EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-04-2005, 01:50 AM   #1
Ops

I'm playing a lvl 19 almost 20 predator on Highkeep.  I haven't paid much attention to my hotbar key setup but figure I should.  My question is, does anyone have any advice or suggestions on effective hotkey layouts they use for combat? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Opsho
Lvl 19 HE Predator
Highkeep server
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
Taloseem

Loremaster

I have 4 hotbars lined up 2x2 at the bottom. you can make new hotbars by right clicking on your current hotbar and choosing new hotbar
Taloseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Tr

Assist and melee attacks on first bar.Stealth and ranged attacks on second bar.Buffs and utility spells on 3rd bar.Easy enough to switch to other bars when I need something, but all my main skills I can control from those.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Kthaara

Loremaster

I run 3 hotbars.

I keep ranged together, and melee together.  Arrange the buttons to make difficult attacks easier, like stealthing and BS in a group fight.  HO icons are together, buffs are together.

Makeshift Arrows (and Rip later) placed in a location where you will see them and hit them whenever they are refreshed/available.

Take the Sit button off any hotbar, since it is useless.  I also removed Call of Quenos, since I can easily open the knowledge book and use it from there.

Spells/buffs with an agonizing long refresh are also in the knowledge book.  I cant remember the name of the one I got for half-elf that adds a DOT, but it only lasts a short while and takes a week to refresh.  It didn't help much anyway and was only taking up room.  I only use it if I am going to fight something and really, really need every extra dps I can get.

Somethinig that I did not figure out until later in the game is that you can arrange the spells in your knowledge book too, so you do not have to page through all pages to find what you want.  Just put them on the first page.

Kwentavius

Message Edited by Kthaara on 03-04-2005 10:34 AM

Old 03-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
Somethiing

Loremaster

I use 4 bars crammed all nicely together.

The frst one keeps all of my direct damage and stealthing.
The second one has HO starters, advancers, debuffs, tracking.
The third and forth are splattered with bow abilities and self buffs.

It just kind of came together as it is and i'm pretty happy with how they are layed out.
Its really just personal preference and eventually, even if the layout makes no sense at all, you'll still be able to locate everything quickly and easily.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
GoNom

It's a constant work in progress for me always moving stuff around - suggestion, figure out what you do in combat the most and line skills up acordingly.  As you progress you'll get melee atacks that leave you stealthed.  my current one is called Pouncing attack.  I have it right next to my melee on/off button, and right next to that are my stealthed attacks.  Spring, Shadow Lunge and shadow Flame.  That way I click Pouncing, Click melee Click Shadow Lunge all right in a row, saves alot of time.  And allows me to get off more CA's per fight.

Luadiane
55 Ranger of Crushbone
Member and Patron of Paragon

Ravenheart
39 Jeweler of Crushbone
The Siphon through which Luadiane's plat falls through
GoNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
trigger3

My lv 25 Ranger has 3 hotbar's.1st: Assist/Melee Attacks and HO2nd: Bow Attacks3rd: BuffsI also downloaded a UI setup that alters the hotbars to change to 1/3 their original size, I think it works alot once u get used to it.http://www.eq2interface.com/downloads/index.php?cid=101&dp=0&sh=full&so=desc&sb=lastupdate

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lv 51 Mage (Joopi) on Nathrezim server - World Of Warcraft
trigger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Sotaudi

Loremaster

If nothing else, setup your primary hotbar to make doing your HOs easy.  On my primary hotbar, I have Lucky Break followed by Corner (Dirty Tricks' upgrade).  This allows me to hit Lucky Break followed by the the defense debuff that also completes the starter chain.  I then have Impale, Quick Strike (actually, the training upgrade, Befuddling Strike) followed by Pierce (again, actually, the training upgrade, Holly's Relentless Assault).  Under Impale on my secondary tool bar, I have Leaping Cut (the Bleed upgrade).

With this setup, I can hit Luck Break, followed by Corner.  This starts an HO and completes the starter chain.  I can then hit Impale to complete the HO.  Followed by Leaping Cut, then the Quick Strike upgrade then the Pierce upgrade.  By this time, Lucky Break and Corner are just about recycled.  As soon as they recycle, Lucky Break, then Corner again.  Impale and Leaping Cut (or Bleed) are probably not ready, but the Quick Strike and Pierce (or their upgrades should be), so you can then hit those two to complete the HO.  While waiting for Lucky Break and Corner to recycle, you can then hit Cheap Shot then turn off melee attacks.  While they are stunned, you can move around behind them, hit them with Sneak Attack, or hit Stalk and use one of your other attacks (note:  Shadow Flame and Pounce do not require you to be in a specific position).  By then, you can start the HO cycle again.

This is obviously only part of my hotbar setups.  I have my stealth moves in a stack on the three Hotbars I have setup.  The stealth only attacks are next to them.  On the other side of the hotbars, I have my ranged attacks stacked.  I have Sprint on the first hotbar button and Yell just under it and Escape is just under that.

The key is to group things logically so that you know where you are going for similar attacks/skills.
Breven - Froglok - Fury
Voxin - Ratonga - Assassin
Sotaudi is offline   Reply With Quote