EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
Squigglle

Loremaster

????
Old 05-08-2006, 01:50 AM   #2
littleli

Assassins are an in your face type toon. They have some good DPS and are usually number 1 on all the DPS lists. Rangers are just that ranged toons. Rangers do have some close in combat moves but we are usually at maxed ranged to let our bows talk for us. But I would have to say if your looking at getting into a guild and raiding all the time. Assassins are your best bet because they can out DPS most rangers raids like that.
littleli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
USAFJeeper

Loremaster

Rangers can raid outside of AEs and watch Assasins have to jockey a lot more SMILEY

Old 05-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
Stormwolf86

Loremaster

The REAL difference is that rangers pwn assassins in the face, how is it that everyone says assassins beat rangers in dps? I dont see it on my server at all, i myself am almost always top of my raid parser even with some of the best summoners and wizards ive ever seen, no assassins have ever consistantly beat me on the parser, ever.
Stormwolf86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Gareorn

Loremaster

And...  Assassins smell bad too.:smileytongue:
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Jowita

Loremaster

But they taste so f*cking good!

*apologizes profusely for the unintended derailment*

Jowita
Old 05-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
Jay

General

ROFL, [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn], that's funny.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Jayad

Loremaster

The difference is...

... we pay a lot of gold to do inferior dps SMILEY

Jayad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
Stormwolf86

Loremaster

If by inferior u mean top of the parser almost every single time, then yea, we do, what is you guys' problem? Do u not weave and joust to maximize your dps? It's pathetic to see fellow rangers giving up to assassins...
Old 05-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
USAFJeeper

Loremaster

Stormwolf86 wrote:
If by inferior u mean top of the parser almost every single time, then yea, we do, what is you guys' problem? Do u not weave and joust to maximize your dps? It's pathetic to see fellow rangers giving up to assassins...

Your right.  None of us playing our ranger since day 1 has any clue of how to play and we bow to your superior knowledge.  And we bow to the assassins you raid with who clearly need to reroll as a templar.

/sarc off

Old 05-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #11
Blarth

Loremaster

Ive raided with some funktarded assassins before and let me tell you, only a really good assassin should be able to out dps you in raid. Assassins have to be right next to the mob to be the most effective. Only on mobs that have no AE will an assassin be at its most effective. As a ranger I just sit at max range, avoiding the AE and not having to worry about jousting the mob like all melee classes do. I put out a pretty steady dps. The bad assassins ive met get yelled at to avoid the AE but those are just funktards. Assassins will be most effective in group becasue many of the mobs that are ment for groups have no strong AE and they are able to get right next to the mob the entire fight. In group Assassins will easily be able to out dps you. In my opinion its mostly becasue of casting timers. Assassins have short casting timers compared to rangers who are waiting for their CA to go off.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:14 AM   #12
massem

Assassins do uber DPS, Rangers do uber whining :smileyhappy:

massem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:20 AM   #13
Jayad

Loremaster

What do you consider "top of the parser", 700 dps?  Our assassin will parse higher than me every time on raids, unless he's not trying.  Many people have posted parse results.  The only time I will win is when there is an AE that goes often very often (not every minute) or Rain is up on a large group.  Although even then it's close.

If you are breaking 1200 dps on a regular basis I'd like to know how you do it, because I can't get to that but the assassin can (without uber buffs/procs, as he is usually in the MT group).  We are not an uber raiding guild so I don't have top shelf gear yet.

Jayad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:28 AM   #14
Prandtl

Loremaster

*yawn*

not another ranger vs assassin thread?

Only reason I read these is to see if Masseman chimes in with another nice troll on the ranger boards.  I am seldom dissappointed, but then again I don't ask for much

Prandtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:30 AM   #15
kidpaul

Loremaster

Please people no need to bad mouth either the assassin or rangers the original question is being lost here.I would say assassins are the heavy dmg dealers from upclose/meleeing behind or flanking the mob while rangers is the duhh the ranged heavy dmg dealer from behind or flanking the mob. assassins has most of it's CA's concentrated in the melee section with a few ranged while the ranger of course has his CA's concentrated in the ranged section with a few melee.Haven't had much experience with my friends assassin but I would dare to say that I found the ranger easier to solo with atleast but then again I have been kiting for five years. since I'm no expert on assassin or have logged that many hours with that class I cant say if he is bad or good but he is consistant dps atleast in my eyes even thou upclose it can be pretty dangerous when the mob is using lots of AE's. hits hard but somewhat slow that was my experience ohh and only got pre LU20 experience with assassins.And yes we rangers do alot of whining.
kidpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #16
Stormwolf86

