EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Kizee

Loremaster

Yes, it has been discussed before but I am getting tired of trying to come up with convoluted spellings of names I want.

Seems like most of the "good" names are taken from low level characters that havent been played for 4 years.

Could we tag an "x" onto the end of the unused characters so people that actually PLAY can use them?

I am pretty sure after 4 years that person is not coming back. LOL

Kizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Oh

General

Kizee wrote:

Wouldn't guarentee it, sometimes folks take extended breaks for RL or other things and they might come back. Atleast that is the main premiss behind keeping the characters on the account intact, SoE or any company for that matter doesn't want to loose that potiential resubscriber. A simple example is the living legacy campaign they did not long ago it did bring back some folks, how many stayed... /shrug can't say don't have the data.

As to a name purge I would say no, it's fine the way it is.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
LezerdTZ

Loremaster

Lol I still have my old names from when this game originally launched. I actually payed for a month just to reserve names to come back and play later after SOE would make game nerfs . What you ask will never happen. Nor should it, first come first serve. We take breaks and come back when we can. You are not better than us nor do you deserve any special treatment because you cannot figure out unique names.

Why don't you tag an X onto your names since you A) were not around to begin with and B) are incapable of thinking of unique names.

LezerdTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Lethe5683

Loremaster

Kizee wrote:

Yes, it has been discussed before but I am getting tired of trying to come up with convoluted spellings of names I want.

Seems like most of the "good" names are taken from low level characters that havent been played for 4 years.

Could we tag an "x" onto the end of the unused characters so people that actually PLAY can use them?

"I Agree."

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
hellfire

Loremaster

Im sure it will be done at some time.

Every game has done this preety m,uch any charector below a certain level they gave a good heads up to people  to log in  befor it happened.

Its just a matter of time of when they will decide to do it here imo.

Summoner pets are 1/3 the dps of a summoner and yet our stats and modifiers do not affect them.Since a pet is 1/3 a summoners dps,a summoner receives 2/3 benefit from gear when compared to any other class.

SHARED STATS AND MODIFIERS ARE A MUST!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 08!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 09!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 10!

2011 and Finally we are Fixed!

/Rides off into the sunset
hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Yimway

Loremaster

As long as there is universal in game warning before it happens, I'm fine with it.

I have level 1 toons that exist for the sole purpose of holding a name I want until I'm ready to use it.  As long as I know when I need to log them on to prevent change of name, thats fine with me.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus

Loremaster

Its not hard to find good names, and if they are actually good names they are usually free anyway.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Raster

Loremaster

LezerdTZ wrote:

Lol I still have my old names from when this game originally launched. I actually payed for a month just to reserve names to come back and play later after SOE would make game nerfs . What you ask will never happen. Nor should it, first come first serve. We take breaks and come back when we can. You are not better than us nor do you deserve any special treatment because you cannot figure out unique names.

Why don't you tag an X onto your names since you A) were not around to begin with and B) are incapable of thinking of unique names.

It has already happened before, about 2 years ago to be exact.  Happened about the same time as the free server transfers.  (Which I used myself).

And if you find one you really want and can make a good case for it, petition to get it.  Can't hurt to ask.. just make sure to check all the characters on the account to see if active.  Also, you may have to get EQ2Players access to see that info though.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
scruffylookin

Loremaster

Kizee wrote:

When the game launched, there were several of us that migrated together from EQLive. We enjoyed it and played for a few months. Eventually, most of our friends moved on to various other games, but my wife and I stayed with EQ2.

A few months ago, those same friends (real life co-workers) got to talking about how they were considering coming back. My wife and I were extremely excited. Our old guild would be together again!

Well, one of our friends resubbed. He got as far as the character select screen and saw that his character's name now had an X on the end of it. This was a result of the server merges that happened after he left the last time.

Upon seeing that, he never bothered to enter the game. Next day at work, he told the other guys about it. My wife and I explained there was a server merge, and our friends understood the necessity of doing that. However, none of them came back to EQ. The others didn't even bother booting it up or subbing for one month. They went back to the other MMOs, where their character's names were intact. They weren't mad, and they understood why it happened, but they decided against returning to EQ2 because their names were gone.

