EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
frizdiddy

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Default

nevermind

frizdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
feldon30

Fansite Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,424
Default

You'll notice that in most cases, the fishing quest is the LAST quest in these series. I can count on one hand the quests in EQ2 that require fishing and they're at the end of a series of quest so can simply be skipped if you don't want to level this skill.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Jardon

Loremaster
Jardon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 445
Default

No thanks, I have 6 level 80 characters and all of them leveled their harvesting skills as they leveled up and are now all 400/400 in all harvesting skills. It does not take long if you do 5 skill ups every time you level.

If you want to do the quests, you need to do the pre-req, which in this case is to get your harvesting skills up to a certain level.

While you can cast a spell when you don't have 400 in the skill, it is not going to do anything if you don't have the skill high enough

__________________
Razgar, 90 Dirge/90 Jeweler, Antonia Bayle
Jardor, 90 Assassian/90 Tailor, Antonia Bayle
Jardon, 90 Guardian/90 Woodworker, Antonia Bayle
Raztok, 90 Troubador/90 Alchemist, Antonia Bayle
Jardok 90 Bruiser/90 Weaponsmith, Antonia Bayle
Razmer, 90 Zerker/90 Armorer, Antonia Bayle
Jarrel, 90 Brig/90 Provisioner, Antonia Bayle
Raznyk, 80 Wizard/90 Carpenter, Antonia Bayle
Jazdar, 90 Inquisitor/90 Sage, Antonia Bayle
Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

I'm okay with your premise.

Adjust your half second to 30 seconds, and I see no problem with it.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Sprin
Server: Nagafen
Guild: L U S H
Rank: LUSH (Supreme Drinker!)

General
Sprin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,364
Default

feldon30 wrote:

You'll notice that in most cases, the fishing quest is the LAST quest in these series. I can count on one hand the quests in EQ2 that require fishing and they're at the end of a series of quest so can simply be skipped if you don't want to level this skill.

Well let me ask you this...

When you are grinding out that lvl 75 Tailor Writ... to make those 5 vests... how many times does it ask you to go out and kill a lvl 75 mob?  Exactly.. it doesn't...

Tradeskilling needs to be separate from Adventureing.... there should be ZERO tradeskilling skills required to adventure... just as there is ZERO adventuring required in tradeskill.....

if you dont have to kill a lvl 75 mob to finish a lvl 75 tradeskill quest, you shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 harvest (tradeskill) node to finish a lvl 75 adventure quest..

simple as that...

SOE needs to get rid of harvesting quests in Adventure quest lines

and the fishing one at Fens STARTS the quest line.... so your screwed unless you have the fishing..

and even if you are leveling up your other tradeskills harvesting skills, who the hell levels up fishing except for provisioners... SOE knows this and its garbage they make you level up tradeskilling skills to complete adventure quests.

Any and ALL quests that require harvesting any node should give tradeskill xp ONLY and should not be in line with any adventure quest lines... period

Sprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Qandor

Loremaster
Qandor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 994
Default

frizdiddy wrote:

There are several quest lines in which you are required to have a certain amount harvesting skill to continue. For example, the Fishing quest at Omens call in Fens requires 350. I personally have all my characters on the same server, If anyone else is like me they don’t feel a need to have all there characters as harvesters. So to continue on a quest line I have to take a character running around harvesting for skill. Where as a caster class character at level 80 is not required to have 400 in a casting skill to cast a level 80 spell. I however am not suggesting that a tier 1 harvester should be able to perform as well as a tier 8 harverster.

 

This is something I think would be an ideal change to the harvesting system.

 

Base harvesting time for a node is 5 seconds. Keeping this frame work in mind:

Reset the tiers to be based on 50, tier 1 1-50, tier 2 51–100, and so on.

For every tier above your harvesting tier add ½ a second of harvesting time to the harvest.

For example A tier 1 trying to harvest a tier 8 node would take 8.5 seconds per harvest.

5 seconds base and 3.5 for tier adjustment.

 

Any other thoughts on this?

 

My thoughts are that there is no need for this. We are going to re-engineer the harvesting mechanics because a handful of people can't do 2 inconsequential fishing quests?

Qandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

Qandor wrote:

 

My thoughts are that there is no need for this. We are going to re-engineer the harvesting mechanics because a handful of people can't do 2 inconsequential fishing quests?

You underestimate the power of OCD SMILEY

Oddly enough, this fishing quest at one point the nodes only requied 1 skill since they are unique nodes to the quest.

At some later time a revamp was done to make all ROK zones require a higher base harvesting amount, and they sorta copy-paste created the problem with that quest in particular.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Zariel

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 39
Default

[email protected] wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

You'll notice that in most cases, the fishing quest is the LAST quest in these series. I can count on one hand the quests in EQ2 that require fishing and they're at the end of a series of quest so can simply be skipped if you don't want to level this skill.

Well let me ask you this...

