EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #61
kniltsol

Loremaster

How about we do this, we are rangers, let us shoot our bows from point blank range, make that aa a actual passive skill that allows us to fire the bow at any range.  During some raids we are unable to use a bow do to spacing, this would allow us to be apart of the raid like others enjoy.:smileyhappy:
kniltsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #62
LoreLady

Loremaster

1: - stop invis from breaking mid fight, so no AE, taunt, damage shield breaks it unless it is a direct attack..2: - Allow auto attack to run is corse even if you are using melee CAs, in in ranged auto attack distance3: - change AA's to include range (sta line multi hit, proc for debuffing mobs, aa poison)4: - Greater itemization of bows so that its inline with dps weapons5: - a quested bow that gives us arrows6: - Make CA's no longer consume arrows just auto attack
Old 06-23-2006, 10:40 PM   #63
Saihung23

Loremaster

I am not sure if this issue has been raised yet or not...but here goes...

With all of the money that rangers have to spend on arrows/poisons not to mention on items other characters have to...such as Chain Armor (no offense to you leather clad rangers), spell upgrades, and food....

We now have one of the rarest components needed for making Adept III's.  I know with LU24 rares are no longer truly "rare"...but when you start harvesting in DoF and KoS rares are not coming up like the other tiers....it still takes a relatively long time before harvesting a rare from an ore...and there are 3 different things it could be...a scintillating rock/xegonite/spongy loam (I am using T7 as this is where my experience mainly lies).

I look at the pricing (since I am not one of the lucky ones to have actually harvested a Spongy loam) on my server and Spongy Loam is priced at 2pp 40gold....

I look at the price of Acrylia under a pp, I look at the price of other rares all at about half the price of Spongy Loams...

What gives?  As if Fighters and Scouts dont pay enough (plate is pretty expensive too from what I hear and see) for their classes...it was seen fit to give us the rarest of the rares as our components for Adept III's in every tier.

I think it is a problem....I think they need to rethink what they are doing here...

I think it stinks personally...the solution is theirs to find but the problem is ours.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 PM   #64
Gareorn

Loremaster

This is definately a problem.  On my server, moonstones (priests) and acrylia (mages) cost 1pp while spongy loams (fighter and scouts) cost 4pp.  Even if they fixed the drop rates to equal the moonstones and acrylia, the cost is still going to be inflated because it's used by twice as many classes.

Masters are more common than spongy loams.  Actually, I shouldn't have mentioned this, because the easy fix would be to reduce the drop rate on masters.:smileytongue:
Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 PM   #65
Corwinus

Loremaster

Well, I do not intend to attract flames or angry comments like "if you dont like the way it is done in EQ2 leave it, ... and give us your gear lol", but fellow rangers take a look a this and give me your thoughts.

We all played rangers in a game or another, does not it look like what we would have liked EQ2 rangers to be ?

http://vgrangers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168

Regards

Corwin Ragere 70, Carpenter 70 on Oasis server

Corwinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 PM   #66
TaleraRis

Loremaster

Either we or the fighters need to use the rare pelt or root, frankly. Having 12 classes that all need the same rare for their Adept 3's is ridiculous.

I've been harvesting in Tier 5 and I've noticed the same thing. I've gotten a small handful of each type of rare, and 2 fused loams. I was amazed to get those 2 fused loams, given how rare the ore node has been the past few days in general. It wasn't others harvesting. I generally have the area to myself when I harvest and I harvest everything to keep things clear. Ore was definitely the rarest node and rare loam is the rarest rare from it.

They seem like they're giving the big FU to melee classes in general with these changes. I compared the Tier 4 cloth and leather armor with Tier 4 chain and plate my guildmate was making. Non-rare cloth had resists, health/power and stats. Leather had health/power and stats. Chain I *think* had health/power like the leather and stats. Plate had stats.

