EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > Performance Support
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Sepulchrel
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Apollo

Loremaster

I must stay I'm still amazed on how computers have such a struggle keeping up with the game's engine. Technically speaking I'm all aware the code is not created nor very optimized for the multi-core scene we are in today, but still.There seem to be some aspect that create huge slowdowns, look in one direction and I got like 90FPS, look at the other direction and it drops to as low as 15fps. The bothering aspect is the extreme dynamic shift in performance, one minute you’re looking at 50fps, the other dropping to a painful 12 to 15 fps. With shadows off I get pretty much 29fps but with still a lot of low fps drops.This is not normal for this system (which runs every single game out there in its sleep):- Core i7 960 3,2Ghz- 12GB DDR RAM- 2x ATI HD8570It's a fresh install of Windows 7 and tried a few sets of ATI drivers.My GPU's utilization is not high, so I reckon it's a CPU single core bottleneck issue and limited dual core support (I'm certainly not expecting quad core utilization/optimization of the engine.

Reality is far too depressing to look at for more than 5 minutes.
Sepulchrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
NrthnStar5

Loremaster

This has been the bane of EQ2 since it was released. Worst part is I've spent far too much money on computer upgrades solely for the purpose of EQ2 only to be disappointed with the minimal improvements.

After this long, it has soured my feelings towards the game. I highly doubt we will ever see any drastic improvements at this point. Hopefully they learned their lesson and won't repeat the same mistakes next time around.

NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Marcusaval

General

Somthing has happened since the Halas update I have an I870  8 gigs 1333 ram Win 7 64 bit ultimate with 2 x 1 gig ATi Radeon 5850; my framerates have dropped dramatically and dispite turning settings down wont come back up. My sons much lower specified laptop manages faster framesrates its very disappointing as my machine is more than adequately specified to play anygame.

Marcusaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Surok

After almost 6 years you would think you would start to see some performance increases when upgrading. Three upgrades later the game runs pretty much the way I got it on day one (like [Removed for Content]).

I don't think upgrading will ever fix the problem. The only thing I think that would fix the performance issue is a graphics engine rewrite, more powerful hardware will never EVER solve this problem. Maybe in 20 years but by then EQ2 will be a distant memory.

I've played Aion and Champions and these games blow away EQ2 in graphics department and they are silky smooth with all the settings turn to max. So how come a 6 year old video game run like crap? In Eq1 there was a major character model upgrade, one can only hope the EQ2 team considers this issue worthy of spending some money in order to solve it. Seriously SOE, stop holding out and hoping more powerful hardware will make this problem go away, it hasn't and thats because the engine is fundamentally flawed.

Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Sepulchrel
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Apollo

Loremaster

I think at this stage they are thinking about Everquest 3, I'm not sure if they will re-write the whole engine.

I must admit, I find the graphics certainly very acceptable for a 6 year old engine, at launch they said it's an engine warrant for the future, at that time I could only dream about Very High Quality and Extreme Quality, but I would have never guessed a $3500 computer 6 years later would still not be able to run it smoothly.

There is only one story and conclusion here, bad 3D engine with very poor hardware usage. It's like mounting square wheels on a Ferrari...

Reality is far too depressing to look at for more than 5 minutes.
Sepulchrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Martinus

General

[email protected] wrote:

I think at this stage they are thinking about Everquest 3, I'm not sure if they will re-write the whole engine.

I must admit, I find the graphics certainly very acceptable for a 6 year old engine, at launch they said it's an engine warrant for the future, at that time I could only dream about Very High Quality and Extreme Quality, but I would have never guessed a $3500 computer 6 years later would still not be able to run it smoothly.

There is only one story and conclusion here, bad 3D engine with very poor hardware usage. It's like mounting square wheels on a Ferrari...

If they do another Everquest, I doubt it will be on a PC. It will run on PS/3. SOE is working on DC Online. If all goes well on the consol market, you can bet the next EQ wont be on the PC.