When you are grinding out that lvl 75 Tailor Writ... to make those 5 vests... how many times does it ask you to go out and kill a lvl 75 mob?  Exactly.. it doesn't...

Tradeskilling needs to be separate from Adventureing.... there should be ZERO tradeskilling skills required to adventure... just as there is ZERO adventuring required in tradeskill.....

if you dont have to kill a lvl 75 mob to finish a lvl 75 tradeskill quest, you shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 harvest (tradeskill) node to finish a lvl 75 adventure quest..

simple as that...

SOE needs to get rid of harvesting quests in Adventure quest lines

and the fishing one at Fens STARTS the quest line.... so your screwed unless you have the fishing..

and even if you are leveling up your other tradeskills harvesting skills, who the hell levels up fishing except for provisioners... SOE knows this and its garbage they make you level up tradeskilling skills to complete adventure quests.

Any and ALL quests that require harvesting any node should give tradeskill xp ONLY and should not be in line with any adventure quest lines... period

Excuse me, but since when were harvesting skill tied to tradeskill lvl only? Your argument is invalid based on the fact that one does not need to be a tradeskiller to be able to harvest items.

Zariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Skwor

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
Default

frizdiddy wrote:

There are several quest lines in which you are required to have a certain amount harvesting skill to continue. For example, the Fishing quest at Omens call in Fens requires 350. I personally have all my characters on the same server, If anyone else is like me they don’t feel a need to have all there characters as harvesters. So to continue on a quest line I have to take a character running around harvesting for skill. Where as a caster class character at level 80 is not required to have 400 in a casting skill to cast a level 80 spell. I however am not suggesting that a tier 1 harvester should be able to perform as well as a tier 8 harverster.

 

This is something I think would be an ideal change to the harvesting system.

 

Base harvesting time for a node is 5 seconds. Keeping this frame work in mind:

Reset the tiers to be based on 50, tier 1 1-50, tier 2 51–100, and so on.

For every tier above your harvesting tier add ½ a second of harvesting time to the harvest.

For example A tier 1 trying to harvest a tier 8 node would take 8.5 seconds per harvest.

5 seconds base and 3.5 for tier adjustment.

 

Any other thoughts on this?

 

let's just cut to the chase, SOE please instal a big red "I WIN" button on the character UI so everyone can instantly have max skills, max level, top gear, and a skittle farting unicorn. Thanks

Skwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
Rijacki

Tester
Rijacki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,842
Default

At Fan Faire and a couple times since (sorry no links, no time to search for them at work), Brenlo and soem other devs have stated that they are considering making all nodes open to a -chance- to harvest. But with a skill of 1 and a node rated as 240+, your chance of actually getting a harvest would be -very- slim (and darn close to none). 

__________________
Rijacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
bigbaldpapa

Loremaster
bigbaldpapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 69
Default

I think that if you want to do the quest you should have to do the pre-requisites to do so.  If not, move on, there are tons of other quests.

bigbaldpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
Looker1010

ZAM Copy Editor
Looker1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Diego, CA/GMT -8
Posts: 735
Default

OP your font is very small and hard to read.

I have 10 on live and 6 on test and every one of them has all of her harvesting skills capped. When they level I go out and recap harvesting. So - no thanks to your "it will just take longer" idea. No one requires you to do any quest where you don't have the proper skills. If you want the rewards you need to put in the time and effort first.

__________________
Ariel 88 Conjurer / 90 Provisioner ... Dalila 67 Illusionist / 90 Jeweler / 450 Tinkerer / 325 Transmuting / 450 Adorning ... Glinda 68 Wizard / 90 Sage

Merle 51 Conjurer / 50 Woodworker ... Miriamne 78 Warden / 87 Tailor

Morningstar 85 Paladin / 90 Alchemist ... Ogadia 73 Monk / 80 Carpenter

Test Server

Wamira 80 Warden / 80 Provisioner ... Breppa 64 Ranger / 71 Carpenter
Miriamne 66 Guardian / 73 Tailor ... Ariela 64 Conjurer / 72 Jeweler
Pasharia 52 Paladin / 71 Wood Worker ... Berengeria 50 Wizard / 74 Armorer
Taliana 65 Monk / 80 Alchemist ... Lavinia 54 Warlock / 70 Weaponsmith
Sadye 44 Coercer / 74 Sage ... Sarita 59 Bruiser

Kithicor - Retired
Looker1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
Skywarrior

Loremaster
Skywarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 726
Default

Since max harvesting skill level is tied to the highest of Adventure/Tradeskill level, one could argue that it is just as much an adventuring skill as it is a crafting skill.  Harvesting supports tradeskills, true, but harvesting is primarily done by adventurers in level appropriate zones.  The fact that the quest in question gives adventure xp instead of tradeskill xp is indicative that the devs do not consider harvesting to be primarily a tradecraft, nor should they.  It is simply another way for folks who have participated in fully developing a character as provided in the game mechanics to enjoy a quest tailored to that mechanic.  It seems to me the height of unenlighted self interest to wish to shut down completely any sense of accomplishment enjoyed by players who have indeed developed the character appropriately.

