EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #391
General_Info

Lord

Alpharaz wrote:

I guess I might be a little bit more obsessive than the majority of others. I can't help it. I got way too much time on my hands lol. I dunno I just always found it easy and effortless to cap toons out once I found a rhythym that works for me. bonuses are nice, but they are not neccessary. It just takes that much longer to do really. Anything on an MMO is gonna be time consuming of course but gaining xp on this game is considerably easier and faster than most other games I've played.

well good for you that you can be highly productive with so much time to spare. normally i have plenty of time however recently i have few hours i can play and yet i have been more productive over this weekend with little time then i would be with plenty of time. I got about 71 AAs grinding solo this weekend. got another 31 through assistance by a guildie so not bad at all.

due to the double xp i'm very close to the AA cap on my main. i still have a long way to go on my other toons.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #392
Febrith
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Midnight legion

Loremaster

Further to earlier comments in this thread, after this weekend of double XP I've probably gained around 175AA spread between three characters and dinged level 91 on two of them just running the usual zones of Crypt of Agony, Chelsith, Clefts, Scornfeather Roost et al - and I didn't play consistently or hammer it by any means and sometimes with a merc (for my dirge mainly) and sometimes without.  It also encouraged me to go to zones I haven't been to in literally years - Mines of Meldrath, Klak Anon etc which I remember doing at the "right" level - so it turned out to be a right nostalgia trip.  It's also amazing to discover what you've missed on some characters whilst levelling them up - whole zones unexplored (e.g PoF /blush).  I'd forgotten some of the early game content that I'd enjoyed so much.

90 Warden/Ranger/Paladin/Dirge

of Runnyeye
Febrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #393
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Further to earlier comments in this thread, after this weekend of double XP I've probably gained around 175AA spread between three characters and dinged level 91 on two of them just running the usual zones of Crypt of Agony, Chelsith, Clefts, Scornfeather Roost et al - and I didn't play consistently or hammer it by any means and sometimes with a merc (for my dirge mainly) and sometimes without.  It also encouraged me to go to zones I haven't been to in literally years - Mines of Meldrath, Klak Anon etc which I remember doing at the "right" level - so it turned out to be a right nostalgia trip.  It's also amazing to discover what you've missed on some characters whilst levelling them up - whole zones unexplored (e.g PoF /blush).  I'd forgotten some of the early game content that I'd enjoyed so much.

It is still sad to me that the best places to level are not the new areas.  I noticed you didn't mention Withered Lands where the XP is horribad.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #394
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

It is still sad to me that the best places to level are not the new areas.  I noticed you didn't mention Withered Lands where the XP is horribad.

If you're looking for easily accessible gear upgrades, Tradeskill updates, relevant collectables and harvests that can easily net more than 50 plat for rares, then Withered Lands is by far the 'Best'.  Once you cap your toons in adventure and AA levels, you'll change how you define 'Best'.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #395
Febrith
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Midnight legion

Loremaster

I agree with you Cold Metal - I've done most if not all of the solo quests for both adventuring and crafting on at least one character, my main - and the XP was indeed horribad!  It's great to do the new content but I don't really want to be doing it over and over in quick succession on my alts anyway (that's just a personal thing and I understand that there are people who do) so going back and doing a few old familiar (or not familiar in some cases!) content is just a nice way to ring the changes a bit before putting the next character through the pleasure and pain of the new stuff - speshully my scouts which tend to die a lot when they're on their own!

90 Warden/Ranger/Paladin/Dirge

of Runnyeye
Febrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #396
urgthock

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

urgthock wrote:

Cold, I truly am not trying to be snarky or rude but I simply can not understand how you can only get 4 AA per hour and I can get 20 AA per hour doing the same thing with the same amount of exp bonuses.

Gear / class / playstyle.

I can get 15-20/hr with full bonuses as well, but I can watch my son or wife attempt the same thing and end up with 4-6 / hour.

Just cause you or I can do something at one rate, is no indication that everyone can or should.

Sorry for the delay in response to this thread, I was busy all weekend.

Gear: All the toons I did this with (at the time) had DoV 1.0 quest gear with a smattering here and there of instance gear. No raid gear at all.

Class: As I stated, I did this with MULTIPLE classes. To repeat - Warden, Mystic, Inquisitor, Monk, Berserker, Shadowknight, Coercer, Necromancer, Warlock, Dirge, Assassin, Swashbuckler and Beastlord.

Playstyle: I am a rather casual player due to time constraints. I don't raid anymore, rarely group and love to quest.

I'm sorry but I still don't understand how there can be such a difference in AA gain.

urgthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #397
DamselInDistress

Champion

urgthock wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

urgthock wrote:

Cold, I truly am not trying to be snarky or rude but I simply can not understand how you can only get 4 AA per hour and I can get 20 AA per hour doing the same thing with the same amount of exp bonuses.

Gear / class / playstyle.

I can get 15-20/hr with full bonuses as well, but I can watch my son or wife attempt the same thing and end up with 4-6 / hour.

Just cause you or I can do something at one rate, is no indication that everyone can or should.

Sorry for the delay in response to this thread, I was busy all weekend.

Gear: All the toons I did this with (at the time) had DoV 1.0 quest gear with a smattering here and there of instance gear. No raid gear at all.

Class: As I stated, I did this with MULTIPLE classes. To repeat - Warden, Mystic, Inquisitor, Monk, Berserker, Shadowknight, Coercer, Necromancer, Warlock, Dirge, Assassin, Swashbuckler and Beastlord.

Playstyle: I am a rather casual player due to time constraints. I don't raid anymore, rarely group and love to quest.

I'm sorry but I still don't understand how there can be such a difference in AA gain.

I have to admit I don't know what his point is anymore and if he even has one.

Of course some people will gain more than others.It's a matter o level, gear, speed, knowledge. Everything adds up to something, not everyone can do this at the highest speed, nor should they. We have so many double xp days that this whole thread is pretty useless.

I am waiting for the usual people to come back and keep saying how hard it is ...

DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #398
Yimway

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

urgthock wrote:

Of course some people will gain more than others.It's a matter o level, gear, speed, knowledge. Everything adds up to something, not everyone can do this at the highest speed, nor should they. We have so many double xp days that this whole thread is pretty useless.

I am waiting for the usual people to come back and keep saying how hard it is ...

Your suggesting a roadblocked players will just hang around till a double xp weekend comes along? 

No, they'll just leave the game and not come back.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #399
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

My point if you are talking to me, is the same it has always been.  "Artifical barriers to players only hurts the game."  if you did it the 'hard' way, bully for you, you got to be there first.

Adding hell Levels, the grouping penalty, the 280 barrier WITH nothing before level 90 indicating it will be there (not its existence), getting less XP in the new areas than any other, quest XP in the new areas is horribad and far far too low, all these add up to less NEW players.  And it shows.

With the age of the game we need things that encourage new players, encourage grouping, and encourage player interaction.  Double XP where everyone just gets a mercenary and goes to Chelsith as many time as they can IS NOT the way to grow this game.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #400
DamselInDistress

Champion

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

My point if you are talking to me, is the same it has always been.  "Artifical barriers to players only hurts the game."  if you did it the 'hard' way, bully for you, you got to be there first.

Adding hell Levels, the grouping penalty, the 280 barrier WITH nothing before level 90 indicating it will be there (not its existence), getting less XP in the new areas than any other, quest XP in the new areas is horribad and far far too low, all these add up to less NEW players.  And it shows.

With the age of the game we need things that encourage new players, encourage grouping, and encourage player interaction.  Double XP where everyone just gets a mercenary and goes to Chelsith as many time as they can IS NOT the way to grow this game.

The problem is that you're set in a completely wrong mind frame. You're assuming everyone wants easy mode and max level in 3 days without realising that is not a solution. I won't bother to go through all the explanations again, you can find them in this thread anyway.

The population has been low for a while, which you fail to mention. The transition to f2p was a massive failure, which again you fail to address. The road block with 280 AA has nothing to do with the low numbr of players.

The many idiotic decisions made over the years have brought us here, where we play the time we have left in a dying game. WHat we have at the moment is exactly what the vast majority wants, a way to tell who took the time to properly prepare a character and who didn't.

Is it really so hard to understand ?

The only ones who have the power to change something are SOE, that's it, not me, not you, not Atan, not anyone else.

Of course ppl don't want to waste time with scrubs with 70 AA, who are here for 3 days and then leave anyway.

The people who want to take their time and play the game are the ones we want, not the wow generation who simply try their milionth f2p and then off they go onto their merry way to the next flavour of the month.

It's this short sightedness that brought us where are, everything has to happen now, lvl 90 in 3 days, 300 AA in 5 days, gone after 8 days. No thank you.

I do hope they keep this in place regardless of the 3 or 4 people who don't like it. Deal with it.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #401
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

WHat we have at the moment is exactly what the vast majority wants, a way to tell who took the time to properly prepare a character and who didn't.

Bull.  If there was any kind of grouping going on below max level I could agree.  If there was anything about the grind that helped you learn 'how' to group below the max I could agree.

However now we just have some players gated by AA.  i am find with the 280 to progress, but getting to 280 should be about half what it is now.

We just traded critmit for aa, and most everyone agrees that critmit was an abysmal fail.  $OE apparently did since they removed it.

DamselInDistress wrote:

Of course ppl don't want to waste time with scrubs with 70 AA, who are here for 3 days and then leave anyway.

And here you just show your personal bias, anyone that doesn't play like you is a 'scrub' and not wrothy to play the game with you?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #402
SpineDoc

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

See now IMO you are quite justified to complain about this.  It makes very little sense to literally make the Withered lands quests the absolute worst way to gain xp.  So far I'd say getting xp/aa works Solo grinding ROK zones > mentoring and zerging heroic zones > skyshrine grouping such as the access quest > sitting around in guild hall looking cool > soloquesting withered lands.

92 Templar (retired until they are fixed)

92 Coercer

92 Guardian

92 Wizard

92 Beastlord
SpineDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #403
Rageincarnate
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

I have to admit i am loling a bit.  This thread is still going.  And the funny thing about it is.  I see alot of the names posting here there were in previous posts complaining that stuff is too hard.

So lets play devils advocate shall we?  the 280 aa requirement drops.  new level 92's with half their abilities flood in the new zones.  What will happen?

I'll tell you.

Sony omg balance classes !

Sony omg this is too hard !

Sony omg i quit because this is no fun

Sony omg why do you cater to raiders

Maybe the aa earn rate has to be changed.

Rageincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #404
Raffir

Loremaster

My level 86 Brig just topped 281 AA this weekend.  Just by solo questing, occasional grouping and running writs (good for the guildhall, ya know)...and keeping the slider set on 70-75% most of the time.  And I still out-leveled a ton of quests in almost every area except Butcherblock and Steamfont.  Ought have 320 AA easily by 90.

It can be done.  And its not that hard.  I only play a couple of hours a night on weekdays.  More on weekends, might take me a bit  longer, but the journey to Cap and Max AA is whats fun.  After you get there...its kind of a letdown for me since it just becomes running the same stuff over and over to get that one or two pieces of better gear.

Then again...I haven't done every single questline on EQ2.  But I will eventually, I guess, as every new alt takes a different path.

How can 280 AA be any kind of a roadblock when there are so many roads around it?

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #405
shots01

Lord

Raf, If I could give you examples, I would.

I have given up this account for various reasons.  However, I am borrowing my 90 Fury.

I created a new account and  made my 9 crafters.  But also made them people I would like to play.

Over this past weekend, I used Peachesncream, my lvl 90 Fury, to power level all 9 of them to 20 ( know 20 is nothing to you all).  A couple I got to high 20s and one to 33.

While running these new people around, mentored down to them, I managed to go from 243 AAs to 252.  So it worked well for me as well.

