EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Look and Feel
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
msgnomer

Loremaster

I'd love to see housing have the option of being more immersive by having an instance in a logical zone.

IMO, the single portal is getting a bit out of hand and the location doesn't make much sense for most houses.  Some of the house names are so close it's become a bit of chore to go through all the steps to access or visit a house.

Now, I imagine there are lots of players who like the efficiency, so I'm not going to suggest it be removed.

However....since it's possible to have two entrances to any housing (Qeynos and Freeport), I'd like very much to see a third entrance in the logical zone.

It would still work the same - players at the start can choose between Qeynos, Freeport, or the zone that matches the housing.  I think it would almost be required that current owners could have the one-time option to move their home location.

A gal can dream, can't she? 

Hall of Fame: Help Feed the Dragons! (No, you won't be the food!)

Look for Poet's Dungeon: The Mad Poet's Release returning soon.

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

msgnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
msgnomer

Loremaster

Well, I know I'm not the only one wanting this as I have this conversation in game periodically. 

To update I have a specific idea for the new Halfpint property - if not in Rivervale, then put it in the Baubbleshire....

I would strongly prefer if the entrance was through a gate in the hillside of the Baubbleshire.  Or even click on a rock near the waterfall to make it a kind of secret island.

I would also be happy purchasing a house in the Baubbleshire where you click on one of the many existing doors to access a simple house.

I would consider buying more properties, but I can't see a character having multiple properties at the exact same address in S. Qeynos.

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Rijacki

Tester

You're not the only one and the request has been made many times. I -hate- how the plinth works in Qeynos/Freeport. It is jarring. I would love to leave that as a convenience for those who want it but then have an alternate door in the world appropriate location (and even increase the glut on the plinth to included the city houses of a faction for the conveniece of those who would want to use it).

Old 05-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
SiegaPlays

Loremaster

Sounds like a good idea. Getting a bit overwhelmed by the number of prestige house types available in SQ.

-------------------------------------------------------------

MMO-Charmed web - there is a lot of games out there

-------------------------------------------------------------
SiegaPlays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
General_Info

Lord

Rijacki wrote:

You're not the only one and the request has been made many times. I -hate- how the plinth works in Qeynos/Freeport. It is jarring. I would love to leave that as a convenience for those who want it but then have an alternate door in the world appropriate location (and even increase the glut on the plinth to included the city houses of a faction for the conveniece of those who would want to use it).

they could change the way the doors work, so you can assign a door a prestige house if you dont own the house type the door normally links to clicking it brings up the prestige house access window. If you own the house it normally links to you could define which house access window takes priority so when you left click it takes you to the prefered house with the other being accessed by a context command on the door.

e.g you configure prestige as priority when you right click you see an extra command listed "visit [house name]"

Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Mysstie
Server: Oasis
Guild: Elysian Storm

Loremaster

Hmmm.. I never really thought about it because I never go to SQ to enter my houses. I placed a portal to my Planetarium where my Harvest Depot, Crafting Stations, zone portals, and clicky items are for all my Alts to use in every other house that I own, including my Alts' houses. Since they are all Trustees, when I leave the Planetarium, I can pick any house I have. I only go to SQ when I want to check out a new house I don't have and I like the convenience of everything being right there. However, it does make sense for some of these to have alternate entrance/exits to other Zones that would make sense in a RP way.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Brigh

Loremaster

I don't know if running to a clicky on the LS/EF dock would be desirable after the xth time. They would have to be there (and other prestige homes with similar safe entry) for level 1's to enter. What about MMCE? That run would sure be a hike to LP. Where would the planetarium entry be, since technically that zone is off/in Shimmering Citadel. No building like it exists in Maj'Dul, unlike all the other Desert of Flames Maj'Dul prestige buildings. The dojo could have an entry in Mara, even though the building itself is in Qeynos (terrible home; it is a closet with no doors/windows/exterior). etc...

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Cloudrat

Tester

msgnomer wrote:

Now, I imagine there are lots of players who like the efficiency, so I'm not going to suggest it be removed.

I doubt we will see a poll about this one lol  You have some imagination kiddo! I can't imagine anyone being happy with the House on a Stick solution to mass producing zones to sell.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
msgnomer

Loremaster

Cloudrat wrote:

msgnomer wrote:

I doubt we will see a poll about this one lol  You have some imagination kiddo! I can't imagine anyone being happy with the House on a Stick solution to mass producing zones to sell.

LOL @ House on a Stick. 

Anyway, it wasn't so much imagination as hoping to deflect an immediate complaint from someone who likes having their housing all in one place.  For as many people as play the game, I'm sure there are a portion who are fine with it as it.  Personally, I don't even understand why it was done in the first place from a game point of view,  aside from perhaps it being an easy programming solution. 

I'm planning to quest for real Maj'Dul housing rather than acquire another Qeynos Clickiehouse.  With one possible exception, any future housing I acquire has to be in a unique, reasonable location within the game. 

----------

Old 05-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Rijacki

Tester

msgnomer wrote:

Personally, I don't even understand why it was done in the first place from a game point of view,  aside from perhaps it being an easy programming solution. 

It was their solution to what some were calling the trailer trash of having so many different portal rondells in SQ/SF 'littered' around 2 plinths. They kept the original plinth (the one for the skiff) and took out the rondells. They used the same (IMHO, stupid) decision when 'consolidating' all the innrooms from the suburbs in Freeport to a single door and all the innrooms from the closed inn into the another door in the same location. In both cases it was, in my opinion, the laziest or at least simpliest descision requiring the least amount of thought or work. There are so many doors in the city that don't 'light up', including some in the inn where the inroom consolidation occurred, which could have been modified to become active. I'm sure the 'reason' that would be given for why it wasn't an option for them is the original art resource files have been lost.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
msgnomer

Loremaster

Rijacki wrote:

msgnomer wrote:

Personally, I don't even understand why it was done in the first place from a game point of view,  aside from perhaps it being an easy programming solution. 

It was their solution to what some were calling the trailer trash of having so many different portal rondells in SQ/SF 'littered' around 2 plinths. They kept the original plinth (the one for the skiff) and took out the rondells. They used the same (IMHO, stupid) decision when 'consolidating' all the innrooms from the suburbs in Freeport to a single door and all the innrooms from the closed inn into the another door in the same location. In both cases it was, in my opinion, the laziest or at least simpliest descision requiring the least amount of thought or work. There are so many doors in the city that don't 'light up', including some in the inn where the inroom consolidation occurred, which could have been modified to become active. I'm sure the 'reason' that would be given for why it wasn't an option for them is the original art resource files have been lost.

Yep,  I'd level the same speculation at the inn consolidation and the original portal park solution - slapping another portal in the same general location seemd like a low effort solution to getting more prestige houses on the market, rather than an effort to integrate them immersively into the game.

As for art resources, if you can add a portal, as they did up until recently, to a zone as a "door", then you slap a portal that looks like a door on top of an inactive door location in the game.  Even I've stuck a chest on top of moving crate, when I didn't like it's name showing and I wasn't ready to get rid of it.  If a player in the game can do something like that, how hard for  a designer to slap an active door over an inactive door?  Or for the dock accessable housing like the airship and the island, an npc or boat clickie on an appropriate dock.

If people refused to spend real-life money on another recycled zone accessable from the same exact spot in S. Qeynos, maybe we'd get a little more effort put into integrating the housing into the world.  I would have already purchased a halfpint island, if it had been located from the Baubbleshire or the Enchanted lands, or even Rivervale.

Edit - ah well, I don't really mean to sound so critical of designers who seem like they are working within limited resources...and maybe there really is some complicated reason almost all housing has to be at a single point of entry. 

----------

Old 06-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
7foggynites

Lord

I can empathize with this. It's pathetic how they feel the need to consolidate everything just for convenience sake. It sucks the soul out of the world. It starts to feel so empty and uninspired and ... like a mall or something. Real boring and ignorable.

It's sad and depressing. I don't want to feel that way when playing a game.

Honestly, if people want a convenient option then there should be one. And if people want a unique option then there should be one of those too. If you can only serve one audience then you'll always frustrated the other one.

One of the reasons I like the south qeynos inn is because people are moving around in it (inside and out) and I like that there's a karana "shrine" eastward in the same zone. When I saw that I could get a room in it and that I needed more money, it gave me something to look forward to. I have a apartment in Nettleville right now (no initial cost just rent). The idea that every inn and house will be consoldiated into a single place is terrible. Why would they do that unless they absolutely had to and the game was on its last leg?

This is something that just bodes ill. It's like Jack Sparrow tripping over himself and not knowing how to use a sword anymore. Worse, he's stuck in a bed with a bad disease that's eating away his brain and all he does is mumble incoherently about pixies.

If they want to make a game feel vibrant, they're going about it all wrong.

Or maybe players don't care anymore about detailed zones and non-player scripts/pathing. Maybe they're happy with this one size fits all way of thinking and approaching things. But I doubt it. Most people just need a minute to think about it.

What do you want:

1) A zone where the non-players have the same name and stand in one place and say the same things

2) A zone where non-players (generally) have different names and move around and say different things

Which?

Or:

1) A zone where the buildings have the same textures and structure and order

2) A zone where the buildings (generally) have different textures and structure and order

Which?

Bottom line, it's about diversity and dynamism.

Because when the confusion is boiled away, that's what this is about.

And you know what? EQ2 zones, as they stand, could be even more diverse and dynamic. So the idea that they might be made less diverse or less dynamic, is ridiculous. What kind of shoe string budget do they have? Who is making decisions? What knucklehead...