EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Eddster2

Lord

Simple question - many of the players, despite finding something to moan about here, love the game, and would want more investment in it.  The only way to do that is to get more players in... and the simplest way to do that is advertise it.

So Why aren't they?  Just wondering if there is a particular reason...

"Nostalgic Sig!"
Eddster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
TheSpin

Loremaster

Advertising takes TONS of money.

I'd rather have them spending the money they allocate for EQ2 on making the game better.  Things like RAF are their way of trying to build a player base.

TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
UnderToad

Loremaster

Advertising is expensive but without new players the game will die anyway, as would any MMO.

I've always been surprised at the lack of effort SoE put into marketing. I've trialled most other MMOs and they really do suck in comparison.

UnderToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
TheSpin

Loremaster

Word of mouth is the number 1 way every MMO gets new players, even though WoW has run TV commercials, they still get more paying customers by word of mouth.

EQ2 is doing pretty well, and I've seen more new player posts over the last month than I normally see in an entire year.

TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Eddster2

Lord

It'd be nice to see if the feeling that there are more players could be backed up by figures I guess.

"Nostalgic Sig!"
Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
ganjookie

Loremaster

TheSpin wrote:

Advertising takes TONS of money.

I'd rather have them spending the money they allocate for EQ2 on making the game better.  Things like RAF are their way of trying to build a player base.

+1

Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Spyderbite
Server: Venekor
Guild: Dark Vengeance

Loremaster

TheSpin wrote:

Word of mouth is the number 1 way every MMO gets new players, even though WoW has run TV commercials, they still get more paying customers by word of mouth.

EQ2 is doing pretty well, and I've seen more new player posts over the last month than I normally see in an entire year.

Agreed on both points.

Besides, even Blizzard has admitted that their TV ads were a complete failure and that majority of new players are referred by existing players.

Print ads are a waste of money now a days as that media is quickly dying as more newspapers and magazines go exclusively online.

Steam was a great move in the right direction. Very focused on a market that's likely to be interested. Much more so than a television ad during Desperate Housewives. Last WoW advertisement I saw on tv before the run was over was during an LPGA tournament on the Golf Channel. Big market there I bet. XD

Spyderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Hirofortis

Loremaster

I really don't think any of the MMO's have even figured out the best way to advertise, other than to have the players do it for them.  Free advertising after all. SMILEY

Hirofortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Pakhet

Loremaster

There are inexpensive ways to advertise, which if Sony took advantage of they would probably get a few more people.

When looking for a new MMO, I looked up all the lists for MMOs. Everquest 2 was on 0 of them. Runescape, conqueror online, rappelz... these were on as "top MMOs available" but not EQ1 or 2. WoW, Guild wars, Conan, etc were on as well. I tried out 5 MMOs off these lists, all of them of course could not compare to EQ2. But it does bring to question, why is EQ2 ONLY advertised by it's playerbase? There are no reviews or anything to find unless you are specifically looking for it... in which case you probably already play, or have been told to play.

I have told people about EQ2, my biggest reaction is "that game is still around?" ... when they do try it, they go back to WoW even though they admit EQ2 is more fun, more content and has more ability to customize your character. Why? Loyalty to the game they have multiple maxed toons on, more players on WoW, easier to find groups and they can PvP in the arena.

That being said, EQ2 isn't exactly hurting for players, from the gamers side of things. But they probably could use more subscribers for cashflow. SMILEY

Pakhet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
Yimway

Loremaster

Its a better question to ask why they can't get the shelf space and in store placement/posters/displays.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Vith
Server: Oasis
Guild: Bat Country

Loremaster

Are you sure you want SOE to advertise EQ2? Remember the EQ1 ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-FkWsvEcg

Vith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Automagicaly

Loremaster

It's pointless to advertiste when the game is completely designed for the hardcore players. You think a player from LoTRO, WoW, or Warhammer is gonna like soloquest till 80?
Automagicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
Yimway

Loremaster

Automagicaly wrote:

It's pointless to advertiste when the game is completely designed for the hardcore players. You think a player from LoTRO, WoW, or Warhammer is gonna like soloquest till 80?

Considering soloquest till 80 is an accurate description of wow and lotro character advancement as well, yes, I can see they would love it.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
woolf2k

Loremaster

'cause

woolf2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
Goldenpaw

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Big market there I bet. XD

Yeah those idiots over at Blizzard with their 13 million subscribers, dear God if only they weren't idiots looking for people outside the "norm"...  Could you imagine how many subsrcibers they would have then? 200 million?

Your closed mind is exactly the way Sony should follow suit, don't try things outside the comfort zone, only preach to the choir...

13 million, over what does EQ2 have 250,000-400,000? We don't know the only thing we do know is 13,000,000 people playing is doing SOMETHING right.  And SOE would be smart to pay attention to what they do / did right and follow suit. 

In the end who is the bigger idiot, the one who tried and failed? or the one who watched their competition try, succeed, then -ignore- what they did to meet their success.

Goldenpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
Spyderbite

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Its a better question to ask why they can't get the shelf space and in store placement/posters/displays.

