EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #91
MMODro

Get over it you drama queens. I wonder how many of you complaining about /pizza have ever said, "i'm not going to be one of those old people who hates technology." Those who have, should be ashamed. Luddite malcontents!
MMODro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #92
Jhak

Now why would i take away from my ever so important game time. That im  not gettin much of these days to order a pizza online when i can just pick up the phone. Call pizza hut. And since they have caller id they already know who i am and what i want. I just say send the usual. They say itll be there in 40 minutes or so. I say thank you, swinging this hammer makes me hungry and hang up. Send wife or kids to door with money when he gets here and its done. Havent used the /pizza command and never will but id imagine i have to avert my attention from the game to do this and with a new patch just having been brought over from our oh so awesome TEST server. I just cant bear losing that much game time. Woe is me. But since they did that. How bout a /BEER one. or /Cigarettes-(brand name goes here). or better yet /fixgamesowecanplayit .......:smileysurprised:
Jhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #93
Jhak

And by the way...im not flaming the /pizza command. its kewl if you like and not if ya dont. way to many other things in game that need attention to grumble about a command that has no affect on anyones game play. i dont order pizza hut religiously anyway. i like variety. /dominoes..../littleceasars.../hungryhowies..../omgimgettinhungry...may all the ks'ers and rude peeps pizza be cold and hard when it gets to your house and hot steaming fresh ones with extra cheese for the kewl peeps....you all know who you are......./gating to fridge for a beer.....
Jhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #94
ignori

here is some news to ya. ever watch jay leno and they talk about a product. its not on accident. product placement in movies, games or even our tv shows conversations are not on accident. just a little food for the brain.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:56 PM   #95
-AtPlay-

Loremaster

DragonJAJ wrote:Oh, so the image of Lucan holding a pizza doesn't bother you? and make the game itself seem like a gimmick?http://everquest2.station.sony.com/pizza/Personally, I wouldnt want the game, and characters from the game, that I like playing advertising a pizza or anything else. That's called selling out. If you're going to do "real world" advertising at least make it something in tune with the game, maybe like advertising it at a Ren fair or at the next Gen con or something like that.
Doesnt bother me in the least. We see fictional characters selling stuff all the time that are usually out of character. SOE created, an owns, the image of Lucan, they can do whatever they want to with it, and I dont care if they have him selling car insurance. See, Lucan isnt a real person, sorry to have to break it to you. But I bet if he was, hed love pizza.
-AtPlay- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #96
Pheliac

Loremaster

Kendricke wrote:

Great idea!  Instead of trying to expand the market and make the game more inclusive, we should continue to attempt to appeal only to an incredibly specific elitist subculture of the population so that we can retain our "street cred"?

Wow, I think you hit the nail on the head there mate. Mind you, the SOE catch phrase is "You're in our world now!", which does kind of imply a fully immersive experience. With pizza. :smileyvery-happy:

I'm still waiting for the kind of MMORPG desrcribed in Tad Williams' (http://www.tadwilliams.com/volume1.html) Otherland, now that would be cool. SMILEY

EDIT: -AtPlay-  Love that sig!

Message Edited by Pheliac on 03-10-2005 01:33 PM

Old 03-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #97
LordTwist

I'm waiting for the pizza hut to expand to qeynos. maybe in the empty building next to the Tin Soldier? I'm thinking about opening a 50's style joint at the two tent merchants right outside Qeynos. You can cruise in on your horse, have a hot little wood elf, dark elf, high elf, troll, whatever your taste roll up on skates, and take your order. Just another Twisted thought.
LordTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #98
Phena

/pizza is nothing! Wait till this is how it works...Future of ordering

Message Edited by Phenaum on 03-10-2005 10:18 AM

Message Edited by Phenaum on 03-10-2005 10:19 AM

Phena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:55 AM   #99
lllo0o0ol

General

This is part of whats really turned me off from EQ2. Their commercializing the game in a way thats, really inappropriate. I remember when Anarchy Online had Alienware billboards in its cities. People got really upset about them, dunno if they ever patched them out. But /pizza is just bad. Yup the advertising is good for SOE, but basically shows how "bubblegum" the game is how slapstick the community is since... well, no one has a problem with it it seems.
Uhh...I'm sorry but this game always has been commercial in every sense. Mass ad campaigns, monthly fees, etc. Why should putting an ingame ad be any different? It's not like this game was some indy release on Sub Pop records or something lol
Old 03-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #100
Qualme

I only have one comment in the promotion of SOE's in game pizza delivery command. It starts off with americans fast food craze /pizza but then in a few months SOE will promote itself asa healthier game with its new and improved /Atkins /Jenny Craig /WEightWatchers command and also check out the new keyboard that has active treadmill commands along with speacial EQ2 hotkey commands. only avaliable on the SOE shop! HeHe you know the love the free advertisment off this! SMILEY
Qualme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #101
Bookbunny

Loremaster

Everyone here who says that /pizza is a replacement for bug fixes and new content apparantly do not read any update messages.  They have added a ton of content and fixed lots of bugs.  Are there still bugs left to fix?  Most definately.  But you cannot say that SOE has done nothing to improve the game while adding the /pizza command.

