EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
Peppto
Server: Najena

Loremaster

Hey all! Well, last I checked it isn't may anymore, lemme check again... nope, still not may anymore, seems june has kicked in, wonder where the "may update plans" are.... are they on my desk... lemme see... nope! Lemme check in the fridge... nope! Wait... I found them! Seems SOE swept them under the rug to make room for SOEmote SMILEY

I was really looking forward to using my character in the dungeon maker(been lookin forward to it since DM came out..)           The quest updates being listed on npcs(I assume they meant on mobs) would be nice as well(I havnt seen that since the quest helper mod in wow 5 years ago)

But instead what SOE gave us was the equivelent of a mother(customers) asking a kid(SOE) if they'd done their chores yet, and the kid replying "no, but look at this /makes stupid face(reference to SOEmote)"

Not impressed...

Peppto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

Hey all! Well, last I checked it isn't may anymore, lemme check again... nope, still not may anymore, seems june has kicked in, wonder where the "may update plans" are.... are they on my desk... lemme see... nope! Lemme check in the fridge... nope! Wait... I found them! Seems SOE swept them under the rug to make room for SOEmote

I was really looking forward to using my character in the dungeon maker(been lookin forward to it since DM came out..)           The quest updates being listed on npcs(I assume they meant on mobs) would be nice as well(I havnt seen that since the quest helper mod in wow 5 years ago)

But instead what SOE gave us was the equivelent of a mother(customers) asking a kid(SOE) if they'd done their chores yet, and the kid replying "no, but look at this /makes stupid face(reference to SOEmote)"

Not impressed...

The important comments to take note of, from the May Update Plans, are as follows:1) Dungeon Maker - Play as your own character"We are still in testing and want to get this one right, so we are going to do a lot of testing before we go live. And of course we’ll have it on the Test server when we feel it’s ready."This translates to a feature, that never had a chance of being released in May. They said there is a lot of work to do on it, and it will be on the Test server when they feel it is at a point of being ready for such, which means it is still a long way off Live.2) Quest indicators from targetting mobs"That’s going to take some time, but the functionality is already there and it’s been great to see it working in game. We are hoping to get the first phase of this out to the Test server soon."No translation is required. It's going to take some time. Pretty much the same story as #1.The reality is, SOE done exactly what they said they would (in May). As there is no list of bugs they vowed to fix, there is no way to hold them to anything in that regard. They have started poking at quest indicators. They are poking at playing your own toon in dungeon finder. They made changes so Devs do not need to reboot to apply changes on Test.You eventually become accustomed to understanding SOE-speak. Read exactly what is written, very carefully. Never assume or hope for the best. Believe it only when you see it. Assurances and promises mean nothing.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Neiloch

Loremaster

I'm still confused why they are so reluctant to allow player characters in player dungeons at a faster pace.

Anyone who wants to simply farm for tokens has already done so.

Anyone who actually cares about the designs of peoples dungeons can take them in 'proper' with avatars or player characters. It's not as if a player acts like 'ooo look at the design of this, i'm going to take my time' on an avatar, but with a player character 'OMG melt everything spamspamspam whats all this stupid text lolfailzorz tokens plzkthx'

So I'm inclined to think they plan on making rewards from the DM more 'significant' after implementing, and basically live testing, PC's in player dungeons.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
inspire1444568

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Hey all! Well, last I checked it isn't may anymore, lemme check again... nope, still not may anymore, seems june has kicked in, wonder where the "may update plans" are.... are they on my desk... lemme see... nope! Lemme check in the fridge... nope! Wait... I found them! Seems SOE swept them under the rug to make room for SOEmote

Not impressed...

The important comments to take note of, from the May Update Plans, are as follows:1) Dungeon Maker - Play as your own character"We are still in testing and want to get this one right, so we are going to do a lot of testing before we go live. And of course we’ll have it on the Test server when we feel it’s ready."This translates to a feature, that never had a chance of being released in May. They said there is a lot of work to do on it, and it will be on the Test server when they feel it is at a point of being ready for such, which means it is still a long way off Live.2) Quest indicators from targetting mobs"That’s going to take some time, but the functionality is already there and it’s been great to see it working in game. We are hoping to get the first phase of this out to the Test server soon."No translation is required. It's going to take some time. Pretty much the same story as #1.The reality is, SOE done exactly what they said they would (in May). As there is no list of bugs they vowed to fix, there is no way to hold them to anything in that regard. They have started poking at quest indicators. They are poking at playing your own toon in dungeon finder. They made changes so Devs do not need to reboot to apply changes on Test.You eventually become accustomed to understanding SOE-speak. Read exactly what is written, very carefully. Never assume or hope for the best. Believe it only when you see it. Assurances and promises mean nothing.

To compile this list is enough to read Forum... carefully !

These lists compiled many times for most classes !!

Feedback from players is work (yea, part of work) of online games producing !!!

Indeed, who would protect SoE, if not Inq (and cleric too). Your bugs are fixed quickly! And not because other classes do not make lists of bugs !

inspire1444568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
JShield

Loremaster

Not impressed...

http://www.everquest2.com/news/arti...052012&id=51211

We've jotted down a few things below that are in progress this month to give you an idea of just some of what we're working on right now. We hope to release them in May but won't until they are ready

E3 announcements are on Tuesday.

JShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Xephier
Server: Guk

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Not impressed...

We've jotted down a few things below that are in progress this month to give you an idea of just some of what we're working on right now. We hope to release them in May but won't until they are ready

E3 eh, I REALLY hope one of the things that comes out at E3 is eqnext. The code in this game has screwed the game over ever since they canned the original devs. I would personally kill to see a new fresh version of EQ that isn't damned from day one.