I think that is the primary reason SOE is hesitant to do a name purge.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
Jakelo

Loremaster

bigron, LOL

I havent seen you in ages.

Jakelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #11
Borias
Server: Venekor
Guild: Shadows of Storm

Loremaster

scruffylookin wrote:

When the game launched, there were several of us that migrated together from EQLive. We enjoyed it and played for a few months. Eventually, most of our friends moved on to various other games, but my wife and I stayed with EQ2.

A few months ago, those same friends (real life co-workers) got to talking about how they were considering coming back. My wife and I were extremely excited. Our old guild would be together again!

Well, one of our friends resubbed. He got as far as the character select screen and saw that his character's name now had an X on the end of it. This was a result of the server merges that happened after he left the last time.

Upon seeing that, he never bothered to enter the game. Next day at work, he told the other guys about it. My wife and I explained there was a server merge, and our friends understood the necessity of doing that. However, none of them came back to EQ. The others didn't even bother booting it up or subbing for one month. They went back to the other MMOs, where their character's names were intact. They weren't mad, and they understood why it happened, but they decided against returning to EQ2 because their names were gone.

Quite honestly, if one of my RL friends ducked out on playing a game with me because his toons name had an x on it, I'd probably tell him to suck it up and stop crying.

Borias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #12
Kendricke

Loremaster

Ohiv wrote:

Kizee wrote:

Wouldn't guarentee it, sometimes folks take extended breaks for RL or other things and they might come back. Atleast that is the main premiss behind keeping the characters on the account intact, SoE or any company for that matter doesn't want to loose that potiential resubscriber. A simple example is the living legacy campaign they did not long ago it did bring back some folks, how many stayed... /shrug can't say don't have the data.

You could clear an amazing amount of names if you only followed three very basic rules:

• Character has not yet reached level 10
  • Character has not been played in at least 2 years. 
  • Account is inactive and has been for at least 1 year. 

It's pretty hard to argue about "extended breaks" or what have you when we're talking about names that are on characters from 2005 or so.  Oh sure, someone's going to break out a story about a friend or a friend of a friend who was going to play for the first time in years, but saw their name was unavailable now and decided against it, but I guess my sympathy tends to fall in with the crowd who is actually still logging in and creating new character names from time to time already. 

Seriously, I have to pay for the names of my websites periodically to keep them active...but if I slap a name on a level 3 Trial character in Everquest II, I get to keep that name forever, even if I never pay to play the game!?

* -Opinions expressed in this post do not represent any current or past employers.
Kendricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #13
Snowdonia
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Majestic

Tester

CS is pretty great to work with on this front if you've done your research.

I wanted the name "Witch" for one of my new characters I wanted to make but it was taken. I searched the char up on EQ2Players and found out "Witch" was below level 20 and hadn't been touched since 2004. It was even still a Sorcerer or whatever it was you were when the game use to have adventure tiering like crafters have.

So, I contacted support on the support site, told them what I wanted to do, gave them the information I researched, and asked politely if it was possible for the name to be released so I could make a "Witch." They looked into it, saw the account had been cancelled for years and agreed releasing the name would not be harmful. I now have my "Witch" and I'm a happy camper. SMILEY

Snowdonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:01 AM   #14
Dynaen

Loremaster

It must be very traumatizing for you people losing sleep over having to settle for names such as Drizzzzzt, Sefuroth, and Raiistlinx because some other uncreative 10 year old got to those names first.

Dynaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #15
scruffylookin

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

scruffylookin wrote:

Quite honestly, if one of my RL friends ducked out on playing a game with me because his toons name had an x on it, I'd probably tell him to suck it up and stop crying.

None of them were crying about it. MMOs are a very competative industry now. Each of those friends have other games they play now, and the names of their characters on those games are unaltered. It's not that they're raging over the name change... as I said in my first reply, they were cool with it. Coming back was something they were just toying with anyway... the changed names was just the thing that made them decide it wasn't worth coming back when they had their own MMO to keep playing.

