EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Fighter's Arena > Guardian
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
oaksilenc

General

For most part, I will be grouped with a friend of mine who is a Necro.

Buuuut there will them times where one of us is at work, busy, etc. I like tanking, but sometimes I will only be able to have an hour session or so, or just be by myself.

I'm a returning player to the game and am not familiar with how the "new" EQ2 goes low/mid levels. Will I be ok on my own? I have read through the forums and I am not interested in that OMG ubah DPS warrior tank and that I should roll a DPS class etc. I just want to know how well I'm gonna be off during them alone times.

Thanks!

oaksilenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
oaksilenc

General

Or would I be better off with a *gasp* Zerker? I hear SKs solo well, but can they tank? I'm not going to be solo most of the time.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
Masoz89

Lord

If you rarely going to solo, stay with the guardian. I have a guardian, and I do good when solo. if you get a good 2-hander, you will be fine.

SK is good at soloing, and also good at tanking, but dunno how good they are at tanking compared to a guardian

Masoz - lvl 62 Guardian - Oasis
Masoz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Griffinhart

Loremaster

I have a 67 Guardian and I haven't had any problems soloing.  I usually stay in offensive stance w/ a good 1HS and a towershield.  
Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
oaksilenc

General

Ok cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Jackula

Loremaster

Two things have affected my ability to solo as a Guardian incredibly, so much so that they were monumental to me as a Guardian.  These were class changing events!  One was Game Update #13.  That affected me horribly.  It basically sent me back an entire tier.   I couldn't hunt any of the things I had been.  The other was the introduction of AAs and me switching to a buckler spec.  Soloing had never been as easy as this, except for maybe before GU#13. It is going to take you some AA points to get there but purely for the purposes of soloing I suggest STR 4/4/8 and then STA 4/4/8.  Start out with a two hander.  It's good to solo with and you can tank low level content well with a two hander, especially if you have a healer, into your 20s at least.  Once you get those first 33 AAs, invest in a good buckler and one-hander and you will be able to solo and group tank with the buckler/one hander instead.  You can solo any class to max level, some just take longer.  The Guardian class is not the worst of them to solo. Quick solo tips:
  • your very first AA allows you to heal yourself for 25% every 3 minutes.  It helps with solo downtime.  To cheat death, you can break combat and use it.  You won't get xp or drops if you break combat, but if the 25% heal is enough to help you survive a fight gone wrong, it can be better than dying and having to start working your way into an area from the beginning.
  • upgrade your chest/leg/weapon to mastercrafted imbued when you can afford to do so
  • invest in one STR and one AGI imbued ring
  • heal and power potions can save the day, especially when solo
  • noxious cure potions are handy for curing the poison/disease traps on loot chests when you're solo and without a curing healer
  • SoW (Spirit of the Wolf totems), Totem of the Jaguar/Chameleon are very handy for increased run speed and sneaking past mobs into places you normally can't get to alone
  • when solo, you can make the fight much easier for yourself by debuffing the mob with a STA or STR hex doll.  They take too long to be used in most group settings, but when solo the seconds they take to use can swing the fight your way
Jackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
oaksilenc

General

Very nice advice.

Currently I am goin the 2h route. I caught up to my bros character very quickly. Now I grab everything in the zone and hold it while he nukes the hell out of all of it. lol kinda fun.

The whole AA thing is new to me though. Like I'm not exactly sure what a str 4/4/8 is. I'll dig it up though SMILEY

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Bramwe

General

oaksilencer wrote:

Very nice advice.

Currently I am goin the 2h route. I caught up to my bros character very quickly. Now I grab everything in the zone and hold it while he nukes the hell out of all of it. lol kinda fun.

The whole AA thing is new to me though. Like I'm not exactly sure what a str 4/4/8 is. I'll dig it up though SMILEY

Thanks again for the advice.

