EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Fighter's Arena
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #31
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Sorry Kimber, this stance does not improve your DPS at all.

Reread it.

Your stated reason for wanting this stance is to allow you to more effectively leverage your high-damage snap-aggro abilities when not tanking. The end result of which would be an increase in your DPS. If all you cared about was controlling your aggro, you already have all the tools you need to do that: turning off auto-attack and/or not using CAs. What you want is a way to minimize your threat generation while maximizing your DPS.

Guess what, that's what every DPS class wants, too!

Tanks are not a DPS class. Classically, this has been made evident by the fact that tanks were simply not capable of matching the DPS output of real DPS classes. In situations where the tank significantly outgears the DPS classes present and is capable of exceeding their DPS, lack of threat reduction becomes the issue. Tanks that aren't tanking can't match the DPS of real DPS classes, because they lack the tools that DPS classes use to throttle their hate generation. This is by design.

You are asking for an ability that completely invalidates an integral combat mechanic because you are trying to play your character in a way that was not intended. If you want to do a lot of DPS without taking aggro, play a DPS class. As long as you are playing a tank class, you will need to come to terms with the fact that you aren't intended to be able to maximize your DPS without getting aggro.

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #32
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Sorry Kimber, this stance does not improve your DPS at all.

Reread it.

Your stated reason for wanting this stance is to allow you to more effectively leverage your high-damage snap-aggro abilities when not tanking. The end result of which would be an increase in your DPS. If all you cared about was controlling your aggro, you already have all the tools you need to do that: turning off auto-attack and/or not using CAs. What you want is a way to minimize your threat generation while maximizing your DPS.

Guess what, that's what every DPS class wants, too!

Tanks are not a DPS class. Classically, this has been made evident by the fact that tanks were simply not capable of matching the DPS output of real DPS classes. In situations where the tank significantly outgears the DPS classes present and is capable of exceeding their DPS, lack of threat reduction becomes the issue. Tanks that aren't tanking can't match the DPS of real DPS classes, because they lack the tools that DPS classes use to throttle their hate generation. This is by design.

You are asking for an ability that completely invalidates an integral combat mechanic because you are trying to play your character in a way that was not intended. If you want to do a lot of DPS without taking aggro, play a DPS class. As long as you are playing a tank class, you will need to come to terms with the fact that you aren't intended to be able to maximize your DPS without getting aggro.

It would only be an increase in DPS in certain situations. (when i'm not tanking.)  Otherwise, it does not make a single bit of difference.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #33
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

It would only be an increase in DPS in certain situations. (when i'm not tanking.)  Otherwise, it does not make a single bit of difference.

So it would result in an increase to your DPS only in those situations in which you'd actually want to use it. I think my point is made.

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #34
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

It would only be an increase in DPS in certain situations. (when i'm not tanking.)  Otherwise, it does not make a single bit of difference.

So it would result in an increase to your DPS only in those situations in which you'd actually want to use it. I think my point is made.

So once a blue moon, seems kind of sitational, kind of like the -1000% AOE autoattack buff.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #35
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

So once a blue moon, seems kind of sitational, kind of like the -1000% AOE autoattack buff.

Singular Focus is a kludge to correct the unintended behavior of a universal game mechanic. It is not an archetype-specific ability whose sole purpose is to circumvent intentional class balance features.

Plus, if the suggested ability is really as useless as you claim, why do you feel its worth development resources to implement? (The previous question was rhetorical.)

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #36
Rahatmattata

Loremaster
Rahatmattata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,232
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Does not increase DPS or anything, and can be used any time.

Except that you can do more dps without ripping.

I do not want another stance like this.

That being said, i really don't care if they implement this, they can even call it Talthion's Stance for all I care, because I won't be using it or putting it on my hotbar anyway, so it effects my game play none.

__________________


A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #37
Rahatmattata

Loremaster
Rahatmattata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,232
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Atm, my problem is losing aggro to the main tank, if I don't stop attacking he can never rip it off me.

But I have 40% Unbuffed Hate Mod/259% unbuffed critical bonus now, using 2 weapons.

I'm usually top 3-4 on the parse in this expansion.

The fact that you are in the top 5 on a dps parse means you most likely out-gear the people you are raiding with. If this is the case, it is dumb to suggest game changes based on this.