We all wish that SoE would invest more in providing a better up to date client. But sadly EQ2 don't have the account base of WoW. This kind of project cost alot of money and resources.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Martinus

General

[email protected] wrote:

I must stay I'm still amazed on how computers have such a struggle keeping up with the game's engine. Technically speaking I'm all aware the code is not created nor very optimized for the multi-core scene we are in today, but still.There seem to be some aspect that create huge slowdowns, look in one direction and I got like 90FPS, look at the other direction and it drops to as low as 15fps. The bothering aspect is the extreme dynamic shift in performance, one minute you’re looking at 50fps, the other dropping to a painful 12 to 15 fps. With shadows off I get pretty much 29fps but with still a lot of low fps drops.This is not normal for this system (which runs every single game out there in its sleep):- Core i7 960 3,2Ghz- 12GB DDR RAM- 2x ATI HD8570It's a fresh install of Windows 7 and tried a few sets of ATI drivers.My GPU's utilization is not high, so I reckon it's a CPU single core bottleneck issue and limited dual core support (I'm certainly not expecting quad core utilization/optimization of the engine.

Like you Sepulch, I get low FPS when turning around. And when I use the game transportation. You got an nice rig and we can't take advantage of it in this game. Sad.

Can anyone really confirm that the game doesn't support SLI or Crossfire? If not, I'm sure for alot of people, just having that kind of support would add some FPS to the game. I have an ATI 4870x2. It's 2 chips on an single card. But the driver is seeing my card as 2 cards. So, if the game use only one chip, i can see why I get low FPS.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Jaremai

Loremaster

I remember reading a long time ago, Smedley or someone high up in the food chain was asked about why they didn't upgrade EQ1's graphic engine to something more modern.  The response was that they did not want to do that because it would change the "minimum requirements" for hardware necessary to run the game - and existing customers that were using the minimum would be forced to upgrade to continue playing.

I'm sure many people would tell those users to suck it up and how cheap new equipment is, etc etc but Sony's suits have to look at it from a business perspective, and the possibility of a false advertising lawsuit if they changed the minimum specs.

I believe EQ2 has the same problem.  Keep in mind it released in 2004, so was developed 2001-2003.  Graphic technology (and associated hardware) has advanced a lot since then, but the engine remains the same.  I would wager part of it is the same reason as the above for EQ1, but I also believe that they do not have the manpower to do an engine overhaul, nor the subscription base to justify making that investment.  My wager would say that all of that manpower/talent is going to EQ3/Next where they can release an engine with "minimum requirements" that better reflect what an average gamer would have today, versus 7 years ago.

Jaremai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Kendayar

Lord

People don't understand that EQ2 was made at a time when single-core processors were expected to be running at higher speeds than they are now. Multicore processors weren't even a blip on the consumer radar yet and GPUs weren't being used to do all the heavy processing they are doing now. People also don't realize that there isn't some magic button to hit that makes a program utilize more than one thread. That has to be done manually and it's not easy.

There is a man riding a horse on my shirt.

Kendayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
Skywarrior

Loremaster

MartinusPe wrote:

If they do another Everquest, I doubt it will be on a PC. It will run on PS/3. SOE is working on DC Online. If all goes well on the consol market, you can bet the next EQ wont be on the PC.

Just so there be no confusion here or misrepresentation, DC Universe Online is being developed for both PS/3 and PC.  Personally, I don't see how MMOs in general will ever be all that big in pure console market.  Granted, consoles are becoming more like PCs all the time but I think that is my point.  MMOs are not migrating to consoles - consoles are migrating to PCs.  Essentially, consoles are a PC with a limited feature set.  /shrug

Skywarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
Martinus

General

Kendayar wrote:

People don't understand that EQ2 was made at a time when single-core processors were expected to be running at higher speeds than they are now. Multicore processors weren't even a blip on the consumer radar yet and GPUs weren't being used to do all the heavy processing they are doing now. People also don't realize that there isn't some magic button to hit that makes a program utilize more than one thread. That has to be done manually and it's not easy.

I know it would not be easy at all. But now they know where the market is. Why not adapt? I know they are doing what they can. Shader 3. They can continue to improve so that people could start playing at better graphic quality at a very good fps.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
Martinus

General

Skywarrior wrote:

MartinusPe wrote:

Just so there be no confusion here or misrepresentation, DC Universe Online is being developed for both PS/3 and PC.  Personally, I don't see how MMOs in general will ever be all that big in pure console market.  Granted, consoles are becoming more like PCs all the time but I think that is my point.  MMOs are not migrating to consoles - consoles are migrating to PCs.  Essentially, consoles are a PC with a limited feature set.  /shrug

My bad. Thank you for the update 8-)

Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
Wingrider01

Loremaster

MartinusPe wrote:

Kendayar wrote:

I know it would not be easy at all. But now they know where the market is. Why not adapt? I know they are doing what they can. Shader 3. They can continue to improve so that people could start playing at better graphic quality at a very good fps.

changing the graphics engine and doing a complete rewrite of the clinet would not be cheap not quick, suspect the ROI at the corporate level would be very poor. Easier and cheaper to design a new game from the ground up for the new technology. Think it is being refered to as either Everquest 3 or Everquest Next

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
Kain-UK

Loremaster

You pretty much have to overclock the nuts off your CPU to get any kind of decent framerate out of EQ2.

I've got a Core i7 920 running at 4Ghz. Until a couple of weeks ago (roughly) it ran extreme quality absolutely great. Now something has been stuck into the code on the live servers and it's starting to run like crap... which is really annoying because the Test server runs great! >_<

Elnan Tarmikos: 90/250 Shadowknight

Teion Orval: 90/250 Guardian
Kain-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Rothgar

Developer

We're always looking at ways to improve performance and we've been working on some changes to flora and other areas that kill frame rate.

Keep in mind this is an MMO and you can't compare framerates to other types of games.  MMO's give you the freedom to wear almost any type of armor and we have 6 years worth of expansions.  When you're around large groups of people you may very well be loading tons of different textures and shaders in order to render the wide array of armor and effects that you see.  As the game gets older and more unique textures are added, the potential for higher memory usage keeps growing and growing.  Sometimes the bottleneck is your machine being able to load these resources from disk fast enough.  If you see a dip in frames but after a few seconds it comes back up, this is most likely the cause.

If the framerate drop you're seeing is in an area where there are no people, please let us know exactly what you're looking at.  Perhaps there is an issue in the zone geometry we can look at fixing.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #16
Wingrider01

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

You pretty much have to overclock the nuts off your CPU to get any kind of decent framerate out of EQ2.

I've got a Core i7 920 running at 4Ghz. Until a couple of weeks ago (roughly) it ran extreme quality absolutely great. Now something has been stuck into the code on the live servers and it's starting to run like crap... which is really annoying because the Test server runs great! >_<

disagree on the overclocking comment, run a I5-650 @ stock and a I7-980X @ stock speeds and get great frame rate at etreme quality - I do run with shadows off since I personally detest them

Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
Rqron

Loremaster

Now if they would make it so it would work with newer hardware and Win-7 it would be great, After trying to get my wifes new computer to work with eq2 for 3 days not to no avail, tech support on the boards missing (did they fired all of them?) and the rest of support MIA she has given up on EQ2 as an dinosour not worth playing. Thanks SOE for depriving me on the pleasure to play the game with my wife... Maybe I will have to change to WoW too, there at least customer service...gasp...cares.

Rqron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #18
Kain-UK

Loremaster

Wingrider01 wrote:

disagree on the overclocking comment, run a I5-650 @ stock and a I7-980X @ stock speeds and get great frame rate at etreme quality - I do run with shadows off since I personally detest them

Disagree with it as much as you like. :p It's helped out my system. This rig runs EQ2 better at 4Ghz rather than stock 2.66.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #19
Kain-UK

Loremaster

Now if they would make it so it would work with newer hardware and Win-7 it would be great, After trying to get my wifes new computer to work with eq2 for 3 days not to no avail, tech support on the boards missing (did they fired all of them?) and the rest of support MIA she has given up on EQ2 as an dinosour not worth playing. Thanks SOE for depriving me on the pleasure to play the game with my wife... Maybe I will have to change to WoW too, there at least customer service...gasp...cares.

Um... EQ2 does run on Windows 7. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with no problems at all.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
circusgirl

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

We're always looking at ways to improve performance and we've been working on some changes to flora and other areas that kill frame rate.