Loremaster

Now hold up a second, im not saying you all are noobs, nor am i saying i am a god of dps, but what i am saying, and what i keep hearing, is these 2 things that irk me... an assassin does more dmg than a ranger all the time? False, at least in my case, i parse 1100-1300dps almost every named fight, lab, lyceum, deathtoll, all that  high end stuff, and here is the second... "i just sit back and max range".... there is your problem, if u just sit there and max range u are NOT maximizing dps, if u weave/joust u will maximize your dps, if the mob has an ae, u should be weaving almost as much as the assassin is and i GUARENTEE u will increase your dps by a ton, TRY it before you think im kidding or dont know what im talking about, just saying, assassins cant beat me, the good ones can l keep up, but never beat me consistantly
Old 05-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #17
Saihung23

Loremaster

Stormwolf86 wrote:
Now hold up a second, im not saying you all are noobs, nor am i saying i am a god of dps, but what i am saying, and what i keep hearing, is these 2 things that irk me... an assassin does more dmg than a ranger all the time? False, at least in my case, i parse 1100-1300dps almost every named fight, lab, lyceum, deathtoll, all that  high end stuff, and here is the second... "i just sit back and max range".... there is your problem, if u just sit there and max range u are NOT maximizing dps, if u weave/joust u will maximize your dps, if the mob has an ae, u should be weaving almost as much as the assassin is and i GUARENTEE u will increase your dps by a ton, TRY it before you think im kidding or dont know what im talking about, just saying, assassins cant beat me, the good ones can l keep up, but never beat me consistantly

Is this what the OP was interested in?  Cripes I hope not [Removed for Content].

I think they just wanted to know the fundamental differences between rangers and assassins...which has nothing to do with "rangers are uber whiners"  "only noobs let assassins out dps them" or what your parses for being a ranger or assassin are...

It doesnt even have anything to do with assassins smelling bad (that is a by product of life in Freeport in any case, not the assassins fault).

But hey, if the op wants to read this, then you guys are doing them a great favor.  Otherwise I think the who is uberererist arguments should just be in another thread or even PM's.

What do I know though :smileyindifferent: (other than Freeport smells like a hoagie)

Saihung

Old 05-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #18
Jay

General

Okay, everyone got their [Removed for Content] on? Good, good. I'm sure this is exactly what the OP was interested in.

Leaving the posturing and trolls aside, the fundamental differences b/w the two predator classes as I understand them:

• Rangers do most of their damage via ranged attacks; assassins do it through melee attacks.
  • Thus, assassins have more stealth / flanking backstab attacks, and rangers have more ranged CAs.
  • Rangers are good-aligned, assassins evil.
  • Rangers have a little bit of elemental damage thrown in for extra flavor; with assassins, it's poison and disease, IIRC.
  • Assassins CAs generally hit harder but take longer to refresh.
  • Rangers only self-buff AGI; assassins self-buff STR and AGI.
  • Assassins have an aggro redirect that they can put on the MT, while Rangers have a constant hate reducer that minimizes their aggro gain by up to 40% or so.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #19
Star

Loremaster

Jay42 wrote:

Okay, everyone got their [Removed for Content] on? Good, good. I'm sure this is exactly what the OP was interested in.

Leaving the posturing and trolls aside, the fundamental differences b/w the two predator classes as I understand them:

• Rangers do most of their damage via ranged attacks; assassins do it through melee attacks.
  • Thus, assassins have more stealth / flanking backstab attacks, and rangers have more ranged CAs.
  • Rangers are good-aligned, assassins evil.
  • Rangers have a little bit of elemental damage thrown in for extra flavor; with assassins, it's poison and disease, IIRC.
  • Assassins CAs generally hit harder but take longer to refresh.
  • Rangers only self-buff AGI; assassins self-buff STR and AGI.
  • Assassins have an aggro redirect that they can put on the MT, while Rangers have a constant hate reducer that minimizes their aggro gain by up to 40% or so.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Jay knows his EQ2. The only thing that I can think off that you missed... Rangers get a haste buff where as the Assassin gets a DPS buff.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #20
Madmoon

Loremaster

Minus the goobers above the last couple of posts, the only thing to add that hasn't been well said is the RP aspect.  Rangers are lone huntsmen/women who defend Qeynos and Nature and are more at home in the wilderness than in a city.  They are noble scouts who work equally well with a bow as a sword.