You need to either get a better MT, or learn to play with a little finess and control your aggro. As an off-tank on a progression pull, you are (probably) there to tank things, assist other tanks in keeping mobs off raid members, and damage control when bad things start to happen. You only need enough dps to build enough threat to hold aggro off the raid, and enough survivability to play your role in the content your guild is doing, and THEN the rest is dps. If you are there trying to maximize your dps, for one you picked a poor dps class, and for two, make sure your raid leader knows you're there for dps and that people aren't buffing you with hate or expecting you to tank anything. Also, drop your hate mod AAs/adornments/whatever.

Save the dpspeen for trash and pharm mobs. On a progression pull, be serious and do the job you are there to do. There is no reason you should be going balls-out dps if it's causing your raid problems. Stop being a detriment to your guild.

__________________


A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #38
Boethius_Permafrost

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 335
Default

While I am not supporting this idea, I think it would be not quite as bad if it merely prevented effects which add hate gain, without actually providing you with massive de-hate buffs that other dps have to itemize and buff for.  If you want to be a dps class, then if you take agro with pure dps, that should be a problem.

Boethius_Permafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #39
Tekadeo

Loremaster
Tekadeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 364
Default

I can't decide if the proposed new fighter buff is like what Tala wanted or what I wanted.  Seems a lot like the one i proposed but idk.  Guess well see on test.

__________________
Tekadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #40
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

Dunno, I think I sent a PM to a dev about it. :/

Mostly think its your idea though.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #41
Tekadeo

Loremaster
Tekadeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 364
Default

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Dunno, I think I sent a PM to a dev about it. :/

Mostly think its your idea though.

Aye, we'll see if it is even possible to implement it correctly.  I like your idea of killing off our snaps with reckless on.  Would be nice to use Gibe without ripping everything in the dang zone.  

__________________
Tekadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #42
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

Tekadeo wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Dunno, I think I sent a PM to a dev about it. :/

Mostly think its your idea though.

Aye, we'll see if it is even possible to implement it correctly.  I like your idea of killing off our snaps with reckless on.  Would be nice to use Gibe without ripping everything in the dang zone.  

Lol... I did mention it being a level 20 Ability though when I talked about it.

But it would be poorly implemented if abilitys like Grave Sac/Gibe didn't get there threat things removed.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #43
Fairin

Lord
Fairin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 54
Default

if your ripping off the MT, help them with knowledge on how to tank. you'd be suprised how many people dont realize how the game really works tal,

and no your not out parseing our raid MT (who is also a berserker that adores tanking in O-stance without a shield ect)

 dont make me come over there and turn you into a floor mop =(>.-.&gtSMILEY=

Fairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #44
Tekadeo

Loremaster
Tekadeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 364
Default

Fairin wrote:

if your ripping off the MT, help them with knowledge on how to tank. you'd be suprised how many people dont realize how the game really works tal,

and no your not out parseing our raid MT (who is also a berserker that adores tanking in O-stance without a shield ect)

 dont make me come over there and turn you into a floor mop =(>.-.>=

Just curious what guild you are in and what your progression looks like with a Zerker MT in OStance.  TBH we run a Pally, which is also less than ideal these days so I'm curious.

__________________
Tekadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #45
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

No.

No class should be placed into a positoin that they don't have to be concerned with their agro building while doing dps.

I can maybe support something like Singular Focus that removed all positional hate increases, but lets be realistic, you can just know what your buttons and gear do and not use the ones with positionals...

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #46
Fairin

Lord
Fairin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 54
Default

Tekadeo wrote:

Fairin wrote:

if your ripping off the MT, help them with knowledge on how to tank. you'd be suprised how many people dont realize how the game really works tal,

and no your not out parseing our raid MT (who is also a berserker that adores tanking in O-stance without a shield ect)

 dont make me come over there and turn you into a floor mop =(>.-.>=

Just curious what guild you are in and what your progression looks like with a Zerker MT in OStance.  TBH we run a Pally, which is also less than ideal these days so I'm curious.

Eternal Destiny, AB. working on drunder hm. and hes not unintelligent and goes shield / def when nessary

when it all comes down to it the plate tanks are pritty much the same with avoidance / mitigation as base stats. it just the different aiblities that set them slightly apart, but for the most part its just avoidance and mit

Fairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.