Str 4/4/8 simply refers to how many AA points were put into the Strength line under the warrior tree.  We all just assume that one point was spent in bind wound since it is required to move onto anything else. Warrior Strength Path: 4 AA points into + Strength 4 AA Points into Executioners Wrath 8 AA Points into Weapon Expertise.

width="485" height="151"

Bramwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Raahl

Loremaster

Being successful at soloing as a guardian comes down to one factor, as you may have already guessed.

DPS!

More DPS makes a guardian more soloable.  Up your STR and get any AA's that increase or add to your damage.

Happy hunting.

Cougaar - 90 Dirge

Corwin - 90 Guardian

Raahl - 30 something Templar

Kilped - 70'ish Ranger
Raahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Makkaio

Loremaster

I hate to even ask this because you probably are, but are you using your HOs?  If you are, then forget I even brought it up.  If you're not, then use them.  Jackula is right on the money about setting up to solo successful.  During my solo times, I was killing solo yellow^^ single and group mobs using many of the same tactics.  By group mobs, I don't mean heroics, I mean multiple solo mobs.  You just have to continually go all out for yellow encounters.  STR = Power, so more STR is good so you don't run out of power.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
oaksilenc

General

Ok I got started in the STR tree. Gettin ready to go up the bucker line cause that looks very good.

One thing though, my AA exp seems lacking. I hear about how fast you can move up that in the early levels but I must be missing something simple. Im in the new Neriak zone and my quests are thinnin out for turn-in AA exp and discover AA exp.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
Makkaio

Loremaster

Locs and quests make them go fast.  Do green quests in all areas at your level.  I can't remember if you get AA points for grey quests.

1.  Nameds.  Find the solo ones.  You only get AA credit for the first kill.  Get into some groups to do heroic named runs.

2.  Collect quests.  Collect all those shineys and when you are close to completing them, maybe buy the last one or two you may need.

3.  There are certain pieces of loot that will give you AA.  You can't really control this, but it's just a reminder.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
Rufio
Server: Everfrost

Loremaster

Not sure what lvl you are, but I mainly solo or duo when playing due to the hours I play vs the rest of the eq2 greater population. I am lvl 22 and have 20 AA almost 21, and I think that the AA you get early on in the game is far greater than what you potentially get in the end game stages. For that reason and to make the most out of what your guardian can bring to the table for his level, I would suggest mentoring a lvl 10 and pick up every quest you can find in Neriak, Darklight Wood, Commonlands, Antonica, Greater Fay etc etc you get my point. The newer zones are designed with AA to be inclusive in quests, so start with those because more likely than not they include AA in the reward/ hand in.

Some of the older zones weren`t designed with AA in mind and because of the time it would take to implement every single quest with AA, they opted to randomly select soem quests then focus on the newer quest lines with respect to AA. Well this is my thery and so far it holds truth.

So in short, mentor a lvl 10, you will get 95% less exp for the quests and if you locked to catch up on AA you should have no trouble bolstering yourself even furthur.

In master crafted gear the hardest monster i have solo`d is a lvl 20^^^ heroic named.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #14
JeffBship

Loremaster

If you want to maximize your AA exp, and also get some more adventuring exp...

You get much more experience if you complete quests that are higher level than you are.  So, stay at your full level and get all the quests you can at that level.  Get the easy quests that are killing solo mobs, or the ones that are simply running around and talking to npc's.  Then, when the quest is completed, before you turn it in, mentor a level one character.  Then turn in the quest and you get AA exp based on a quest that is 20 levels above you.

A quest that would give you 0.5% AA in your 20's will give you 20 or 30% when you turn it in as a level one.  After you turn it in, unmentor back to your original level and do the next one.

If you are duo'ing with a friend, each of you can create a baby toon and take turns mentoring each other when you turn in your quests.  Same goes for collection quests.  You can use your solo time to run through all the quests you can, then when your friend logs on mentor and turn them all in.

JeffBship is offline   Reply With Quote