Assassins are just that - evil, hired killers, who strike from the shadows with devastating effect.  They are more likely to use melee skills, and only rarely a bow.  Once an assassin has been put on your trail, you better get him or her before they get you! :smileymad:

Madmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #21
Saihung23

Loremaster

jwmaynar wrote:

Jay knows his EQ2. The only thing that I can think off that you missed... Rangers get a haste buff where as the Assassin gets a DPS buff.

know I have honed relflexes from Bloodlines, but I thought I had a skill called Brutal instinct that buffed my DPS by like 60% for 36 seconds?

I have no idea what Assassins get like that but...I am positive now that I have a dps buff. 

Also, I know its lunchtime and all, but I think a freeporter is in my building right now!  I smell hoagies and keep hearing steps behind me.

Saihung

I

Old 05-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #22
Star

Loremaster

I just ment the 'always on' buffs both classes get. We do get killing instinct (DPS buff). They get a similar spell that buffs their DPS and melee skill. And we both get Honed Reflexes as I believe that is a Scout Spell.

*think think* For the always on buffs we get Cloak of the Forest line which has built in Haste. Assassins have Fiendish Villany (I'm using the T7 spells to, these are of course lines of spells that go back to a degree) It's buffs AGI and gives a DPS buff. And I actually dun't see a self STR buff in the assassin line, but I just skimmed the list on ogaming. SMILEY

Message Edited by jwmaynar on 05-10-2006 09:26 AM

Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #23
Jay

General

jwmaynar wrote:
I just ment the 'always on' buffs both classes get. We do get killing instinct (DPS buff). They get a similar spell that buffs their DPS and melee skill. And we both get Honed Reflexes as I believe that is a Scout Spell.

*think think* For the always on buffs we get Cloak of the Forest line which has built in Haste. Assassins have Fiendish Villany (I'm using the T7 spells to, these are of course lines of spells that go back to a degree) It's buffs AGI and gives a DPS buff. And I actually dun't see a self STR buff in the assassin line, but I just skimmed the list on ogaming. SMILEY

Message Edited by jwmaynar on 05-10-2006 09:26 AM

Aye, we do have an always-on haste buff, and I'll defer to you on the DPS buff for assassins. Good point there.

I may have been wrong about the STR buff for assassins...could have been thinking of rogues (who I *know* get one) instead. My bad!

Old 05-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #24
StealthM0

General

Observations from one who plays BOTH a ranger and an assassin...

Now to be fair I just started my assassin a week ago. He's level 18 atm. My ranger on the other hand is 65.

From what I can see so far in tier 2, assassins can kill much faster then a ranger. But they don't take a hit as well as a ranger.

Thats it in a nutshell. Both toons have great gear/adept 3-masters. But I remember struggling in battles a lot more on my ranger then my assassin (it also may be that SoE dumbed the content down THAT much since last may/june when my ranger was in tier2).

In closing, we use the same skills basically, to achieve the same ends. The only huge difference is assassins get a LOT more melee dps dmg doing ca's. Whereas rangers get more ranged dps dmg doing ca's. But let their be no mistake, the assassin has the most powerful ca's. That tier 5 spell assassinate (for assassins). Rangers dont get ANYTHING near that until level 58 (sniper shot). So yes respect your evil cousins, they can do mega-dps.
FIX THE RANGER MYTHICAL IN 09! DEVZ KNOW ITS BROKE, GMs KNOW ITS BROKE, SO WHY IS IT STILL BROKE?!? FIX REPEATING ARROWS, AND OUR OTHER BROKEN CA'S! AND READD BY PRODUCT INGOTS, OR REMOVE BY PRODUCT DUSTS!
StealthM0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #25
Star

Loremaster

Oh yeah, rogues get a super self STR buff.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #26
Fa1cor

Loremaster

when i group with a ranger i love to put my hate reducer on them instead of the main tank. they have a hard enough time keeping aggro off them, this makes em work instead of just stand around shooting arrows :smileyvery-happy:

pppst 60s Assassin :smileywink:

Message Edited by Fa1cor on 05-15-2006 07:23 AM

Message Edited by Fa1cor on 05-15-2006 07:50 AM

Fa1cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:53 PM   #27
Ranvarenaya