Its already been pointed out by retailers that they move very few units from the shelves for online gaming. Last time I was at Best Buy, there was dust on top of all the games.. and that was in Manhattan. People buy onlines these days.. and instore presence is not the savior.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #17
Spyderbite

Loremaster

Goldenpaw wrote:

In the end who is the bigger idiot, the one who tried and failed? or the one who watched their competition try, succeed, then -ignore- what they did to meet their success.

Has to do with the ease of their game and nothing to do with marketing. Don't fool yourself.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #18
Qandor

Loremaster

This question comes up all the time. There are only two possibles answers:

1. SoE is clueless and have no idea that in order to sell a product you need to advertise it.

OR

2. They realize the game has no shot of growing and are not going to waste money on a futile advertising campaign.

Pick one.

I'm voting for number 2 since you cannot resurrect a 5 year old game. A lot of folks have passed through these doors and they have managed to retain relatively few of them. For the most part they are not coming back.

Qandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #19
Grumble69

Loremaster

Not much point in advertising.  If you've played MMOs, then odds are you've heard of EQ2 but are choosing not to play it (for whatever reason).

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #20
Calris
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Windrunner Trading Company

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Two reasons:

1) They're a PC game. Sadly ( And infuriatingly ) PC games are getting less and less shelf space in game stores these days.

2) They don't have as much financial clout to throw around to buy the placement and shelf space like a certain other company does.

Calris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #21
Nighrbringer

Loremaster

Automagicaly wrote:

In all of those games soloing to the level cap is the norm. EQ2 beats them all hands down in immersion and content, plus has far more to do outside the normal leveling curve.

On that note however, I do agree with the op, it would be nice to be able to log in, put up lfg, and have a group withing 30 minutes. It's not going to happen these days though, and it's not a problem with the game. It's the mentality of the players these days. NO ONE wants to go do the other persons quests, or join a pug groiup to help someone else. If it's not the specific tasks or locations the individual is looking for it's faster and easier to solo. Why bother to take a chance on a group of people you don't already know.

It is also this very mentality that can kill a game for me and the #1 reason I unsubcribe to games.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #22
Gaige

Loremaster

Goldenpaw wrote:

what does EQ2 have 250,000-400,000?

I somehow doubt it.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #23
Gaige

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Has to do with the ease of their game and nothing to do with marketing. Don't fool yourself.

Are you implying EQ2 is hard in comparison to WoW?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #24
Birn

Loremaster

EQ2 is on steam that's a big plus. And all paying customers have this recruit a friend promotion, go out on random gaming forums and offer some keys.

"We have no plans what so ever to do actual sales of in game items, and I'm personally very opposed to the idea for EverQuest"

"We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period."
Birn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #25
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Eddster2 wrote:

Simple question - many of the players, despite finding something to moan about here, love the game, and would want more investment in it.  The only way to do that is to get more players in... and the simplest way to do that is advertise it.

So Why aren't they?  Just wondering if there is a particular reason...

Think yourself lucky. More advertising would result in a high transient influx of ex WoWers impressing us all in the channels with their subtle wit and understanding gameplay style.

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
Eddster2

Lord

Fair point Thunderthyze SMILEY

But its not really more players that made me want to make the original post, its just the increased funding could allow for more content....  in a perfect world that is.

"Nostalgic Sig!"
Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #27
Noaani

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I really don't think any of the MMO's have even figured out the best way to advertise, other than to have the players do it for them.  Free advertising after all.

The best form of advertising is the playerbase and word of mouth, but there are two things SoE can do to maximize that.

The first is to make the game better. This is obvious, and they are doing what they can to make the game as good as they can. The better the game is, the more us players will talk about it and we will say better things about it.

In order to maximise this, SoE is better off fixing broken content and taking worthless content and making it worthwhile than they would be adding new content. People will talk about the bad things more than the good things. An example of this would be the arena. As it stands now, its worthless to the vast majority of player (read: there may be 3 people that use it on all servers combined). In a cost/return type plan, this is among the best thing SoE could do for the game, taking existing, unused content and making it fun (the lavastorm revamp was similar to this).

The second thing they can do is to give us a reason to talk about the game. This is not exactly easy to do.

The superior man knows what is right.
The inferior man knows what will sell.

Confucius

Noaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #28
Calris

Loremaster

Gage wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Are you implying EQ2 is hard in comparison to WoW?

Have you played WoW lately? Every other MMO out there is hard compared to WoW...

Old 04-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #29
Calris

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Actually, marketting has a lot to do with it. But the brand name has much, much, MUCH more to do with it. With the name "Blizzard", even a box of turds could sell a million copies... People severely underestimate how insanely HUGE Blizzard is in Asian markets, not to mention the clout they pull in American markets. Seriously, it's scary. Starcraft is like a religion over there practically...

Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #30
Coho1

Loremaster

The game is getting older...  Who knows what they may have in the works?

If the "cloud" technology works there may be a major shift of how gaming works in the near future. http://www.onlive.com/index.html

Coho1 is offline   Reply With Quote