If you find a quest (and the prerequisites to do the quest) boring or onerous, then just bypass it for the next quest.  It's not like there are a ton of harvesting quests out there impeding your progress in any way.  You want to change a boring, onerous quest?  Lets talk about the one where you have to find the 50 little statues hidden in stupid places all over Norrath.  I've even blocked the name out it's so hideous.

Skywarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
Sprin
Server: Nagafen
Guild: L U S H
Rank: LUSH (Supreme Drinker!)

General
Sprin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,364
Default

Zariel wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

You'll notice that in most cases, the fishing quest is the LAST quest in these series. I can count on one hand the quests in EQ2 that require fishing and they're at the end of a series of quest so can simply be skipped if you don't want to level this skill.

Well let me ask you this...

When you are grinding out that lvl 75 Tailor Writ... to make those 5 vests... how many times does it ask you to go out and kill a lvl 75 mob?  Exactly.. it doesn't...

Tradeskilling needs to be separate from Adventureing.... there should be ZERO tradeskilling skills required to adventure... just as there is ZERO adventuring required in tradeskill.....

if you dont have to kill a lvl 75 mob to finish a lvl 75 tradeskill quest, you shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 harvest (tradeskill) node to finish a lvl 75 adventure quest..

simple as that...

SOE needs to get rid of harvesting quests in Adventure quest lines

and the fishing one at Fens STARTS the quest line.... so your screwed unless you have the fishing..

and even if you are leveling up your other tradeskills harvesting skills, who the hell levels up fishing except for provisioners... SOE knows this and its garbage they make you level up tradeskilling skills to complete adventure quests.

Any and ALL quests that require harvesting any node should give tradeskill xp ONLY and should not be in line with any adventure quest lines... period

Excuse me, but since when were harvesting skill tied to tradeskill lvl only? Your argument is invalid based on the fact that one does not need to be a tradeskiller to be able to harvest items.

Excuse me, but since when did i have to harvest an orange to gain adventure xp? you harvest to tradeskill, no other reason... there is no need to harvest anything other then for tradeskilling... you harvest items to tradeskill.. a stack of 200 ore nodes does nothing for anyone but a tradeskiller... so your argument is invalid based on the fact you know nothing about the game. 

I am lvl 80 on 5 toons, none of which are tradeskillers, none of which have harvesting skills of more then 20 or 40 or something out of 400..... there is zero need to harvest for adventure xp... you harvest for tradeskilling... its the equivalent of grinding out kills to level up adventure, you grind out tradeskill writs and make items to level up... harvesting is a tradeskill skill.... you cant grind out tradeskill without the harvest node stuff... but you can level to 80 / 200 adventure without any of it... your argument is invalid because you have no idea what your talking about and your words are nonsensical... kk thnx bbynow

Sprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
bks6721

Loremaster
bks6721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,593
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Zariel wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

You'll notice that in most cases, the fishing quest is the LAST quest in these series. I can count on one hand the quests in EQ2 that require fishing and they're at the end of a series of quest so can simply be skipped if you don't want to level this skill.

Well let me ask you this...

When you are grinding out that lvl 75 Tailor Writ... to make those 5 vests... how many times does it ask you to go out and kill a lvl 75 mob?  Exactly.. it doesn't...

Tradeskilling needs to be separate from Adventureing.... there should be ZERO tradeskilling skills required to adventure... just as there is ZERO adventuring required in tradeskill.....

if you dont have to kill a lvl 75 mob to finish a lvl 75 tradeskill quest, you shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 harvest (tradeskill) node to finish a lvl 75 adventure quest..

simple as that...

SOE needs to get rid of harvesting quests in Adventure quest lines

and the fishing one at Fens STARTS the quest line.... so your screwed unless you have the fishing..

and even if you are leveling up your other tradeskills harvesting skills, who the hell levels up fishing except for provisioners... SOE knows this and its garbage they make you level up tradeskilling skills to complete adventure quests.

Any and ALL quests that require harvesting any node should give tradeskill xp ONLY and should not be in line with any adventure quest lines... period

Excuse me, but since when were harvesting skill tied to tradeskill lvl only? Your argument is invalid based on the fact that one does not need to be a tradeskiller to be able to harvest items.

Excuse me, but since when did i have to harvest an orange to gain adventure xp? you harvest to tradeskill, no other reason... there is no need to harvest anything other then for tradeskilling... you harvest items to tradeskill.. a stack of 200 ore nodes does nothing for anyone but a tradeskiller... so your argument is invalid based on the fact you know nothing about the game. 

I am lvl 80 on 5 toons, none of which are tradeskillers, none of which have harvesting skills of more then 20 or 40 or something out of 400..... there is zero need to harvest for adventure xp... you harvest for tradeskilling... its the equivalent of grinding out kills to level up adventure, you grind out tradeskill writs and make items to level up... harvesting is a tradeskill skill.... you cant grind out tradeskill without the harvest node stuff... but you can level to 80 / 200 adventure without any of it... your argument is invalid because you have no idea what your talking about and your words are nonsensical... kk thnx bbynow

IF you have 5 level 80's then you would know of the other OBVIOUS uses for harvested material.  Filling your guild harvest box for the tradeskillers or selling on the broker.  I have an honest feeling you don't even know what those are.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:08 AM   #16
Wullail
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Synergy
Rank: Officer

Lord
Wullail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 390
Default

If you don't want to harvest , don't do the quest...problem solved.

Wullail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #17
Zariel

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 39
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Zariel wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

You'll notice that in most cases, the fishing quest is the LAST quest in these series. I can count on one hand the quests in EQ2 that require fishing and they're at the end of a series of quest so can simply be skipped if you don't want to level this skill.

Well let me ask you this...

When you are grinding out that lvl 75 Tailor Writ... to make those 5 vests... how many times does it ask you to go out and kill a lvl 75 mob?  Exactly.. it doesn't...

Tradeskilling needs to be separate from Adventureing.... there should be ZERO tradeskilling skills required to adventure... just as there is ZERO adventuring required in tradeskill.....

if you dont have to kill a lvl 75 mob to finish a lvl 75 tradeskill quest, you shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 harvest (tradeskill) node to finish a lvl 75 adventure quest..

simple as that...

SOE needs to get rid of harvesting quests in Adventure quest lines

and the fishing one at Fens STARTS the quest line.... so your screwed unless you have the fishing..

and even if you are leveling up your other tradeskills harvesting skills, who the hell levels up fishing except for provisioners... SOE knows this and its garbage they make you level up tradeskilling skills to complete adventure quests.

Any and ALL quests that require harvesting any node should give tradeskill xp ONLY and should not be in line with any adventure quest lines... period

Excuse me, but since when were harvesting skill tied to tradeskill lvl only? Your argument is invalid based on the fact that one does not need to be a tradeskiller to be able to harvest items.

Excuse me, but since when did i have to harvest an orange to gain adventure xp? you harvest to tradeskill, no other reason... there is no need to harvest anything other then for tradeskilling... you harvest items to tradeskill.. a stack of 200 ore nodes does nothing for anyone but a tradeskiller... so your argument is invalid based on the fact you know nothing about the game. 

I am lvl 80 on 5 toons, none of which are tradeskillers, none of which have harvesting skills of more then 20 or 40 or something out of 400..... there is zero need to harvest for adventure xp... you harvest for tradeskilling... its the equivalent of grinding out kills to level up adventure, you grind out tradeskill writs and make items to level up... harvesting is a tradeskill skill.... you cant grind out tradeskill without the harvest node stuff... but you can level to 80 / 200 adventure without any of it... your argument is invalid because you have no idea what your talking about and your words are nonsensical... kk thnx bbynow

I'll assume none of your toons is a fury, mystic, troub, warlock, templar or swashy then, or you haven't done your epic quest line. The harvesting skill needed to be able to finish them is 240 minimum (troub) and 340 for the rest, but you do not -need- to be a tradeskiller to complete them since max harvesting lvl is tied directly to your highest lvl, be it as adventurer or tradeskiller.

I'll reiterate, you do not NEED to be a tradeskiller to harvest items. Nor do you need to have harvesting skill to be able to tradeskill. There's the handy harvester bots and harvest boxes that ppl can keep in their guildhalls, and before they were added in the game you could just as easily just buy your raws off the broker if you wanted. If harvesting were meant to be a tradecraft skill only, you wouldn't even be able to skill it up beyond your current tradeskill lvl.

A lot of ppl harvest for the rares to sell, or use for armor/weapon/spells/ca's/furniture, without ever having lvl'd their tradeskill beyond what is required for a few hq's and other quests. That is, if they chose to do those quests. If you do not want to do the pre-req's, you don't get the rewards either. Simple as that.

Zariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #18
Qandor

Loremaster
Qandor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 994
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Qandor wrote:

 

My thoughts are that there is no need for this. We are going to re-engineer the harvesting mechanics because a handful of people can't do 2 inconsequential fishing quests?

You underestimate the power of OCD

Oddly enough, this fishing quest at one point the nodes only requied 1 skill since they are unique nodes to the quest.

At some later time a revamp was done to make all ROK zones require a higher base harvesting amount, and they sorta copy-paste created the problem with that quest in particular.

OCD doesn't fly in this case. If it was a matter of OCD they would feel compelled to max all skills including fishing.

However now that the subject has been breached I expect SoE, in typical fashion, to pick up this ball and run with it. They probably already have a team of coders hurriedly applying the new swimming skillup algorythm to fishing. We certainly can't be having anyone undergo the trauma of having to skill something up. The only thing broken with swimming skillups was for Fae races. Instead of fixing that, they just butchered the whole thing.

Qandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #19
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster
Guy De Alsace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: England
Posts: 1,902
Default

That quest in Omens is stand-alone.

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

Qandor wrote:

However now that the subject has been breached I expect SoE, in typical fashion, to pick up this ball and run with it. They probably already have a team of coders hurriedly applying the new swimming skillup algorythm to fishing. We certainly can't be having anyone undergo the trauma of having to skill something up. The only thing broken with swimming skillups was for Fae races. Instead of fixing that, they just butchered the whole thing.

I gotta agree with you on the swimming thing.  I'm not really sure why its still a skill now.

As far as quest harvesting.  I have no issue with players being able to harvest nodes they don't have skill for as long as its a 30 second penalty for each tier they are under.

It might take you 5 minutes per fish harvest in fens under that model, but players who aren't interested in harvesting can still complete quests.

I don't really see how a severe enough penalty hurts anyone else.  And I reason even the most inexperienced fisherman will eventually catch a fish SMILEY

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #21
Sprin
Server: Nagafen
Guild: L U S H
Rank: LUSH (Supreme Drinker!)

General
Sprin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,364
Default

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Zariel wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

You'll notice that in most cases, the fishing quest is the LAST quest in these series. I can count on one hand the quests in EQ2 that require fishing and they're at the end of a series of quest so can simply be skipped if you don't want to level this skill.

Well let me ask you this...

When you are grinding out that lvl 75 Tailor Writ... to make those 5 vests... how many times does it ask you to go out and kill a lvl 75 mob?  Exactly.. it doesn't...

Tradeskilling needs to be separate from Adventureing.... there should be ZERO tradeskilling skills required to adventure... just as there is ZERO adventuring required in tradeskill.....

if you dont have to kill a lvl 75 mob to finish a lvl 75 tradeskill quest, you shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 harvest (tradeskill) node to finish a lvl 75 adventure quest..

simple as that...

SOE needs to get rid of harvesting quests in Adventure quest lines

and the fishing one at Fens STARTS the quest line.... so your screwed unless you have the fishing..

and even if you are leveling up your other tradeskills harvesting skills, who the hell levels up fishing except for provisioners... SOE knows this and its garbage they make you level up tradeskilling skills to complete adventure quests.

Any and ALL quests that require harvesting any node should give tradeskill xp ONLY and should not be in line with any adventure quest lines... period

Excuse me, but since when were harvesting skill tied to tradeskill lvl only? Your argument is invalid based on the fact that one does not need to be a tradeskiller to be able to harvest items.

Excuse me, but since when did i have to harvest an orange to gain adventure xp? you harvest to tradeskill, no other reason... there is no need to harvest anything other then for tradeskilling... you harvest items to tradeskill.. a stack of 200 ore nodes does nothing for anyone but a tradeskiller... so your argument is invalid based on the fact you know nothing about the game. 

I am lvl 80 on 5 toons, none of which are tradeskillers, none of which have harvesting skills of more then 20 or 40 or something out of 400..... there is zero need to harvest for adventure xp... you harvest for tradeskilling... its the equivalent of grinding out kills to level up adventure, you grind out tradeskill writs and make items to level up... harvesting is a tradeskill skill.... you cant grind out tradeskill without the harvest node stuff... but you can level to 80 / 200 adventure without any of it... your argument is invalid because you have no idea what your talking about and your words are nonsensical... kk thnx bbynow

IF you have 5 level 80's then you would know of the other OBVIOUS uses for harvested material.  Filling your guild harvest box for the tradeskillers or selling on the broker.  I have an honest feeling you don't even know what those are.

So let me get this straight, your argument that harvesting is not related to tradeskilling in anyway is that you harvest to sell to tradeskillers or harvest to provide materials for tradeskillers in your guild...   good try... 

harvesting is a tradeskill skill and needs to be removed from adventure quests, INCLUDING epic weapons... if i dont need to kill a lvl 84 named ^^^ mob for my lvl 75 tradeskill writ, i shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 tradeskill node...

making the argument that you dont NEED to have a high harvest skill to tradeskill is just nonsense... you either NEED to have it yourself or you NEED someone else to have it high enough for you to buy... just because you bought it on the broker doesnt negate the need for the high skill...  

selling a stack of 200 ore for 2 copper each, if you want to spend 2 hours harvesting 200 ore to sell them for 2copper each, go ahead newb... i'll that same time harvesting ethernaut shinys and other TSO shinys and in that same time I'll have made several hundred plat... but good try saying that its a money maker...   harvesting is only a money maker for people with no other skill in the game... its a time sink, nothing more, nothing less...

and dont tell me that harvesting makes you money because you can sell the stuff from your tradeskill.. you just got done telling me that harvesting had nothing to do with tradeskill... so try again...

the endless hours it takes to level a tradeskiller to 80 and harvesting all the materials is a timesink that can be better spent on other things....  those who think otherwise are delusional and blinded by the fact they wasted all that time on worthless enterprise..

any tradeskill you have that you make money at and I'll show you a way to spend that same time and make 100 times more money...