Now once you get into the rare, some resists and health/power start getting stacked on to those without. But this is non-rare cloth that has a pretty decent makeup, and then those who are actually going to be hit in that tier, the melee classes, get shafted in terms of non-rare crafted armor.

I really wish I knew what gives. Edit: I've been harvesting in Tier 5, not 4, teehee

Message Edited by TaleraRis on 06-23-2006 06:11 PM

Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
54 Roswellian Mind Scrambler
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
TaleraRis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 PM   #67
Jay

General

I totally agree, Gwyn. I know every class has its expenses, but I refuse to believe that melee classes shouldn't get many upgraded CAs, while casters should have easy access to Adept IIIs for their spells. Coupled with the fact that most casters get the cheap rares for weapons and armor, it really does seem like SOE is deliberately screwing over most of the melee classes when it comes to rare needs and the frequency of those rares dropping.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:10 AM   #68
arkkon

Loremaster

Easy fix to arrow problems, combat arts shouldnt use arrows.

Atm, get your current summon arrow spell to adept 3 or master 1.  The price you spend on getting it will be less than the price of buying those arrows, over time.

Or be a melee ranger <3

arkkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:14 AM   #69
TaleraRis

Loremaster

Jay42 wrote:
I totally agree, Gwyn. I know every class has its expenses, but I refuse to believe that melee classes shouldn't get many upgraded CAs, while casters should have easy access to Adept IIIs for their spells. Coupled with the fact that most casters get the cheap rares for weapons and armor, it really does seem like SOE is deliberately screwing over most of the melee classes when it comes to rare needs and the frequency of those rares dropping.

With the recent changes, root and pelts have been the ones I found in highest numbers. I've been considering Augmented leather for Gwyn because it has some good stats and I want to see if she'll do better in leather. Plus Ebon is a PITA to get and I'm not harvesting TIer 6 yet.  But it really is a situation where things aimed toward casters and cloth wearers are more plentiful. They sell for less on the broker because they are, in my experience, much more easily obtained.
Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #70
Recca[BK]

Loremaster

why wouldnt CAs use arrows, that really make no sense. triple volley you are using a special skill to shot 3 arrows, if you didnt use arrows in CAs what would be the projectile? as far as rares go if you really want an adept 3 harvest or go solo greens and blues for a bit to buy one.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #71
Merkad

General

@Recca[BK] - The main reason why is really an issue of fun trumping realism. No one finds the exorbitant cost of arrows fun nor fair, even though it is realistic. As various threads clearly illustrate, hostility is growing due to things like this (and quite a bit more actually SMILEY (imo, deservedly so)).Regardless, you are welcome to your opinion, but as for myself, I stand with those who think being forced to pay money to deal damage is wrong (the only class who does, that is).Merkades.
Merkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:00 AM   #72
Recca[BK]

Loremaster

cause assassins dont have to buy arrows ever, i guess i missed when we got endless quiver handed to us.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #73
Gareorn

Loremaster

Recca[BK] wrote:
cause assassins dont have to buy arrows ever, i guess i missed when we got endless quiver handed to us.

Regardless of your answer, I'm sure you got his point.  Or, are you implying that, just like Rangers, assassins commonly go through 4k arrows a day.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #74
Star

Loremaster

Recca[BK] wrote:

I guess I missed where the vast majority of Assassin CAs used tons and tons of arrows. I also missed the part where Assassins spend enough time at range to use a lot of Arrows for Ranged AA. I guess, in all, I missed the part where Assassins were ranged DPS.

Arrow usage for Rangers is way out of hand and it way beyond what anyone else has to deal with. Play a ranger to 70, go XPing or raiding then come back here and talk about arrows.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #75
TaleraRis

Loremaster

Recca[BK] wrote:
 as far as rares go if you really want an adept 3 harvest or go solo greens and blues for a bit to buy one.

Someone hasn't been reading the thread.

