EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #91
xandez

Loremaster

yup, lets face it. The PvP is what brought us down. I can clearly understand that too, but they really couldnt make it in some another way?sniff++Xan

xandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #92
Dragonsword

Loremaster

Merkades wrote: I have never had a poison last 12 hours, mostly because I don't just sit around online crafting/harvesting/doing nothing.I extremely dislike Woodworkers and Alchemists.. and all tradeskillers, that is all.Merkades, 70th Ranger.Siege, Najena.
I dont sit around crafting either, I do one or 2 levels a night ususally making arrows for my ranger, Dont understand why you would say you "DISLIKE" Woodworkers or Alchemists, you get good ones you get bad ones, same as any other tradeskill, or adventure class, or player.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #93
Teksun

Loremaster

Rangers: First one in. Last one standing.I love it...Usually because we have revived and are back at the zone line when the rest of the guild wipes SMILEY

Nerf the Hobbits
Teksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:03 AM   #94
duranvaer

Loremaster

Message Edited by duranvaer on 10-11-2006 01:04 PM

duranvaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #95
TerriBlades

Loremaster

Dragonsword20 wrote:

I dont sit around crafting either, I do one or 2 levels a night ususally making arrows for my ranger, Dont understand why you would say you "DISLIKE" Woodworkers or Alchemists, you get good ones you get bad ones, same as any other tradeskill, or adventure class, or player.

Just a guess here, and not to speak for him or anything, but it might have to do with the "markup" prices that TSers sell their wares. Seeing as how I've been remembering the days of old.... Anyone recall at lauch that the richest players on the servers used to be Alchys for their overpriced washes/resins/tempers?

I really dont have any issues with crafter that want to make money, but if it costs you 6g (if theres a t7 alchy around please correct my numbers) to make a Mastercrafted poison, and I believe if its pristine you get 4 vials, and you sell each vial for 6g, you're prolly overpriced. Yeah I know, that isnt including any of the raws used to make it, and its not including any of the rare dust?!? (cant recall their name off the top of my head) But alchys make fighter CAs as well, so not all of the dust is being purchased off the broker. Before the crafting revamp, overprices crafting stuff prolly seemed about right for a lot of ppl, due to how long and tedious things used to be, but these days, its a joke to make anything, so over charging for any player crafted items just seems silly.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:06 AM   #96
Wildian

Loremaster

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but my biggest concern as a ranger is arrows and the costs associated with them. No other class gets charged for the dps they deal out, which in effect is what is happening here. Yes we can melee, but nowhere near as effective as our ranged hits. I burn through 60-70g on a labs or lyceaum trash run easy, and thats using merchant arrows at almost 7s each. If I use player made ones the cost goes up substantially. Thats just on one run... So if I do anything else during the day, it's safe to say I pay a plat a day to be a ranger just in consumable ammo. No other class has to do anything else close to that to be effective. Yes.. other classes use ammo, but not anywhere near the extent we do. At the very least woodworkers should produce more arrows per combine to bring the price down some.

More bow drops and quest rewards would also be nice as well, but lets get the price of arrows to a more reasonable rate please.

Xariack
70 Ranger / 70 Jeweler
Befallen
Wildian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 AM   #97
Recca[BK]

Loremaster

im a 70 alchy. rare poisons imo shouldnt cost more than 2.5g each for the time being. the dust required is still pretty plentiful on my server. but as for a pric break down

10-12 gp for the dust
raws are zero cost really take 1 root 1 azurite and 1 loam (the roots can cost like 30 silver but the others i find sell for 2 cp)
fuel take 4 flamewrought candels (35 each) so just round it up to 2gp the fuels reqs have been changed 3 times

so 12-14 gp to make 10 vials of poison.
if you charge 2gp each its a small profit but i can make 200 fairly quickly so its really a volume market imo.
i think 2.5gp is more than fair, but there are server undercutters on my server now forcing me to sell cheaper.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:11 AM   #98
Gerdos

Loremaster

I use ProphetUI, and last night i noticed that it does not show my double attack bonus at 10% (taking the AA multiple shot line - final rank).

Is this only a display bug, found only in ProphetUI?  I didn't take a log, so unable to check it, but, can someone confirm that double attack, currently works as intended for rangers?

Gerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #99
gfx

General

Teksun wrote:
It's easy. They hate us cuz they play on PVP servers...
lol please don't say that until you have actually stepped foot on a PvP server.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #100
FiveFootStep

Loremaster

That UI only shows your melee double atk, rangers are working right... ish SMILEY
FiveFootStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #101
Vifarc

Loremaster

Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #102
HighlandsDrift

General

trap seems to be bugged atm..disapears after setting
HighlandsDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #103
Ultharandor

Loremaster

I'm really sorry butIs anybody reworking our lists of information.It is good that this is a sticky but I see very old information in it
Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #104
feldon30

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:
I'm really sorry butIs anybody reworking our lists of information.It is good that this is a sticky but I see very old information in it
These items on that list still apply.- Heroic Opportunities are useless for Rangers. My 2 starters for HOs as a Ranger are a persistent buff and a melee attack.- Master Strike (Lore & Legend) still requires a backstab.- There's still a lack of ranger loot.- Focus Fire is still useless. What ranger knows exactly when to press this button since they'll only get 10 seconds use out of it? I have tried repeatedly to explain to tanks and other group members to please let me know 10 seconds before they are going to start so I can fire off my 3 short term buffs. I gave up and these buttons never get pressed. Unless you are on Ventrilo or have a psychic link to your main tank, there's no way to know exactly when battle will commence.Some things are better:- Echoes of Faydwer improved things for rangers with more ranger loot and the Rain Caller lvl 57 bow (Casualties of the War of the Fay HQ). Still would like to see more longbows.The issues raised later in the thread such as Combat Arts consuming thousands of arrows a night was apparently changed a long time ago. Although apparently it was changed BACK around the time of Kunark according to a ranger friend who has stopped playing because of this crap, once again being a Ranger costs 50g-1pp a night to do the same damage a Wizard does for free.The issue brought up later about the loams costing 2-3 plat has been reduced. Now they go for 50-75 gold. The Adept IIIs for Rangers at level 50-80 is still 2-3 times the price of Adept IIIs for Wizards. But I guess that is the nature of the beast.There have been a lot of agro and targeting changes over the past year. It is now much easier (unfortunately) for a ranger to get agro. Also Miracle Arrow is now just another ranged attack instead of a truly miracle shot. Because of pathing/elevation problems in these progressively more complicated zones, rangers and conjurers both get a lot of "Can't see Target" garbage.Finally, Stream of Arrows is still a pain. If we get agro, we are helpless for 30 seconds, standing there dumb and doing nothing. Which is stupid because rangers do have an AA "Point Blank Shot". So if we can fire an arrow from 12 inches away then, why can we not do it during Stream of Arrows? Personally, I would rather Stream of Arrows break if we hold agro for more than 5 seconds. Anything is better than SoA being a potential deathtrap for a ranger.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #105
Baish

Lord

feldon30 wrote:
Finally, Stream of Arrows is still a pain. If we get agro, we are helpless for 30 seconds, standing there dumb and doing nothing. Which is stupid because rangers do have an AA "Point Blank Shot". So if we can fire an arrow from 12 inches away then, why can we not do it during Stream of Arrows? Personally, I would rather Stream of Arrows break if we hold agro for more than 5 seconds. Anything is better than SoA being a potential deathtrap for a ranger.
Stream of Arrows and it's upgrades can be canceled can't they?  The description says... "Fires a steady stream of arrows at a target. To maintain this effect, the ranger forgoes normal ranged attacks and combat arts and must be rooted in place, and it requires that the target be outside the melee range. This ability can be toggled to end early if needed." So idk if you didn't know that you could cancel it or maybe your point is that you might lose dps if you have to cancel it? Idk just figured i'd say that just incase you didn't read the ability description lol.
Baish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #106
Yonaton

Loremaster

Dragonsword wrote:
There are several things I would dissagree with. Without flaming anyone.From my understanding of a ranger they are both deadly with a bow, and in melee combat. Taking out AGI for INT, to me seems like a bad idea as a rangers attack and defence is supposed to be in their speed, and ability to parry.

