EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > PVP Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

I'm somewhat interested in starting a character on Nagafen, but am looking for some advice. I'm a Silver player. I have access to Troubadour & Conjurer, as well as the default classes. I've played for a long time, but not very much at all in PvP.

I've no interest at all in playing Fighters or Priests, if that helps. Most of my play experience is with Scout classes, with which I'm OK, but not an "expert."

I don't care as to whether I'm FP or Q, faction-wise.

I read the "Tips, Tricks, & Stories" thread, but it didn't help much for a totally new player. But, FWIW, if I do come to Naggy I'm not really interested in PvE, except strictly for leveling if necessary.

No, I've no interest at all in Battlegrounds. Is that where all the PvP action is, these days? If so, I'll stick to Freeport SMILEY

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Darkmantis
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Replaced

Loremaster

There is a ton of pvp out there but key issue is its only during WF's.As it stands right now WF will pop people will try and burn the towers get their tokens and call out ASAP. After that people bg until the next WF pops.So in other words open world pvp is limited to once every 2hours for 15-20mins.Until SOE does something with open world pvp it remain in this exact cycle.Battlegrounds are ruining the nagafen server. there is up to 3 BG hubs open at one time and tons of naggy players there.But if you want to play a conj, go for it they are really nice right now. Best tip i can give you is join a guild meet some friends and play as a team with them. 2 good healers 1 good tank a bard or chanter 2 good mage dps, download ACT. And your set! 

Darkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

There is a ton of pvp out there but key issue is its only during WF's.As it stands right now WF will pop people will try and burn the towers get their tokens and call out ASAP. After that people bg until the next WF pops.

Thanks. I assume that BG = Battlegrounds ... what is WF? I've never heard the term before, I guess that shows how far behind the times I am

Old 07-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Darkmantis
Guild: Replaced

Loremaster

Warfield

Darkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Warfield

Please forgive the (possibly) dumb question, but what's the difference between a Battleground & a Warfield?

Old 07-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Charmnevac
Guild: Taylor Gang

Loremaster

Warfields are Nagafen server specific PVP events every 2 hours where the 2 main factions ( Qeynos and FP ) have to kill towers out in designated zones, Antonica, EL, and KP, depending on level. During the Warfield, the server population usually goes out and PVPs in these warfields, so they can get tokens. If you win the warfield, you get a good amount of tokens, if you lose, you get a minimal amount. However, you still get tokens from the people you kill as they are all body drops. The tokens you get are havoc marks, the same tokens you get in BG's.

Charmnevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Thank you Charm, that's pretty cool .... kinda like a public quest, sorta, only PvP? That sounds like fun .... maybe I'll check out Naggy after all!

SMILEY

Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Charmnevac
Guild: Taylor Gang

Loremaster

It could be fun if it wasn't lag-infested, and people roaming around in raids all the time. That's just from my perspective though, maybe you would enjoy it.

Charmnevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Azekah1

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

There is a ton of pvp out there but key issue is its only during WF's.As it stands right now WF will pop people will try and burn the towers get their tokens and call out ASAP. After that people bg until the next WF pops.So in other words open world pvp is limited to once every 2hours for 15-20mins.Until SOE does something with open world pvp it remain in this exact cycle.Battlegrounds are ruining the nagafen server. there is up to 3 BG hubs open at one time and tons of naggy players there.But if you want to play a conj, go for it they are really nice right now. Best tip i can give you is join a guild meet some friends and play as a team with them. 2 good healers 1 good tank a bard or chanter 2 good mage dps, download ACT. And your set! 

Every player chooses to pvp this way. It is not SOE's fault. There's no good players left on this server. It is dead.

And I find it funny that no one mentioned this, but FreeJazz, as a silver player, you will stand no chance in PvP. Don't even try it lol. Stick with Freeport.

Azekah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
Daalilama
Guild: Illuminati

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

It could be fun if it wasn't lag-infested, and people roaming around in raids all the time. That's just from my perspective though, maybe you would enjoy it.

Whats funny is in the heyday the TG zerg was not nearly half as laggy as a standard warfield is....and it doesnt matter who is killing towers or other players since warfields become nothing more than a turn based fight due to the lag....they can keep it as it is only to crash the server everytime the zone hits critical mass or maybe take a page out of BG's and set up a special warfields server minus trash and npc mobs...it might reduce the lag but tbh I doubt it.

Daalilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
japanfour

Loremaster

Azekah1 wrote:

And I find it funny that no one mentioned this, but FreeJazz, as a silver player, you will stand no chance in PvP. Don't even try it lol. Stick with Freeport.