Loremaster

To add to what Kaeros posted, IMO the big differences between Ranger and Assassin as far as how each class works are as follows:Rangers are mostly ranged, Assassins are mostly melee, but each get some of the other.Rangers self-haste and have an offensive stance proc from ranged, Assassins self-buff dps and proc from melee.Rangers have a standing hate reduction, Assassins transfer their hate directly to someone.Rangers' hardest hitting arts are from ranged, and have 3 to 5 second cast times, Assassins' hardest hitting arts are from melee and have cast times less than 1 second.If Assassins out-damage Rangers, it is often due to these last 2 differences.  Hate transfer makes them a candidate for a buffed-up stacked tank group, where a Ranger may get placed in a group with no procs, haste, or dps buff.  Assassinate hits for the same damage and has the same recast as Sniper shot, but takes .5 seconds to cast (afaik) compared to 5 seconds for Sniper shot.  If each hits for 10k on a debuffed mob, the assassin gets a huge dps spike from that art while the spike to Ranger dps over that 5 second spann is not nearly as impressive.
Zorathustra 59 Conjuror, 69 Sage
Astarte 43 Mystic, 60 Jeweler
Nevazar 33 Wizard, 62 Alchemist
Ranvarenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 AM   #28
Rahmn

Loremaster

Assassins are dirty, stinking, rotten, lowdown, backstabbing, love to hit it from the back type guys.  While we rangers are the clean cut, woodsy, well dressed, standoffish, love to hit if from the back type guys.  We rangers have also been know to throw our own feces at mobs.

Merry Christmas!!!
Rahmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #29
x82nd77

Loremaster

How do they compare solo wise?  I know rangers used to be the clear winner but after the nerfing this year where do they stand vs each other?  I know neither are the "best" soloer but I want a good scout to solo with. I just cant see myself as a [Removed for Content] pirate (sorry the feather in the hat screams queen) or a Brigand, which  to be honest I never had heard of before EQ2. 
x82nd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #30
SIlly Muffin

Loremaster

Just to add my .02

Solo: Rangers and [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] can both solo. Having played both (70RA, 40 AS); they actually have a similar styles in the fact they ar every combination oriented. The big difference is assasins can front load AND maintain a decent DPS as teh fight closes top melee. In contrast, Rangers can also front load well yet for them a good front load is CRITICAL. SInce Rangers are less melee oriented they need to go into the fight with a good advantage. Assasin melee is about stun/cloak/stab combos ranger is similar with stun/run/shoot.

Group. Assassins can POUR out the dps especially single target mobs. As other posters have mentioned their recasts are very fast compared to rangers. Yet they are very vunerable to AEs and aggro transfer. Rangers dont get as much DPS but we can dish it with abit more variety. We have some great high end AoE/group attacks. Plus while the ranger timers are lower the pacing is better. Jousting is  MUST to maximize DPS - inded dgiven the slow timers its almost a natural thing to do  even if it is just to sneak in with a stab/debuff or race-based attack (giant slay etc) .    

Tips on maximizing Ranger DPS

1) get those master I/Adepst III - yes! I know they are ridicolously overpriced compared to other classes - Most high DPS assassisn have a top aquality spells. A 65 assassin with master adept IIIs can easily out DPS a 70 ranger with Adept Is.

2) Use proc weapons - Goes without saying; yes sadly many people woudl rather have the 39.9 dps sword  versus a 38.7 one with a 50 point 10 % proc

3) POISONS: Dont skimp!! Use the best affordable posion for your tier. It can make a TREMENDOSU difference. I went from 450-550 to 650-750 just by going from Adeste's to caustic Poison. 

4) Arrows; This is still a cloudy area cost wise. Some ranger swear by high end arrows others use cheap store bought ones. The general consesus seems to be CAs dont care which arrows you use - defaut attacks do. Personally i have found a slightly better DPS using pulled arrows vs cheap store bought.

5) Use your stances!! and dont be afraid to switch mid-battle

general hints

Position: be aware of positioning/flanking. Not every tank will remember to turn mobs. Since many rangers are a bit father back in some raids /zones it can be hard to see the mobs and positions. Nothing will hit ranger DPS as badly as losing the LoS or the inability to use a rear/flank attack.  Assassins are usually up close and can respond a bit faster.

Uresolved issues

AGI/STR - It seems every ranger has a preference. There is still some debate flying about which is better and how it affects your armour and to hit chances. I prefer AGI on my ranger STR on my assassin

Armour: I have seen every combination of leather/chain on rangers. The effects/stats and mit can vary teremendously - some folk sgo all out for chain mit other swear by leather stats.  

feel free to add your own.

SM

SIlly Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote