EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Vual
Server: Oasis

Loremaster

Will current items get +focus added to them? Right now I am not wearing a single piece of gear with +focus, since this stat was probably left out when it was "useless".

Also if you queue a spell, you can cast while running at full speed. (already /bugged it)

Vual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Griffinhart

Loremaster

I did a feedback on this already, but with a focus of almost 500, casting a combat spell actually causes me to STOP running and roots me durring the duration of the cast.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Vual

Loremaster

I think the speed each point of focus over the cap gives should be increased (more than doubled) -- unless you are itemizing a whole lot of +focus. Right now it appears to be each point of focus is .05 runspeed, I think it should be at about .15-.25 per point.

At the moment it's not all that usefull, the only major impact I see is now I have to hit cancel (ESC) before I have to run away from something due to an encounter's script. And even if we are running at "0%" speed and casting, while it may be helpful on some fights, generally you want to find a spot and stay in it through the duration of the fight. So I do not believe it will be game breaking.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Griffinhart

Loremaster

Ugh, I see how this is working now.  Terrible implimentation. 

Being unable to move while casting isn't good at all. 

It should be something that allows a spell being cast to have a chance to continue casting when you move.  Not something that roots you during the duration of the cast.  At the very least, it should be a togglable ability. 

Old 07-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
LardLord

Loremaster

My preferred implementation would have been for focus to increase the distance you can move each cast before being interrupted, but this works OK for me.  I mapped the "cancel spell cast" button years ago, and it's not an issue at all.

I also like that I no longer have to wait a split second after stopping before I can start a spell cast.  Overall, this is one of the only bright spots I've seen in the GU so far.

LardLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Morghus

Loremaster

Yeah, the way it is now...I see people getting killed by it.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Ge'Sar

Loremaster

This is just badly thought out, badly designed, badly implimented.

You've reduced our abilities, not enhanced them with this.   Placing a permant snare on casting we have to focus our way out of is crazy.

Ge'Sar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
daray

Loremaster

Well if it was implemented as people here are suggesting (chance to not interrupt you when you move), then it would seriously reduce the usefulness of this mechanic because then people would still NOT move for fear of being interrupted. At least this way you know that you won't be getting interrupted when you cast and your spell will complete (either because it will stop and root you, or because it will allow you to move and still complete). People will just need to get used to playing a little differently, and tie their cancel spellcast to either a keyboard shortcut or mouse button.
daray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
hhhjhj

Master

An increased radius of where you started casting the spell would be an idea. Once youve stepped out of the radius you get interupted.

Ex: 100+ focus would be ~2 meters

200+ ~ 4 meters

ect..

EDIT: then again this would have people bunnyhopping around in circles casting spells in PVP and stuff... lol Also if people were able to surpass the cap with extreme focus boosting gear they would effectively be able to just run straight and keep casting shorter cast time spells, since after one spell finished the next spell would open up a new radius infront of the caster. I think im analyzing this too much im gonna stop.

hhhjhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Ryai
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Paper Tigers

Loremaster

Oh wow. This change is going to be horrible for almost all players. You've made the cancel cast macro a necessity for players across all levels with this change. Its horrible.
Ryai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
hhhjhj

Master

Yea from a PVP stand point this is not going to work, especially with the auto recast when you get interupted  and the spell gets knocked back. SMILEY

hhhjhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
LardLord

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Oh wow. This change is going to be horrible for almost all players. You've made the cancel cast macro a necessity for players across all levels with this change. Its horrible.

Couldn't they just map the Cancel Casting button to X or SPACE instead of leaving it unmapped by default? 

LardLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Morghus

Loremaster

The base effect of focus should be looked at imo. The way it currently works, the number for how much focus you have is pointless as abilities that state they interrupt outright interrupt you no matter how much focus you have.

Also, it never mattered how hard you were being hit, if something hits you rapidly for 1 damage it will interrupt you more than being hit for large amounts of damage.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Porfirius

Loremaster

Focus bug

450 focus  speed -95%

483 focus  speed -98,3%

557 focus  spped -94,7%

also need a function to cancel the uninterrupted from the focus. For example, on the same residues can Tormax in the aura began to cast long spells. Or on the mobs which would wipe castes, many castes interrupt jump.

slowing down on flying mounts will not work if you start to cast and then take off.

Porfirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
Wytie

Mouse Betrayer!

pvp combat will be screwed but then again I guess it was going to be hard to make it any worse, gj on figureing out how I guess.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

My preferred implementation would have been for focus to increase the distance you can move each cast before being interrupted

If it were me, I would have implemented it using this method.

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Shotneedle

Loremaster

I don't see how this makes anything worse. This is a great change for healers (and to a lesser extent, mages).

I guess most people don't use escape to cancel spells and rely on moving/jumping.

Buffrat - 92 Troubador - AB

Arbitrat - 92 Berserker - AB

Guarddog - 92 Warden - AB
Shotneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

I guess most people don't use escape to cancel spells and rely on moving/jumping.

If it ain't broke after 12+ years...

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
Karelyn

Loremaster

I don't rely on moving to cancel spell casting , I have a key bound for doing that.

I do rather rely on being able to move quickly when I want to joust , or when the tank moves out of range , and having to remember to press an extra key before each move sounds like it is going to be extremely irrititating/fatal.

Karelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #20
Ryai
Guild: Paper Tigers

Loremaster

The way this change is implemented should be immediately rolled back and re-evaluated. The effects are so far reaching to basic gameplay mechanics that this should NEVER go live.
Ryai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #21
Finora

Tester

I don't see how this makes anything worse. This is a great change for healers (and to a lesser extent, mages).

I do use esc to interrupt spell/ability as well as movement depending on what I'm doing. However, being rooted in place while casting is BAD implementation.

Most of my characters are healers and I fail to see how it will be great to be rooted hehe unless it also makes me uninterruptable by mobs (it doesn't as far as I've seen).

I was expecting something more like casting while moving in Vanguard and just find this disappointing.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
Circa
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Vigilance

Loremaster

It's a pretty bad way to implement this. Would have been awesome for hm dragon in icy keep tho.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #23
Ge'Sar

Loremaster

Again, this is just a way for them announce something cool at Fan Fair, then say HA! Just kidding, we weren't really gonna give you that!  Fooled ya!

Ge'Sar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #24
Vual

Loremaster

The important question is: are you still able to run at full speed in 4RT??
Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #25
denmom

Loremaster

Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...

I play a Wizard and Coercer, I raid with the Coercer.

More than once I've had to cancel a spell in raid on my Coercer.  I don't hit the esc key, I tend to take a step back or forward, one hit of the arrow key, and as I do that I'm queuing up the spell I need to hit.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a mage or healer in raid jump to cancel a spell.  Quite a lot.

I've done this sort of thing for the years I've played EQ2, since launch.

If we're rooted as we cast, this is going to be Very Bad(tm) for raiding.  You need to joust, you need to reposition, you need to run the scripts for named, many of which have you moving/running.

Even in overland and instances you must do the above.  Look at Witchdoctor Vuh Duh's script, Lord Bob, the first named in Pools (can't remember how to spell it), to name a few scripts that have you moving in combat.

This also means that for tanks who cast spells, Crusaders, they'll be rooted.  Now that may be a good thing for tanking, but what if they must move to get a mob that goes after the mage because they're overzealous in their casting?  Rooted, can't cancel, dead mage.

I agree with the others in this thread, please don't make this live or change it to where it's a better ability.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #26
Karelyn

Loremaster

The change might work reasonably nicely if they provide us with a toggleable 'Focus Stance' ability. Switching it on would allow you to walk slowly while casting ,and switching it off would you allow you to run instantly , at the cost of interrupting your spell.

With something like that you could use the mode that would be most convenient for the current fight.

Karelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #27
Valena

Loremaster

Xalmat wrote:

My preferred implementation would have been for focus to increase the distance you can move each cast before being interrupted

If it were me, I would have implemented it using this method.

This is what I was expecting after hearing the "feature" announced at FF. This would have beena wonderful change.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #28
Trensharo

Loremaster

Couldn't they just map the Cancel Casting button to X or SPACE instead of leaving it unmapped by default? 

Really you're not making much sense.  They simply need to revamp the way this works to affect how far you can move before an interrupt is triggered.  At the current scale rate it's a waste of time.

Not everyone plays with a keyboard.

Trensharo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #29
Banditman

Loremaster

This mechanic simply can't go in as it is currently implimented.  It is a cool idea, but this implimentation is going to be a huge issue for a lot of people, to the point that they'll want to just turn it off, which is unfair.

I would favor the "chance to continue casting" far more than this, but even that isn't great because quite frankly the chance will be way too small to even be worth considering, given what I see now.

It also needs to take into account the numerous abilities which can already be cast on the run, and IGNORE those abilities.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #30
Taladorm
Guild: Seekers of the Rose

Loremaster

Here is an idea to throw out for discussion.

How about making movement drastically increase the cast time of a spell?

1.      When casting a spell your movement rate is not affected by any buffs or items (base movement rate only).

2.      When moving your cast time is not affected by spell haste or any effects which reduce cast time bellow the spells base time.

3.      When moving a casting penalty is added to the cast time as described below.

4.      When you stop moving the casting penalty is dropped and the spell resumes from the same percent complete.

For discussion purposes say the movement penalty is 10 times the base cast time of a spell while under the focus cap.  So for example a spell that has a base cast time of 2 seconds to cast will take you 20 seconds to cast while moving.  Now you can have over cap focus reduce the penalty.

Focus skill over cap reduces casting penalty:

• +0:       10x  (casting speed multiplier while moving)
  • +125:   9x
  • +250:   8x
  • +375:   7x
  • +500:   6x
  • +625:   5x
  • +750:   4x
  • +875:   3x
  • +1000: 2x

So if you can manage to get +1000 focus a 2 second cast time spell will take you 4 seconds to cast while running.

To further describe # 4 above:  Let’s say you start casting a 6 second spell and you’re not beyond the focus cap but you have 100% spell haste. Normally standing still you’ll cast in 3 seconds.  Now a mob charges you and you run to the tank which takes 6 seconds of movement.  While your moving the spell jumps up to the base cast times and the 10x penalty (60 seconds).  While you were traveling to the tank the spell cast has advanced 10%.  So when you stop next to the tank the penalty drops and you spell haste kicks back in and you have 2.7 seconds left till the spell fires.

Now the same example but with +1000 focus, the penalty is only 2x while moving (12 seconds).  While moving 50% of the spell cast and you’ll have 1.5 seconds left when you stop.

The numbers I have listed are just for discussion and can be changed to suite.

Taladorm

Taladorm is offline   Reply With Quote