EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Tavern > Traveler's Tales
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-15-2006, 05:15 PM   #61
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

Actually, if I had that kind of ability, that's probably the way I would have done it.
MysidiaDrakkenbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:35 AM   #62
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

The slaves’ pens underneath Deathfist Citadel were slightly better than the holding cell they placed her in when she arrived. But that really wasn’t saying much. She had a small cot flush against the left wall and a small pot in the far right corner to serve as her bathroom.

There were a few rats that chirped and skittered about and she found herself having to fight with them in order to keep them away from whatever slop the orcs fed her for the day.

They would take her out of her cell and force her to do usual manual labor. At first, she scrubbed and cleaned whatever they wanted her to; from pots and pans to bloodstained floors and slime covered corridors. As long as she kept to herself and kept silent, they pretty much left her alone.

During her travels around the citadel, she noticed several larger orcs walking towards a very large set of wooden doors. She could hear the unmistakable sound of orcs chanting and grunting in a sort of cheer and the slight scent of dust and death trickled its way out of the splintered cracks in the door.

She narrowed her eyes at the doorway for a moment before becoming startled as one of the orc guards rounded the corner. She quickly moved her attention to the floor in front of her and continued her scrubbing.

The orcs had grown accustomed to seeing her around the citadel and all of them took an unusual delight of having a Rydian as a slave within the confines of their stronghold.

“Ah. Dah slave woo-man is curious. Ha. Ha.”, the guard said as he caught her looking at the doors.

She didn’t answer but continued to scrub. She knew if she had asked, he would have hit her. They would have rather seen her working and not hear her at all.

“Do you want to know what’s inside?”, the orc said getting down fixating his gaze on her face. She looked up and furled her brows in curiosity, but still said nothing.

“Perhaps if you do good here, you will find out one day.”, the guard said and laughed evilly as he walked away.

As he rounded the corner, she stopped again and wiped her brow on her stained sleeve. She looked at the doors curiously once more and sighed, before finishing her floor.

That night, as she emptied her bucket onto the damp earth in the courtyard, four guards began to walk towards her, snickering and grunting in their language. She could understand them, as she had learned the language long before she ever fell into that deep slumber.

From what she could hear, they were up to mischief and most of it dealt with her in some form or fashion. She could feel her blood beginning to run cold as they walked closer.

The guard that was appointed to her, to make sure she didn’t run, started to laugh when he began to hear what his friends were talking about. Mysidia quietly began to grab one of the farming tools leaning up against the wall. She started to mix the water into the dirt with the tool, slowly twisting the metal part of the rake off of the wooden stick.

The four of them surrounded her and one of them reached out and grabbed her long blonde braid, feeling it between his fingers. She swallowed hard, feeling the lump of fear beginning to choke her.

She knew what they wanted. And up until that moment, she had kept far away from their contact to stay out of their minds with that kind of element. Her inner strength, no matter how fast it was fading, kept her silent and her mind open and thinking.

The orc that stood to the left of her ran a finger down her arm. She could feel the bile build up in the back of her throat. They all laughed and made a few crude comments about what actions they were going to take on her.

The situation was growing severe, quickly. They were beginning to draw a crowd. She looked up into the snickering and sneering faces of her captors. They began to circle around her and hopelessness clung thickly to the sweet night air around them.

One of them finally made the move and grabbed her wrist, causing her to freeze. He began to squeeze his hand, feeling her bones wriggle under his grasp. She winced slightly, but never loosened her grip on the rake she had.

“I’m tired of talk.”, the one orc said in his native tongue. He lunged for her, hoping to throw her off balance, making it easy for them on their vulgar attack.

“That is one freedom I will NOT allow.”, Mysidia recanted, speaking orc. She quickly tugged on the staff, causing the head of the rake to fall into the mud. Now she had a weapon she was proficient in using.

She swung it wide over her head, causing three of the orcs to back off. The fourth one, larger than the other three, lunged for her, since he was nearly at her backside. He crashed into her, causing her to stumble in the fresh mud she had made minutes earlier.

Using her weight and the strength of the staff, she pushed back, causing the orc to stagger in his steps. It gave her the perfect opportunity to strike him swiftly and hard in his nether region. Having the largest of the four down gave her a better advantage.

The orc, grabbing his groin region, dropped to his knees and crossed his eyes in the excruciating pain he was in. The other three orcs looked up shocked, but it quickly turned to anger as they all bum rushed her.

She managed to trip two of them, but the third tackled her to the ground. She fell hard, feeling the wind get knocked out of her from the blow of the fall.

The tackle apparently hurt the orc as well, since he barely moved after the fall. She rolled over onto her side and used her staff to get her up on her feet. She noticed the orc had hit his head on a rock and lay unconscious.

She staggered, gasping to get oxygen into her lungs. The scrapes she received when she fell, began to sting with the mud that had entered in them. Her slave tunic was ripped at the shoulder and fresh blood had bubbled up to the surface.

The orcs never gave her the chance to get her breathing regulated. The two charged her again and nearly tripped her. She held on to her staff, falling to her knees. She felt the sick thud of the slap against her skull and she yelped in pain. Her vision blurred from the blow.

She swung her staff outward in front of her and felt it catch against the side of one of the orcs. She could hear the distinct sound of a rib or two cracking under her force. Her vision snapped back just in time to see the last standing orc charging her. At this point, the crowd they had drawn were cheering and hollering at them. Some chanted “Get her!” others jeered at how well Mysidia was doing.

The remaining orc and her guard wizened up and drew their daggers they had sheathed. She held her staff out in front of her to stop whatever would come her way. One orc swung to the front of her and the other, around the back. They executed a pincer attack with little to no effort and Mysidia began to panic.

Before she could react, a dagger swiped at her arm, and she could feel her skin tear from the edge of the knife. She screamed as she felt the sharp pain mangle her flesh. She swung her staff high over her head and swiftly down, connecting it against one of the orc’s skull. A thick black stream of orc blood shot out of his nose and mouth.

High above the commotion, the elder orc watched with a morbid curiosity. His massive bodyguard grunted in a slight approval.

“For using what little she has, she is a rather agile fighter.”, the elder said approvingly.

“How can you let dish woo-man get away with such insholence?”, the large orc said.

“It’s their own fault they left such a weapon unguarded. Let this teach them the lesson. That way, I won’t have to.”, he replied.

The large orc winced as he  watched Mysidia stab her staff into the unsuspecting skull of one of the orcs. She gave a grim satisfactory grin as she felt his skull cave into the pressure.

The elder held his hand up. “Enough!”, he roared.

Everyone stopped short and looked up at the interruption. Mysidia, who was bloody and gasping for breath, brushed aside a bloody strand of her hair, her violet eyes defiant.

The elder orc nodded to a few in the distance and before Mysidia could protest, the grabbed her by the arms. “Bring her to my chambers. The rest of you clean this up. You will be getting a reprimand later.”, he said.

Mysidia’s head was bagged with an old dusty burlap sack. She coughed as the  copious amounts of dust invaded her mouth and nostrils. She could feel herself being dragged and sucked in her breath as she felt her wounds get pinched.

She heard the distant sound of heavy doors opening and she was thrown to the floor and the sack ripped off her head. She looked up sharply and saw the elder orc sitting on an ornate chair. Plates of food were scattered about the table in front of him and she felt her stomach knot under the hunger she felt.

“That was quite a show you put on.”, he started. She kept her silence.

“I can’t say that I’m pleased with your behavior, Mysidia.”, he said shoving a piece of mutton in his mouth. The smells of the food made her mouth water and she found herself swallowing quite often.

When the orc noticed her kept silence, he grunted. “You may speak.”

“Menial chores are one thing, but I will protect myself every chance I get. If they had not provoked me, I wouldn’t have attacked.”, she said gingerly bringing her legs closer to her. She looked at one of her shoulders and began to fidget with the  wound, now angry and swollen from the mud that entered it.

“Noted. You do realize that I can’t let this indiscretion go unpunished.”, he said looking at her. She bit her lip and looked down, feeling the fear take hold of her again.

She fought with all her strength, to hold back the tears, but exhaustion, frustration, and fear forced through her iron will and they began to stream down her face. The orc watched her for a few moments before continuing.

“Twenty lashings I think should suffice.”, he said and watched her reaction, “..unless you can give me a more suitable punishment. I am not without reason.”, he said continuing his meal.

She looked up as two tears fell. “What would you want of me?”

The large bodyguard approached the elder and whispered something in his ear. The elder’s eyes lit up and he began to give a small laugh.

“Why, yes! I believe that is a wonderful idea.”, the elder exclaimed. “You will serve your punishment in the arena, Mysidia. If you survive your fight, you live to see another day. If you lose…well… No loss on my part and the beatings you will take will serve in place of your lashings.”

Mysidia’s eyes widen with disbelief. She looked down at her shackles. “Without my magic?”, she asked.

“Well.. yes. That would give you an unwarranted advantage and we can’t have that, now can we?”, he said grinning wickedly. He nodded to the guards that brought her there. “Take her to her cell and have the shaman see to her wounds. Rest well, Rydian. You will need it.”

When they placed the sack over her head again, she let the tears flow freely. She was doomed to die in that wretched place. At the very least, they were going to let her die in battle. She knew, however, that none of the ceremonies would have been done for her, none of the prayers or proper burial procedures. Tunare would simply have to forgive them. What was once a proud and thriving race has now been reduced to arena fodder.

They tossed her in her cell and locked the door behind them. She knew that the shaman, to treat her wounds, wouldn’t be by until much later. So with what little water they gave her, she began to clean and treat her wounds as best she could.

She watched a few rats scurry about and noticed them walking around this particular spot. She watched their behavior for a few moments before continuing on her wound. When she felt that the guards were no where in ear shot range, she spoke to the spot on the ground.

“You can go ahead and come out. There is no one around to catch you.”, Mysidia said to the ground.

As if on cue, the image shimmered and before Mysidia, stood a very well dressed and heavily adorned ratonga necromancer. Mysidia’s eyebrows furled with deep curiosity. And much to her surprise, the necromancer bowed with a deep respect.

“Meesa sorries to be sneakings up on youssa like dis. Buts meesa didn’t thinks that deys would gives meesa a private audiences…”, the ratonga said and smirked slightly.

“And you would probably be right.”, Mysidia said growing ever more curious about her “visitor”.

“And you are….?”, Mysidia asked.

“Oh! A thousand pardons. Meesa Aconitine, and meesa is very honored to meets youssa.”, Aconitine said and bowed again.

“Aconitine…”, Mysidia said and chuckled. “Wolfsbane?”

“Oh! Youssa knew messas twin!”, Aconitine said and gave a bright smile.

“Uh… no… Aconitine is… you know, never mind.”, Mysidia said shaking her head. She doubted that Aconitine knew the actual meaning of her name anyway, so she let the topic drop. “I’m not going to bother asking how you got in…”

“Meesa sneaks onto the ships that brings youssa here. Meesa had to brings youssa a message…”, Aconitine said, her face growing very serious.

“Well, you’re here. Go ahead.”, Mysidia said, easing onto her straw palate.

“Youssa in grave dangers, Queenie Lady.”, Aconitine said putting her head down.

Mysidia laughed outright. The moment her body began to shake under the laughter, the sharp pain shot through her insides and she winced slightly.

“In case you haven’t noticed, I’m not exactly safe, here.”, Mysidia said in a snarkish tone. “You’re a tad late on the deliverance, Aconitine.”

“No..”, Aconitine said shaking her head. “Youssa have a lot bigger problems than dis.”

“Oh? Like what?”, Mysidia asked slightly cross. Adding and compounding her horrific day wasn’t placing her in the best of moods.

“Not whats… Whos.”, Aconitine replied.

“Well?”, Mysidia said impatiently.

“Akahsha.”, Aconitine whispered.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:55 AM   #63
Ekuthh

Loremaster

I smell a rat... (pun not intended)

Ekuthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #64
dano

General

Loving it ! A great piece of writing. More please. :smileyhappy:
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #65
Ekuthh

Loremaster

/pokes Mysidia
Old 10-13-2006, 11:24 PM   #66
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

(I know, I know... I'm sorry. I couldn't quite figure out how I wanted to do this chapter. It wasn't flowing the way I wanted it to. So I rewrote it a few times before being satisfied with what I have now. Here you go.)

Machene leaned up against the railing of the ship, playing with the crude necklace he made for himself that carried Mysidia’s wedding band. His green eyes scanned the choppy seas impatiently as he wished a good strong wind would push the ship faster than it was currently going.

He had gotten reports from Xerbius and Kryimsson that she was healthy at the moment of her capture, but Machene was no fool. He had fought hundreds of orcs before and had borne witness to the destruction they can do. His own parents were taken as slaves by orcs before being sold to their last owners. He remembers the stories behind his mother’s scars, when he was a boy. He gripped the railing in a fit of anger. His knuckles began to turn white just thinking about what Mysidia was most likely enduring.

Kryimsson, noticing his brother-in-law’s body language, came over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Kryimsson handed over a tankard with a dark liquid inside.

“Here.”, he said nudging at it.

“What is it?”, Machene asked sniffing it.

“What do ye think?”, Kryimsson said and grinned.

Machene stared at it for a few moments before taking a drink. A wide smile spread across his face as he felt the familiar sweet fire attacking his taste buds. He growled low as it cascaded down his throat and warmed him from the inside out.

“I’ve missed this.”, Machene said as his teeth began to go numb. He looked out at the sea again and his face grew somber.

“She’ll be all right, brother. Mysidia’s tough. As tough as th’ come. Ye know that she’s probably got them corn’rd by now.”, Kryimsson said leaning on the railing next to him.

Machene looked over his shoulder and nodded at the new addition to their group. Faid was sitting towards the back of the ship, quietly speaking with Xerbius. Xerbius vouched for Faid, saying that he could get anyone into anywhere without any exposure. And if Xerbius put faith in someone, it was well enough to say that they were worth having around. Xerbius never vouched for anyone that wasn’t worth the effort.

“You think this will work with him? We don’t exactly have a healer to help out if we’re exposed.”, Machene said.

“Xerbius is confident about ‘im. If he says the lad is good, tha’s good ‘nuff for me.”, Kryimsson said to Machene.

Faid was picked up at the tavern in South Qeynos. He met Xerbius in Fire Myst Gully, helping to even the odds on a few baddies that seemed to have gotten slightly out of control. Faid was grateful and befriended the large wizard. They had been traveling companions ever since.

“When did the captain say we’d arrive?”, Machene asked out to one of the deck hands.

“In about a day or so. You’d best take cover soon m’lord. Storm’s a brewin’. It’s going to get mighty choppy out here.”, the young man said as he began to tie down anything that was loose.

Xerbius and Faid picked up their heads and began to head under along with Kryimsson and Machene. They retreated to a rather ornate room with a large table in the middle, suitable for conferencing. The wood was deep in a rich orange brown and carved intricately with starfish and mermaids, depicting an underwater story.

Machene sat at the head of the table while Kryimsson was to his right and Xerbius, his left. Faid sat next to Xerbius and laid out a map of Deathfist Citadel. Machene raised his eyebrows as he began to recognize what he was looking at.

“Where did you get this??”, Machene asked and whistled.

“I…acquired it.”, Faid said delicately.

Kryimsson chuckled, knowing the rogue lingo. “An’ I dunna suppose anyone might have lost a limb ‘er two on th’ way, in getting’ this map?”

Faid shrugged. “Occupational hazard.”

Kryimsson laughed and smacked his large fist on the table. “I like ye already!”

“It looks like we can enter here, underneath the Citadel and climb up through the catacombs before coming out by the dungeon cells. If Siddie would be anywhere, she’d be in there.”, Xerbius said as he began to follow his finger up the map.

“Yes, but, we would have to be extremely careful. There are a few higher ranking orcs down there that would rip right through us. We have to bypass them all together. Without a healer, this will be tough.”, Faid said as his eyes scanned over the document.

“If we can get to Siddie, she can heal us.”, Xerbius said with a hope in his voice.

Faid shook his head. “Not if they have her shackled.”

Machene’s hands began to ball into fists thinking about his wife in shackles. His jaw began to twitch under the tension.

“Shackled?”, Machene asked through clenched teeth.

“Aye. I hear that they have these magic absorbing shackles which prevent any unwarranted magic use within the Citadel. It would explain why your wife hasn’t escaped, yet.”, Faid said.

“Look, Machene, we might as well turn in for the night. The time won’t pass any faster worrying about a situation we cannot control, yet. It’s best to rethink our plan and go over it tomorrow, with a fresh mind.”, Xerbius said nodding at him.

Machene nodded slowly, realizing Xerbius was right. Cooler minds do prevail. They all rose to leave the room. Machene looked at the map before him and began to stare hard at the crudely drawn out jail cells.

“Hang in there, my love. I’m coming.”, he said quietly.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

Akahsha always enjoyed coming to Thundering Stepps. She could walk around freely without worry about any guards chasing her down, and if she wanted to hide, she had the ability to do that too. Both factions mixed freely here and she had her pick of places to put her feet up and cut back a while.

She had heard rumors of a small group of adventurers that had thwarted the pillaging of Deathfist orcs. And when she had heard of this rumor, she knew that Mysidia wasn’t far behind. There aren’t many brazen enough to take on a full pillaging party of orcs. Akahsha was wary following the fallen queen, now. Mysidia still fought as though her Catta Thaeja*  was with her. With him at her side, she would be dangerous to get to.

Akahsha had parked herself in a seedy bar just off the mainstream path of Thundering Stepps Docks. She liked it better with those who thought on her same level. Birds of a feather and all that. It made it easier to blend in. If she had gone to a Qeynos sympathizing tavern, she would have to work harder on making herself look invisible. And she hated that. She didn’t want to have to work hard unless she had to.

Akahsha kept to herself and watched the rat drowned swill swirling in her stained tankard. Naturally, she wasn’t going to drink it. She merely bought for it for aesthetic purposes. As long as she looked like she was drinking, she didn’t stand out.

She lifted her head for a moment to catch the distinctive scent of fresh rain mixing with the pungent scent of old sea water. It was raining. She drew her cloak around her tighter, trying to fight the unmistakable chill running from feet to neck. No matter where she went, the rain would always be cold to her. Living a life on the streets would do that.

All the more reason to find her mark and take her out. D*mn her mother! Didn’t she know what she was doing when she renounced her Tier’Dal kind? What it would do to her future children, and their children, down the line?

But with this… this would take her name and bring it back into the ranks of her people. Her mother took her House Name, Olath’Anulo, and bastardized it by giving it the Common translation: Darkskye, thus showing her separation. Now her daughter would finish the task and bring back the true name given to her House. Akahsha would no longer walk the streets of Freeport with the Common name. She would be Akahsha Olath’Anulo once again.

She looked up from her inner turmoil and saw a rather unshaven and shaggy human male looking at her. He gave her a recognizing nod before heading out of the door again. A wild and cruel grin tugged at Akahsha’s lips before she threw her hood up and headed out into the raining night.

She dropped a rather hefty bag of coins into the man’s hand and muttered “perfect”, before being lead towards a small dilapidated fishing shack some distance away from the docks.

She peered inside and saw a rather unconscious Iksar laying crumpled on the crude cot in the corner. She looked up at the human and scowled. “I said I wanted him alive.”

“He was when I went to get you. Look! He still breathes.”, he said and pointed to the labored rise and fall of the Iksar’s chest.

“You used too much of the poison. He’s useless to me, now.”, Akahsha said and jammed a poison laden dagger deep within the human’s backside. When she felt the spine, she jerked her wrist, feeling the bone chip and the flesh tear.

The human male slid to his knees, seeing the red pour out him and dilute itself onto the sand beneath them both. The human male looked up into his murder’s face, confused. She bent down and peered evilly. “As are you, I’m afraid. What… you really didn’t think I would actually PAY you, do you?”, she said as she took back the bag of coins she had given him earlier. She watched with a sick satisfaction as the life began to seep out of her victim.

She withdrew her dagger with a cold indifference and walked inside, leaving the human to bleed to death on the beach. Once inside, she removed her hood and smoothed her hair away from her face.

She carefully sat down at the salt blasted table diagonal from the bed and took out a small vial of a glowing red liquid, placing it on the top of the table. Then she sat back and waited.

She was rather astonished to find out that Mysidia had the Iksar help her take back the docks. Mysidia, working with Iksars? Perhaps there was more to this fallen queen than Akahsha was given previously. The torture of the Kerran gave little information as to her companions. She was hoping that this Iksar would more forth coming with information.

She watched the Iksar began to stir within his sleep as the poison was working through his system. Ah, good, the human knew enough to restrain the Iksar before coming to get me, she thought. This will make this interrogation easier.

“..and so it begins..”, Akahsha said breaking the silence.

The Iksar moaned, as he felt his insides being torn apart by some unknown assailant. When he opened his slitted eyes, he was rather surprised to see a dark elf woman staring back at him.

“What in the nine hells…”, he began, his words slurred.

“You can waste your time asking questions, Iksar, or you can give me what I need and live to see another day.”, Akahsha said placing a finger on the top of the red liquid vial.

“Who are you?”, the Iksar said angrily, the dry hiss within his voice.

“Ah, questions. Very well. I am Akahsha. And I know who you are, Tay’lan, so we can cut the introductions.”, Akahsha said, her silver eyes dancing to the evil in the darkness around them.

“What do you want?”, Tay’lan asked. The obvious fear was permeating through his scaly skin. He recognized the burning feeling as poison and didn’t know how long he had.

“That is much better. You are going to tell me everything I want to know about Mysidia, starting with where she went from here.”, Akahsha said folding her arms.

“And why would I, ssindossa?”, Tay’lan seethed.

Akahsha smirked amused. His use of her language and his flippant insult did little to raise her ire. She knew she had the upper hand.

“You are addicted to breathing, are you not?”, she said and rolled around the vial. “The exchange is simple. Tell me what I want to know, and you live. Keep refusing me and I walk with the antidote.”

She watched with a cruel curiosity as Tay’lan tried to move his arms to cast the spell, undoing his current demise. Confusion set to panic as Tay’lan’s hands refused to move. Akahsha recognized it right away.

“I…I can’t move my hands!”, Tay’lan exclaimed.

“Mmm.. Yes, I’m told that is one of the side effects. That is in record time, however. Usually most of the victims don’t experience the paralysis until much later. I would assume because you are cold blooded that it would react differently to you. It does however, leave me pressed for time…”, Akahsha said and placed the vial on the small table next to the bed. Tay’lan eyed it with a burning want.

“Now… tell me. Mysidia. Where is she?”, Akahsha said. Her voice was thick with severity.

Tay’lan licked his scaly lips, eyeing the vial. He could feel the slowing pound of his heartbeat deep within his skull. He wasn’t sure how long he had. He was weighing the options in his head. Should he betray a friend? He had helped her see that the Iksar race wasn’t what she remembered. Doing this would only further fuel her prejudice.

But his death would mean little, especially if Akahsha found out from some other source. And alive, he could at least explain himself. Mysidia would understand, wouldn’t she?

Tay’lan sighed and closed his eyes, the putrid feeling of betrayal attacking his gut along with the poison. “Zek… The orcs took her to Zek.”

Akahsha’s eyes narrowed under suspicion. “Alive?”

“She was when they took her. I don’t know about now.”, Tay’lan said. His voice carried the traces of sadness.

Akahsha began to work through scenarios in her mind. She bit at her lip thoughtfully. She looked up. “Who was with you, in your group?”

Tay’lan began to feel sleepy. He could feel the waves of drowsiness beat with every pump of his heart.

Akahsha quickly swept over to him and grabbed him by the shoulders shaking him. “NO! You will not die on me yet. Tell me! TELL ME!”, she said shaking him. “Her Catta Thaeja, is he with her?”

Tay’lan gave a blank look to Akahsha, his eyes glassy and distant. He was beyond the point of giving her answers, now. She cursed under her breath and grabbed the vial. Carefully, she placed a few drops on his lips. Instinctually, he licked at them. She sat back and waited.

“Was she with her Catta Thaeja?”, she asked again. His vacant expression didn’t change. And now, Akahsha was left with a dilemma. If she gave him the full antidote, she wouldn’t have any leverage. If she didn’t give it to him, he would die without giving her the information she wanted.

She scowled slightly and grabbed her cloak. She gave one final look to the dying Iksar before throwing her hood up and heading out into the night.

Tay’lan’s eyes managed to look over on the night stand and focused on the tiny red vial that sat inches from his face. Two tears trickled out of his eyes, realizing that he betrayed his friend without even a chance to redeem himself. He sputtered out his last breath before his vision gave way to darkness.

(* Catta Thaeja means "Knight Protector" in the Rydian language. A term given to the one who is sworn to protect the Empress, even at the cost of their own lives. Usually given to the man or woman who is renouned for being an exceptional warrior or paladin, rarely beaten in battle.)

Old 10-14-2006, 12:04 AM   #67
Tain

General

Good one!  /applaud
Tain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:25 AM   #68
Ekuthh

Loremaster

Dang it!  I liked him, too...
Old 10-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #69
IrishWonder

Loremaster

This is great, Mysidia! You really have a strong feeling for your characters... it shows. Keep it up :smileywink:

Shadowreap Deathbane, The First Dark Elf Conjuror on Guk
troopsofdoom.com - VIDEOS OF RAID MOBS!!! Nexona, Trakanon, Wuoshi, and more!
IrishWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:58 PM   #70
Nokar Ironfist

Loremaster

I have read your story so far and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  What makes the story all the more interesting and enjoyable to me, is that being a player in EQ2 I am familiar with the landmarks you describe in your story.  I look forward to more!
Nokar Ironfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:33 AM   #71
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

With the new punishment placed on Mysidia’s head, she was quickly ushered into the large holding cell with all of the other Arena Candidates. The cell was large, but with the amount of people placed inside, there was little room for movement.

And like all slave cells, it was thick with body odor, defecation, sweat, and most of all, fear. Mysidia remembered the warning that Aconitine had given her days earlier. She had given the young ratonga instructions to get back to Thundering Stepps docks and ask to speak with Kryimsson. She was certain that her brothers would come looking for her and she suspected that Xerbius somehow managed to find Machene in the process. Xerbius was always one for a cool head and logical thinking.

Mysidia’s fixation was to just surviving the slave pits. And like every cell she’s been in since she was brought here, they were pretty much all the same. The only difference with the one she was in now, there was no furniture. There were only a few crude mats, caked with mud, scattered about.

She was leaning against the cold iron bars with her head in her hands. The stench of desperation was making her nauseous. Although, she was sure it was the few decaying corpses that were dotted in with the population.

She had met Drus face to face, when she was placed in the cell. They exchanged a few words before she wandered off into the corner she was in. Most everyone had been laying down, quiet conversation between one another.

A dark elf girl was in the back, her face wrought with confusion. She was rambling off to a few of the men and women around her. Her voice was shaking and broke pitch, showing her fear. Mysidia lifted her head for a few moments before shaking her head.

“I canna understand ye, lass. I’m sorry…”, Drus said, trying to calm down the girl. When Drus shook his head, tears began to brim in the girl’s eyes.

“She’s Thexian.”, Mysidia said finally. Everyone quieted and turned to the dirty nymph like woman sitting alone.

“Ye understand her?”, Drus asked, a look of relief washed over his face.

Mysidia nodded slowly and got up, walking over to the young girl. She crouched down in front of her and began to ramble off a few phrases, foreign to everyone else. The girl’s eyes lit up and she began to quickly explain herself.

Mysidia sighed before saying, “She’s confused. She has no idea why she was brought here. She says she’s a merchant.”

Mysidia looked over and noticed the small tiny dagger Drus managed to smuggle into the cell. She nodded to it. “Hand me the dagger, Drus.”

“Whatever for?”, he answered in a huff.

“Just do it.”, Mysidia said. She was exhausted and in no mood to explain herself. With great reluctance, Drus removed the tiny dagger and placed it in Mysidia’s hand.

The dagger itself couldn’t do much more than maybe clean under the fingernails, rather than do any real harm. Mysidia held up the dagger and asked a question. The girl’s face contorted with confusion as she gave her answer softly.

“Well?”, Drus said, placing his hands on his waste.

“I asked her if she knew how to use one of these. She asked me why would she…”, Mysidia said and handed the dagger back to Drus. “She’s Arena fodder, not meant to survive a round. She’s merely here for entertainment.”

“I thought all Dark Elves were evil and thought they to be the superior race?”, a human male asked.

“If your mortality lay at the threshold of several thousand orcs, you learn humility rather quickly.”, Mysidia said wryly as she sat against the bars, again.

“Why do you have that dagger, Drus? You couldn’t pick a Troll’s teeth clean with that thing.”, Mysidia asked finally.

“It’s me tattooin’ dagger. Ye place th’ ink on and poke it in yer skin.”, Drus said showing the few tattoos he had placed on his forearms and shoulder.

“I can’t imagine that being very hygienic…”, Mysidia noted.

“Not at first, no. But ye gave me these herbs to clean me wounds with, so its not so bad.”, he said and grunted an approval.

Mysidia walked over to the far wall and picked up several leaves to one of the vines that were growing. She rubbed the leaves between her fingers, and much to her surprise, it left a rather dark red almost brown mark, on her finger.

She turned to Drus, admiring his handy work. “Do you think you could do one of those for me?”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mysidia wasn’t sure what time of day it was. Then again, since she had been brought to the Citadel, she was never sure of what time of day it was. She remembers hearing the distinct sound of a large iron lock clanging and the cell door opening. She also remembers it being a very long time between the openings of the cell.

And always the same scene, the orcs would choose several slaves within the cell. A few would come back, some never came back at all. The last time the orcs opened the cell, they took the Thexian girl. When the orcs came back, they were laughing on how quickly she was slaughtered.

Mysidia looked down sad. “I never even got her name..”

“Probably best ye don’t, lass. It’s easier that way.”, Drus said placing a gentle hand on her arm.

“Grab the Rydian and the Dwarf.”, the orc boomed. Mysidia looked up sharply at the mention of her. On the left side of her face was a brand new tattoo that Drus had done. It stretched from the middle of her forehead and winded down to the bottom of her chin, by her jaw line. It was tribal looking, and gave Mysidia a very warrior like appearance.

Mysidia had explained its meaning to Drus and drew out a crude design in the dirt between them before he began on her. All they had was time, down in the slave pit. It didn’t matter to her how long the process took.

It was common for a Rydian to go into battle with some kind of war paint on. It was a pictorial prayer worn to their patron gods and goddesses. The tribal vine was a prayer to Tunare. If She wasn’t going to protect her in this life, Mysidia prayed via tattoo that Tunare would take care of her in the afterlife.

“It suits ye.”, Drus said faking a smile. Mysidia sat through the hours of pain without so much as a flinch. She simply allowed the endorphins to do what they are supposed to do, when they kicked in.

The orc that escorted them out, laughed at Mysidia. “Ha, ha… dah woo-man has war paint now.”

They shuffled Mysidia and Drus into the corral underneath the arena. Mysidia looked at the rusted and broken weapons laid out in front of her. She looked up sharply at the orc.

“Choose.”, he growled at her. Her eyes scanned over the weapons and she shook her head.

“I can’t use any of these!”, Mysidia exclaimed.

“Not my fault.”, the orc replied. Mysidia’s eyes began to tear up as the feeling of hopelessness choked her insides.

There were many weapons laid out, but none of which Mysidia was able to use. There were tower shields, kite shields, and several larger one handed swords as well as two handed swords and several hand wraps and knuckle spikes.

A tall human male noticed the pitiful look on Mysidia’s face and came over quietly.

“You don’t know how to use these?”, he asked gently.

“I do. It’s just against my religion to use them.”, Mysidia said, sniffling. She looked up and saw the curiosity and concern in the human’s face.

He paused for a few moments before handing over his buckler and scimitar. He gave them to Mysidia and smiled faintly.

“Here. It isn’t every day you see someone still devout to their god. It still means you have hope, and that’s a rarity down here.”, he said picking up a large sword and kite shield.

“Thank you.”, Mysidia said quietly, biting at her lip while she geared herself up.

She walked numbly over to the arena entrance doors and heard the chants and cheers of the crowd beyond them. Mysidia could feel the thickness of her heartbeat and feel with each pump, her blood moving through her body.

“The last beats before battle.” , Drus noted.

“Remember them well.”, Mysidia whispered.

She heard the familiar sound of wood creaking as the doors began to open. White light poured onto her face and she squinted under such intenseness. She let out a breath slowly, feeling it shake under the fear.

“Here we go…”, she said as she bravely walked into the light.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 AM   #72
Ekuthh

Loremaster

Now there you go, picking on the Tier'Dal again... :smileywink:

Enjoying the story very much.  Looking forward to seeing how it goes from here...

Old 10-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #73
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

Sorry it's taking me so long. Work's been crazy busy. I've taken the 30th and the 31st off, so maybe I can bat out a chapter in between getting ready for Halloween. =D
Old 11-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #74
Ekuthh

Loremaster

/looks at watch

/looks at Mysidia :smileywink:

Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #75
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

Ekuth wrote:

/looks at watch

/looks at Mysidia :smileywink:

I know, I know... I'm sorry. I suck.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:25 AM   #76
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

Battle does strange things to the mind and body. There are a few that can sift through the swirling mass of emotions and senses, and seem to remain calm through it all. It separated the warriors from whelps, and drew the line between life and death.

If you asked any seasoned warrior for the specifics of a particular fight, they could give you a few fragmented images. Most of everything at that point was innate to them, second nature. That would be like asking how do you know when to breathe or blink? It’s something that’s simply done.

Mysidia was hardly any different. Each battle seemed to blend into the next one. It was the same dance done over and over, the only difference was the music. The images of the first arena battle burned fresh in her mind, however. She had no idea how horrific orcs could be.

The moment she stepped into the arena, she was greeted by the stench of rotting flesh and thick clouds of silt dust as the suction from the doors opening kicked it up. She nearly lost her breath as she saw countless severed heads on pikes, decorating the perimeter of the battleground. The ground was soaked through to mud, with blood, in some parts. She could see small lumps on the ground around her. She wasn’t entirely sure if it was scraps of flesh or end trails that littered the arena floor.

She looked up and saw the decaying head of the Thexian she spoke to days earlier. The look of horror frozen on the head nearly made Mysidia choke. Her mouth suddenly went dry and she felt like heaving.

“Your first battle?”, the human male said.

“No, but they were nothing like this.”, Mysidia said trying to calm her stomach down. They were proudly displaying their victories over anyone or anything. The tier above them surrounded the arena border completely. The orcs filled in the tier, chanting, growling, and shaking their fists at the competitors in the pit. At what appeared to be the head of the room, was three ornate thrones. One, the king obviously sat at, the other two were less ornate but on the right side of the throne. The king, apparently, was no where to be found. But she recognized the orc sitting next to it and next to him was a Tier’Dal she did not know.

The Tier’Dal was whispering over to the Elder Orc while he glanced over in Mysidia’s direction. The Elder Orc grinned sinisterly as evil danced in his eyes.

“I dunna what ye did, lass, but when he grins at ye, it’s never good.”, Drus said looking up at the Orc.

“I defended myself.”, Mysidia noted quietly.

The Elder Orc stood and a respectful hush fell over the crowd. He raised his arms as if to further his intent to quiet the crowd.

“We have a special treat for you tonight.”, he began, “Since the Rydian is so quick to show us how well she can fight, let us put it to the test.”

A raw surge of grunts and snickers rose up within the crowd. The Elder Orc held up his hands again to quiet them down.

“Let us make this a little more interesting, shall we?”, he said and nodded over to a few of the orcs that were in front of two very large wooden doors that almost seemed to extend to the ceiling.

“Release The Shadow…”, the Elder Orc said, ominous. And for whatever reason, Mysidia simply could not shake the quaking fear deep within her. That didn’t stop the roar of the crowd cheering the Elder Orc on, however.

The large wooden double doors began to party slowly. With each creeping inch, Mysidia could feel her fear thicken. Each heartbeat seemed to concentrate the fear even further. It was almost to the point where she felt she’d die from the fear alone.

Once the doors had opened completely, a rather unusual and freakish black monster crawled slowly out in front of them. The blackness of the monster seemed to darken even further with each step it took, as though magic itself seemed to blacken it further. The amount of magic the beast had could be felt with such a fantastic pulse that the hairs on the back of your neck would stand on end just looking at it.

The Elder Orc sneered down at Mysidia as he gained a sick satisfaction on seeing her recoil from fear. He snickered to himself, quite pleased with his idea.

“Defend yourself now, Rydian.”, he muttered quietly.

The Shadow crept like an arachnid on long spindly legs, while holding a man’s shape for a body. There were no apparent eyes, no apparent face, nothing that would trigger a weakness on the creature. It simply just…was; a mass of magic that seemed to grow stronger by the stench of fear.

Mysidia trembled. She simply could not help it. If striking fear alone won the match, the dark monster won the moment it stepped into the arena.

“Fan out!”, the human male called. Mysidia stayed in front of the beast while Drus and the human began to fan out to the sides of it. As long as they were spread out, it couldn’t concentrate on all of them, which gave them the advantage.

Mysidia’s shield began to shake as her fear ebbed out of her. She had never seen anything like the beast before her.

“She trembles like a suckling babe.”, the Elder Orc mentioned to the Tier’Dal.

“Don’t be so quick to judge. She is much more resilient than you are giving her credit for.”, Val’eth said.

“She has made these past few weeks interesting. No matter what is thrown at her, she always manages to survive.”, the orc agreed.

Mysidia circled around and moved in a fluid movement with the rest of her crew. The human was the first to strike, stabbing in a downward motion into the creature’s spindly leg.

It yelped, but not without making a quick slash towards him, nearly knocking him to his feet. Mysidia, not waiting for the creature to regain its ground, came at it along with Drus. They both swung quickly and precisely at the creature, hoping one of them would injure the monster.

Mysidia watched carefully as she tried to find a focal point. The monster didn’t seem to turn anything to their attention. It was as if it had eyes everywhere.

“It doesn’t seem to have a weak point!”, the human exclaimed.

“So cut everything that moves.”, Mysidia replied.

The man-body that the beast had, seemed to shift and what unraveled in its place was twice as horrific as the rest of it. Where the “head” was, a huge mouth opened and protruded a slimy snakelike tongue amidst sharp pointed teeth.

The human man was frozen with fear. None of them had ever witnessed anything like it. In all the horrors that were in the bowels of the earth, Mysidia had never seen anything like that monster.

Paralyzing fear can kill a man. In battle as well as out, and if you didn’t have all of your wits about you, it was more likely than not that you wouldn’t live to see your next one. The human male simply could not move, and it cost him.

The beast swirled around and struck true. One of its spindly legs slashed outward, like a circling blade and snapped the legs of the human, causing him to fall crashing to his knees.

Mysidia screamed and charged the beast. She was ready to push off with her buckler and stab at the monster before her. As if she didn’t post a threat at all, the monster lifted two of its legs and shoved Mysidia down into the dirt. Mysidia went flying and crashed hard on her backside. She groaned a bit and rolled over. Drus rushed over to her to help her up.

“Get up, lassy. Ye best keep movin’.”, he said tugging at her arm.

“Watch out!”, Mysidia exclaimed, but it was too late.

The beast pinned the arms of the human down and with two legs, jammed them into his lower abdomen. Two huge fountains of rich black blood shot up and fell to the ground. He screamed out in pure terror as his insides were being ripped out. It didn’t take long for the human to die. As soon as he began to take his second breath to scream, he was already choking on his own blood.

Angry, Mysidia got up and charged the beast again, sliding underneath the belly of the beast. She reached up and used her sword to slice along the underside as she slid through. A high pitched screech filled the cavern. The beast was wounded.

Drus didn’t let the opportunity slip by. He swung low and true, slicing off one of the legs to the beast. The beast stumbled and gushes of thick green blood began to soak the ground beneath them.

The beast turned, staggering. Mysidia was helped to her feet again by Drus. She saw the few scrapes and gashes on her leg from the slide and assessed her wounds.

“Worry about’em later. Ye’ll have plenty o’ time to tend to them in the slave cage. Focus.”, Drus said.

“KILL HER!!! KILL HER!! THE EMPRESS MUST DIE!”, Val’eth screamed at the beast.

The elder orc turned to the dark elf and blinked. He began to raise his eyebrow and he stood up to watch Mysidia fight.

“Empress? Well…this IS interesting…”, the orc almost seemed to purr.

“You didn’t know?”, Val’eth asked confused.

“I had assumed she was the empress’ daughter and not the fallen ruler, herself. This does change things.”, the orc said.