Some computer savvy person should go back to EQ1 forums and find the rant that /gems created.  People went berserk because an employee was home sick one day and coded /gems.  Then they put it in the game and suddenly EverQuest was a joke and all these players were gonna quit.

But remember, if you quit and cancel your account you won't be able to complain here anymore!  Isn't that worth your $21.99?

I will personally never use /pizza because I prefer the locally owned pizza shop (They send me thank you cards after every order).  Doesn't mean my fellow players don't need the command.  And for the person having friend troubles with WoW players - they are flat out lying if they say they don't order pizza during a gaming marathon.  They just have to use the phone or have a spouse do it.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #102
eblanx

Loremaster

The amount of programmer time it takes to code a simple command like /pizza greatly pales in comparison to the amount of QA time it can take to track down the exact cause of a bug, not considering the programmer time it can take to actually fix the bug once the source is traced. Seriously any decent programmer could have coded that command in a matter of minutes, it's a very simple function and a simple run of a system command, very little complexity involved for anyone who's familiar with it. Fixing a bug can take anywhere from hours to days of QA time to even find the source of the problem, and sometimes the same amount of time for a programmer to fix it without breaking other things. My point is the two can't be compared from a technical standpoint, and i'm certain very little bug fixing progress would have been potentially made in the time it took for them to toss that command together. Also i'm not entirely certain they have the same people working on new features such as /pizza that are working on bug fixes. Having said all that I do tend to question the need for the presence of the command. I'm not going to complain about it because the only setback it is to me is a few bytes of system RAM, big whoop. I haven't used it once, probably won't because it's easier for me to pick up the phone, heck I have to go to the door to get it anyway, and depending on what i'm doing it's a bit more convenient for me to order using the phone than it is for me to minimize the game. If what they were seeking was media exposure then kudos to them, whether or not this media exposure is actually bringing in more clientele remains to be seen as far as I know, but if it even brings in a few more customers i'd say it's worthwhile for a simple command that took minimal time to implement.
eblanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #103
Xecr

Pheliac wrote:
So /pizza has been mentioned on Jay Leno, cnn and yahoo. That's worth $$ to SOE, and it means more people to group with on my server, and SOE will have more cash to spend on fixing bugs / adding content.

/shrug  I can live with that. Don't see why people are 'leaving the game' because of this. Grow up.

Still want a /[Removed for Content] comand though. :smileywink:

I want a /AMP command.  :smileywink:

Xecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:24 PM   #104
Ellrin

Loremaster

Judging by the size of Jay Leno i would have though /pizza was right up his street.

Ellrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:52 PM   #105
GregJZ

General

I have to say lame, argueing over /pizza is probably the most [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] thing I could ever think of.  Come on. 
Old 03-24-2005, 10:47 PM   #106
basingreg

Loremaster

I don't know about anyone else, but if there are people who are actually quitting over something like /pizza, it's probably a good thing they are quitting.  The type of people that would make a rash decision like that are going to be the same people that ruin the online experience, so don't argue with someone when they are upset about this feature, just smile, and politely ask them to leave.  The more people like this that quit, the better our experience with the game will be.
basingreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #107
Tallika_Runwithbears

Loremaster

Anyone who hates /pizza that much deserves to be laughed out of the game.  :smileyvery-happy:
Old 03-28-2005, 12:53 AM   #108
Espyderman

Loremaster

Rorina wrote:

BRavens wrote:
He talked about it and then said something like...

"How Pathetic! What's next? No need to ever get up from playing...we're gonna hook IV's up to our arms and just keep on playing."

This is part of whats really turned me off from EQ2. Their commercializing the game in a way thats, really inappropriate. I remember when Anarchy Online had Alienware billboards in its cities. People got really upset about them, dunno if they ever patched them out. But /pizza is just bad. Yup the advertising is good for SOE, but basically shows how "bubblegum" the game is how slapstick the community is since... well, no one has a problem with it it seems.

Do you want your game to succeed? Then advertising is the key, if you dont like it then ignore it. Do you hate your favorite TV show cause they have commercials?
Espyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #109
spaunen

Loremaster

Ya know, the fact that theres a /pizza command doesn't mean it wasn't around before. Heres what I would do when im feeling lazy. Alt enter, alt tab, click hotlink to my fav pizza restaurante, buy food, sit and kill stuff, buy and eat foode upon arrival. /pizza just allows a simpler method to do the same thing. Although I know much better pizza places. Online ordering has been around fer a long time. Its just getting bigger and bigger. EQ2 hasn't implemented anything special. I leave my computer anyway to eat as I don't like crumbs on my computer. My 2 bits on it.