Cuz let's be honest, there are WAY too many flaws in how SOE is forced to work with eq2. needing to take down ALL of the servers to merge TWO servers. SOE needing to take down an entire server to implement a patch that only effects ONE zone. And last but not least, SOE needing to do MONTHS of testing to implement something as seemingly simplistic as letting your characters into dungeon maker, as well the apparent and total inability to allow flying mounts within the citys because of... lag??(seems like a lame dam excuse to me)

Xephier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
gourdon

Loremaster

They really don't have to worry that much about balancing Dungeon Maker for our characters. A few precautions will prevent ridiculous farming of marks.

1.  Give far fewer marks for playing your character instead of avatar.

2.  Place a cap on how many marks can be had from a dungeon.

3.  Place a cap on how many marks can be earned in a specific period of time.

Just keep the rewards stringent at first.  There is no need to try and calculate the right balance from looking at our level, AAs and gear.  There is nothing wrong with the notion that more marks can be earned using an avatar than your character.  Many will still use their characters.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Lizabethan

Philosopher

gourdon wrote:

2.  Place a cap on how many marks can be had from a dungeon.

This. This, this, this. I can't tell you how many dungeons I've been in with just 200 mobs placed in one room, no decoration. And hey, if you like to farm (I've done it myself to level alts), not a problem. But seeing so many dungeons of endless mobs and spending 3 hours in them for "omg, 300 tokens!" isn't fun.

As for capping marks/time, I don't know. Capping the overall marks in the first place, from the outset, is better to me. Some people run dungeons slower as a solo player, some will group with four others and knock one out. Capping the amount of marks you can make in a period of time kinda punishes the faster soloer/group, imo.

And if they gave fewer tokens for playing as your character than an avatar, how is that supposed to encourage people to do the dungeons?

Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Morrias
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dynasty Reborn

Loremaster

The May update plans basically had a list of things the developers were working on the future updates. Yeah, they really did that.

/thread

Morrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Geothe

Loremaster

May Update Plans:Continue to ignore broken itemization, progression, and overall lack of worthwhile content.

CHECK!

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Xephier

Loremaster

I think too much emphasis is put on the tokens. The tokens are only good for appearance crap and more dungeon maker crap. So who gives a flying F if people farm 500000 of them? I believe what is being ballanced is the xp so people can't get their BL from 30-90 in a day through the DM. At least that'd be the only logical thing to ballance, if SOE is sitting there for 2-3 months ballancing it so people don't farm too many tokens I'd be ticked...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #12
Haapy

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Not impressed...

E3 eh, I REALLY hope one of the things that comes out at E3 is eqnext. The code in this game has screwed the game over ever since they canned the original devs. I would personally kill to see a new fresh version of EQ that isn't damned from day one.

Cuz let's be honest, there are WAY too many flaws in how SOE is forced to work with eq2. needing to take down ALL of the servers to merge TWO servers. SOE needing to take down an entire server to implement a patch that only effects ONE zone. And last but not least, SOE needing to do MONTHS of testing to implement something as seemingly simplistic as letting your characters into dungeon maker, as well the apparent and total inability to allow flying mounts within the citys because of... lag??(seems like a lame dam excuse to me)

LOL, you would LOVE TOR then. Hahaha, it makes SoE look like divine beings that give chocolate and orgasmic delights. Espetially when it comes to downtime and patching/new content.

Haapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Xephier

Loremaster

Haapy wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Not impressed...

LOL, you would LOVE TOR then. Hahaha, it makes SoE look like divine beings that give chocolate and orgasmic delights. Espetially when it comes to downtime and patching/new content.

Actuallly I played TOR, race selection(as with 98% of every other mmo) sucks hard EQ 1-2 are the only mmos with a decent race selection, but there was more voiceovers in the first 20-30 levels of that game than in all of eq2, which I found sad... Regardless, a properly programed EQ would be my ideal game, eqnext ftw(hopefully /crosses fingers)

Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
Raknid

Loremaster

Haapy wrote:

TOR has only been out 6 months. A better comparison for downtime and new content would be EQ2 in the same time frame (which was ~100 patches) and Bloodline Chronicles, not as it sits currently.

BLC was ok, but not near as popular as Splitpaw.

The difference between the two games over the comparable lifetime of those games is nowhere near as stark as you make it out to be.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
thorn

Loremaster

It is now June, in case you didnt know, who cares what was introduced in May unless they are talking about the awesome feature called facial emote. LOL.

thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
convict

Loremaster

thorn wrote:

It is now June, in case you didnt know, who cares what was introduced in May unless they are talking about the awesome feature called facial emote. LOL.

Was there any real update plans anyway lol? I know one thing was a yearly event, and the other was new marketplace items, so what was really an update that got pushed?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
thorn

Loremaster

The bug fixes for skyshrine and by the look of it, theres more to come.. fixes i mean.

thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
Xephier

Loremaster

convict wrote:

thorn wrote:

Was there any real update plans anyway lol? I know one thing was a yearly event, and the other was new marketplace items, so what was really an update that got pushed?

Did you even read the OP? Playing own character in DM and quest updates listed on mobs.

Best I can tell though SOE worded it badly, "may update plans" should have been worded as "Maybe posibly thinking about going to test server plans"

Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
convict

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

convict wrote:

thorn wrote:

Did you even read the OP? Playing own character in DM and quest updates listed on mobs.

Best I can tell though SOE worded it badly, "may update plans" should have been worded as "Maybe posibly thinking about going to test server plans"

Really? Half of the "update plans" was stuff they already do, nothing new, and nothing special, so no, they werent updates, and they can't say plans if half was implemented, monthly/yearly event they always do and mp items.