We are out there harvesting, and we're finding the comparison between mage and priest Adept 3 rares to be much greater than the drop rate for the Adept 3 rare for the melee classes. As such, this has made prices for not only the Adept 3s made by these, the rares used to make them, but even the Master I and Adept I spells have gone up considerably in price since the Adept 3 rare has gotten so hard to get at some higher tiers.

Being on a large server, I've noticed a significant increase in price. I've also noticed that it's not just a problem with drop rate, but spawn rate of the ore node in general. Harvesting the same area and clearing everything, I have still found the ore node to be the rarest of the nodes.

Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #76
Star

Loremaster

TaleraRis wrote:

Recca[BK] wrote:
 as far as rares go if you really want an adept 3 harvest or go solo greens and blues for a bit to buy one.

Someone hasn't been reading the thread.

We are out there harvesting, and we're finding the comparison between mage and priest Adept 3 rares to be much greater than the drop rate for the Adept 3 rare for the melee classes. As such, this has made prices for not only the Adept 3s made by these, the rares used to make them, but even the Master I and Adept I spells have gone up considerably in price since the Adept 3 rare has gotten so hard to get at some higher tiers.

Being on a large server, I've noticed a significant increase in price. I've also noticed that it's not just a problem with drop rate, but spawn rate of the ore node in general. Harvesting the same area and clearing everything, I have still found the ore node to be the rarest of the nodes.

Oh and on this thread, it's out of control on Crushbone. I think when I looked Acrylia/Moonstones went for about 80gp. Loams were nearly twice that at 2pp.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #77
TaleraRis

Loremaster

I'll check Najena tonight. Last I looked our prices were comparable, but that was closer to the patch.
Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
Old 06-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #78
Jay

General

I just checked BB over the weekend... spongy loams are still 3pp or so, so prices haven't come down much at all. Moonstones and acrylia are under 1pp. 

If I hadn't already been bent over by SOE so many times in the last year and a half, I might be concerned about it hurting a little this time.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:14 PM   #79
Saihung23

Loremaster

I harvested all weekend while doing some things around KoS...all I harvested other than regular loams and admantium...was scintillating stones SMILEY

Granted I made a nice bit of money from the metal, but the regular loams sell for 2cp...

Over 300 harvests, 2 scintillating stones.  About 150 metal, 150 loam.  I sold the metal for about 15sp a pop and made about 25 gold...

I was hoping for just ONE spongy loam to get my reclaimed arrows at adept III without shelling over half my fortune for one rare (okay..so I am lying I have slightly more money than that).

Ah well...lets see if I get one this week :/

Old 06-27-2006, 01:15 AM   #80
Recca[BK]

Loremaster

yes i know you use more arrows than assassins, however soloing for maybe 2 to 3 hours i can burn through 2k arrows easy enough. when my autoattack hits for 2 to 3k why wouldnt i use arrows everytime i can.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #81
Jayad

Loremaster

Ammo cost is not purely a ranger problem, it also affects many other classes.  Rangers just are impacted the most by this particular issue.
Jayad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #82
Teksun

Loremaster

Xney wrote:
Ammo cost is not purely a ranger problem, it also affects many other classes.  Rangers just are impacted the most by this particular issue.
Which is why it is a Ranger concern. Every other class I have played will use at most a couple of stacks of ammo on a given night. Rangers CAN (rarely) use that much on a single encounter.

Nerf the Hobbits
Teksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #83
Jay

General

Last I knew, no other DPS class relied on consummable ammunition to contribute the majority of their damage. That's why it's a bigger issue for us than anyone else.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:25 PM   #84
Saihung23

Loremaster

Price checked Loam last night on Befallen (R.I.P Faydark) and it is OVER 3pp with the broker fees....

I used to be amazed at all the things I could do with one pp...now I am amazed at how little one pp does anymore...

***edited***

I just reread this post by me...and I sound like my grandfather when I was a kid.  He would hand me a quarter and then tell me all the things he used to be able to do with a quarter...

Message Edited by Saihung23 on 06-28-2006 05:08 PM

Old 06-29-2006, 12:06 AM   #85
TaleraRis

Loremaster

I posted a comparison in Jay's rarity thread.

And as for arrow usage, I'm not even a raider and I feel it. I used about 4 stacks alone in just a couple hours of greybie evil eye hunting.
Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #86
Dragonsword

Loremaster

There are several things I would dissagree with. Without flaming anyone.From my understanding of a ranger they are both deadly with a bow, and in melee combat. Taking out AGI for INT, to me seems like a bad idea as a rangers attack and defence is supposed to be in their speed, and ability to parry. Although I use poisons I would think that an assasin would have a greater ability to use them, and if you want the INT string get it added to compliment the others.Secondly I start HO's in groups continously, and I generally start from a Ranged attack move in close and melee, then when my ranged attacks come up move out to ranged attacks again, and if you hit the sweet spot, you are combining both attacks very rapidly as most of these attacks can be done without moving very far.As someone who has been playing a Ranger since he started, and soloed most of his way to lvl 35, and then started working in raids and groups, I have been happy overall with my ranger, and the way that I play it which doesn't mean everyone else has to play it the same way.I do agree with the lack of Ranger Items for looting, and with weapon choice and procs. I was still using the Sureshot Bow well into the 50's. As to dual wield weapons, there are a few nice weapons there but they could be added to a bit.One of the biggest problems I have is with our useless pets, I always thought fighting a Tiger would be hard work, and I would think as a pet it should give as a few more options other than back off and protect itself, I know that they take agro well, but they really should look a bit further into that. I dont expect our pets to tank well but I would like to see them a bit more viscious in their attacks.Lastly as a woodworker I understand why player crafted arrows are expensive, as even with the latest crafting changes it takes ages to make a decent amount of thrown weapons or arrows. I think that player crafted arrows should affect our CA's more as well. I think that on average it takes me at least an hour to make 500 arrows, and considering that it only takes me about 4 hours to use 2000 of them when Im out fighting, I would like to see a pristine crafting make 50. Then maybe I would sell them cheaper on the broker.

Message Edited by Dragonsword20 on 10-10-2006 03:15 AM

Old 10-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #87
Likias

Loremaster

Omg...I can never have too many arrows.  I made my monk a WW just to keep up with my damand.  Just using the arrow foraging isnt enough anymore.  It use to be for some reason...lol.  I love my Thorny Trap - doesnt work as often as it use to but still, and my attack hawk - now I dont know who came up with the pet D.O.T but thanx, its save my life more than once.  I'm glad you can buy stacks of the poisons cuz they dont last very long.  At times they dont even last the 12hrs (I'm assuming EQ2 time) that is suppose to.  Cuz if it is, then time is surely flying in its fun...lol.

I'm just afraid if you say too much about things that are just...wrong...we'll see the brunt of those "fixes" in the next patch...lol

Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #88
Merkad

General

Wow, that is a misconception that just refuses to die.. Poisons only last 12 hours when you are not using them. They are 12hours or 100procs (damage poisons) *whichever* comes first. I have never had a poison last 12 hours, mostly because I don't just sit around online crafting/harvesting/doing nothing.I extremely dislike Woodworkers and Alchemists.. and all tradeskillers, that is all.Merkades, 70th Ranger.Siege, Najena.
Merkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 AM   #89
frisco4

General

You forget(And I'm not joking), that the SOE Dev team or someone on it hates rangers with a passion...I have no freaking idea why...but all decisions in the past have only led me to believe someone up there dislikes us.  (This isn't a debate over our power etc just in regards to how the class unfolds w/ price etc).
frisco4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #90
Teksun

Loremaster

It's easy. They hate us cuz they play on PVP servers...

Nerf the Hobbits
Teksun is offline   Reply With Quote