The beast struggled to get up and between the pain and fear, it lashed out at Mysidia and Drus again. Mysidia dove to the left, to get out of harms way. She swung her sword again, to slice at an unscathed leg. She caught a part of it and saw a chunk of its black flesh fall to the ground. It began to scream again. Unfortunate for Drus, however, that he was in the way of the beast.

With one of its injured legs and a good one, it picked up Drus and threw him across the arena. He crashed into the back wall and fell hard onto the ground, facedown. Drus didn’t move.

“Drus?”, Mysidia asked in a pitiful voice. “Drus??”, she asked again with no reply.

She did see his chest rise and fall, so she knew he wasn’t dead. But seeing the small pool of blood collecting at his head, she knew he was in bad shape.

Mysidia looked up into the cheering and laughing orcs. She began to feel the anger swell in her from deep within her stomach. She growled low in her throat and began to feel the nature’s chaos swell and swirl around her. She lifted her head and roared.

Roared? … The orc looked over at Val’eth confused.

“I thought that symbol you gave me was to protect us from magic, Tier’Dal!”, he yelled.

“It is an ability to her. That has nothing to do with magic.”, Val’eth said annoyed.

The orc swirled around and banged his fists into the railing in front of him frustrated.

Mysidia could feel the feline energy within her. Her violet eyes began to pulse with the raw natural power within her. She felt faster, more powerful than she was before.

She rushed up to the beast and dodged the random stomping from the beast as it tried to stab her with whatever good legs were left. Mysidia dodged and danced and jammed her sword into its side. She twisted her wrist, feeling the blade tear at the soft flesh of the monster.

She didn’t anticipate one of its back legs and it caught her square against her temple. She stumbled back, clearing her vision. Hot tears began to form at the sudden strike delivered to her head. She reached up quickly and felt her blood stick to her fingertips and trickle down her face.

She could hear the beast slither up to her and could smell the stench of its blood as it crept closer. She tightened her grip on her sword and flashed around, slashing out in front of her.

With a sickening thud, she saw another leg fall to the ground. The beast could not hold its weight up with just one leg. It fell defeated and bloody. Mysidia walked up to it slowly with anger flaring in her eyes.

With a sharp movement, she decapitated the monster. She watched the head of the beast roll off its body and stop at her feet in front of her. She looked up at the Elder Orc and spit in his direction before tossing the buckler and sword into the ground in front of her.

She staggered over to Drus to help him up to his feet.

“She is remarkable.”, the orc said shaking his head. “She has survived everything we’ve done to her so far.”

Val’eth turned away disgusted. He was cheated, once again, out of Mysidia’s death. The orc snaked his arm out and grabbed Val’eth’s by his.

“Have her cleaned and brought to my chambers. I wish to have a word with her.”, the orc said.

“And what makes you think I will take orders from you?”, Val’eth laughed in mockery.

“So long as I have your precious Empress, I think you will be doing a great deal for me now.”, the orc said and walked away.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

The ship reached the shores of Zek in record time. Kryimsson and Xerbius began to unload their belongings from the ship and Machene and Faid walked over to the portmaster to get some information.

“Hard to believe that this used to be Jagged Pine.”, Xerbius said looking around. What he saw, saddened him.

The ground was severely parched and the clouds hung thick and angry over the sky. Whatever wildlife that lived here, had survived through terrible measures. There were patches of dead grass. The lands here held the brutal scorch marks of Luclin’s destruction.

The outpost that they docked at, was small and meager but served its purpose. Several guards were milling about and the faint scent of camp fires danced along the afternoon air.

Machene came back and handed both Kryimsson and Xerbius a water flask. “The Citadel, from what we can tell, is about a day’s ride out of the gates. As soon as we get the supplies we’ll need, we’ll get started.”

“Whoa, there. You four aren’t just going to ride up to the Citadel alone, are you?”, a guard said as he heard the conversation.

“That was the initial plan, yes.”, Xerbius said.

The guard shook his head. “You’re better off waiting a few days. There was a nasty battle on the bridge that reaches the Citadel. The orcs are bound to be swarming the grounds around it. Even if you have the Swashbuckler with you to smuggle you in, it’d be very difficult to do it undetected.”

“We don’t have a few days, friend.”, Machene said with a tone of annoyance decorating his voice.

The guard shrugged. “Suit yourself. Just don’t expect a search party to come looking after you, then. We’re spread thin enough as it is, here.”

Machene turned around and gave Xerbius a hopeless look. “Mysidia doesn’t have a few days…”

“Take things one step at a time. Let’s get resupplied first.”, Xerbius said placing a hand on Machene’s shoulder.

Machene and Xerbius wandered over to a general goods hut to grab a few last minute things. They were in the midst of packing their climbing gear when Faid came running over to them.

“Machene, you’re needed back at the ship. There’s a Ratonga that says she needs to speak with you.”, Faid said nearly out of breath.

Machene laughed. “I don’t know any Ratonga. What does she want?”

“She says she has a message… from your wife.”

Old 11-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #77
Tain

General

Yay!!!

I have been waiting for this SMILEY

Tain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:55 AM   #78
Ekuthh

Loremaster

Bravo!  Bravo!

Worth the interminable wait. :smileywink:

Old 11-11-2006, 02:53 AM   #79
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

“The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity.” – Lord of Darkness; Legend the Movie

Mysidia thought it odd that she was bathed and her wounds dressed. The orc shaman that tended to her wounds seemed to even take a peculiar gentleness with her. She kept her guard up, however. She never trusted orcs. While although their nature was predictable and barbaric, that was the only thing she could trust in them.

She quietly walked with her head down, as the orcs lead her to the Elder Orc’s chamber. They still kept her shackles firmly attached to her wrists and ankles and instructed the women slaves that bathed her to keep them there. When the women saw the tattoo on her face, one of them tried to wash it off.

“The battle is over, dear.”, one of them said.

“Hardly.”, Mysidia muttered. The woman bit her lip and continued to bathe her. Shortly after, she was dressed and escorted down to the orc guards.

The sounds of the orcs’ boots echoed its cold hollow sound off of the dirt riddled stone walls. Everything about the Citadel was cold and cruel. The only positive thing about the Orcs is that they never let their slaves groan and wail on like the Iksars did. It was usually quiet in the halls. The slaves were not allowed to make any noise.

The door to the Elder Orc’s chambers was opened and they shoved Mysidia inside. Mysidia lifted her head and looked around. The chamber was impeccably cleaner but little has changed from the last encounter she had there.

The Elder Orc snapped his fingers and two younger orcs scrambled to bring over a large velvety plush pillow before Mysidia. She raised an eyebrow as she looked at the Elder Orc. He nodded and waved his servants away.

“You may kneel on it.”, he said turning to a fine repast that was laid before him. The smell of cooked meats and seasonings caused Mysidia’s mouth to water.

“That was quite a display you put on.”, he started. Mysidia knew better than to answer him. She was enjoying the softness of the velvet she was kneeling on. She slowly ran her fingers over the fabric, allowing the fibers to tickle her fingertips.

“Wonderful, isn’t it? I received a shipment of them the last time we raided Maj’Dul Palace.”, he said looking at her. She furled her eyebrows in confusion. He grunted. “It resides in Sinking Sands, where the Deserts of Ro used to be.”

Mysidia still sat in silence, not entirely sure what to do or say. She was exhausted from the battle and malnourished from the bits of bread and gruel they fed her. She couldn’t remember the last time she had a full decent meal.

“You know, I don’t quite believe you and I have been properly introduced.”, the orc said smirking. “I imagine though, knowing you, you have a name picked out for me already.”

“I do.”, Mysidia answered finally.

The orc looked up shocked that she spoke. He allowed her to speak. What was the point of bringing her to his chambers, if not to talk? He could have pursued…”other” ideas, but he surmised she wouldn’t be very easy to take on.

“Oh? And what name did you give me?”, he asked amused.

“Drin-Sha.”, she said coolly.

The orc smirked, understanding her language. “False One…”, he muttered. “And why do you call me this?”

“No matter how detailed your mask may be, Drin-Sha, you will never be an orc.”, Mysidia said looking into his face.

He snickered, placing his meat bone on his plate. He nodded slightly and got up walking to her. He knelt in front of her and whispered. “Perhaps you’re right. It’s been so long since I’ve seen my real face, I may as well be an orc now.”

