EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Battlegrounds
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
missingo

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Default

I think BGs need to be removed from pvp servers cause its killing the need to actually pvp in open world

missingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Twyxx

Guardian
Twyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 244
Default

missingo wrote:

I think BGs need to be removed from pvp servers cause its killing the need to actually pvp in open world

You'll end up losing even more population.

__________________
Twyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
missingo

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Default

how so? for real the game has become so easy to play its boring, it used to be where u had to earn all ur gear and claw for every breath in the game, now its where all ur gear gets handed to u on a silver platter

missingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Twyxx

Guardian
Twyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 244
Default

missingo wrote:

how so? for real the game has become so easy to play its boring, it used to be where u had to earn all ur gear and claw for every breath in the game, now its where all ur gear gets handed to u on a silver platter

cause bgs are more action.  instant gratification pvp, even if not the same thing as open world. 

and pvp gear grind right now isn't gear being handed to you.

__________________
Twyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
missingo

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Default

ur not really workin for ur gear cause u dont have to actually fight at all attack once and move around and sit on ur butt get tokens thats lazy

missingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
Twyxx

Guardian
Twyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 244
Default

missingo wrote:

ur not really workin for ur gear cause u dont have to actually fight at all attack once and move around and sit on ur butt get tokens thats lazy

Takes a lot longer that way.  You get more for more kills, winning and getting the achievements.  If you don't like pvp or competing but just want gear to not pvp with I suppose you could do that.  Seems like a pretty poor way to have fun in a game though.

__________________
Twyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Slittherss

Loremaster
Slittherss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Default

other than the fact that pvp is lame in this game, thats prolly the reason i don't go to BG in the first place, I'm not in top 4 raid guilds in the world (5 days of raiding is too much for people with jobs and family) so my gear is about avg raid guild quality cept one factor and I don't know if this is true anymore, but people from Nagafen have Toughness as a stat on their gear they get from raid already. So me being from Unrest in a avg raid guild can do about jack and crap to a guy with toughness built in already. No thanks rather just wait for my guild to down CM Ikiatar for shoulders. No fun with no challenge but to just log in to BG and be someone's whipping boy, thats dumb as well.

__________________
Kharnage - 92 Berserker Unrest

Grumice - 92 Brigand Unrest

Salizzaarr - 92 Warden Unrest

Marekiz - 92 Conjurer Unrest

Making mediocrity work in MMO's since 1999.
Slittherss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
EvilAstroboy

Loremaster
EvilAstroboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 317
Default

Slittherss wrote:

other than the fact that pvp is lame in this game, thats prolly the reason i don't go to BG in the first place, I'm not in top 4 raid guilds in the world (5 days of raiding is too much for people with jobs and family) so my gear is about avg raid guild quality cept one factor and I don't know if this is true anymore, but people from Nagafen have Toughness as a stat on their gear they get from raid already. So me being from Unrest in a avg raid guild can do about jack and crap to a guy with toughness built in already. No thanks rather just wait for my guild to down CM Ikiatar for shoulders. No fun with no challenge but to just log in to BG and be someone's whipping boy, thats dumb as well.

Gear matters so little in PvP now it isnt funny. All my undergeared alts do fine in PvP because of how nerfed PvE stats are in PvP.

[Edited because of personal attack.]

EvilAstroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Twyxx

Guardian
Twyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 244
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Gear matters so little in PvP now it isnt funny. All my undergeared alts do fine in PvP because of how nerfed PvE stats are in PvP.

[Edited because of personal attack.]

Absolutely.  Almost every stat soft caps so easily there isn't much variation in gear at all.  Probably the most important stat on gear right now is STA. 

And brigands are destroying in there right now, Grumice.  If pvp isn't fun to you, then pass, but your excuses don't hold up.

__________________
Twyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Metal_Starz

Loremaster
Metal_Starz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
Default

 You have my vote. BGs suck when you are on a pvp server. If people wanted to pvp they should just go to a pvp server. I am seeing a surge of open world pvp at the moment but it sucks trying to get a group when half of my guild is doing a mindless BGs token grind. It's not fun at all. I thought this pvp update was going to be awesome but it's not. I got excited seeing that all gear would be viable for pvp again but seeing "must not be engaged in pvp combat" stuck to everything kind of kills that..lol. I've been on pvp server since day 1 so I have seen all of the changes. I guess I am one of the very few that thinks fun pvp ended after EoF.

__________________
Metal_Starz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
Rahatmattata

Loremaster
Rahatmattata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,232
Default

Metal_Starz wrote:

I've been on pvp server since day 1 so I have seen all of the changes. I guess I am one of the very few that thinks fun pvp ended after EoF.

Then why stick around for another 4 years after EoF?

__________________


A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
thephantomposter

Loremaster
thephantomposter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 573
Default

Twyxx wrote:

missingo wrote:

I think BGs need to be removed from pvp servers cause its killing the need to actually pvp in open world

You'll end up losing even more population.

If they got rid of BGs(also Wfs) they would get me and others like me off of the Blue servers. It would balance out or gain more in my opinion.

thephantomposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
Dorsan
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Onyx
Rank: Member

Loremaster
Dorsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 971
Default

I play on a PvP server and I like BGs. Do not remove them. They are fun.
__________________
Dorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
Applo

Loremaster
Applo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 69
Default

missingo wrote:

I think BGs need to be removed from pvp servers cause its killing the need to actually pvp in open world

I agree, but it's been said since BGs first came out and there's been no indication they will be removed.

Applo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Rahatmattata

Loremaster
Rahatmattata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,232
Default

I think if you removed BGs from Nagafen, the server would be a ghost town with like 20 of you left. Not sure if you've noticed, but most of the people that BG are from Nagafen. I know if I had to chose between only able to do BG or open world PvP, I'd be on a server I can BG. I'll take epic 6v6 or 24v24 BG matches over a pointless 10v60 at WF or rolling solo questers any day.

__________________


A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
thephantomposter

Loremaster
thephantomposter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 573
Default

[email protected] wrote:

 over a pointless 10v60 at WF or rolling solo questers any day.

See, I remember more than that, before WFs, I remember 20v20 in darklightwoods, caves etc. I remember Sinking Sands and KP 100v100 or the being in the 40 group vs 100 and seeing the tide change.

I remember when it used to be scary to quest on Naggy.

No risk no fun.

Hate to say it but Sony broke pvp they took the fun out, they took the surprise out.

Ditch BGs, WFs and quick travel.

thephantomposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

It's interesting that people are complaining so much about the PvP being boring, yet they're still here, day after day after day, playing EQ2 or posting on the forums.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Applo

Loremaster
Applo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 69
Default

[email protected] wrote:

I think if you removed BGs from Nagafen, the server would be a ghost town with like 20 of you left. Not sure if you've noticed, but most of the people that BG are from Nagafen. I know if I had to chose between only able to do BG or open world PvP, I'd be on a server I can BG. I'll take epic 6v6 or 24v24 BG matches over a pointless 10v60 at WF or rolling solo questers any day.

Nagafen already was a ghost town before this revamp.  The only thing this has done for Nagafen is bring out the raiders and locked pvp'rs to go token farming for their new pvp sets; BGs are another escape from open world pvp they can benefit from.  So people are only seen grouped in warfields or going to BGs.  If you want a fair fight go 1v1 or 6v6 in Mara. You won't see many solo people hunting each other until they feel they have a major advantage (maxed out in new gear) and with BGs, they don't have to.

As far as the BG population, I've seen a Champion's Respite 3 and somewhere between a third and a half of the players in BGs I've taken are from PvE servers.  Nagafen will continue to drive PvE people away from BGs just like they did before and have already done since GU64.  In the end, you'll have mostly what was here before the revamp, a small select number, primarily from Nagafen in BGs locked and maxed out, except this time they can 1 shot newbies who have no other way to attain tokens except to show up and fight them in BGs.  Nagafen players will have their gear faster because of WFs, so this will happen sooner than later.

Ultimately Nagafen access to BGs does nothing but discourage open world pvp and drive away the PvE population from BGs.  You know it, I know it and so does everyone else.  So the question to ask yourself is do you want SoE to continue to develop and improve BGs?  If so, then you should support Nagafen being removed from BGs; if not then you better be happy with what you have right now, because it won't be looked at again if the population continues to shrink as quickly as it will otherwise.

Applo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

[email protected] wrote:

I think if you removed BGs from Nagafen, the server would be a ghost town with like 20 of you left.

That's already true of the lower levels.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #20
Twinbladed
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
Twinbladed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 468
Default

Nagafen does not and did not have a gear advantage in bg's, there was one flaw that last maybe a month and it was taken care of, I don't know how many time a person has to explain that. Anyways..People pay for there own accounts, so bg's are not going anywhere, it would be wise of pvpers to play open world you get more tokens a lot faster in it, but they don't. I like it the way it is right now to be honest raiders actually come out of there cubby holes they been hiding in and I even see them shout they are good because of there skill in the game. In the end pretty much know what will happen, gear will equal out, and it's back to complaining about how unfair nagafen players have it, even though that issue never existed to start with. 

Keep the bg's, if nagafen dies at least there will be someone left to shoot at. Right now even after the update people are on the same old system they been on, if the can't win they don't fight, open world used to be fun, but now people who all got used to the kylong plain zerg think that jumping into a croud of 100 people with there auto attack on it fun and it is how pvp is supposed to be. The difference in a bg and open atm, bg is random most of the time, open already has groups set up to go. 

Twinbladed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #21
Applo

Loremaster
Applo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 69
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Nagafen does not and did not have a gear advantage in bg's, there was one flaw that last maybe a month and it was taken care of, I don't know how many time a person has to explain that. Anyways..People pay for there own accounts, so bg's are not going anywhere, it would be wise of pvpers to play open world you get more tokens a lot faster in it, but they don't.

Not to derail the original thread but your statements contradict themselves.  More tokens in less time is an advantage for gear.

That aside, nagafen players had access to PvP ward gear and prestige items (ie, mega cure/dispell items) that BG players did not until GU64, that was quite an advantage for T4bgs.

Applo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #22
Twinbladed
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
Twinbladed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 468
Default

Applo wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Nagafen does not and did not have a gear advantage in bg's, there was one flaw that last maybe a month and it was taken care of, I don't know how many time a person has to explain that. Anyways..People pay for there own accounts, so bg's are not going anywhere, it would be wise of pvpers to play open world you get more tokens a lot faster in it, but they don't.

Not to derail the original thread but your statements contradict themselves.  More tokens in less time is an advantage for gear.

That aside, nagafen players had access to PvP ward gear and prestige items (ie, mega cure/dispell items) that BG players did not until GU64, that was quite an advantage for T4bgs.

Umm so did every other server, not my or fault you guys don't use freedom of minds,relics, immunity gear, which mega cure item is this, I would love to see that item, less tokens in less time is if the player devotes his time to do so, which why should blue servers get that benefit in a bg when the world they play in does not even include pvp. When you say advantage, I really mean advantages, not excuses. I love how you bring up gu64 get real, even after that you still say we had a more than you guys. Like I said it's excuses, and you'll be happy right now, but when gear evens back out again, you'll complain again.

Twinbladed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #23
Applo

Loremaster
Applo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 69
Default

Your reading skills aren't very good.  Not even sure who you mean by 'you guys'.  I've had toons on Nagafen for years.  I'm not happy with all of the changes for Nagafen or BGs and I've stated why.  And the specifics I pointed out was regarding T4 bgs, as you quoted; relics and immunity gear does not exist for those levels.  I've had all remedies/freedom of mind/action potions on my hotbars forever and the items I mentioned were pumice stones and rune of absolution (instant dispell or curing 5 detrimental effects on you is insane).  Some of the prestige items worked in bgs, some did not.  I'm not surprised you didn't know about them though.

I'm not that concerned about the token advantage, but it is an advantage.  And the reason I want BGs removed from Nagafen are the same as everyone else that mentioned them for over a year now.  Primarily it's yet another killer of open world pvp, except far more detrimental because you can actually get PvP tokens off the server in the process.  It also drives away the PvE BG community as well, as explained earlier.

Applo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #24
Cherri
Server: Befallen
Guild: Arch Nemesis
Rank: Member

Loremaster
Cherri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 49
Default

Ok how about this.

Put PVP servers in their own BG bracket.

PVE servers vs PVE servers in BGs

and PVP servers vs PVP servers in BGs.

This way SOE wont have to worry about trying to balance tokens/gear from PVE vs PVP in BGs.

Cherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #25
PhabiusBile

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 84
Default

I have no clue why they didnt just make it like it was in EQ1 and put a priest of discord up in the newbie areas to select whether or not you wanted to play pvp and not have seperate servers.

And another thing would be to either add ALL items available to PVP servers to BG's or make them not work in BG arenas

If you want to see the PVE servers stick around in BG's then you need to even out the token gains and items available

Essence of Discord20Potion
Crystal of Discord20Potion
Rune of Absolution10Bauble
Rune of Discord20Potion
Shard of Discord20Potion
Shield of Discord20Potion
Shroud of Discord20Potion
Tear of Discord20Potion
Pumice Stone10

Bauble

PhabiusBile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #26
Twinbladed
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
Twinbladed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 468
Default

This is what I'm talking about, get rid of those items anyways you can use them 1 time an have to restock they are not the difference between winning or losing a bg at all. Remove all the excuses. Bg's last several minute's not seconds, if you think those items are the win or lose factor and it is so unfair then why do you even do bg's at all? Not one of those items makes you a winning player. Even at t4. I agree get rid of them because most the people don't use them anyways. 1 charge items that don't even last that long is a major advantage lol. Anything else unfair? This argument has become a joke. 

Twinbladed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

PhabiusBile wrote:

I have no clue why they didnt just make it like it was in EQ1 and put a priest of discord up in the newbie areas to select whether or not you wanted to play pvp and not have seperate servers..

1. Blue server players would click on the PoD & become PvP enabled, which caused all sorts of silly problems.

2. EQ1 released its first PvP server, Rallos Zek, about 2 weeks after going live. Eventually, it introduced 3 more PvP servers, which had slightly different rule sets from even Rallos Zek. Now, they're back to just one PvP server, but the fact is they still introduced separate PvP servers.

3. There's no real point to being a "red" name on a Blue server.

So, there are 3 reasons why they didn't do it in EQ2, & why they almost certainly won't do it in EQ Next.

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
Freejazzlive

Loremaster
Freejazzlive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Posts: 704
Default

[email protected]_old wrote:

Put PVP servers in their own BG bracket..

You mean, both of them?

__________________
Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubadour of Freeport

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

All I hear is:

I like open world pvp.

Don't let people on my server earn marks/gear not doing open world pvp.

Force them to play my way so I have more people to pvp with.

---

I question how much life dedicated pvp servers have with the burn out rate and the lack of new blood.  Certainly all of the game combats these issues, but the resources available to sustain open world pvp servers seems to be well below what is needed to sustain players.

BGs are fun when you've done everythng else.  With no reason to do dungeons anymore, I'm thrilled there are working BGs to spend time playing.  I would be disapointed if I couldn't kill naggy people anymore, I'm against this idea.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
Daalilama
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati
Rank: Senior Officer

Loremaster
Daalilama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 437
Default

TBH the only major advantage pvp server players have as a who was and is skill and coordination....we've had to do more with less with regards to pvp gear/updates since soe very rarely even attempts to try serious pvp server updates (something about pve servers having a fit that test gets changed for pvp enabled...go figure).  However with that said some of the pve players are showing a growing amount of skill and coordination and it varries...I've seen a equalibrium group get dominated for most of a gear bg (cough ego...) by a group from displaced (naggy exile guild).  Did the displaced group have some amazing gear...ahh no they were clearly outgeared by equalibrium...maybe they had a higher amount of hp...no again...it was simple coordination and skill which had them winning most of the fight...in the end that pve group after they decided to work together and coordinate came back to win but it was an uphill fight....

The level of ones ability in pvp or bg's doesnt equate to their guild tag (I've seen some "lesser" pve guild groups with an amazing amount of coordination and skill..but again it varries).

As to the potential to gain more pvp tokens in open world pvp over the lesser amount in bg's tbh thats how it should be(we are the only pvp server left) however as pve players may not be aware the server lag during a warfield on naggy tend to make it almost a turn based game at that point while we have the potential to make more tokens its generally harder than you realize.  BTW warfields are not up 24/7 its usually every 2 hours compare that to bg's which can be run basicly in 5 mins with a decent group so while the pvp server has the potential for more tokens currently bg's are close to that simply because they can be run rather quickly.

Daalilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:37 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.