EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Battlegrounds
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #31
Davngr

Loremaster

cant we add some feature that lets you exchange players before the match starts?

/offertotrade_player

have it pop up as a group invite/exchange deal..   sure it won't be 100% effective if a team is greedy but it would work at least 75% of the time imo

Davngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #32
gourdon

Loremaster

Davngr wrote:

cant we add some feature that lets you exchange players before the match starts?

/offertotrade_player

have it pop up as a group invite/exchange deal..   sure it won't be 100% effective if a team is greedy but it would work at least 75% of the time imo

Your suggestion wouldn't be easier to code than just adding a data structure to handle a master player list and moving the team building function to a point after verification of BG acceptance by the player.  Further, it wouldn't be nearly as effective at fixing the problem.  They just don't have the time to write code for BGs.  Hopefully, they will put this at the top of the list for the next time they give BGs serious attention.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #33
Gealaen_Gaiamancer

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

Hopefully, they will put this at the top of the list for the next time they give BGs serious attention.

Bwahahahahaha!

Sorry, the evil laugh happens when EQ2 jaded is set to "high" for the day.  Hopefully later I'll get some BG time in, and will feel better after some senseless violence.  SMILEY

Gealaen_Gaiamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #34
Davngr

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

Davngr wrote:

/offertotrade_player

Your suggestion wouldn't be easier to code than just adding a data structure to handle a master player list and moving the team building function to a point after verification of BG acceptance by the player.  Further, it wouldn't be nearly as effective at fixing the problem.  They just don't have the time to write code for BGs.  Hopefully, they will put this at the top of the list for the next time they give BGs serious attention.

perhaps so but if they do re-write the code to build teams after the invites have been accepted it might bring other bugs to light.  giving the players the power to self regulate at the end of day fixes the problem no matter what happens as long as the players involved aren't dumb.

i'm just arguing to argue btw :p

you're 100% in your logic  lol

Davngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #35
gourdon

Loremaster

Davngr wrote:

gourdon wrote:

Davngr wrote:

/offertotrade_player

perhaps so but if they do re-write the code to build teams after the invites have been accepted it might bring other bugs to light.  giving the players the power to self regulate at the end of day fixes the problem no matter what happens as long as the players involved aren't dumb.

i'm just arguing to argue btw :p

you're 100% in your logic  lol

Fair enough.  I'm just not so sure that a group transfer function would be easier to implement.  Both solutions would open the door to new bugs. I'm not convinced that my really simple solution would be harder to code than a trade function.  Of course, after getting a glimpse of the mess that their character data is through the data feeds, who knows what is easy or hard in that rats' nest they call EQ2.

I assume that they don't have to the manpower to assign to the new coding and the testing to fix the queue, which would likely be the same for a character trade function.  I also question whether had someone with a simple solution in mind, considering the embarrassment that their original algorithm is.  A lack of simple solutions could have put them off the task too.  Someone could have a really complex solution in mind that will take a long time to implement, so they do nothing when just moving the team distribution step to a later point in the sequence will fix 90% of the problem.  There is a fair chance that the perfect solution is the enemy of the good solution.

At this point I'm just writing because it is annoying that the original programmer of the algorithm probably thought he was writing efficient code.