Hey, if you tradeskill and harvest for fun, by all means... if thats your thing, have at it, but dont try to tell me it should be related to adventure xp when there is nothing in tradeskilling that requires you do any adventuring... and dont tell me it makes more money then what you can do adventuring, because I know otherwise...

Sprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #22
Raknid

Loremaster
Raknid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default

[email protected] wrote:

So let me get this straight, your argument that harvesting is not related to tradeskilling in anyway is that you harvest to sell to tradeskillers or harvest to provide materials for tradeskillers in your guild...   good try... 

harvesting is a tradeskill skill and needs to be removed from adventure quests, INCLUDING epic weapons... if i dont need to kill a lvl 84 named ^^^ mob for my lvl 75 tradeskill writ, i shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 tradeskill node...

making the argument that you dont NEED to have a high harvest skill to tradeskill is just nonsense... you either NEED to have it yourself or you NEED someone else to have it high enough for you to buy... just because you bought it on the broker doesnt negate the need for the high skill...  

selling a stack of 200 ore for 2 copper each, if you want to spend 2 hours harvesting 200 ore to sell them for 2copper each, go ahead newb... i'll that same time harvesting ethernaut shinys and other TSO shinys and in that same time I'll have made several hundred plat... but good try saying that its a money maker...   harvesting is only a money maker for people with no other skill in the game... its a time sink, nothing more, nothing less...

and dont tell me that harvesting makes you money because you can sell the stuff from your tradeskill.. you just got done telling me that harvesting had nothing to do with tradeskill... so try again...

the endless hours it takes to level a tradeskiller to 80 and harvesting all the materials is a timesink that can be better spent on other things....  those who think otherwise are delusional and blinded by the fact they wasted all that time on worthless enterprise..

any tradeskill you have that you make money at and I'll show you a way to spend that same time and make 100 times more money...

Hey, if you tradeskill and harvest for fun, by all means... if thats your thing, have at it, but dont try to tell me it should be related to adventure xp when there is nothing in tradeskilling that requires you do any adventuring... and dont tell me it makes more money then what you can do adventuring, because I know otherwise...

This has been all hashed out before when the heritage quests for KoS came out, and those were really tradeskill requirements. They have continued to put "cross skill" quests in the game, so you are pretty much wasting your breath and getting worked up over something that isn't very likely to change.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #23
Sprin
Server: Nagafen
Guild: L U S H
Rank: LUSH (Supreme Drinker!)

General
Sprin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,364
Default

Raknid wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

So let me get this straight, your argument that harvesting is not related to tradeskilling in anyway is that you harvest to sell to tradeskillers or harvest to provide materials for tradeskillers in your guild...   good try... 

harvesting is a tradeskill skill and needs to be removed from adventure quests, INCLUDING epic weapons... if i dont need to kill a lvl 84 named ^^^ mob for my lvl 75 tradeskill writ, i shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 tradeskill node...

making the argument that you dont NEED to have a high harvest skill to tradeskill is just nonsense... you either NEED to have it yourself or you NEED someone else to have it high enough for you to buy... just because you bought it on the broker doesnt negate the need for the high skill...  

selling a stack of 200 ore for 2 copper each, if you want to spend 2 hours harvesting 200 ore to sell them for 2copper each, go ahead newb... i'll that same time harvesting ethernaut shinys and other TSO shinys and in that same time I'll have made several hundred plat... but good try saying that its a money maker...   harvesting is only a money maker for people with no other skill in the game... its a time sink, nothing more, nothing less...

and dont tell me that harvesting makes you money because you can sell the stuff from your tradeskill.. you just got done telling me that harvesting had nothing to do with tradeskill... so try again...

the endless hours it takes to level a tradeskiller to 80 and harvesting all the materials is a timesink that can be better spent on other things....  those who think otherwise are delusional and blinded by the fact they wasted all that time on worthless enterprise..

any tradeskill you have that you make money at and I'll show you a way to spend that same time and make 100 times more money...

Hey, if you tradeskill and harvest for fun, by all means... if thats your thing, have at it, but dont try to tell me it should be related to adventure xp when there is nothing in tradeskilling that requires you do any adventuring... and dont tell me it makes more money then what you can do adventuring, because I know otherwise...

This has been all hashed out before when the heritage quests for KoS came out, and those were really tradeskill requirements. They have continued to put "cross skill" quests in the game, so you are pretty much wasting your breath and getting worked up over something that isn't very likely to change.

great, then they need to put "Kill a lvl 73 mob in Kylong Plains" in the lvl 73 Provisioner writ... etc... it makes about as much sense

Sprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #24
Pervis

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,028
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Excuse me, but since when did i have to harvest an orange to gain adventure xp?