My point in this isn't that it's wrong to do that to people. I'm not even against the idea of a name purge. I'm just saying that SOE logically wants to make returning to this game as absolutely attractive as possible. If someone is on the fence about coming back, that could be the deciding factor. It was in my friends' case.

I'd be willing to bet that a brand new player isn't going to quit the game because his hoped-for name isn't available. However, if a vet that's been away for a while finds that their level 50 character they played for 6 months is no longer who he used to be... it'll turn them away from the game and it'll pretty much guarantee they'll not come back.

People get invested in their character's name. It's not about being a baby... not one of my friends were upset by the addition of the "x". It was more like, "Eh, I wasn't sure about coming back anyway. I'll just stay with the game I'm on now."

Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
Cusashorn

Loremaster

It's reasons like this that I wish EQ2 had a random name generator like EQlive has. It was so easy to create new names based off the suggestions given to you by the generator. I managed to come up with the completely original "Taelanita" for a dark elf enchanter with it, and I still use it from time to time.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #17
erin

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:

It's reasons like this that I wish EQ2 had a random name generator like EQlive has. It was so easy to create new names based off the suggestions given to you by the generator. I managed to come up with the completely original "Taelanita" for a dark elf enchanter with it, and I still use it from time to time.

It does.  And there's dozens of online name generators that you can use that are better than either game's.

erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #18
Wingrider01

Loremaster

For once I agree, they should go through the player name base and remove all the deliberate misspelings of singers, movie stars, fantasy characters from popular books, movies, songs, literature, mispellings of vulgar language, then add everyone they remove to the name filter..

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #19
Seidhkona

Loremaster

When people ask me for a naming resource for fantasy worlds, I like to point them to the really useful Medieval Names Archive, which has names from worldwide cultures. That is a LOT of names, most never used in Norrath. My characters tend to find their names based on Viking culture, so I use a different list that has some etymologies - meaning matters to me, even if it didn't to the people in ancient Scandinavia.

And if you want to see the infamous Bad Names Chronicle, which is where my guild and friends point out names that we considered less than glorious, feel free!

Old 04-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
LygerT

Loremaster

after a while and all the trial accounts it's not so easy to find the name you may want. IMO i am pro purging names after a while, i don't care if you were here first or not, criteria can easily tell you whether you should login perhaps after 4 years to keep your name on your level 5 toon you made just for the sake of having the name.

LygerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #21
Webin
Server: Befallen
Guild: Legion of Legend

Loremaster

I'm absolutely FOR having a name (and toon) purge.  It's inconceivable that every toon that was ever created on account still exists (assuming the toon wasn't specifically deleted).  Dead accounts, in particular, are a the biggest culprits.  People started playing, maybe just as trial accounts, played a couple toons up to level 10, then decided the game wasn't for them.  If this happened within the last year or two, it's fine, let's keep their innactive accounts.  But people who quit playing in the first few months of EQ2 are NOT coming back, and if they do, they don't care about some toon they had back then.

There are too many good names being taken by toons and accounts that will never be used again.  Why "reserve" these names in case a potential customer returns if it means making life a little more frustrating for your CURRENT customer?

(As a completely side note, when the servers merged, my guild had to change it's name because our previous name was being held by a guild of 6 toons that had all been inactive for 1+ year).

║*********************** ************************* ***************

║******o**\****→********* ** *Webin*Kaltani**************

║*****-+--¦******→********* ASCII*Ranger**************

║*******|**/*****→*******< Legion of Legend >*******

║******/*\*********************** Oasis****************

║*********************** ************************* ***************

╚═══════════════ ════════════════ ═══╝
Webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
Kizee

Loremaster

shaunfletcher wrote:

Its not hard to find good names, and if they are actually good names they are usually free anyway.

Some people don't like to bang on the keyboard randomly to come up with names....hence your sig.

Even if you say it's not hard to find "good" names you can't deny that there are a ton of them that are unavailable because of people that quit 4 years ago.

How about SoE takes care of the loyal customers that are paying thier paychecks instead of the people that haven't been around in 4 years.

Kizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #23
Nayawk

Loremaster

Kizee wrote:

shaunfletcher wrote:

Some people don't like to bang on the keyboard randomly to come up with names....hence your sig.

What looks random to you, can very well not be.  I duo with this guy and really all of the pairs we play have well research names that are always available when we request them.

one pair have the male and female version of the same inuit name, as they are twins, another pair have aztec names of animals for the first name and aztec colours for their last which reflect their personality. A trio which we play with my nephew are all named after babylonian kings/generals who are famous for an atribute that again is reflected in the character personality/class.

So yes if you don't know anything about babylonian kings or the aztec colour system, I'm sure it does look random. But that is just our way of naming.. and only one of the many ways out there, but a little research can net you a name which really isn't taken.

Nayawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #24
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus

Loremaster

Kizee wrote:

Even if you say it's not hard to find "good" names you can't deny that there are a ton of them that are unavailable because of people that quit 4 years ago.

How about SoE takes care of the loyal customers that are paying thier paychecks instead of the people that haven't been around in 4 years.

Oh its obvious many 'good' names ARE taken, both by active and dormant players.  And I have experienced this name is taken (Usually when I am just thinking up names quickly on the spot in the character creation screen though). It just seems like a huge big deal about nothing. Yes you need a unique name. Yes its nice when you get it, but its not a unique name if someone else thought of it already.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #25
Lethe5683

Loremaster

Kendricke wrote:

Ohiv wrote:

Kizee wrote:

You could clear an amazing amount of names if you only followed three very basic rules:

• Character has not yet reached level 10
  • Character has not been played in at least 2 years. 
  • Account is inactive and has been for at least 1 year. 

It's pretty hard to argue about "extended breaks" or what have you when we're talking about names that are on characters from 2005 or so.  Oh sure, someone's going to break out a story about a friend or a friend of a friend who was going to play for the first time in years, but saw their name was unavailable now and decided against it, but I guess my sympathy tends to fall in with the crowd who is actually still logging in and creating new character names from time to time already. 

Seriously, I have to pay for the names of my websites periodically to keep them active...but if I slap a name on a level 3 Trial character in Everquest II, I get to keep that name forever, even if I never pay to play the game!?

That's too nice. it should be just account is inactive and has been for at least 1 year.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #26
Seidhkona

Loremaster

Kizee wrote:

I actually think that there are about 5,000 variants of "Legolas" and "Gandalf" and those do not need to be recycled.  Do we need Legolaas, Leggolas, Leegoollaas and all that recycled? No we do not.

There are TONS of great names from world history that are interesting and carry interesting etymologies and have never been used in Norrath.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #27
Lethe5683

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Kizee wrote:

I actually think that there are about 5,000 variants of "Legolas" and "Gandalf" and those do not need to be recycled.  Do we need Legolaas, Leggolas, Leegoollaas and all that recycled? No we do not.

There are TONS of great names from world history that are interesting and carry interesting etymologies and have never been used in Norrath.

That's irrelevant.  Players who are not paying a subscription and most likely not comming back are wasting valuable namespace.  The choice should be obvious to SoE.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
erin

Loremaster

Lethe5683 wrote:

Kizee wrote:

That's irrelevant.  Players who are not paying a subscription and most likely not comming back are wasting valuable namespace.  The choice should be obvious to SoE.

It is obvious to them.  They have made it quite clear that a returning player is by far more valuable than an existing, long time subscriber.

erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #29
Bratface

Loremaster

Lethe5683 wrote:

Kizee wrote:

Obviouly SOE disagrees with you, again, they keep account characters safe and sound for when a customer may decide to return. SOE has always been this way, and it is something that customers have come to depend on, if they leave for a while their toons are always here waiting for them both in EQ1 and EQ2.

There are plenty of names that can be had without taking from someone elses creativity and personal preference. Could even try the random name generator when you create a character, it's been a lot better at names than some that people actually choose.

Bratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #30
Bratface

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:

Just curious how you could not know that there is a random name generator for character creation?

Bratface is offline   Reply With Quote