I don't find it HARD.  But I also obviously don't find it FAST.  So I quit asking for help cause I got tired of being told to use a merc.  One must wonder how do you group with everyone telling you to use a merc..

Eventually I will get to 280.  As my new people gain levels, I will attempt to venture into zones such as Runnyeye, Kaladim etc. and see if I can survive in there.  I am not comfortable going into these zones with out a tank but I will keep doing what I can to increase my AAs.  Just gonna be a slow process.

Oh my new people ALL have over 50 aas at lvl 20.  Several are almost at 100 already.  I set all sliders on 65 %.  So, its working for me.  Just gonna take awhile, but thats ok.

shots01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #406
bks6721

Loremaster

i did some dungeon grinding this weekend on 4 of my little alts

44/120 Defiler using a SK merc is now 65/220

70/120 Assassin using an SK merc is now 70/200

70/180 Bruiser using Inq merc is now 85/320

70/165 Inquisitor using a pally merc is now 85/320

aa is NOT hard to get.  moloing with a merc at level 80 I was getting 20+ aa per Chelsith trash run.  When I SOLO'd my Inq in Chelsith at 80 I was getting 1aa every 3rd kill.

at no time did another player help or group with me.

so do the math..I was able to solo/merc 475aa this weekend and gain 51 adventure levels.  I don't understand why some folks think 280 is a roadblock.   It's like saying a small curb in a sidewalk makes it hard to move forward.  Its very easy to overcome. Even a brand new player with no vet bonus should be able to get 100aa without much pain.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #407
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

so do the math..I was able to solo/merc 475aa this weekend and gain 51 adventure levels.  I don't understand why some folks think 280 is a roadblock.   It's like saying a small curb in a sidewalk makes it hard to move forward.  Its very easy to overcome. Even a brand new player with no vet bonus should be able to get 100aa without much pain.

I'd bet maybe 1:5 will even know to go to chelsith and grind.  Its not like the game along the golden path directs you in this direction remotely.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #408
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

...aa is NOT hard to get.  moloing with a merc at level 80 I was getting 20+ aa per Chelsith trash run.  When I SOLO'd my Inq in Chelsith at 80 I was getting 1aa every 3rd kill.

Hmmm, I moloed Chelsith as well, but only got 10aa per run, with a then 45-60 minute timer where i switched to another alt.  I don't know if aa levels xp req are class specific or what, but i certainly didn't get 20 per run.  i keep careful track, and just wonder if some people are rounding or 'remembering' they were at someplace they weren't.  i keep a pad at my computer where i can track things.  I did chelsith as much as i could stomach, you have to agree that that is the most boring thing ever to run around a zone molo.

Also went to evernight abbey where the xp was 1/10th the xp in chelsith.  Why?  Why is one zone ten times that of another zone?  Why is Sebelis better than Chelsith, and thus overrun?  NOTHING in game tells me that to level my char I should go to Chelsith and molo.  That would seem contrary to everything I have heard about MMOs.

AND AGAIN WHY IS CHELSITH THE BEST PLACE TO LEVEL?  DOESN'T THAT SEEM STUPID TO ANYONE ELSE?

If anything I would just request that a place other than Chelsith would be viable to level, like IDK SS or WL or for the love of Brian "Quests" in a game called Ever"QUEST"

/rant off

Yeah I leveled up some alts this weekend, and am just fine.  I don't really care about the 280aa limit, it's fine.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #409
Raffir

Loremaster

shots01 wrote:

Raf, If I could give you examples, I would.

I have given up this account for various reasons.  However, I am borrowing my 90 Fury.

I created a new account and  made my 9 crafters.  But also made them people I would like to play.

Over this past weekend, I used Peachesncream, my lvl 90 Fury, to power level all 9 of them to 20 ( know 20 is nothing to you all).  A couple I got to high 20s and one to 33.

While running these new people around, mentored down to them, I managed to go from 243 AAs to 252.  So it worked well for me as well.

I don't find it HARD.  But I also obviously don't find it FAST.  So I quit asking for help cause I got tired of being told to use a merc.  One must wonder how do you group with everyone telling you to use a merc..

Eventually I will get to 280.  As my new people gain levels, I will attempt to venture into zones such as Runnyeye, Kaladim etc. and see if I can survive in there.  I am not comfortable going into these zones with out a tank but I will keep doing what I can to increase my AAs.  Just gonna be a slow process.

Oh my new people ALL have over 50 aas at lvl 20.  Several are almost at 100 already.  I set all sliders on 65 %.  So, its working for me.  Just gonna take awhile, but thats ok.

Shots,

If you have enough AA (say 2-3 times the AA for your level)...you will never need a Merc for fighters, scouts or healers.  Casters...and bards (to a certain extent) are more difficult. Keep you're spells and strikes mastered.  And wear as good of gear as you can craft or purchase.

No matter what you do though...IMO only....don't use a Merc.  They eat up your XP.  I find that questing is more fun than grinding...but since you're flush on lots of AA?  Solo quest orange or even red mobs.

Though this weekend I did grind a bit and ran my Mystic from 269 to 320AA also this weekend soloing Chelsith.  In one long evening.

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #410
Gilasil

Loremaster

Raffir wrote:

My level 86 Brig just topped 281 AA this weekend.  Just by solo questing, occasional grouping and running writs (good for the guildhall, ya know)...and keeping the slider set on 70-75% most of the time.  And I still out-leveled a ton of quests in almost every area except Butcherblock and Steamfont.  Ought have 320 AA easily by 90.

It can be done.  And its not that hard.  I only play a couple of hours a night on weekdays.  More on weekends, might take me a bit  longer, but the journey to Cap and Max AA is whats fun.  After you get there...its kind of a letdown for me since it just becomes running the same stuff over and over to get that one or two pieces of better gear.

Then again...I haven't done every single questline on EQ2.  But I will eventually, I guess, as every new alt takes a different path.

How can 280 AA be any kind of a roadblock when there are so many roads around it?

Raf

Posts like this renew my faith that people can play the game without poweleveling 1-90/0-320.  It IS possible. 

For my current character I used the AA slider to throttle my level increase so I wouldn't outlevel content until I was done with it. I used mercs to access content as needed.

My usual playstyle was to pick an area I liked, level until I was just barely high enough to do it, then do the stuff I wanted to do with the slider pushed way over to 90%-95% so I wouldn't outlevel the content until I was done (for me outleveling usually meant mobs were turning blue).  Once I'd done what I wanted to do, I'd pick another higher level area, put the slider at 0%-25% to quickly level until I was just barely high enough to do that area, rinse and repeat.

I'm currently at 85/290 and am running out of areas six months after creating my character.  I'm thinking of heading to end game after I finish up a few things.  I'll play end game until it's not fun anymore (figure ~3-4 months) then decide what to do.

If I'd been like some people here I'd have PLd to 90 in a couple weeks, done my 3-4 months in end game, and then had nothing to do.  This way I extracted an extra six months of fun out of this character.

It's kind of ironic.  All these people who say they powerlevel as fast as they can because they don't like doing the same content over and over for leveling toons, yet that's exactly what they do at cap and with a lot less content to choose from.

So I'll probably take six months longer to get to cap on this character then a lot of people here but I had fun while doing it. I'll have had ~9-10 months of enjoyment from this one character instead of 3-4.

For my next character (which might even be the same class as this one, you never know) I'll most likely concentrate on areas I didn't really concentrate on for this one.  I may betray that character because I really enjoyed the betrayal quest when I did it last.  I find that after I haven't seen content for a few years it's not so boring doing it again. 

I also reread really good books every few years.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #411
7foggynites

Lord

With the way things are goign i cannot help but think that soon they will just give you a certain number of AA's per level and at max level everyone will have the same number of AA's. They can even let you determine the AA curve (when you receive your aa's). For example, they might say that everyone has to have the same aa's at level 10 and 20 and 30 and 40 and so on, but not everyone has to have the same inbetween. Either way, this mostly ensures that when you invite someone to your group they will be good enough because their level is an accurate measure of their ability. This will resolve wrinkles in the current system.

The problem with alternative advancement is when you're inviting someone and have to pick them apart to determine whether they're useful to you or not. Traditionally, all you really needed to know was their level and their class. But with alternative advancement, you must also filter that as well. This can be confusing and cause players all sorts of hell.

What this is is players wanting a convenient method to invite others without having to directly decline them. The good thing about levels is that a lvl 55 knows not to ask for an invite to a lvl 85 group. Nobody is harmed. But when a level 85 with 5 aa's asks for an invite to a group of 85's with 200 aa and gets declined, he/she raises a storm. If a level 55 starts asking a level 85 for an invite and gets declined because of level then I can say that the level system suffers teh same probelm as the aa system.

Personally, I would like to see a grouping/raiding system that does not distinguish so harshly between players. It'd be nice to be able to invite anybody, no matter their gear or their level or their ability. If you could invite infinite group members, for example, what reason would there be to decline anybody unless they created such a pile of corpses that you had to decline them to save rezzing time?

When did we become so greedy and picky that we decline help? If we were all starving to death and a man comes to the island with food, do you think it matters if he only comes with 100 lbs and not 100,000 lbs? Would we decline him?

------------------

Part of this is some people wnat levels to last longer. They use AA's as an excuse to experience an area for a longer period. So the source of the problem is not alternative advancement, it's that some people don't want to rush and like to change their character.

I mean how many people do alts just to see the content and have that magic feeling that "Anytyhing could be out there and it could be mine!" I think EQ2's biggest bonus and biggest curse is its huge numbers of zones and potential.

When I look at a player, I look at their acheivements. Those are a good indicator of how long the've played and how dedicated they're to the content in the game. Levels and AA's do not give you this information - they're far too generic.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that achievements are AA's but with a social twist that's not tied to your tangible power. When I view someone's achievements, I'm not awed by how powerful they're, I'm awed by how expansiive their journey has been.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #412
Trynt

Loremaster

7foggynites wrote:

If you could invite infinite group members, for example, what reason would there be to decline anybody unless they created such a pile of corpses that you had to decline them to save rezzing time?

Sometimes there are fail conditions triggered when too many people die.  Some parts of the game are actually intended to be challenging.  I know you're new to the game though.  You'll understand better as you gain more EQ2 experience and familiarity.

However, equating an MMO character's development with a man carrying food to starving people on a deserted island makes me think you just like typing for no reason.  Worst.  Analogy.  Ever.

Trynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #413
7foggynites

Lord

Trynt wrote:

7foggynites wrote:

If you could invite infinite group members, for example, what reason would there be to decline anybody unless they created such a pile of corpses that you had to decline them to save rezzing time?

Sometimes there are fail conditions triggered when too many people die.  Some parts of the game are actually intended to be challenging.  I know you're new to the game though.  You'll understand better as you gain more EQ2 experience and familiarity.

However, equating an MMO character's development with a man carrying food to starving people on a deserted island makes me think you just like typing for no reason.  Worst.  Analogy.  Ever.

A game isn't just about killing monsters or completing quests, it's about playing with others.

If the rules are too hard, it'll create division, not bonds. And anxiety for most.

People should be owed what they deserve, I agree. Competition breeds answers. I just wish there was a way to have vast differences between players without the need to filter all of it so that players can work together effectively.

Deductive logic leads me to believe the end result is that the AA system will be reduced to a set amount of AA per level to be spent as the player wishes. This ensures that we'll all have comparably equal amounts of AA's and can group together.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #414
Trynt

Loremaster

7foggynites wrote:

Trynt wrote:

7foggynites wrote:

A game isn't just about killing monsters or completing quests, it's about playing with others.

If  the rules are too hard, it'll create division not bonds.

I suppose this would make sense if I stated any of those things.  Since I didn't, I'll assume you're just talking to yourself, and accidentally quoted me.

Trynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #415
Alaeth

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Hmmm, I moloed Chelsith as well, but only got 10aa per run, with a then 45-60 minute timer where i switched to another alt.  I don't know if aa levels xp req are class specific or what, but i certainly didn't get 20 per run.  i keep careful track, and just wonder if some people are rounding or 'remembering' they were at someplace they weren't.  i keep a pad at my computer where i can track things.  I did chelsith as much as i could stomach, you have to agree that that is the most boring thing ever to run around a zone molo.

Also went to evernight abbey where the xp was 1/10th the xp in chelsith.  Why?  Why is one zone ten times that of another zone?  Why is Sebelis better than Chelsith, and thus overrun?  NOTHING in game tells me that to level my char I should go to Chelsith and molo.  That would seem contrary to everything I have heard about MMOs.

AND AGAIN WHY IS CHELSITH THE BEST PLACE TO LEVEL?  DOESN'T THAT SEEM STUPID TO ANYONE ELSE?

If anything I would just request that a place other than Chelsith would be viable to level, like IDK SS or WL or for the love of Brian "Quests" in a game called Ever"QUEST"

/rant off

Yeah I leveled up some alts this weekend, and am just fine.  I don't really care about the 280aa limit, it's fine.

I was curious about how well experience from questing stacked up to experience from grinding, so this past weekend I decided to focus on my assassin and level only via quests and whatever instances were required for those quests.  She started out at 58 with 80ish AAs, and she ended up at 76 with 288 AAs by the time double exp clicked off.  I used about 10 (maybe 12) 110% exp potions from veteran rewards, but no vitality resets.

In terms of quests, that spanned most of Tenebrous Tangle, all of Barren Sky and Bonemire, most of Loping Plains, all of Kylong, the Rilissian faction route in Fens, and most of Kunzar.  The only instances I ended up doing were Vaults of El'Arad, Nest of the Great Egg, and Den of the Devourer, all of which were required for various quests along the way and all of which were relatively easily soloed by a level-appropriate assassin with an SK merc; tanks or healers with corresponding mercs could do even better, and likely could do several of the other KoS/EoF instances I skipped.  My AA slider was set to 80/20 until mid-way through Kunzar, at which point I set it back to 50/50.

The point?  At least starting from KoS zones, it's entirely viable to get both levels and especially AAs from doing the quest lines rather than grinding.  My rate probably wasn't quite as fast as the top-end grinding can be, but keep in mind, this was with a character of appropriate level for the zones, rather than being mentored down with endgame gear, and only 40% veteran bonus.  I didn't set foot in HoF, BSS, OoB, CoV, or any of the various Kunark instances--to say nothing of the public zones like PoA, CMM, or MMC--which someone mentoring down easily could have done, picking up quite a bit more named/discovery AA exp along with that from the quests involving those zones.

Alaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #416
7foggynites

Lord

Trynt wrote:

7foggynites wrote:

Trynt wrote:

7foggynites wrote:

If  the rules are too hard, it'll create division not bonds.

I suppose this would make sense if I stated any of those things.  Since I didn't, I'll assume you're just talking to yourself, and accidentally quoted me.

You said that it's intended to be challenging and that fail conditions (for quests) can be triggered if too many people die. This was your response to me suggesting that the rules for inviting others should be relaxed.

So I'm saying that "challenging" is not the only reason to play, playing with others can be too.

By relaxing the rules we use to invite others, we can group with more kinds of players.

And in my previous post I say that my intent for this was to allow for more differences between players but not letting this get in the way of the rules we use to invite others. I don't know if this is possible, but I said it anyway.

It's a wish. A hope. I could easily be wildly wrong for even imagining this. Peace.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #417
Kenpachii

Augur

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

...aa is NOT hard to get.  moloing with a merc at level 80 I was getting 20+ aa per Chelsith trash run.  When I SOLO'd my Inq in Chelsith at 80 I was getting 1aa every 3rd kill.

/rant off

I boxed chelsith for a new toon, that i finished leveling that weekend, had legendary gear from WL so didnt kill the fastest but was good enough. On the toon i was leveling i got 11% AA per kill in Chelsith at 300-320AA, so would have been getting alot more earlier on too, even more if i wasnt sharing the XP.

SS/WL was made to give you less XP so it took longer to gain the levels from 90-92, they told you this before it was even released. So of course going and grinding mobs would be the faster way but this is your decision to do so. Everquest is an appropriate name for this game given the amount of quests in this game, which is over 6000+

Why do they need to tell you where to grind to get the best XP? Did they tell us this back in RoK, to head to chelsith or seb to grind because thats the best XP? No i dont think so, its through experience that players know this and head to those areas because they would prefer to get the levels and AA as fast as they can because they prefer end game content.

There is plenty of content and a huge amount of quests to get you the AA and levels if you take the time to do them so accept the fact that this is how it is and just get it done.

I also did the access quest in SS on a 90/320 toon and by the time i had finished i was about 30% away from 92, which killing named in SS i got very quick. This wasnt on the double xp weekend.

Kenpachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #418
Haapy

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

/rant off

1. If you are waiting on timer, you are doing it wrong. Do not kill nameds, experiment with different routes for better efficiency. Get totems of escape/run speed/etc.

2. Different zones have different exp modifiers. That has been around since pretty early days of eq1. So it is not contrary to MMOs, you just very new at this or very ignorant.

3. Nothing in game SHOULD tell you to go to Chelsith. For that kind of information there are forums, where people sometime post their "sweet spots". How do you think people know about Chelsith in a first place? Someone had to figure this out on their own, and post it. Btw, Chelsith is not the best place, just one of the easiest.

4. For someone who is ranting so much about "quest" in "Everquest" you sure seem to be unconcerned about actually questing and rather focus on leveling. I bet you do not even have Shattered Lands cloak yet. If you would have completed just 3k quests, you would already be at 320 AAs. Quests are VERY viable way to level. I know I gained a ton of AAs and levels just soloing Damsel in Distress epic line on my baby defiler alt. Does questing has to be as fast as efficient grinding? Nope. 

Haapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #419
DamselInDistress

Champion

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

WHat we have at the moment is exactly what the vast majority wants, a way to tell who took the time to properly prepare a character and who didn't.

Bull.  If there was any kind of grouping going on below max level I could agree.  If there was anything about the grind that helped you learn 'how' to group below the max I could agree.

However now we just have some players gated by AA.  i am find with the 280 to progress, but getting to 280 should be about half what it is now.

We just traded critmit for aa, and most everyone agrees that critmit was an abysmal fail.  $OE apparently did since they removed it.

DamselInDistress wrote:

And here you just show your personal bias, anyone that doesn't play like you is a 'scrub' and not wrothy to play the game with you?

I am not sure where you got the you traded crit mit for aa from. AA have stopped being optional years ago.

All i said was that now people can tell who has the aa and who doesn't.

As for the other part, no, i don't pug, I avoid pugs like the plague, however I would sometimes go and help a new player. Also I group a lot with people from my guild and I don't care what level of how much AA they have. So stop assuming things about me. 

When I say scrub, I mean someone who gets to cap without any regard and care for their character and expects to be carried through content by others. You can try and debate that as much as you'd like it won't work with me.

By the way, tat concept is completely different from a new player, you'd better learn the difference.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #420
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Pau[email protected] wrote:

i did some dungeon grinding this weekend on 4 of my little alts

44/120 Defiler using a SK merc is now 65/220

70/120 Assassin using an SK merc is now 70/200

70/180 Bruiser using Inq merc is now 85/320

70/165 Inquisitor using a pally merc is now 85/320

aa is NOT hard to get.  moloing with a merc at level 80 I was getting 20+ aa per Chelsith trash run.  When I SOLO'd my Inq in Chelsith at 80 I was getting 1aa every 3rd kill.

at no time did another player help or group with me.

Shhhhhh Pauly...you're ruining the narrative.