Since they made quests with harvesting components that need to be specifically harvested.

The access quest for Vally of the Rouge Magi specifically requires you to harvest 5 oranges. While you do not need to do this quest to get to level 80, you are also able to get to level 80 tradeskiller without harvesting.

Pervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #25
Finora

Tester
Finora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,423
Default

OP, there is nothing at all wrong with the mechanic in game atm as far as I can see.

If you can't harvest, then you can't do the harvest related quests. Just like if you can't kill x mob for a quest, you can't complete that quest. Just like if you can't manage to get through the tradeskill quests that run you through various high level zones in Kunark and the instances with ridiculously high level mobs a crafter isn't going to be able to get their "crafter epic".

Harvesting is a method for ALL players, crafters and adventurers alike to collect items that they might need to progress in their chosen route. I don't know about you, but 90% of the adventurers I know, even if they don't ever craft leveled their harvesting specifcally so they could get their own rares and not have to pay through the nose on the broker. Crafters can harvest up their raws so they don't have to buy from the broker.

And by your logic that harvesting is a waste of your precious time, why on Earth would you want to "waste" your time on a single quest that gives you a minor bit of AA and probably 15 gp or so with a vender fodder item. Would take you more time to fish up the things for the quest even if you HAVE the skill than it would take you to do something else and get the aa & gold.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
bks6721

Loremaster
bks6721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,593
Default

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Zariel wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

You'll notice that in most cases, the fishing quest is the LAST quest in these series. I can count on one hand the quests in EQ2 that require fishing and they're at the end of a series of quest so can simply be skipped if you don't want to level this skill.

Well let me ask you this...

When you are grinding out that lvl 75 Tailor Writ... to make those 5 vests... how many times does it ask you to go out and kill a lvl 75 mob?  Exactly.. it doesn't...

Tradeskilling needs to be separate from Adventureing.... there should be ZERO tradeskilling skills required to adventure... just as there is ZERO adventuring required in tradeskill.....

if you dont have to kill a lvl 75 mob to finish a lvl 75 tradeskill quest, you shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 harvest (tradeskill) node to finish a lvl 75 adventure quest..

simple as that...

SOE needs to get rid of harvesting quests in Adventure quest lines

and the fishing one at Fens STARTS the quest line.... so your screwed unless you have the fishing..

and even if you are leveling up your other tradeskills harvesting skills, who the hell levels up fishing except for provisioners... SOE knows this and its garbage they make you level up tradeskilling skills to complete adventure quests.

Any and ALL quests that require harvesting any node should give tradeskill xp ONLY and should not be in line with any adventure quest lines... period

Excuse me, but since when were harvesting skill tied to tradeskill lvl only? Your argument is invalid based on the fact that one does not need to be a tradeskiller to be able to harvest items.

Excuse me, but since when did i have to harvest an orange to gain adventure xp? you harvest to tradeskill, no other reason... there is no need to harvest anything other then for tradeskilling... you harvest items to tradeskill.. a stack of 200 ore nodes does nothing for anyone but a tradeskiller... so your argument is invalid based on the fact you know nothing about the game. 

I am lvl 80 on 5 toons, none of which are tradeskillers, none of which have harvesting skills of more then 20 or 40 or something out of 400..... there is zero need to harvest for adventure xp... you harvest for tradeskilling... its the equivalent of grinding out kills to level up adventure, you grind out tradeskill writs and make items to level up... harvesting is a tradeskill skill.... you cant grind out tradeskill without the harvest node stuff... but you can level to 80 / 200 adventure without any of it... your argument is invalid because you have no idea what your talking about and your words are nonsensical... kk thnx bbynow

IF you have 5 level 80's then you would know of the other OBVIOUS uses for harvested material.  Filling your guild harvest box for the tradeskillers or selling on the broker.  I have an honest feeling you don't even know what those are.

So let me get this straight, your argument that harvesting is not related to tradeskilling in anyway is that you harvest to sell to tradeskillers or harvest to provide materials for tradeskillers in your guild...   good try... 

harvesting is a tradeskill skill and needs to be removed from adventure quests, INCLUDING epic weapons... if i dont need to kill a lvl 84 named ^^^ mob for my lvl 75 tradeskill writ, i shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 tradeskill node...

making the argument that you dont NEED to have a high harvest skill to tradeskill is just nonsense... you either NEED to have it yourself or you NEED someone else to have it high enough for you to buy... just because you bought it on the broker doesnt negate the need for the high skill...  

selling a stack of 200 ore for 2 copper each, if you want to spend 2 hours harvesting 200 ore to sell them for 2copper each, go ahead newb... i'll that same time harvesting ethernaut shinys and other TSO shinys and in that same time I'll have made several hundred plat... but good try saying that its a money maker...   harvesting is only a money maker for people with no other skill in the game... its a time sink, nothing more, nothing less...

and dont tell me that harvesting makes you money because you can sell the stuff from your tradeskill.. you just got done telling me that harvesting had nothing to do with tradeskill... so try again...

the endless hours it takes to level a tradeskiller to 80 and harvesting all the materials is a timesink that can be better spent on other things....  those who think otherwise are delusional and blinded by the fact they wasted all that time on worthless enterprise..

any tradeskill you have that you make money at and I'll show you a way to spend that same time and make 100 times more money...