Actually right now is the time to do it, Gear stats are nerfed , all you would really need to focus on is spells, and mastercrafted . I mean it will obviously be more of a challenge, but its doable, just have some thick skin and be ready to fail alot. IMO find someone you see on here/flames that is good at their class and pick their brain.

japanfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Azekah1 wrote:

Um ... thanks for the warning, but I'll find that out for myself.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
Azekah1

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

Azekah1 wrote:

Um ... thanks for the warning, but I'll find that out for myself.

Go for it. By the way, you will be lucky to find any pvp pre level 80. If you are not interested in PvE, I would suggest finding a guild to power level you.

Azekah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Azekah1 wrote:

you will be lucky to find any pvp pre level 80

Then I guess I won't have to worry about it until then, & I'll have plenty of time to get what I need to get & do what I need to do.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Mary the Prophetess

Loremaster

Sorry, don't mean to intrude, but here is something I've definately noticed as a bluebie doing the BGs. 

Nagafen players as *individulas* are generally no better or worse than blue players.  However, Nagafen players as a *group* TOTALLY dominate!  They have a balanced group and more importantly, they work as a team and not a collection of individuals.  Plus they are much more savvy about their opponents classes and their strengths and weaknesses, and they can tailor thier play style to take advantage of that knowledge.  In PvP, experience *does* matter.

So whoever it was above that offered the advice to get into a guild of experienced PvPers was spot on IMHO.

Mary the Prophetess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #16
Daalilama
Guild: Illuminati

Loremaster

Mary the Prophetess wrote:

Sorry, don't mean to intrude, but here is something I've definately noticed as a bluebie doing the BGs. 

Nagafen players as *individulas* are generally no better or worse than blue players.  However, Nagafen players as a *group* TOTALLY dominate!  They have a balanced group and more importantly, they work as a team and not a collection of individuals.  Plus they are much more savvy about their opponents classes and their strengths and weaknesses, and they can tailor thier play style to take advantage of that knowledge.  In PvP, experience *does* matter.

So whoever it was above that offered the advice to get into a guild of experienced PvPers was spot on IMHO.

Pretty fair assessment....I can say of at least one gears bg in which 1 side was an all equalibrium grp with a fury from my guild facing a displaced group...what happened is the equalibrium grp rocking 75k hp across the board wound up finding out that all their pretty raid gear didnt amount to much for most of the gears fight as the displaced group pretty much had them most of the bg....while equalibriums group did finally win is was a hard fought win...the reason displaced's group did so well...simple coordination and years of skill learned in open pvp...its not hard to attain these on a pve server but I have done enough bg's recently to spot way too many bluebies (no insult intended...maybe) refusing to work with the group and heading off on their own (i.e. tanks runing out in reckless intending to purely dps forgetting to taunt the other group off of their healers).

Daalilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #17
Applo

Loremaster

I don't know what classes are available for silver, but you will not be viable in pvp without access to Fabled gear for higher levels no matter what class you choose.

Since you can't lock AAs as a silver, I suppose you could research gear to quest in advance and focus on a combination of sta/int, potency and ability modifiers and you might be okay as a mage against other players in full offensive mode, especially if you found a few friends to run around with.  But to be honest, you aren't going to find much pvp until you hit 80 and you will basically get 1 or 2 shotted without access to fabled gear or a healer dedicated to keeping you up.

Solo pvp basically doesn't exist, so keep that in mind.  Without a good active guild or a few friends to head out with you in open world, you aren't going to enjoy anything on Nagafen.  And since you can't lock, unless you bring your friends with you to the server, you are not going to find people to run with you because players on Nagafen do not level or quest in open world.  The Nagafen M.O. is to hide in instances to grind and get powerleveled until they are maxed out at whatever level they chose to lock at.  Sounds counterintuitive or cynical, but ask anyone on the server or see for yourself, it's just the truth.

If you want a taste of what it would be like, take a BG.  Now imagine that experience in Antonica or Enchanted Lands (this is a best case scenario that is basically impossible to have happen in open world pvp regarding balanced grouped numbers.)  Now imagine that you were the only one in your group, but the other group was a x2 mercenaries in tow (or imagine being in the x2 vs 1 person).  Now imagine no one shows up except you.  Now you have a good idea of PvP on Nagafen.

Applo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Applo wrote:

but you will not be viable in pvp without access to Fabled gear for higher levels no matter what class you choose.

Getting Fabled gear is not an issue, since item & spell unlockers can be had for Station Cash.