EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Greystone_Thorngage

Scholar

Sorry if this isnt the right place for this question, I just started playing EQ2. Will buying Chains give me access to previous 2 expansion?  Currently do not have them and at the moment there is no bundle I can find that is all enclusive.  The thought of having to spend $70 to then spend another $40 on Chains is a little pricier than I was hoping.

Greystone_Thorngage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

I imagine that Chains will have everything but AoD with it, as that was more a stand alone 'feature' pack. (it only added the BL classes/mercs/tradeskill apprentices)

though at worst, what would happen is buy DoV, which would get you everyhting before it, then AoD, and then CoE.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Onurissa
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Order of Marr

Lord

Greystone_Thorngage wrote:

Sorry if this isnt the right place for this question, I just started playing EQ2. Will buying Chains give me access to previous 2 expansion?  Currently do not have them and at the moment there is no bundle I can find that is all enclusive.  The thought of having to spend $70 to then spend another $40 on Chains is a little pricier than I was hoping.

CoE Will include ALL but AoD the feature pack. Rest of game is included with CoE, hope that helps.

Onurissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
hexalobular

Lord

Sorry to be a stickler for technicalities, but as I understand it DoV doesn't include anything else, since everything previous is included in the free download.

Similarly, CoE may include DoV, (or DoV may go free), but for the same reason as above can't be said to include anything earlier.

The question may be academic for someone planning on buying CoE right away but there would seem to be no reason for someone just starting out to buy CoE or DoV until they're ready to start on DoV (unless they're really keen on the preorder bonuses or get a good rebate.)

hexalobular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

hexalobular wrote:

Sorry to be a stickler for technicalities, but as I understand it DoV doesn't include anything else, since everything previous is included in the free download.

Similarly, CoE may include DoV, (or DoV may go free), but for the same reason as above can't be said to include anything earlier.

The question may be academic for someone planning on buying CoE right away but there would seem to be no reason for someone just starting out to buy CoE or DoV until they're ready to start on DoV (unless they're really keen on the preorder bonuses or get a good rebate.)

a dev stated that CoE will include dov, not AoD . 

everything before dov was already free with the f2p deal.

also do not buy CoE CE if you do not plan on getting AoD cause you wont be able to use the merc untill you do have AoD

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Regolas

Loremaster

If you're new to the game I would not buy the new expansion yet. Wait till you get a character to level 80. I'd buy AoD first for mercs and dungeon maker (good way to earn xp and items while leveling). The new expansion may get discounted before you're ready to utilise it, and you'll kick yourself for paying full price.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Dexella

Community Relations

Free-to-Play includes everything through Sentinel's Fate.

If you purchase Chains of Eternity, you will also recieve Destiny of Velious (it will be "rolled in" to the expansion). However, Velious content won't be available to you until CoE launches.

Age of Discovery will remain a separate purchase. You will need Age of Discovery to use mercenaries, inclucing the mercenary from SOE Live and the mercenary from the Collector's Edition of CoE. 

Community Relations Manager
Dexella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
ZUES

Loremaster

Dexella wrote:

Age of Discovery will remain a separate purchase. You will need Age of Discovery to use mercenaries, inclucing the mercenary from SOE Live and the mercenary from the Collector's Edition of CoE. 

Glad to hear DoV will be included but this is just...

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
ZUES

Loremaster

Oh and thank you for the reply Dex. A lot of people have been wondering about this.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #10
Malvin
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Felwithe Freedom Fighters

Loremaster

Didn't Age of Discovery introduce 20 new AA points?  So with the exclusion of that expansion, if I buy the newest expansion then there is no way I can compete with the end game raiders unless I throw down more money to get Age of Discovery to get the AA needed correct?  

So to actually come back to this game and play the way it was intended I have to pay 40 bucks for the expansion, another 30 or so for Age of whatever.. that's 70 bucks per account.. x3 accounts for all invovled.. that's $210.00 to come back to the game.. with 15 a month for each account on top of that.  Seriously?

Malvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Jamespantherfoot

Loremaster

SOE has always had a the policy of rolling all the expansions into the new expansion so that you always just have to buy the game and the expansion. That being said the game is now FTP but you have to buy the latest expansion to be able to enjoy the game with the majority of the player community.

As the COE and the SOE Live shows mercs are an integrated part of the game and they will be building on this mechanic, but you still have to buy AOD to be able to use them.

I personally don’t fully agree with keeping this out of the COE expansion, but i believe what is done is done.

I would ask that at least allow us to buy it with SC, that way we can gift it to friends or buy it during double or triple SC sales. I think this would be a fair way for SOE to make money and players to get AOD.

Jamespantherfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

Jamespantherfoot wrote:

I would ask that at least allow us to buy it with SC, that way we can gift it to friends or buy it during double or triple SC sales. I think this would be a fair way for SOE to make money and players to get AOD.

the whole reason they took it off the sc market was because they were loosing mone on it. why let players buy it for 15 bucks or less? they a need to make money off their work to function as a buisness .

im sure in the future they will be back for sale on the market but not to buy with sc , but to buy with krono. then players can give krono's away to their friends so they can buy expansions etc etc and with the fixed price of krono's still make money off of it.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
Jamespantherfoot

Loremaster

I believe you are mistatken - so far my impression is that Krono is only to give 30 days gold subscription. I doubt that their intention is to turn krono into some kind of game currency.

As for SC price for AoD - at any point in time SC was real money that is now in the pocket of SOE. And the more of it they can get you to spend the more likely you are to buy more with real money. The only point of concern would be the double and triple SC offers. But just like a RL store can have a sale on premium goods, SC for half price is pretty much the same.

Jamespantherfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Geothe

Loremaster

I actually wouldn't be suprised if they eventually allowed Expansion purchase for Krono.

SoE realized the mistake they made with SC in allowing for those double/triple events, and how people could stock up massive amounts when it was cheap and then use it for Subs after.  Half/ one-third price sales on items instead would of done the same thing functionally without massively devaluing SC at the same time.  I doubt we will ever see Krono on sale now.  They may have the occassional use a Krono and get double the game time type thing... but even that is iffy.

However, with Krono they could allow expasion purchases for 2/3 Krono in the future.  Since Krono WONT be devalued like SC.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Hekaete

Loremaster

Be nice if they did like a discount if you buy coe and get aod for cheaper by buying them together. if not when will aod price go down my husband and I want to come back but cant afford to buy two expansions each ouch

Hekaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

ZUES wrote:

Dexella wrote:

Glad to hear DoV will be included but this is just...

Typical now that SJ is in charge?

I agree, its confusing and doesn't follow suit with how the franchise has run from inception till AoD feature pack.