Hey, if you tradeskill and harvest for fun, by all means... if thats your thing, have at it, but dont try to tell me it should be related to adventure xp when there is nothing in tradeskilling that requires you do any adventuring... and dont tell me it makes more money then what you can do adventuring, because I know otherwise...

/FAIL simply because you aren't REQUIRED to do the fishing quest in the first place.   Go spend your time making 100's of plat doing something more effficient.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #27
Rijacki

Tester
Rijacki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,842
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Raknid wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

So let me get this straight, your argument that harvesting is not related to tradeskilling in anyway is that you harvest to sell to tradeskillers or harvest to provide materials for tradeskillers in your guild...   good try... 

harvesting is a tradeskill skill and needs to be removed from adventure quests, INCLUDING epic weapons... if i dont need to kill a lvl 84 named ^^^ mob for my lvl 75 tradeskill writ, i shouldnt have to harvest a lvl 75 tradeskill node...

making the argument that you dont NEED to have a high harvest skill to tradeskill is just nonsense... you either NEED to have it yourself or you NEED someone else to have it high enough for you to buy... just because you bought it on the broker doesnt negate the need for the high skill...  

selling a stack of 200 ore for 2 copper each, if you want to spend 2 hours harvesting 200 ore to sell them for 2copper each, go ahead newb... i'll that same time harvesting ethernaut shinys and other TSO shinys and in that same time I'll have made several hundred plat... but good try saying that its a money maker...   harvesting is only a money maker for people with no other skill in the game... its a time sink, nothing more, nothing less...

and dont tell me that harvesting makes you money because you can sell the stuff from your tradeskill.. you just got done telling me that harvesting had nothing to do with tradeskill... so try again...

the endless hours it takes to level a tradeskiller to 80 and harvesting all the materials is a timesink that can be better spent on other things....  those who think otherwise are delusional and blinded by the fact they wasted all that time on worthless enterprise..

any tradeskill you have that you make money at and I'll show you a way to spend that same time and make 100 times more money...

Hey, if you tradeskill and harvest for fun, by all means... if thats your thing, have at it, but dont try to tell me it should be related to adventure xp when there is nothing in tradeskilling that requires you do any adventuring... and dont tell me it makes more money then what you can do adventuring, because I know otherwise...

This has been all hashed out before when the heritage quests for KoS came out, and those were really tradeskill requirements. They have continued to put "cross skill" quests in the game, so you are pretty much wasting your breath and getting worked up over something that isn't very likely to change.

great, then they need to put "Kill a lvl 73 mob in Kylong Plains" in the lvl 73 Provisioner writ... etc... it makes about as much sense

Your crafting level does not affect your weapon skill cap, only your adventure level does. If crafting did affect the weapon skill, then your allegation would be more apt.

Your harvest skill cap is affected by your adventure or crafting level which ever is higher. Additionally, the harvesting skills are on the GENERAL page and not on the tradeskill page, another indication they are for both adventurers and tradeskillers.

Though a few of the skills on the general page are capped only by the adventure level, such as alcohol tolerance and swimming. I guess those should be considered solely combat skills 'cause a tradeskiller without high adventure level can't increase their skill in them.

__________________
Rijacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #28
Eveningsong

Tester
Eveningsong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,844
Default

Many adventurers cannot afford to just buy their armour/spells as they level up as well.  Harvesting is a good way for them to obtain rares and other raw materials that they can give to a crafter to make necessary gear, etc.

Eveningsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #29
Katz

Loremaster
Katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,601
Default

There are people in my guild that won't tradeskill at all because they hate doing it.  Yet they have maxed harvesting and sell the rares and common mats to make money.

Harvesting isn't tradeskilling.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #30
Kitsune

Loremaster
Kitsune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West coast USA
Posts: 624
Default

I always try to harvest the rares needed for my armor and weapons for me and my alts. And add in the Rares needed for your spell books. Good for you, Ghettoblaster, if you can afford to shell out the plat needed for your armor, weapons and spells all pre-made on the broker. I cannot, neither can many other players. That is why we harvest. My Tradeskillers are, in the main. not high enough adventurers to go harvest the items they need so I have my L 80 toon do this. I honestly find it a nice change to go harvesting, and enjoy it when I get the Rares...as well as find it frustrsting when I don't.

But as has been said, each to their own. No need for you to do the very few quests with a harvesting element. After all, since I don't go hard core raiding, there is content I can't do, and I don't whinge about it or expect the game to be changed for me.

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:35 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.