Message Edited by spaunen on 03-27-2005 09:26 PM

Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #110
Diddy

Holliday50 wrote:
 I don't understand why everybody gets so worked up about it.  If you don't want to use the command, you obviously don't have to, and you will never see it........it doesn't affect you.  For those that do want to use the command, it's a convenience for them.  I haven't used the command...yet, but I'll be glad it's there if I ever decide to.  /shrug

I'll tell you why I get worked up about it.  It's a great feature for the game, I've used it.  That's not the point.  The point is there are FAR BETTER things for the developers to make work inside the game before they screw around with making /pizza link to a URL.   I Heard they had it in beta previously and just turned it on....If you believe that line of [email protected]#$% I have some stuff for you to buy at ROCKBOTTOM prices /wink.

Bottom line is they see profit, not customer.  IDIOTS.  My class (guardian) has over 5 skill lines that when you upgrade to ADEPT 1 from App 4 go DOWN in benefit, and it's been that way since they implemented.  I Have TWO Master 1 skills that give me WORSE stats than GREYED OUT PREVIOUS SKILLS that were Adept 1.

Other classes I've spoke with are in the exact same boat.  How hard is it for the developers to test their own code....incompetant people.  The sad thing is, it's readily obvious they don't play their own game.  They don't have time, their board of directors is asking them to squeeze out more margin with things like /pizza.

Bottom line, there are TONS OF SIMPLE fixes that need completion but they put stupid @#$% like /pizza in the game?  Come ON! 

God Bless the Internet!
(Thanks Al Gore!)
Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #111
Na

General

Diddyus wrote:

Holliday50 wrote:
 I don't understand why everybody gets so worked up about it.  If you don't want to use the command, you obviously don't have to, and you will never see it........it doesn't affect you.  For those that do want to use the command, it's a convenience for them.  I haven't used the command...yet, but I'll be glad it's there if I ever decide to.  /shrug

I'll tell you why I get worked up about it.  It's a great feature for the game, I've used it.  That's not the point.  The point is there are FAR BETTER things for the developers to make work inside the game before they screw around with making /pizza link to a URL.   I Heard they had it in beta previously and just turned it on....If you believe that line of [email protected]#$% I have some stuff for you to buy at ROCKBOTTOM prices /wink.

Bottom line is they see profit, not customer.  IDIOTS.  My class (guardian) has over 5 skill lines that when you upgrade to ADEPT 1 from App 4 go DOWN in benefit, and it's been that way since they implemented.  I Have TWO Master 1 skills that give me WORSE stats than GREYED OUT PREVIOUS SKILLS that were Adept 1.

Other classes I've spoke with are in the exact same boat.  How hard is it for the developers to test their own code....incompetant people.  The sad thing is, it's readily obvious they don't play their own game.  They don't have time, their board of directors is asking them to squeeze out more margin with things like /pizza.

Bottom line, there are TONS OF SIMPLE fixes that need completion but they put stupid @#$% like /pizza in the game?  Come ON! 

Not that I don't think you have a point, but I bet the /pizza command took all of 30 seconds to code. It's really just as simple as linking a http address to a command. I don't think they took away significant developer time away from fixing bugs and issues in order to impliment this.
Na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:10 AM   #112
robertfox21

Loremaster

hey lord twisted, i dont think we should [Removed for Content] off the delivery man lol. they all will remember your addresses and spit on all your yummy pizza. :smileysad: i'll pass. they will also remember your addresses and when they are not working they will order 50 pizzas to your house lol. trust me i know these things.......*cough* i'm a pizza man *cough*.

just another little side note, dont [Removed for Content] off the mailman either,. u might not think much of him but boy he can rally mess ya up.(noo i am sorry, i am not a mailman)

robertfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:25 PM   #113
Leppa

I love the /pizza idea.. it made me laugh. I even went to use it but the /pizza website ordering is not available in my area.
Leppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #114
Ragnro

General

Lonwen wrote:Yeah.../Pizza is an appalling joke. I hear Americans are getting lazier and lazier, but, dmn people, typing www.pizzahut.com into a web browser (or clicking the bookmark) is too hard for you? 10 extra characters is enough to sell out the "dignity" of your mmorpg?/shame on SoE
Dignity?  It's a game.  If you take a game this seriously, you should step back and review your priorities in life. Repeat after me: "It's only a game..." "It's only a game..." "It's only a game..."
Ragnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #115
JCdefender

Loremaster

People are actually getting upset over /pizza?

LOL.

IDIOTS! GOSH!

JCdefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #116
Chanterhou

General

What about /panda ? i know it was probley a joke, but still..
Chanterhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #117
Suraklin

Loremaster

just give me /godmode and I'll be happy lol.

Friends don't let friends ask for another classes nerf.
Suraklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:31 PM   #118
Nataenel

General

NocteBlanc wrote:
I don't see why people are so upset about this. There isn't any in-game ADVERTISING (like a billboard or talking NPC) for Pizza Hut. It's just a command you enter and you're thrown onto the order site for Pizza Hut. That's it.

Now, that would be funny.  An npc standing outside a bakery shouting to passersby, "Get your Pizza here!"  :smileyvery-happy:
Nataenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:39 AM   #119
CheezeBurgerAnimal

Loremaster

I'd gladly wear the Pizza Hut logo on the back of my chest plate if it was uber.

I have Alt's in real life...
CheezeBurgerAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote