EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #241
Shareana

Lead Volunteer Moderator
Shareana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,921
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=44532...post_id=5486310 Let's keep posts constructive with less insults please.
__________________
|| Forum Guidelines || Knowledge Base || Tech Support ||






Shareana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #242
Gimmiethat

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 139
Default

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Wurm wrote:

I've been playing since roll out on a non RP tagged server and I think the tag is dumb so I'm right and you are wrong so go to AB.

See I can do it too.

Fine, let SOE know you support free server transfer to AB for LdL customers.

Thank you for your support!

I don't see where he stated a support for free server transfers anywhere

Hopefully your concern and voice will make the difference... since your solution to the RP-Prefered tag is moving customers to AB.

Like you said, you are right.

Gimmiethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #243
Shareana

Lead Volunteer Moderator
Shareana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,921
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=44532...post_id=5486341 Let's keep posts constructive with less insults please.
__________________
|| Forum Guidelines || Knowledge Base || Tech Support ||






Shareana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #244
Nivek
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Ignis Caelestis
Rank: Champion Alt

Loremaster
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 32
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Here's my question:  I'm seeing all of these people popping out of the wood work begging to keep the rp tag.  Where have you people been?  I've been roleplaying with macros and emotes because I have seen nothing nothing regarding rp.  I've heard the roleplay channel is dead so seriously where have you people been?

I'm assuming they aren't roleplaying... or they have established private roleplay groups consisting of friends or something. I'm sure there are people who do the same thing on CB. But like I said I'm only assuming.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #245
Sheliah
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster
Sheliah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Default

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Here's my question:  I'm seeing all of these people popping out of the wood work begging to keep the rp tag.  Where have you people been?  I've been roleplaying with macros and emotes because I have seen nothing nothing regarding rp.  I've heard the roleplay channel is dead so seriously where have you people been?

I'm assuming they aren't roleplaying... or they have established private roleplay groups consisting of friends or something. I'm sure there are people who do the same thing on CB. But like I said I'm only assuming.

A possible answer - though it only covers a couple of aspects of it, would be:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

2 I would love to roleplay but can never find anyone to rp with.  All of my characters have detailed backgrounds and personalities all their own.  All of the groups we end up in with the exception of a group of rl friends we play with sometimes no one rps.  If you ask me LdL isn't an rp server really.  I thought possibly the only difference was I can toggle my characters "roleplaying" but I've heard I can do that on a pve server too so what's the point? 

Just my personal opinion here. (sorry to those who keep hearing it in game )

Partially due to the nature of the game, and instanced housing, roleplaying in EQ2 tends very much or almost exclusively (comparing to other games) to be held in very closed environments, inside guilds, guild halls, houses you don't know what's in, unless someone tells you. Even more, some guilds don't advertise their events on general channels, don't have ooc channels of their own, don't accept alts in their guild - so someone outside will plainly and simply never know what they do, or close to.

For all I can tell, there is far less open RP, out in the world, than in other MMOs, (and that is part of the reason why potentially interested people don't see it - it isn't where they can see it). Though there are exceptions, just less.

Now, with no intention of offending anyone, I have to add that in my opinion, merging with a non-RP server means nothing less than even more closed RP on LDL. There will still be RP, no doubt about it; as long as there are people enjoying this aspect of the game, they will try to play the game as they like it. However, it is much easier to deal with people disrupting your events if you're in your house and kick them out... than it is to be out in the world, given there is no bit of a rule. Completely understandable then, why RP on EQ2 roleplaying servers tends to be not well known - unless one knows what/where to search - and for the RP inside certain guilds or groups not even that is enough.

As I said previously - and as people on LDL already do try (again) - one of the means to fight this outcome is to make sure information about RP happening on the server can be known more easily (for example, channels like /RPC, sites like lucandlere.freeforums.org). It won't hurt non-roleplayers any imaginable bit, but it can help significantly RP and players interested in RP.

Sheliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #246
Shareana

Lead Volunteer Moderator
Shareana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,921
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=44532...post_id=5486391 If you have a concern about moderation, please send a PM. Also please note that posts that quote a violation will also be removed.
__________________
|| Forum Guidelines || Knowledge Base || Tech Support ||






Shareana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #247
Lethe5683

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,351
Default

Wurm wrote:

1) Crushbone has more players on it.

2) Crushbone is older.

3) Crushbone already had a server merge when Innothule was merged into it.

3) Crushbone is remaining, LDL is not.

4) There is the purple RP name tag for a reason.

5) Crushbone isn't a RP tagged server nor should it be.

6) Like I said before if your RP tag is that important to you, AB is over there ---->

*edit* 7) Crushbone didn't beg for a merger, your server did, and beggers can't be choosers.

1. Less than 20% more, hardly a significant amount.

2. You have got to be kidding, 4 days in the course of a game this old is nothing.

3. So? All that means is that your server is in fact less successful than ours due to having a marginally higher population even after a merge.

4. That is purely a technicality.

5. LdL is RP tagged and should remain so.

6. It's not, my main issue is the lag and (if your any gauge of an average CB player) the mass influx of arrogant jerks.

7. Neither did LdL, it was only a choice few players who apparently had no friends or were too lazy to form a group.

Stonestrong wrote:

I can tell you for a fact LDL is no more mature or different than any other server.

That was true... until you left.

[email protected] wrote:

What makes you guys so important?

Pretty much my question to the majority of CB players posting here acting like their server is such a big deal when it is only marginally older and marginally bigger.

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #248
Malvin
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Felwithe Freedom Fighters
Rank: Leader

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 56
Default

I haven't read any of this thread and I don't really expect people to read to much into my opinion.

There are a number of us who feel kind of in limbo at the moment.  We do want a bigger population but at what cost?  Merging with a non RP server?  I just don't see that ending well in the end.  Is this about role-playing?  Not really, there are folks who role-play on the RP server but I would wager that most do not.  What it does provide though is a bit more mature gaming environment.  What will happen to that environment once we merge?  I dunno...

On LDL we do have our drama queens and players who don't really present a civilized gaming environment, but I think most have learned not to feed into them, ignore and avoid them.  There is only so much you can avoid though, you can't make a player disappear from the game or a raid.  The RP tag isn't going to make players RP, or even act mature.. but in the past it does enforce the facade of it, it enforces players to choose names wisely and helps at least present a world where you can suspend your disbelief in.  Without that tag, that facade falls.

There is the option to transfer to AB, but that is unrealistic.  That would cost us over 200.00 dollars to transfer our most important characters which is beyond ridiculous.  The solution?  I have no idea, but I think right now the options are not good.  

Malvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #249
Xiotia
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Children of the Light
Rank: Senior Member

Loremaster
Xiotia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 445
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

I haven't read any of this thread and I don't really expect people to read to much into my opinion.

There are a number of us who feel kind of in limbo at the moment.  We do want a bigger population but at what cost?  Merging with a non RP server?  I just don't see that ending well in the end.  Is this about role-playing?  Not really, there are folks who role-play on the RP server but I would wager that most do not.  What it does provide though is a bit more mature gaming environment.  What will happen to that environment once we merge?  I dunno...

On LDL we do have our drama queens and players who don't really present a civilized gaming environment, but I think most have learned not to feed into them, ignore and avoid them.  There is only so much you can avoid though, you can't make a player disappear from the game or a raid.  The RP tag isn't going to make players RP, or even act mature.. but in the past it does enforce the facade of it, it enforces players to choose names wisely and helps at least present a world where you can suspend your disbelief in.  Without that tag, that facade falls.

There is the option to transfer to AB, but that is unrealistic.  That would cost us over 200.00 dollars to transfer our most important characters which is beyond ridiculous.  The solution?  I have no idea, but I think right now the options are not good.  

qfe

__________________
Xiotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #250
Gimmiethat

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 139
Default

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

And the tag, well it only makes sense to keep the RP-Prefered tag or offer server transfers.

None of you supporting a RP preferred tag has posted anything to prove that "it only makes sense" to keep it -- this is your personal desire, so of course it makes sense to you. Everyone who opposes it is just as valid in their opposition. Rothgar has stated the merged server will NOT have the tag, which I do think is the right decision.

As far as free transfers, again it only makes sense to you because it is what you want, not because it actually makes sense. Sony will not give you a free transfer now that they sell transfer tokens on the Marketplace, the same as they won't change your name for free (as they used to be willing to do via petition) now that name changes can be  purchased via Marketplace (the only exception being a forced named change for those who violate naming rules).

You are wrong again... you have pages and pages of very valid reasons.  They just aren't what you think so you choose to ignore them.  

Rothgar has NOT confirmed the removal of LdLs RP-Prefered tag, and repeating this false statement is just as wrong is not seeing the obviousness of keeping the RP-Prefered tag.

As far as free transfers go -- YOU can't have it both ways.   If the RP-Prefered tag is removed,  then the only other reasonable option to the LdL customers who want to continue to recieve thier current level of service is a transfer to a server that IS RP-Prefered.  And it makes no sense what so ever for SOE to require its customers to recieve less than what they have been paying for or incur additonal costs based on thier merge policy.  Especially when there is a much simpler and straight forward option available to them.

One you can't quite accept it seems.

Gimmiethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #251
Gimmiethat

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 139
Default

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Wurm wrote:

I've been playing since roll out on a non RP tagged server and I think the tag is dumb so I'm right and you are wrong so go to AB.

See I can do it too.

Fine, let SOE know you support free server transfer to AB for LdL customers.

Thank you for your support!

I don't see where he stated a support for free server transfers anywhere

Ya see where he sez transfer to AB?  Don't make me explain it again.

Gimmiethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #252
Sheliah
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster
Sheliah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Default

Gimmiethat wrote:

As far as free transfers go -- YOU can't have it both ways.   If the RP-Prefered tag is removed,  then the only other reasonable option to the LdL customers who want to continue to recieve thier current level of service is a transfer to a server that IS RP-Prefered.  And it makes no sense what so ever for SOE to require its customers to recieve less than what they have been paying for or incur additonal costs based on thier merge policy. 

This makes sense to me.

Sheliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #253
Stonestrong

Loremaster
Stonestrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 204
Default

Gimmiethat wrote:

Stonestrong wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Stonestrong wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Chakos wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Partially due to the nature of the game, and instanced housing, roleplaying in EQ2 tends very much or almost exclusively (comparing to other games) to be held in very closed environments, inside guilds, guild halls, houses you don't know what's in, unless someone tells you. Even more, some guilds don't advertise their events on general channels, don't have ooc channels of their own, don't accept alts in their guild - so someone outside will plainly and simply never know what they do, or close to.

For all I can tell, there is far less open RP, out in the world, than in other MMOs, (and that is part of the reason why potentially interested people don't see it - it isn't where they can see it). Though there are exceptions, just less.

This being the case, why in the world would a RP preferred tag be put upon the newly merged server? When someone chooses a server with that tag, they expect RP to be commonplace out in the world, not behind closed doors. You can already tag guilds as being RP guilds so that players see it when they search for a guild -- which, by your own admission, is the only place they are likely to find it anyhow.

This, more than anything else, is a more convincing argument for there not to be a tag on the new server.

Wrong -- you ignorance of gaming on an RP-Prefered server is as obvious as obvious you ignorance of the motives as to why someone selects an RP-Prefered server.

In my experience RP players will find each other... no matter where they are.  Some find it in guild, some through world events, and other just by having fun using the vocal emotes.  They play the game just like gamers do -- which ever way they want. 

I chose the RP-Prefered server for the same reason many have already mentioned, cuz in my experience you have a more mature community.  You also have the option to RP if ya get the itch.

So, yea... the merged server needs to keep the RP-Prefered tag.

No it doesn't. I have been on plenty of servers. I'd bet many more than you. I can tell you for a fact LDL is no more mature or different than any other server. Stop grasping for straws because you want to keep an arbritraty server tag alive.

Just get over it. The server is getting merged and you aren't going to have your tag. Will it change your gameplay? Absolutely not.

I say it is... You say its not. Here's the thing, I am a customer who has been paying to play on an RP-tagged server for the last 6 years.  Since I pay my subscription fee to play on the kind of server I want... that makes me right.

Now, you can pay your $25 to swap servers every 6-months, long as SOE keeps offering you that option.

Please tell me the difference between servers with an rp tag and those without. The only difference between every server is different people. When servers get merged the same people you have been rping with will still be there. So get off your soapbox about paying a sub, we all pay them.

If it's such a problem for you that you need to play on a server with an rp tag then transfer to AB, reroll, or quit.

In my expereience the RP-Prefered servers are a more mature, civil and fun place to be.  And provide the option to RP if the customer who want it.  Keeping the tag means that I am still getting what I am paying for or until I experience otherwise.  I am paying for to play on an RP-Prefered server... you maybe or maybe you are on the free server now... sounds like your paying for transfer all over the place.

If a free transfer is offered to LdL customers, yep definitely would encourage all my friends to do that.  Rifts is coming out in Feb, so yeah... quitting is an option too.  We shall see.  

What experience? You have never been to other servers so you have no idea. If you don't like it then stop paying for it. I'm sure SOE will make it without your 15 or 30 bucks a month.

__________________




Stonestrong 90 Paladin of Lucan D'Lere
Stonestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #254
Chakos

Loremaster
Chakos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 324
Default

Gimmiethat wrote:

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Wurm wrote:

I've been playing since roll out on a non RP tagged server and I think the tag is dumb so I'm right and you are wrong so go to AB.

See I can do it too.

Fine, let SOE know you support free server transfer to AB for LdL customers.

Thank you for your support!

I don't see where he stated a support for free server transfers anywhere

Ya see where he sez transfer to AB?  Don't make me explain it again.

See where it doesn't say "Sony should give you FREE transfers to AB" ? Don't make me explain it again.

Chakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #255
Gimmiethat

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 139
Default

Stonestrong wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Stonestrong wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Stonestrong wrote:

Please tell me the difference between servers with an rp tag and those without. The only difference between every server is different people. When servers get merged the same people you have been rping with will still be there. So get off your soapbox about paying a sub, we all pay them.

If it's such a problem for you that you need to play on a server with an rp tag then transfer to AB, reroll, or quit.

In my expereience the RP-Prefered servers are a more mature, civil and fun place to be.  And provide the option to RP if the customer who want it.  Keeping the tag means that I am still getting what I am paying for or until I experience otherwise.  I am paying for to play on an RP-Prefered server... you maybe or maybe you are on the free server now... sounds like your paying for transfer all over the place.

If a free transfer is offered to LdL customers, yep definitely would encourage all my friends to do that.  Rifts is coming out in Feb, so yeah... quitting is an option too.  We shall see.  

What experience? You have never been to other servers so you have no idea. If you don't like it then stop paying for it. I'm sure SOE will make it without your 15 or 30 bucks a month.

Well, The ONLY server in EQ2 I've played on for more than a week is LdL... an RP-Prefered server.  I learned my lesson to ALWAYS select an RP-Prefered server with the release of EQ, then when I moved to DaoC, then EQ2, then LotR, then WoW, then back to EQ2.  Not exactly sure of the order, but you get the drift.

And if I walk away from EQ2, as I have done in the past -- yes the game will go on.  But don't kid yourself...  The server merges happened because of population declines.  EQ2 can not afford to let the over all population continue to shrink.  Especailly because of an RP-Prefered tag on a server.

So, I believe they will do the sensible thing and move continue to server the customers who selected LdL as a RP-Prefered server.  Whether that mean keeping the tag on the merged server or making some allowance for LdL customers to transfer to an RP-Prefered server.

Gimmiethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #256
Gimmiethat

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 139
Default

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Wurm wrote:

I've been playing since roll out on a non RP tagged server and I think the tag is dumb so I'm right and you are wrong so go to AB.

See I can do it too.

Fine, let SOE know you support free server transfer to AB for LdL customers.

Thank you for your support!

I don't see where he stated a support for free server transfers anywhere

Ya see where he sez transfer to AB?  Don't make me explain it again.

See where it doesn't say "Sony should give you FREE transfers to AB" ? Don't make me explain it again.

OK -- I'm gonna explain it to you again... just cuz:

As far as free transfers go -- YOU can't have it both ways.   If the RP-Prefered tag is removed,  then the only other reasonable option to the LdL customers who want to continue to recieve thier current level of service is a transfer to a server that IS RP-Prefered.  And it makes no sense what so ever for SOE to require its customers to recieve less than what they have been paying for or incur additonal costs based on thier merge policy.  Especially when there is a much simpler and straight forward option available to them.

Understand?

Gimmiethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #257
Davngr1

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,179
Default

PVP servers are different from PVE servers.

exchange servers are different from non-exchange servers.

RP servers are exactly the same as PVE servers, there is nothing to stop you from RP'ing on any server.  

 instead of crying for a free transfer (pretty sure they won't give it) why don't you push for hardware upgrades for your new server, crushbone?

__________________
Davngr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #258
Gimmiethat

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 139
Default

Davngr1 wrote:

PVP servers are different from PVE servers.

exchange servers are different from non-exchange servers.

RP servers are exactly the same as PVE servers, there is nothing to stop you from RP'ing on any server.  

 instead of crying for a free transfer (pretty sure they won't give it) why don't you push for hardware upgrades for your new server, crushbone?

Not what I have experienced.  If that were the case then there would be no RP-Prefered servers at all, but there is.

And I sure hope the hardware is upgraded, because CB is really laggy with just about the same population as LdL.  Once the servers merge it could get really bad.

Gimmiethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #259
Illmarr

Loremaster
Illmarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,448
Default

Gimmiethat wrote:

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Wurm wrote:

I've been playing since roll out on a non RP tagged server and I think the tag is dumb so I'm right and you are wrong so go to AB.

See I can do it too.

Fine, let SOE know you support free server transfer to AB for LdL customers.

Thank you for your support!

I don't see where he stated a support for free server transfers anywhere

Ya see where he sez transfer to AB?  Don't make me explain it again.

See where it doesn't say "Sony should give you FREE transfers to AB" ? Don't make me explain it again.

OK -- I'm gonna explain it to you again... just cuz:

As far as free transfers go -- YOU can't have it both ways.   If the RP-Prefered tag is removed,  then the only other reasonable option to the LdL customers who want to continue to recieve thier current level of service is a transfer to a server that IS RP-Prefered.  And it makes no sense what so ever for SOE to require its customers to recieve less than what they have been paying for or incur additonal costs based on thier merge policy.  Especially when there is a much simpler and straight forward option available to them.

Just to preface, glad to get the merge, though I'd resigned myself to it being after the expansion release so I'm cautious regarding the timing so close to the expac's scheduled release date. My first opinion is to agree with adding a r/p tag, I don't feel it'll negatively impact anyone who's already on either server and will indeed show that there is a r/p community still on the newly merged server.That said, I'll get by fine without it basically because I haven't seen open r/p on LdL in ages so I'm not sure how much good it did aside from an unquantifiable feeling of belonging for those who do r/p wherever they choose to do it, which is why I haven't posted until now.

The transfer option is a bone you want thrown if you don't get the r/p tag. Nothing wrong with asking, if you don't ask you have zero chance of receiving. It'd be nice but realize that you have not made one argument that is based on unbiased facts and not based on your subjective desire (Same can be said for the people you are debating with though)

Would love to see the newly merged servers get the same hardware upgrades AB and Nagafen got. That's about the only variable I'm terribly worried about.

Illmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #260
Nivek
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Ignis Caelestis
Rank: Champion Alt

Loremaster
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 32
Default

Hardware upgrade should be the top concern for everyone part of this possible merger... not some childish fight about a tag thats going to change nothing for either side of the argument. 

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #261
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Would love to see the newly merged servers get the same hardware upgrades AB and Nagafen got. That's about the only variable I'm terribly worried about.

Ditto, for every server that was merged.AB and Nagafen server have a significant performance advantage over the rest of us. It is disgraceful that SOE seem to be so content with leaving the rest of us on lagged up, inadequate server hardware.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #262
Sheliah
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster
Sheliah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Default

Alternative: offer free transfer for a while, from LDL to CB. Then, see if it's possible to merge the rest with AB.

(just dreaming SMILEY)

On a serious note, were there recently free transfers from AB to LDL? Or from other servers? I'd assume the first thing to do before considering a merge (one between a non-RP server and a RP server specially) is to try other means, right?

Sheliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #263
Lethe5683

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,351
Default

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Would love to see the newly merged servers get the same hardware upgrades AB and Nagafen got. That's about the only variable I'm terribly worried about.

Ditto, for every server that was merged.AB and Nagafen server have a significant performance advantage over the rest of us. It is disgraceful that SOE seem to be so content with leaving the rest of us on lagged up, inadequate server hardware.

Yeah, not to mention the combined server will most likely be more laggy than it would have been if they merged LdL into AB.

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #264
Gisallo
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster
Gisallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,910
Default

Stonestrong wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Maybe you've learned something today. You can show all the evidence in the world, but you're not going to change people's opinions. You could be totally in the right and still not persuade people to yourside of the argument because well some people go by "if it ain't broke, don't poke it."

For a good number of people (at least in the circles I have asked) the server is fine. They are going to continue to think its fine. Because for them it is. When or if the mergers happen later in the year, they are still going to hold on to that opinion.

You can't force people to admit there's a problem or that you're right. I'm sorry that your experiment failed to get the results you wanted.

I'm sorry you were wrong and SOE decided to agree with the people who actually know what's going on and have a clue. Good luck with your fututre rp vampire storylines in whatever bar/pub/tavern you create on the new MERGED server.

Now now Stoney, since that was in response to me shouldn't I be saying that :p

__________________
Gisallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #265
Gisallo
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster
Gisallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,910
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Alternative: offer free transfer for a while, from LDL to CB. Then, see if it's possible to merge the rest with AB.

(just dreaming )

On a serious note, were there recently free transfers from AB to LDL? Or from other servers? I'd assume the first thing to do before considering a merge (one between a non-RP server and a RP server specially) is to try other means, right?

Regretably no.  We asked for that when they said no to a transfer in the Beginning.  The answer we were given regarding this was they are doing it to balance active population not total toons and allowing transfers would create an issue with their grand scheme of balance.

__________________
Gisallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #266
Gimmiethat

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 139
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Chakos wrote:

Gimmiethat wrote:

Wurm wrote:

I've been playing since roll out on a non RP tagged server and I think the tag is dumb so I'm right and you are wrong so go to AB.

See I can do it too.

Fine, let SOE know you support free server transfer to AB for LdL customers.

Thank you for your support!

I don't see where he stated a support for free server transfers anywhere

Ya see where he sez transfer to AB?  Don't make me explain it again.

See where it doesn't say "Sony should give you FREE transfers to AB" ? Don't make me explain it again.

OK -- I'm gonna explain it to you again... just cuz:

As far as free transfers go -- YOU can't have it both ways.   If the RP-Prefered tag is removed,  then the only other reasonable option to the LdL customers who want to continue to recieve thier current level of service is a transfer to a server that IS RP-Prefered.  And it makes no sense what so ever for SOE to require its customers to recieve less than what they have been paying for or incur additonal costs based on thier merge policy.  Especially when there is a much simpler and straight forward option available to them.

Just to preface, glad to get the merge, though I'd resigned myself to it being after the expansion release so I'm cautious regarding the timing so close to the expac's scheduled release date. My first opinion is to agree with adding a r/p tag, I don't feel it'll negatively impact anyone who's already on either server and will indeed show that there is a r/p community still on the newly merged server.That said, I'll get by fine without it basically because I haven't seen open r/p on LdL in ages so I'm not sure how much good it did aside from an unquantifiable feeling of belonging for those who do r/p wherever they choose to do it, which is why I haven't posted until now.

The transfer option is a bone you want thrown if you don't get the r/p tag. Nothing wrong with asking, if you don't ask you have zero chance of receiving. It'd be nice but realize that you have not made one argument that is based on unbiased facts and not based on your subjective desire (Same can be said for the people you are debating with though)

Would love to see the newly merged servers get the same hardware upgrades AB and Nagafen got. That's about the only variable I'm terribly worried about.

Well, your first opinion is that it should stay.  Which is also reflected in your actions.  I mean, you selected an RP-Prefered server at some point, and probably had some reason for the selection.  That reason is as valid today as it was when you selected LdL.  Or maybe you just picked a server, and that's fine too.

Whether it is an unquatifiable feeling of belonging or some other percieved value the RP tag has, the tag definitely has it.  Infact, SOE recognizes it's value, as evidenced by AB and LdL having the RP-Prefered tag.  Some customers may value the tag more, others less, but it would definitely will mean something to many of the LdL community if it goes away. 

Let me be perfectly clear... I don't want a free transfer, and I don't think LdL customers want a free transfer.  But if SOE is going to significantly change the service they are providing, then its incumbent on them to make-good in some fashion.

Gimmiethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 AM   #267
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny
Rank: Champion

Loremaster
Avirodar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,035
Default

Gimmiethat wrote:

Let me be perfectly clear... I don't want a free transfer, and I don't think LdL customers want a free transfer.  But if SOE is going to significantly change the service they are providing, then its incumbent on them to make-good in some fashion.

SOE is not changing a service, let alone significantly, if LDL is merged into Crushbone, without a RP tag.You can still be in the group/guild/rp community you have been playing with.You can still have your RP taverns, inns, and guild halls.You can still use RP chat channels.You can still use the /emote command.You can do everything you already have been, thus nothing significant changes. The only thing that would be changing, is nothing short of superficial and insignificant, the letters "RP" before a server name on the server selection window, which clearly was serving the active population of LDL no tangible benefit.Clearly, there is no need to force a RP tag on a server where the majority will not be RPers, and will be misleading to new customers. The Devs have it right, no RP tag for Crushbone.

__________________
Templar of Oasis
Avirodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #268
Wurm

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,003
Default

Lethe5683 wrote:

Wurm wrote:

1) Crushbone has more players on it.

2) Crushbone is older.

3) Crushbone already had a server merge when Innothule was merged into it.

3) Crushbone is remaining, LDL is not.

4) There is the purple RP name tag for a reason.

5) Crushbone isn't a RP tagged server nor should it be.

6) Like I said before if your RP tag is that important to you, AB is over there ---->

*edit* 7) Crushbone didn't beg for a merger, your server did, and beggers can't be choosers.

1. Less than 20% more, hardly a significant amount.

2. You have got to be kidding, 4 days in the course of a game this old is nothing.

3. So? All that means is that your server is in fact less successful than ours due to having a marginally higher population even after a merge.

4. That is purely a technicality.

5. LdL is RP tagged and should remain so.

6. It's not, my main issue is the lag and (if your any gauge of an average CB player) the mass influx of arrogant jerks.

7. Neither did LdL, it was only a choice few players who apparently had no friends or were too lazy to form a group.

20% is a big difference, especially when it was previously stated that only around 16% of your server truly role-plays.

4 days is still 4 days, the royal twin brother who was born less than one min than his sibling, is still not the heir to the throne.

Innothule was a ghost-town when it merged with Crushbone, so your point is invalid.

Not a technicality, its a fact.

LDL is going away, so is its tag.

I'm not an arrogant jerk, just because we disagree, but feel free to label me that way if it makes you feel better about losing your tag.

Then direct your ire at them, they are the ones who brought this upon your server, not us non-rpers at Crushbone.

*edit* I seriously have nothing against role-players. but I have no desire to have my Server labeled as such.

__________________
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #269
WeatherMan

Loremaster
WeatherMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 772
Default

When she closed down the other (17-page) thread, Shareana mentioned that this one had some dev responses, and I am assuming she meant this one, as this is the thread that has assumed this discussion that she felt so passionately should not be continued in the other thread.

Apart from a post by Amnerys - forum heavyweight, yes, but hardly the one able to actually answer the question - are there dev posts on this topic that I missed going through this thread?  Because I don't think SJ or Rothgar or anyone has weighed in on this topic.  I understand the reason behind closing the thread - redundancy - but please get the entirety of the reasoning backed up by facts before we get pushed back into the mushroom garden.  Not that I'm not used to being in the mushroom garden, it's just getting...old.

__________________
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men."



- Charles De Gaulle
WeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 AM   #270
Lethe5683

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,351
Default

I'm done with this topic.  Good job ruining the server SoE... hopefully you will at least have the decency to upgrade the server and prevent lag from being yet another issue to deal with.

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:46 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.