Keep in mind this is an MMO and you can't compare framerates to other types of games.  MMO's give you the freedom to wear almost any type of armor and we have 6 years worth of expansions.  When you're around large groups of people you may very well be loading tons of different textures and shaders in order to render the wide array of armor and effects that you see.  As the game gets older and more unique textures are added, the potential for higher memory usage keeps growing and growing.  Sometimes the bottleneck is your machine being able to load these resources from disk fast enough.  If you see a dip in frames but after a few seconds it comes back up, this is most likely the cause.

If the framerate drop you're seeing is in an area where there are no people, please let us know exactly what you're looking at.  Perhaps there is an issue in the zone geometry we can look at fixing.

I get sudden and extreme framerate drops in Underfoot Depths, particularly when looking at those big blue crystals.  It doesn't happen to me in the regular hole instances or the contested Hole.

circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Wingrider01 wrote:

Disagree with it as much as you like. :p It's helped out my system. This rig runs EQ2 better at 4Ghz rather than stock 2.66.

gave up oc'ing when they discontinued the pre-clock locked 300 celeron that was available in quantiy for 40 bucks, don;t feel like blowing a $1,000 processor for a little bit more performance. Picked the I5-650 simply becasue it was already clocked to 3.20 GHZ and 0.80 GHZ would not make any difference. OCing is a little simpler nowadays but if you don't know what you are doing you can damage the equipment. Bottom line if you spend the time looking more at the specs of the procesor OCing is not needed

Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #22
Starack

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

I know a big part of EQ2 is how a player looks for fairly large number of people but I have to ask not particularly of you or anyone else really; but why is there no option to force all player models to which ever race in newbie gear if you wanted to run around crowded areas such as guild halls or raids where you generally want to get around and do stuff with other people but not necessarily caring what they look like because looks are secondary when it comes to action/play ability.

Such options I have seen in FPS games where competitive advantage is boiled down keeping everyone high visibility and same hit box sizes rather than get into huge arguments about having size advantage or visual trigger advantage.

I'd love it in certain situations to turn everyone on my client end into Ogres or Gnomes depending on what I am trying to do at the time, in bland newbie gear. Guess it would not be an illusion effect but hallucination effect.

I am almost certain for those with less able system such a change would be the ticket, pretty sure you can already turn off most animated effects on armor/weapons and some fun spell effects, but definately would be nice to be able to hit one button that did that all without fiddling with a ton of menus.

If such an option were available I am sure it would grant more leeway to make it preetier for those that are able to run with everything on.

The hide mount thing finally happened so maybe it is time something like this happened too. I do recall when this game started slowing down the servers because the orcs were wearing too much individual bits of armor like players were, think it was some attempt at having the mundane vanilla npc's look different rather than have lots of unique looks gear mix wise at least.

Just a thought, may help a lot of people even if its not the best solution, its better than not having the option.

Starack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #23
Martinus

General

Rothgar wrote:

Would adding support for Crossfire and SLI also help a bit? I will report the laggy zones when I get the chance. Thanks for replying to us Rothgar.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #24
Carpediem
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Azure Skies

Loremaster

SLI and Crossfire support would do very little, since the GPU isn't working under that much of a load.

Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #25
Skwor

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

From the above I feel the need to point out it may be a bit more than your state here.

I run an I-975 Extrmeme overclocked to 4.2 gig, with an x58 motherboard 6 core rdy. It has 12 gig 1600 gaming ram and a GTX 295. Add to this an SSD harddrive, WIN 7 Pro 64 bit and a true GIGAbyte network with all cables CAT 6 and QUAD RG6 to fiber. With a 610 router I get net bandwidth measured at 20 MB DLs and 5 MB ULs and that is from Washington DC to San Fanciso with a ping average of 90 msecs and jitter of 1 msec consistently with QOS always greater than 85%.

Given the above I still see significant slowdowns in large zones and with raids. Some of this goes away after a second or two but there is still the odd "less than 30 FPS on average performance settings" when in large open zones or large group of players. Not to mention some sort of lag spike every 20 seconds or so occasionally on raids (I think this is more related to SSD access or Nagle's algorithm which I am still tweaking registry settings for)

A machine that is as high end as above 6 years after a game release really should tear up performance. I am surprised how EQ2 is the only game that can bring my machine to its knees. It seems something in the engine is not as efficient as it could be.

If you think it will help I will gladly /bug the times and places where performance appears to take an inapproprite drop.

Skwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #26
bluefish

Loremaster

Wingrider01 wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

gave up oc'ing when they discontinued the pre-clock locked 300 celeron that was available in quantiy for 40 bucks, don;t feel like blowing a $1,000 processor for a little bit more performance. Picked the I5-650 simply becasue it was already clocked to 3.20 GHZ and 0.80 GHZ would not make any difference. OCing is a little simpler nowadays but if you don't know what you are doing you can damage the equipment. Bottom line if you spend the time looking more at the specs of the procesor OCing is not needed

I don't mean to offend you in any way but with this kind of response only shows you really don't understand what overclocking is all about.

Two main points.. 1. Overclocking is exactly a way of NOT spening $1,000 to get just a little bit more performance and 2. Overclocking affects more than just cpu speed.

bluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
Garavic
Guild: Vertigo

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

I never considered this before, but do you think there would be noticable performance change if Guilds designated a specific raid appearence armor?  Not only would it be marginally amusing, but wouldn't that also lesson the amount of items being loaded by our systems substantially?  And how do illusion factor in as far as load?  More or less then a distinctively geared player?

The question becomes how much of a difference would it make.

Garavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #28
Rothgar

Developer

Skwor wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

From the above I feel the need to point out it may be a bit more than your state here.

I run an I-975 Extrmeme overclocked to 4.2 gig, with an x58 motherboard 6 core rdy. It has 12 gig 1600 gaming ram and a GTX 295. Add to this an SSD harddrive, WIN 7 Pro 64 bit and a true GIGAbyte network with all cables CAT 6 and QUAD RG6 to fiber. With a 610 router I get net bandwidth measured at 20 MB DLs and 5 MB ULs and that is from Washington DC to San Fanciso with a ping average of 90 msecs and jitter of 1 msec consistently with QOS always greater than 85%.

Given the above I still see significant slowdowns in large zones and with raids. Some of this goes away after a second or two but there is still the odd "less than 30 FPS on average performance settings" when in large open zones or large group of players. Not to mention some sort of lag spike every 20 seconds or so occasionally on raids (I think this is more related to SSD access or Nagle's algorithm which I am still tweaking registry settings for)

A machine that is as high end as above 6 years after a game release really should tear up performance. I am surprised how EQ2 is the only game that can bring my machine to its knees. It seems something in the engine is not as efficient as it could be.

If you think it will help I will gladly /bug the times and places where performance appears to take an inapproprite drop.

Can you reproduce the framerate dips?  Do they always happen in certain areas or coincide with a specific set of events?  Can you tell if your machine is hitting the disk during those dips by running something like Process Explorer?

Do you see the same problems if you run on Extreme Performance?  If the issues go away, it could be related to particle effects, shadows or some other graphics setting that gets disabled.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #29
Wingrider01

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

I don't mean to offend you in any way but with this kind of response only shows you really don't understand what overclocking is all about.

Two main points.. 1. Overclocking is exactly a way of NOT spening $1,000 to get just a little bit more performance and 2. Overclocking affects more than just cpu speed.

understand ocing a lot more then you think, used to push a $40.00 clock unlocked 300 celeron to close to 900 stable under continous load. I still only liquid cool my custom boxes because of the expierence. Burned out a number of processors trying to get the correct settings for cpu voltage, memory voltage and various othe variables

Bottom line telling someomne to OC without knowing their capabilites and skill level is not a good idea. A erro in oc can cause damage to the pieces of the machine that are not covered by warranty. As you mentioned it does affect numerous areas - memory clock speed stability, memoty volatage, cooling, bus speed to name a few.

Anyway, neither here nor there, this is off topic for the discussion, I get very acceptable frame rate both in and out of raids on a stock Intel I5-650 with a mid line Nvidia card on extremne detail, only custom settings is shadows turned off

Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #30
Uwopo
Guild: Vertigo

Loremaster

I never considered this before, but do you think there would be noticable performance change if Guilds designated a specific raid appearence armor?  Not only would it be marginally amusing, but wouldn't that also lesson the amount of items being loaded by our systems substantially?  And how do illusion factor in as far as load?  More or less then a distinctively geared player?

The question becomes how much of a difference would it make.

I need to whip up 24 sets of the orange Bristlebane Day armor...

Uwopo is offline   Reply With Quote