EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Kendricke

Loremaster

EverQuest II is a blockbuster MMO with hundreds of thousands of subscribers. It's the crown jewel of a company that has more MMOs than any other company on the planet. Yet, to many, it is also the other MMO to launch in late 2004. Warcry recently interviewed Executive Producer Scott Hartsman about the lessons they've learned and where they're going with this project.

Moving forward, Hartsman told us what he sees as the true strength of EverQuest II. It is a solo friendly game, very much in contrast to its predecessor. The emphasis on solo play has been intentional and he adds necessary for the game. Hartsman went so far as to say that EverQuest II is actually geared towards solo players.

Read the entire article here at Warcry.

* -Opinions expressed in this post do not represent any current or past employers.
Kendricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Calthine

ZAM EQII

That was a very good read.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #3
KerowynnKaotic

Tormentor of Fae

Calthine wrote:
That was a very good read.

Did you read the same article I just did?  

I suppose this is the clincher " Based on interview with Scott Hartsman " ..

Here is the only interesting part .. " ... Mind you, he told us this as a representative of Sony Online Entertainment, who had just published Vanguard, a game that reminded many of the state in which games were released before WoW. ... "

Lovely!   Why is SOE to be blamed for Brad blowing his MICROSOFT funding AND his own money?  

Oh, And .. " Yet, to many, it is also the other MMO to launch in late 2004. " ..

And I'm sure as far as alot of EQ2 players are concerned ... WoW is THE OTHER game that launched in 2004 and while it might have been polished it was done in Crayola Nail Polish, which peels off when dry ...

-------------

SoE's number 1 problem?   They don't know how to effectively toot their own horn.   

WE (EQ2) have the better game.   WoW just jams it down everyone's throat.   *hacks up a WoW hairball*  Oh ! Look a Free Healer Button!   ...

I'm very glad EQ2 in specific and SOE in general has decided on the slow down between expansions but I don't think the cause it 100% directly related to WoW, Scott's entitled to his own opinion on that of course, but it would have happened eventually as the Market got fuller and fuller of various MMOs.   It was just inevitable.    Might have happened sooner due to WoW but, again, it would have happened, anyway.   

As the Franchise of MMOs keeps getting larger and larger with more and more varied options, the individual Companies need to (and will need to) do more in the way of "polish" and be more "in your face" and in general show more "customer service" to keep, us, players.  

That's just the nature of business.   And, Games are BIG Business now.

---

So, really.. where is the actual Interview?

KerowynnKaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:59 AM   #4
Calthine

ZAM EQII

I said it was a good read, and it was.  Please note I didn't offer any commentary.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Ama

General

EQ2 is deffinately a great MMO that has to follow up a legend (EQ1).  Alot of people I talked at GDC mentioned EQ2 as an MMO had good staying power and the design was very well done.  *i'll leave it at that* SMILEY
Old 04-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Grantr

General

KerowynnKaotic wrote:

So, really.. where is the actual Interview?

Yeah, I thought the same thing.  I stopped reading after I saw based off an interview.  Keep up the good work Warcry!
Grantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
KnightOfTheWo

General

Okay, critique time. Note: this is subjective, and also, it's not an attack, just constructive criticism. Hopefully. Only two issues with this article: 1) I'm not sure I see how this was an interview. I guess I was expecting more actual quotes from Scott. The rest of the article also has commentary from the author, which leads me to... 2) Not sure I understand why the Vanguard comment was in the article, since it wasn't a quote from Scott, and doesn't really have anything at all to do with EQ2. Maybe it was a valid comment, or maybe not, but (in my opinion) doesn't belong in this article. Otherwise, generally seemed well written. SMILEY
Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Kendricke

Loremaster

KerowynnKaotic wrote:

I suppose this is the clincher " Based on interview with Scott Hartsman " ..

My apologies on that.  I posted the announcement in a rush after skimming the article, and mistyped the title.  Please accept the new title above as a correction.  The article is not an actual interview, but rather an article based on an interview that was written by Dana "Ledpidus" Massey, Senior Editor at Warcry.

* -Opinions expressed in this post do not represent any current or past employers.
Kendricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
ke'la

Loremaster

another interesting part about that Colum this comment:

"Sony obviously has a stake in the Playstation 3."

Shows that the writer has no clue about SoE and how it differse from Sony. This writer probly thinks that all the TVs and Computers in SoE's offices are Sony Brand and if one breaks they can just pull one off the line.

With the exception of the Name and the fact that they after passing though Many, Many hands a small bit of the profit goes to the same "people at the top" the truth is there SoE and the group that Makes the PS3 are completly seperate compainies. Heck they have Xbox 360s in the SoE offices.

As for the Vanguard Comment, um SoE has NO Control over when that game launched, it was all Brad and Sigal's Desigion and in fact the only reason Vanguard is not Vaporware is because SoE desided to Save the game. Sigal bit off more then it could chew with Vanguard and flat ran out of Money, as such they HAD to release the game or give up, Vanguard is NOT an SoE product, and saying so is like saying that Harry Potter is a Schoolastic Product because they are the US Publisher. If you want to look at the last Piece of SoE product to be released look at either Serpant's Spine(I think) for EQlive or EoF for EQ2. Lastly, when Gods and Hero's comes out, whiether it's the Ultimate MMO or not again will have nothing to do with SoE as they don't have any control over the content and mechanics of that game either(except where it intigreats into thier equipment)

ke'la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Themaginator

Loremaster

ke'la wrote:

another interesting part about that Colum this comment:

"Sony obviously has a stake in the Playstation 3."

Shows that the writer has no clue about SoE and how it differse from Sony. This writer probly thinks that all the TVs and Computers in SoE's offices are Sony Brand and if one breaks they can just pull one off the line.

With the exception of the Name and the fact that they after passing though Many, Many hands a small bit of the profit goes to the same "people at the top" the truth is there SoE and the group that Makes the PS3 are completly seperate compainies. Heck they have Xbox 360s in the SoE offices.

As for the Vanguard Comment, um SoE has NO Control over when that game launched, it was all Brad and Sigal's Desigion and in fact the only reason Vanguard is not Vaporware is because SoE desided to Save the game. Sigal bit off more then it could chew with Vanguard and flat ran out of Money, as such they HAD to release the game or give up, Vanguard is NOT an SoE product, and saying so is like saying that Harry Potter is a Schoolastic Product because they are the US Publisher. If you want to look at the last Piece of SoE product to be released look at either Serpant's Spine(I think) for EQlive or EoF for EQ2. Lastly, when Gods and Hero's comes out, whiether it's the Ultimate MMO or not again will have nothing to do with SoE as they don't have any control over the content and mechanics of that game either(except where it intigreats into thier equipment)

Well all he was Saying is that SONY has a stake in the SONY PS3
Themaginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Melchiah

Loremaster

Is the actual interview going to be posted at some point?
Melchiah is offline   Reply With Quote