Message Edited by Dragonsword20 on 10-10-2006 03:15 AM

This right off,I disagree with respectfully. As it sits now,Rangers AREN'T deadly in Melee combat on pvp servers. In pvp,Rangers have no incombat runspeed anymore. Typical scenario:

You track someone up,attack a solo player yourself. You fire off your back attack,or maybe both,instant incombat runspeed to zero. During this time however,your enemy isn't sitting still. He's moving within range(as he still has his out of combat runspeed),and if he's a melee class,you are dead. Your bow is effectively useless. You have point blank shot,but that's it. Your melee combat arts DO NOT deal dmg like an assassin. So,in other words,once they close the gap you are a [Removed for Content].

Never mind that a clothie can chain you down and nuke you to death. Auto bow attacks will do nothing,and your multi arrow attacks aren't that good anymore. A simple potion pop and they've eaten up your dps and got you. And forget about druid classes,lol.

PVE is just as bad. Rangers need some dps close in,and we are sorely lacking there. Poison? Pffft. Poison isn't going to make you as a Ranger,not when your one big back attack in melee does 700 dmg(thereabouts) at lvl 27. If you don't bring help,you might as well not go out at all.

The arrow and poison situation I can live with. Honestly on Vox it's not so bad. The loams aren't really that pricey for us lower tier. I do understand that at the higher tiers they can put a hole in your money bags tho. Having a woodworker myself to supply my two with arrows,and selling some on the side,I know for a fact Rangers run through a mass quantity. 1500 arrows? Lol. I can craft that many up and have em sold before the broker cools down. Go back and do another. Sell for 1 gold a 100. Day in day out.

I wanted to play a ranger because it's a cool class. I don't want to play an Assassin so I can have a "dps Ranger" or a "melee" Ranger. Rangers need to be able to protect themselves close in too. As it stands now,with no way to put distance between you and an enemy in pvp,you might as well forget it.

Yonaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #107
Selfea

Loremaster

Yonaton wrote:
 As it stands now,with no way to put distance between you and an enemy in pvp,you might as well forget it.

Which is precisely why I have never understood why EQ2 rangers have no way to root and enemy in place. If we suck at melee distance, but we can't (in solo combat) keep an enemy at range distance we're stuffed. And since we can't use our ranged abilities whilst moving (ie kiting) because we get "interupted" we're really pretty stuffed to try and take anything of any use down solo.

That's the one complaint I do have about rangers; their lack of soloability. Really, when half the time you die trying to solo gray ^, ^^, or ^^^ mobs, makes you wonder why you bother.

I've played other MMOs and I always play a ranger, and EQ2 is the first time I've encountered a class that either can't root a mob, or can't fire abilities off whilst moving.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #108
Gisallo
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster

Selfea wrote:
Yonaton wrote:
 As it stands now,with no way to put distance between you and an enemy in pvp,you might as well forget it.

Which is precisely why I have never understood why EQ2 rangers have no way to root and enemy in place. If we suck at melee distance, but we can't (in solo combat) keep an enemy at range distance we're stuffed. And since we can't use our ranged abilities whilst moving (ie kiting) because we get "interupted" we're really pretty stuffed to try and take anything of any use down solo.

That's the one complaint I do have about rangers; their lack of soloability. Really, when half the time you die trying to solo gray ^, ^^, or ^^^ mobs, makes you wonder why you bother.

I've played other MMOs and I always play a ranger, and EQ2 is the first time I've encountered a class that either can't root a mob, or can't fire abilities off whilst moving.

In PvE  (can't speak to PvP) Rangers are actually better in solo than other scouts in my expereince.  First we do have a root, its called trap.  Does it mean you have to wait, be patient, lay it out and then pull back a bit?  Yeah but its there and it works.  After that you can Leg Shot him into near immobility (main reason I took it as my Master II with my Developement tree 75% movement reduction).  It doesn't do a lot of damage, but it recharges quick, especially if you keep adding to it in your AA tree so you can be keeping the guy at 75% for the whole fight since every other shot is going to be leg shot.  I actually run into the problem of having to let him get close enough for some of my longer range HtH abilities because I am waiting for bow attacks to recharge.  All of this makes a Ranger pretty survivable as a solo character as opposed to other Scouts.  But thats why one of your HtH attacks has a root component.  Knock him down with Point blank, smack him with the Root HtH attack back up; Leg Shot, wash rinse repeat.

Now in a group Rangers are a mess.  You're not kiting so its ALL about DPS.  There Rangers have issues, even swashies at this point can out Parse us on the DPS side and they actually have some usefull utility skills that Rangers sorely lack.