His eyes swirled and for a moment, she could almost make out two slits staring back at her. Seeing her shocked reaction, he got up and walked back towards his table. He waved at his guards and servants. “Leave us.”

“But, my lord!”, one of them exclaimed.

“Have two stand guards outside. She won’t be foolish to try anything this deep in the Citadel. Now, leave us.”, he said and sat back down in his seat.

Mysidia watched as the guards and servants left, leaving the two of them to speak freely. She couldn’t quite tell why, but a cold chill began to creep up her spine.

“Talk freely. I imagine you have quite a bit to say to me.”, Drin-Sha said.

“Who are you?”, she asked, her violet eyes accusing.

“As I said, it has been so long…”, he started. “I was placed here to spy on the orcs by Lord Lucan himself. Ever since the orcs began to organize, Lucan figured they were something to monitor. That is when my job really began, but I have been here long before that. That is all you really need to know. My name is of no importance to you just now.”

“Why are you telling me this?”, she asked confused.

“I feel that you are one of the few that will actually make it out of here alive. And when you do, I want you to take me with you.”, Drin-Sha said. Mysidia’s eyes widen with shock. “I will make a deal with you, your majesty. Take me with you and I will keep your little secret. Betray me, and I will make it my life’s mission to hunt you down and feed you the Iksars myself.”

Mysidia looked at him and she couldn’t help but shake her head snickering. “You will have to do better than that, Drin-Sha. My secret isn’t worth as much as it used to be. You won’t risk losing me for fear of your disguise being thwarted with the orcs. So, I highly doubt that you will take me out of the arena just yet. I can’t guarantee that I’ll survive the next battle. I call what I did, luck, today.”

Drin-Sha growled and flashed towards Mysidia, taking her chin into his hand, forcing her to look at him.

“You WILL do as I say, Empress. I am not the only one that would enjoy seeing you dead. Your head carries a price much higher than you realize.”, he said growling. Mysidia looked down remembering that Akahsha was still following on her heels. “You either comply or I’ll simply be careless in locking your cell for the night.”

“What about the arena?”, she asked defiantly.

“You let me deal with that.”, he said as he slowly backed away. “Do we have a deal?”

Mysidia looked down and felt the chokehold of hopelessness and desperation surround her. She nodded slowly. She couldn’t help but think, however, that she was making the deal with a devil.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Meesa so glads to meets you, Lords Drakkenbane.”, Aconitine said and gave a flourished bow. “Its an honors.”

“Faid tells me you have a message for me.”, Machene said, not entirely trusting.

“Ah! Yesses.”, Aconitine said and began to dig through her pack. Machene watched her cautiously and carefully. What would Mysidia be doing with a necromancer? She was appalled by such a profession.

Aconitine withdrew a small scrap of parchment paper. It was dusty and mud stained and folded neatly. Machene began to open it carefully, as he wasn’t entirely sure of the integrity of the paper.

An extremely crude map was drawn. In the center of it was a large circle and several hallways leading off of it. From what Machene could make out, there were a few sets of stairs and a room marked with a large “X”.

“What is this?”, Machene asked looking at Faid and Aconitine.

Faid took the piece of paper and began to look at it, remembering and comparing it to the blueprints that he “acquired” earlier.

“That, I believe, is the arena underneath the Citadel. And those are the slave pens.”, he said pointing to where the “X” was.

“Yesses!”, Aconitine exclaimed. “Youssa lady mate sayses she’s to fights in da arenas. Somethings about her gettings into troubles with dah orcs.”

“That doesn't surprise me.”, Xerbius said.

“How do you know all of this? How do you know my wife?”, Machene asked frantic.

“Meesa had to warns her of dangers.”, Aconitine said sadly. “Akahsha hunts her now.”

High above on a cliff, a dark elf woman stalked in the shadows. Her silver eyes narrowed as she watched the Ratonga talking with the large Barbarian. Her fists began to tighten as she witnessed her betrayal.

“[Removed for Content] you, Ratonga!”, Akahsha seethed.

Message Edited by MysidiaClash on 11-10-2006 02:54 PM

Old 11-11-2006, 03:08 AM   #80
Ekuthh

Loremaster

*removes silver plated spoon from velvet lined case*

Hmmmm... this is about right.

*stands spoon up in the middle of the plot*

Yup!  I thought so! :smileywink:

Old 11-20-2006, 03:00 AM   #81
niko_teen

Loremaster

Finally I've gotten a chance to catch all of the way on your story Mysidia. So........ Lets see some more =) hehehe. No offense ment for anyone else on the board here, I find something i like in everything i read here, but as of this date there have only been two sets of postings here that've totally caught my intrest and kept me with them them the whole time wanting more and more. And no that is not because the three of us are all on the same server, even though we are.

On a side note i guess i had better catch you in game or soemthing. I wanted to throw a little more of the Rydian's into my own tale.

As SOE and I disagree on creative rights my series can be found at: theshattering.com
niko_teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #82
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

I've decided to rename my story. In the direction I want my stories to go, I've decided to write a series. Since the stories I write will surround the Rydian Empire in some form or another, I feel that the Rydian Chronicles would best suit the name and break it down by the characters that surround the main story. Mysidia, while although a main part in the story of Rydia, isn't the only "player" in the tale.

What does that mean for the future of my stories? It means that each character you read here will have a story of their own under the title of "Rydian Chronicle". So, yes, Akahsha, Aconitine, Machene, Austforbeer, Feja, Raevenwolf, Xerbius, Kryimsson, and Faid will all have their own tale to tell. That means much more writing for me, but more reading for you.

niko_teen wrote:

On a side note i guess i had better catch you in game or soemthing. I wanted to throw a little more of the Rydian's into my own tale.

Thank you for the compliment. =) It's appreciated. While although I don't feel as many readers read my story as compared to yours or Ekuth's, I'm honored and humbled of the readers I do have.

I'm usually on during the week after 5:30pm EST. Send me a /tell. I'd love to collaborate. =)

Old 11-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #83
niko_teen

Loremaster

well not all of us can have 560+ posts on their story-line. But then again it appears the Ekuth has a 2 part job, writing and controlling his fans. I must say i am interested in the new turn of events separate chapters/stories on each of the different characters. Personally my characters have too high of a mortality rate at this point to do anything like that =). But i don't know if I'm gunna like the other guys as much as i like Mysidia the character. There is just something about her the ferocity she has or something.

Message Edited by niko_teen on 11-20-2006 04:27 PM

As SOE and I disagree on creative rights my series can be found at: theshattering.com
Old 11-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #84
DarrkElf

Lord

Fantastic!  Nearly midnight here - but I just had to finish reading it  SMILEY
DarrkElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:21 AM   #85
MysidiaDrakkenbane

Loremaster

Zek was always eerie at night. Between the creatures calling their evening song and the scorched trees littering the star dappled night sky, the land carried its own presence; looming and foreboding to anyone who would bravely walk through.

Val’eth sat cowered around a roaring campfire. He placed his hands close to the flames hoping to warm his deepest fears inside. It did little to comfort him. He remembered his slave telling him stories of animals being afraid of fire, but he wasn’t entirely sure if she was speaking the truth. If she didn’t, he made a note of having her thrashed later.

A wolf howled in the distance…or was it a coyote yipping? Val’eth didn’t know a rat from a possum and he wasn’t about to find out which animal decided to scare his attention. He snorted his disgust and turned back to the fire. Scowling, he grabbed his large stick he kept at his side and began to stir the embers underneath the fire.

With each passing moment, the frustration began to seep out of Val’eth’s pores along with the stench of fear. He looked down at some misshapen shape on a stick of an animal he trapped hours before. It was badly burnt and it smelled even worse. He picked it up to consider consuming it and eventually tossed it aside, disgusted with himself.

He looked down and noticed the few soot marks that dotted his lavish robes he wore. He cursed under his breath trying to wipe the spots out, cursing his “guest” for being so late.

Finally, he heard a female laughing not too far from where he was sitting. He looked up sharply as the laughter startled him. His red eyes tried to fixate on the space in front of him, but he couldn’t make out anything. Was it…a…ghost?

A few seconds drew by. He began to recognize the laughter. He scowled once again and turned his attention back to his robe.

