team.

* No sign of the general marketing push promised for January. Or was this postponed because of the DoV delay?

* Very little hype and marketing for DoV.. at this time they would usually be in a carefully phased plan releasing small bits of information and screenshots each 2-3 days to build the suspension.

Launching DoV 2 days before Rift preorders start is what I'll call bad timing - doesn't the EQ2 marketing team keep track of the competitors? Who do you think will lose if players are forced to choose between EQ2 and Rift?

Mentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #44
Valena

Loremaster

Mentin wrote:

It seems not only the EQ2 development team with Sony is reduced to a skeleton crew, but also the marketing team.

* No sign of the general marketing push promised for January. Or was this postponed because of the DoV delay?

* Very little hype and marketing for DoV.. at this time they would usually be in a carefully phased plan releasing small bits of information and screenshots each 2-3 days to build the suspension.

Launching DoV 2 days before Rift preorders start is what I'll call bad timing - doesn't the EQ2 marketing team keep track of the competitors? Who do you think will lose if players are forced to choose between EQ2 and Rift?

I'd have said that the SOE Marketing department either doesn't exist, or is composed of the laziest individuals on the planet due to their total lack of any ads for EQ since 2005. Having said that, they do seem to be actually advertising DCUO so maybe somone has given them a kick recently. Still not holding my breath waiting to see an advert for EQ2 though .. much less ever seeing a box in a shop.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #45
Banerm

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I'd have said that the SOE Marketing department either doesn't exist, or is composed of the laziest individuals on the planet due to their total lack of any ads for EQ since 2005. Having said that, they do seem to be actually advertising DCUO so maybe somone has given them a kick recently. Still not holding my breath waiting to see an advert for EQ2 though .. much less ever seeing a box in a shop.

It seems likely that SOE blew their entire marketing budget for the next 3 years on DCUO. I've seen the commercial for it on every major network during prime-time, which doesn't come cheap. They also are targeting certain demographics (obviously) male 12 - 40 years of age. The most amusing thing was I saw the DCUO commercial and right after it was a commercial for Rift on USA. SOE setup WWE's Monday Night RAW to be sponsored by DCUO as well which falls in line with that same demographic I mentioned earlier. They are giving a Blizzard like push for DCUO but only a banner ad for EQ2 err EQ2X I should say. Sad they won't push their flagship franchise.

Here's the commercial for those who haven't seen it.

DCUO Commercial

I tank therefor I am.
Alistair - EQ2 Paladin
Banerm - EQ2 Guardian
Estavan - EQ2 SK
Goldburg- EQ2 Bruiser

Banerm - WoW Prot Paladin (Retired)
Goldburg - WoW Feral Druid (Retired)

Banerm - EQ Paladin (Retired)

Banerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #46
Kinya
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Runnyeye Raiding Club

Fansite Staff

Mentin wrote:

I just wonder WHY people should bother with buying DoV expansion?

Pre-order date was announced but do we know anything else about this expansion which could build our interest in it?

If you compare news which were posted on everquest2.com site this year, especially last 2 months and posts from december 2009-january 2010, you can clearly see, we had plenty of info given us by Kiara about Sentinel's Fate. She was building players interest in SF  expansion. I remember how I was excited about it. I couldn't wait to see in my own eyes The Hole, Cella or other zones she showed us screenshots or movies. I ordered even collector's edition box from US. There were plenty of Lore posted. People were discussing news about SF on channels, forums.

Now there is silence. Nothing. So why should I order DoV expansion?

I am deeply dissapointed. Maybe I shouldn't, maybe I should expect this since lots of people were saying that "SOE knows how to destroy all". But, well, I had faith in SOE for so many years. Until recently.

Now when I look at everquest2.com I see mostly "new items for Marketplace announcments"...

I miss Kiara.

(Sorry for my english)

http://babagra.pl - Polish Everquest 2 Fansite

Kinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #47
Gisallo
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster

A few quick points. First the bright side. Since DoV is launching the first day of Rift early release, lag and competeing for early quest mobs shouldn't be an issue. Glad to see SOE figured out a way to mask the lag issues that some of the merged servers have been complaining about /wink. As for negativity. People voicing concerns is GOOD. I also wonder how many of these negative people may be in the Beta already but can't say much because of the NDA.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #48
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

I think it's a good move. I always thought the beta was starting too close from release and I really hope this additionnal time will give us a polished expansion.

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #49
Mathafern
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Slege

Loremaster

IMO they just doomed EQ2.   At a guess, at least half my guild will be moving to Rift because of this- whereas previously they would probably have played both games at once.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #50
Brigh

Loremaster

From the YouTube videos of Rift, I don't like the look of it. It looks like an arcade style fantasy game. Why must combos be in my MMOG?

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #51
Wingrider01

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

As you know, we’ve been working hard on the “Destiny of Velious” expansion pack. It was originally scheduled for release on Feb 8th, but after getting feedback from players, spending time playing the game internally, and discussing ways to make things better, we’ve decided to move the release date back to Feb 22nd instead.

Feb 22nd gives us another couple of weeks for polish, tuning, and a honing of the fun factor for the expansion. We think the wait will be well worthwhile.

Check EverQuest2.com for the announcement on pre-order dates! And also stay tuned for an announcement about a raft of cool events coming out in the week after DoV becomes available!

On a side note, we’ll be adding another batch of players into the Closed Beta on Jan 24th, so if you put in an application and haven’t been accepted yet, don’t give up yet. Your time may be coming!

Yeah....good call giving 3 weeks to beta test it. It's cool though...it's not like we've had a single piece of new content in a year anyway. There is no way I am going to pre order an expansion without beta testing it first. From what I've heard (by the way the NDA is dumb), there is a lot of stuff that needs to be dumbed and started over. 

Good Job 

You really have no clue how long it has been in closed unannounced beta - if someone said anythng it would be a violation of that "dumb nda" that you are complaing about. Besides there is not a application in existance that does not have a form of a NDA when it is in testing - so every company has a "dumb nda"

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #52
Mathafern

Loremaster

Personally I was planning on using the time between the 11th (initial scheduled Velious) and the 24th (Rift early launch) to try out Velious and see if it was worth sticking around for.

Now there's no reason for me to do that.

I think this was poor strategy on SOE's part.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #53
Mathafern

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

From the YouTube videos of Rift, I don't like the look of it. It looks like an arcade style fantasy game. Why must combos be in my MMOG?

If you think there aren't combos in EQ2, you're not playing right.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #54
Banditman

Loremaster

If the delay is done for the right reasons, it can be a good thing.  That's all I can say.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #55
Gisallo
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster

Well if I was to be overly cynical I would say this. That the push back of release is intentional and only partially to fix bugs. Look at the following. Pushing back launch allows them to extend the duration of the NDA without appearing arbitrary. This gives them more time to get blind faith preorders due to the fact that the preorders are being released way late. More preorders mean more people saying either saying "heck I bought the thing I might as well sub" or just simply a box sale regardless of the actual success of DoV. Doing otherwise they run the risk of negative feedback breaking lose on the forums prior to the preorder and with Rift launching soon after they can't bank on lots of people saying "well its either this or WoW" as they have in the past. Like I said, cynical yes, but this is at least as likely as reason for this action I think.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #56
JoarAddam

Loremaster

clicking the Join the discussion buttons at the bottom of the annoncement takes you to the forums page the discussion is on ... http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=493709

You're Your

They're There Their
JoarAddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #57
Katey
Server: Blackburrow
Guild: Kindred Souls

Loremaster

Yep, and I've already pre-ordered Rift.  There's really no Rush to get moving along in EQII when the expansion comes out, we aren't getting new levels from what I heard so it's a matter of seeing the new content which I personally would rather have more polished than full of bugs.  Those of us that play EQII ALL the time would prefer less downtime and you get that from having fewer bugs and a more polished product.  I'm happy to wait as long as needed.  I will admit that I will be playing Rift for early release but after that I will be playing EQII in the days and Rift at night or at least trying to balance my play time.  I truly love EQII and while I am super excited over playing Rift I would never dream of giving up my EQII.  I would be thrilled if EQII got some graphics upgrades but I don't see that taking place.  

Count me in for a pre-order no matter what date it's been changed to and keep up the great work Devs!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #58
Blakkmantis
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Imperial Dragons

Loremaster

Great call SOE!  I'd rather wait weeks, months, than buy an expack that wasn't polished, or complete.  Glad you guys didn't cave in to the pressure of releasing something you think you still got more work to do on it.

Thanks for giving us the heads up.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #59
isest

Loremaster

Banerm wrote:

http://everquest2.com/news/read/current/3817

Above is the news on Velious, you can also find it on eq2.zam.com however I saw no information in the forums.

What do you guys think? Will the delay help or hurt the expansion? The scheduled release will be 1 week before Rift is launched, will this effect expansion sales?

With the beta being out longer one would hope more bugs will be fixed, however not adding more people to the beta until Jan. 28th seems to cut into test time in my opinion. Also the overall moral of the customer base seems poor currently, at least from the general attitude on the forums, then again not receiving feedback does that to people.

Any thoughts on this announcement?

EDIT:

I just saw the announcement thread started by Smokejumper, but I will leave this one here to voice their concerns, comments etc.

I been somewhat concerned about the xpac for a while. I know were getting flying mounts, and thetas all I know. I hope this gives them time to work out whatever bugs are still left with it.

I don't understand why folks want to go to rift, I done all 4 beta's and I have to say I hated rift.  So I will be staying here. However we lost two guild mates to rift this week that and a laundry list of concerns that had been building for years.

I just hope we get some more info on the xpac soon.  I.E.  How much does it cost, Is this going to be digital only or will there be a collectors edition. I think Amnery's post said next Tuesday.

Also what can we expect. I.E. quests, zones, item progression.  This time last year I already had my pre order in for the xpac.  I hope we get it right this time.  The item progression in this xpac actually went backwards for stats and resists on items, I am hoping that we reverse that trend and get back to making our toons better, and possibly lowering the amount of seals, and marks needed to get stuff.

Right now I am frustrated,  but not to the point of playing a wow/war-hammer clone called rift.

isest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #60
juggalo0385

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

IMO they just doomed EQ2.   At a guess, at least half my guild will be moving to Rift because of this- whereas previously they would probably have played both games at once.

why are you acting like setting Velious back a couple weeks will doom EQ2 learn how to be patient.  They are prolly fixing some last minute bugs anyway.  So its actually for the better that they moved it back