“You’re late, Akahsha. How long have you been sitting there?”, Val’eth grumbled.

“Long enough to realize how pathetic you really are.”, Akahsha said as her image began to shimmer into view.

Val’eth shot her a dangerous look. He quickly tempered it when he realized that she had the upper hand for the moment.

“Why did you bring me here?”, Val’eth spat.

“To talk.”, Akahsha said and picked up the burned piece of meat Val’eth cooked. She nibbled on it and shrugged. “Not bad.”

“You’re disgusting.”, Val’eth mentioned. “What is it you wanted to talk about?”

“The bounty. The price has just gone up.”, Akahsha said turning her silver eyes towards Val’eth.

“Pardon me for stating the obvious, Kahsha, but your target still lives. Don’t you think it hubris of you to start raising rates just now?”, Val’eth snickered.

“That was before I realized her Catta Thaeja still lives.”, Akahsha said accusingly.

“Well, naturally. Tunare, despite Her weaknesses, wouldn’t overlook a minor detail like that. She is a goddess after all.”, Val’eth said matter-of-factly.

“You had said she is without her Catta Thaeja.”, Akahsha said, her voice rising.

Val’eth motioned with his hands to tell her to keep her voice down. He looked around for a moment to make sure no one heard them except the random cricket or [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] mouse in the grass.

“And he is not. If you had asked me if he still lived, I would have given you a different answer.”, Val’eth said smug.

“And I would have quoted you a different price.”, Akahsha said sitting back. Val’eth’s face dropped. That wasn’t what he wanted to hear.

“How much?”, he asked finally.

Akahsha thought it over for a moment and folded her arms arrogantly. “Triple.”, came her reply.

“That’s outrageous! Not even the head of the Assassin Guild is paid that much!”, Val’eth exclaimed.

“I doubt the Assassin’s Guild leader had to deal with a situation this…delicate. The danger goes up, so does the price. It doesn’t take a genius to figure that out, Val’eth.”, she said.

Val’eth toiled it over in his mind. He was at a loss. If he didn’t agree to it, he would have to find an assassin as good as Akahsha and crazy enough to agree to the job. The only reason Akahsha agreed to it to begin with was for her own personal dilemma. If she wasn’t personally invested, she never would have even thought about it.

“Yes… this does put you in a predicament, doesn’t it?”, Akahsha said and chuckled smugly as she began to chew on a blade of grass.

Val’eth growled and waved his hand. “Ugh. Fine! Your results better be flawless, Akahsha. You are too expensive to accept anything less.”

“Despite my current namesake situation, my surname does hold some meaning within the assassin circle. Mysidia was wise to hire my mother as her personal spy. Simply put, we are flawless.”, Akahsha said and shimmered into the darkness.

Val’eth looked into the flames running through his current thoughts. “You had better hope so, Akahsha. Flawlessness may be with the Olath’Anulo House, but lack of forgiveness is with mine.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Faid led the group down and snaked his way through the trees and underbrush. He thought it wise to stay off the main paths and roads in getting to the Citadel. As soon as the sun had set, they started to make their way out.

With the help of Faid’s smuggling skills, the entire group was dancing among the shadows of the night undetected. Machene wasn’t about to wait for daybreak, like a few of the guards had suggested. He didn’t know how long Mysidia had or what kind of condition she was in. He just had to get to her, and that’s all he knew.

Xerbius and Kryimsson looked around in horror, as the scars of battle rippled along the ground around them. It wasn’t enough that Luclin laid its fiery hand of destruction on the earth beneath them, but bones contorted in grotesque agony along with blood stained armor and weapons added to the living nightmare.

An eerie fog thickly blanketed the frost bitten ground beneath them. Each step was a reminder of how different the land around them truly was. There was nothing familiar about Zek, even though everything deep down inside Xerbius and Kryimsson told them otherwise. Machene seemed indifferent about it, as though he had passed through these lands before.

They had come to the CitadelBridge, and if ever there was evidence of a harsh battle, this bridge seemed to carry the worst of that burden. Only the most seasoned of warriors could stomach the sights in front of them. Kryimsson looked around horrified.

“What in th’ Great Seven Hammers happen’d ‘ere?”, Kryimsson said, the words barely escaping his lips.

“It’s probably best we don’t speak of it, brother. The ghosts here are having a hard enough time trying to rest peacefully on their own.”, Xerbius mentioned somber.

Faid caught a faint wind on his back and he motioned for them to move ahead. He turned around and narrowed his eyes into the area behind him. His light brown eyes tried to find some shadow, some movement to betray his stalker, but his efforts turned up fruitless.

“What is it?”, Machene asked watching Faid.

“I’m not sure.”, Faid said distant. “Let’s keep moving.”

Faid wasn’t convinced and neither was Machene. If the rogue in the group had his guard up, it was wise of them all to put theirs up as well.

The rounded the bend quietly and climbed up the cliff to their left. They all squatted down and looked at the quietly looming Citadel. Kryimsson and Xerbius got out their maps and began to compare what they saw versus what they had on paper.

“There it is. Deathfist Citadel.”, Faid mentioned quietly. It took every bit of strength Machene had, not to bust through the front gates and charge the orcs head on. This needed a more delicate approach.

“It is going to be difficult even going through the back, without a healer.”, Xerbius mentioned.

Just then, Faid quickly snaked his hand out with his shiv firmly gripped. He swung it quickly and deadly towards his left into the open air, without even breaking his concentration on the Citadel or blinking.

Two shadows shimmered into view and Kryimsson and Xerbius stumbled backwards from being startled. The moment Kryimsson saw their two uninvited visitors, a wash of relief spread across his face.

“Austforbeer!”, he exclaimed and embraced his Kerran friend. “An’ ye must be Feja.”

Feja smiled warmly and nodded in response. “Aust has brought me up to speed and has told me a great deal about you, Lord Giddeon.”

“Sheesh, Kryimsson, please. I canna get used ta th’ o’er name.”, Kryimsson said and winced.

The introductions were made and once Machene was announced and introduced, Feja’s eyes grew wide and she humbly fell to her knees. “It is a great honor, my lord. Mysidia has spoken great lengths about you.”

Machene slowly got down on his knees and lifted her face to meet his. “It is I who should be on my knees for you, Feja. You have no idea how much it means to me with what you’ve done.”

Xerbius looked at the group and gave a large grin. He realized there was enough fire power and healing abilities to go and rescue Mysidia. With Feja able to protect and heal, they had a greater chance of succeeding and surviving their infiltration.

Faid, however, was a little preoccupied. He saw a tiny pebble skate its way down the mountain and towards them on the cliff. He knew that movement would be the only thing to cause such a disturbance.

He had hoped that his keen senses telling him of danger was nothing more than Austforbeer and Feja catching up with them. But something further tugged at his instinctual innards. The group started to head down the cliff, still undetected by the orcs that were around them. Faid looked up into the wilderness, hoping to catch whatever it was that caused the pebble to fall.

With a great reluctance, Faid turned and joined his group. Still, he could not shake his inner voice from whispering at him to turn around.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:27 AM   #86
Ekuthh

Loremaster

MORE!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:57 PM   #87
niko_teen

Loremaster

Ekuth wrote:
MORE!

I'd listen to him, cause well you never know he might take and write his next story about little fufu bunnies hopping around the forest nibbling of clover out of protest *shutters*. That and well I'm not so forcefull and also cannot think of anything witty to say in response =/. Stupid resistance to caffine increasing

Old 12-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #88
Ekuthh

Loremaster

First Valk and now you... what is it with the foo foo bunnies?  :smileywink:

But he's right, we need another chapter!

Old 12-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #89
niko_teen

Loremaster

little bouncy ambros bouncing through the forest pick up the field mice and bopping them on thw head... heheeh but i digress I say since you (Ekuth) and I are both on the same server with Mysidia we hmmmm... we not prester but start flooding mysidia with idea about what we think is comming up next. And well since she's all nice and stuffs she'll be like "Ah no that's not exactly what I'm goign to be doing" or "Well no i don't think i have room int eh story for a bunny named ambros." so they she'll jsut get fed up with us and knock us out another eddition. Think it will workl?

Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #90
dano

General

A true epic, I'd love to see more of this. Please continue :smileyhappy:
dano is offline   Reply With Quote